Menu

S/o soft tacos

What wrap is required to make a soft taco?  

1. 1. What wrap is required to make a soft taco?

• Flour tortilla
    • Corn tortilla
    • Other, please explain

For us, the difference between a taco and burrito depends on what I say it is before we start eating :tongue_smilie:

No, but for me it has to do with how easy it is for the filling to fall out and whether or not there are cold ingredients on the inside :D

It's the wrapping method. Soft taco is folded in half, while a burrito is wrapped up like a package, or at least rolled.

Typically, burritos are also bigger and likely to have more ingredients.

And this thread totally fixed my dinner rut gloominess. Thanks.

Edited by ocelotmom

Tacos are corn tortillas, burritos are flour tortillas.

A soft taco is made when you soft-fry the tortilla; a crispy one is when you crisp-fry the tortilla.

Although for no apparent reason whatsoever, breakfast tortillas come in flour tortillas. Go figure.

Those "taco shells" you buy that are nothing more than large chips, or that fast-food restuarants serve, shouldn't be called "tacos" at all.:glare:

To me the difference between a soft taco and a burrito is how the tortilla is wrapped. Folded in half and stuffed with filling and held like a hard shell taco is a soft shell taco. If the hands are folded in and the whole thing is rolled shut, it's a burrito.

Corn tortillas can only be used for tacos but flour tortillas can be used for either.

But I'm certainly no expert on this as my ethnic background and physical location are very very far from any true "mexican" places/people/culture.

Traditionally tacos are made with corn tortillas. Soft tacos are made by heating a corn tortilla on a comal, or al vapor (tacos de canasta/al vapor), tacos dorados are fried until the tortilla becomes crispy.

More recently, small flour tortillas have been used for tacos as well. These are heated on a comal, and then filled with the desired filling. As far as I have seen, they are not fried. These are usually found in the U.S. and parts of Mexico frequented by Americans, usually in the north.

Burritos are also mainly found in the US, and are made of flour tortillas. In this case, as others have said, the tortilla is wrapped around the ingredients. The number of ingredients is irrelevant, IMO

Just my 2 cents, HTH.

Danielle

Traditionally tacos are made with corn tortillas. Soft tacos are made by heating a corn tortilla on a comal, or al vapor (tacos de canasta/al vapor), tacos dorados are fried until the tortilla becomes crispy.

More recently, small flour tortillas have been used for tacos as well. These are heated on a comal, and then filled with the desired filling. As far as I have seen, they are not fried. These are usually found in the U.S. and parts of Mexico frequented by Americans, usually in the north.

Burritos are also mainly found in the US, and are made of flour tortillas. In this case, as others have said, the tortilla is wrapped around the ingredients. The number of ingredients is irrelevant, IMO

Just my 2 cents, HTH.

Danielle

:iagree:

A burrito is wrapped with a bigger style flour tortilla and the ends are tucked in. A taco is made with a corn tortilla and folded in half. It can be prepared soft or hard depending on the frying method. I'm surprised flour is winning in the poll because traditionally tacos are made with corn not flour.

Edited by MistyMountain

Tacos are made with warmed corn tortillas ONLY that are filled and folded in half. The "hard" shelled fast-food things are not tacos.

Burritos are made with flour tortillas that are filled, then folded in on the ends and rolled into a wrap.

Bill

Tacos are made with warmed corn tortillas ONLY that are filled and folded in half. The "hard" shelled fast-food things are not tacos.

Burritos are made with flour tortillas that are filled, then folded in on the ends and rolled into a wrap.

Bill

eek! agreeing with Bill here.:D

It's the wrapping method. Soft taco is folded in half, while a burrito is wrapped up like a package, or at least rolled.

Typically, burritos are also bigger and likely to have more ingredients.

And this thread totally fixed my dinner rut gloominess. Thanks.

:iagree: And in my experience, burritos are made with slightly different kinds of ingredients than tacos, like refried beans.

Some tacos have beans, too. In fact, my BIL and SIL love bean tacos that are fried hard.

Danielle

How wrong can people be? :D

Tortillas are made from ground lime-slaked maize/corn (nixtamal) and have been since ancient times. Tacos are made with tortillas, not the Johnny-come-lately (so-called) "flour tortillas."

Yes, even in Mexico some people, under the economic pressure of rising maize prices (related to ethanol production) and cuts in government subsidies have been forced to "flour tortillas," but it is an culinary abomination :tongue_smilie:

What is kind of good (while not traditional) is the Los Angeles based innovation of the Korean taco. This once hot food trend has virtually moved into being a mainstream item here. First served on gourmet food trucks (that had their own Twitter-feeds, and people chasing them around town) they feature fillings like Korean short-ribs and Kim Chee. Delicious...and served with maize-based tortillas (because that is the right thing to do ;))

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I vote corn, but I remember way back when Taco Bell has something known as a Taco Light or something like that. It was a crunchy taco made with a flour tortilla that had been folded and fried. Those were the best!

So essentially I think a taco has to be crunchy.

I vote corn, but I remember way back when Taco Bell has something known as a Taco Light or something like that. It was a crunchy taco made with a flour tortilla that had been folded and fried. Those were the best!

So essentially I think a taco has to be crunchy.

Note to self: remove Chucki from my book of life :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Tortillas are made from ground lime-slaked maize/corn (nixtamal) and have been since ancient times. Tacos are made with tortillas, not the Johnny-come-lately (so-called) "flour tortillas."

Yes, even in Mexico some people, under the economic pressure of rising maize prices (related to ethanol production) and cuts in government subsidies have been forced to "flour tortillas," but it is an culinary abomination :tongue_smilie:

For that matter, the corn tortillas you get in standard US supermarkets are absolutely nothing like true corn tortillas.

How wrong can people be? :D

Bill

Bill makes some very good points here.

Although, I would argue the rise in corn prices is not leading people in Mexico to move to flour tortillas. Corn tortillas cost 14 pesos (approx $1.25 USD) for a full kilo. This is a rise of about 4 pesos in 2 years. While fresh flour tortillas from a tortilleria cost roughly 20 pesos (1.75) for 10 tortillas. Even the ones sold in stores, that taste like card board are at about the same price, unless they are supper bad and then it is about 20 in the pack for 20 pesos. These are usually only found further north, though.

Danielle

For that matter, the corn tortillas you get in standard US supermarkets are absolutely nothing like true corn tortillas.

We are fortunate to have a couple near-by markets that have tortillarias inside that make fresh tortillas on the spot, and also sell fresh masa for use at home.

There is nothing quite like fresh tortillas handmade from scratch, but it is a chore. I have never been able to master hand-patting (vs using a press) but that makes a big difference too.

Bill

My dad says the difference between a taco and a burrito is the tortilla. What says the hive on this very important culinary question?

I'll take any kind of flatbread made of any kind of grain(s) and prepared in whatever way appeals to me at the time, and stuff it with whatever we've got on hand or whatever looked good at the farmers market. Then I make up a name to go with it. It's not authentic anything, but mmmmm.... and if you get snippy about it you can't come to dinner. :D

Bill makes some very good points here.

Although, I would argue the rise in corn prices is not leading people in Mexico to move to flour tortillas. Corn tortillas cost 14 pesos (approx $1.25 USD) for a full kilo. This is a rise of about 4 pesos in 2 years. While fresh flour tortillas from a tortilleria cost roughly 20 pesos (1.75) for 10 tortillas. Even the ones sold in stores, that taste like card board are at about the same price, unless they are supper bad and then it is about 20 in the pack for 20 pesos. These are usually only found further north, though.

Danielle

I'll defer to local knowledge. I was under the impression (misimpression?) that Mexico was suffering the after-effects of a "tortilla crisis" that started about 5 years ago (or so) when government policies and ethanol production drove up prices.

Why eat cardboard if you can eat delicious tortillas more cheaply? Of course I suspect more outlets use masa harina (dried masa flour) instead of fresh nixtamal than they did in the past. Is that so?

Bill

I haven't read the other responses yet but, listen, I live in Southern CA where Mexican food reigns supreme. Not only that but I live in a town that has a rich Mexican history.

We go to an authentic Mom and Pop Mexican food place every Tuesday night for tacos. I always order a carne asada soft shelled taco which is made with corn tortillas.

I also have places where I regular order soft tacos that are made with flour tortillas.

You can have a soft taco with either corn or flour tortilla. :D

LOL...you'll have to remove me too then because I agree with her.

You are continually being written out and then written back in when you say something smart (which is far more often than not, but oh the inconsistency! :D)

Ol' Parrothead will no doubt redeem herself too. Maybe we should talk about margaritas?

Bill (who is supposed to let you know when he is joking, and he's not :tongue_smilie:)

I'll defer to local knowledge. I was under the impression (misimpression?) that Mexico was suffering the after-effects of a "tortilla crisis" that started about 5 years ago (or so) when government policies and ethanol production drove up prices.

Bill

Let me just say that you are not misinformed. This is still a crisis here. The minimum wage is very low, so when prices on corn move at all, people notice. There are some people that will eat 1/2 a kilo in one sitting. Tortillas are present at every meal. Also, it affect all the street vendors who live day by day using corn products. It trickles down, and affects the prices on everything. If you have always paid 10 pesos for a taco that now cost 12-14, you are going to notice, and even cut back.

Why eat cardboard if you can eat delicious tortillas more cheaply? Of course I suspect more outlets use masa harina (dried masa flour) instead of fresh nixtamal than they did in the past. Is that so?

There are more places that do. In fact you will see signs that say: se usa Maseca, Maize 100% Mexicano. But there are still a larger majority of places that bring in corn kernels to be ground up for the maza. In smaller pueblos, the house wives still grind by hand. In fact, my husbands aunt has a basement where she has her corn drying. He has fond memories of going to her farm, and watching her grind the corn.

Danielle

ETA:

LOL

I'll have to see if I can find corn ones or if I can at least find the ingredients to make them. For whatever reason the stores around here don't cater to foodies. It was better where I was in CT. But here? Nah.

Here is a pic of what you could use. http://www.clarinveracruzano.com/gruma-anade-nutrientes-a-harinas-ante-problemas-de-salud-en-el-pais

Edited by USDGAL

LOL

Well my thought is that when something is bland and yucky then deep fry it to improve flavor and texture. Wheat flour tortillas for tacos are YUCKY. So deep frying them would improve them for sure. So when your choices are floppy tasteless flour tortillas or crunchy corn shells that have been deep fried, is it no wonder?!

I'll have to see if I can find corn ones or if I can at least find the ingredients to make them. For whatever reason the stores around here don't cater to foodies. It was better where I was in CT. But here? Nah.

Do you have no stores that cater to Mexican immigrants?

Bill

Let me just say that you are not misinformed. This is still a crisis here. The minimum wage is very low, so when prices on corn move at all, people notice. There are some people that will eat 1/2 a kilo in one sitting. Tortillas are present at every meal. Also, it affect all the street vendors who live day by day using corn products. It trickles down, and affects the prices on everything. If you have always paid 10 pesos for a taco that now cost 12-14, you are going to notice, and even cut back.

There are more places that do. In fact you will see signs that say: se usa Maseca, Maize 100% Mexicano. But there are still a larger majority of places that bring in corn kernels to be ground up for the maza. In smaller pueblos, the house wives still grind by hand. In fact, my husbands aunt has a basement where she has her corn drying. He has fond memories of going to her farm, and watching her grind the corn.

Danielle

ETA:

Here is a pic of what you could use. http://www.clarinveracruzano.com/gruma-anade-nutrientes-a-harinas-ante-problemas-de-salud-en-el-pais

I cried when the mano (grinding stone) from my metate (a legged grinding table carved from volcanic basalt) fell and broke in half. Not that I used it all that often, but it is such a nice one and I've never found the right mano to replace the broken one. *Sigh*

Bill

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

No. We have some Asian markets. There are some halal meat markets. That's about it.

I don't think there are a lot of Mexicans in my area.

Danielle's suggestion of using masa harina (dried masa) would give you a way to make pretty good (way better than insipid and stale store bought ones) pretty easily. You'd probably need a press, but otherwise it is simple.

Bill

Well my thought is that when something is bland and yucky then deep fry it to improve flavor and texture. Wheat flour tortillas for tacos are YUCKY. So deep frying them would improve them for sure. So when your choices are floppy tasteless flour tortillas or crunchy corn shells that have been deep fried, is it no wonder?!

:blink:

You cannot use "wheat flour tortillas" and "tacos" in the same breath.

The first tortillas I bought in Norfolk, Virginia, back in the late 60s were--wait for it--canned.:svengo:

Happily, I've been in the West since 1974 and have always been able to buy [fairly] fresh corn tortillas (for tacos and enchiladas) and flour tortillas (for burritos and quesadillas).

:blink:

You cannot use "wheat flour tortillas" and "tacos" in the same breath.

The first tortillas I bought in Norfolk, Virginia, back in the late 60s were--wait for it--canned.:svengo:

Happily, I've been in the West since 1974 and have always been able to buy [fairly] fresh corn tortillas (for tacos and enchiladas) and flour tortillas (for burritos and quesadillas).

No wonder we are such star-crossed lovers Ellie :D

My apologies to Mr Ellie.

Bill

I asked my Mexican dh. He says tacos are filled and folded, traditionally with corn tortillas, various hardness from just warmed to fried crisp, flour soft tacos are an American thing. They also usually contain fresh veggies- lettuce, tomato, cilantro, etc. Burritoes are traditionally flour shell, rolled for taking while you work. The reason being flour is studier and easily warmed over a fire, usually containing only meat, beans and/or cheese. However, he says all the different names of Mexican "in a shell" food is American. In Mexico, you'd have the meat and beans and your choice of additional toppings, if available, and whatever tortillas mom had made. Mom wouldn't say we're having tacos, burritoes, etc. She'd say we're having chicken and beans, or beef and rice, or eggs and beans, or whatever. Putting it in or eating it with a tortilla was a given. If she had both made then you had a choice. If not, you ate what she had.

A burrito is wrapped with a bigger style flour tortilla and the ends are tucked in. A taco is made with a corn tortilla and folded in half. It can be prepared soft or hard depending on the frying method.

Zactly.

I'm surprised flour is winning in the poll because traditionally tacos are made with corn not flour.

I know, right?