Menu

Failing a Grade

It's pretty much a mathematical certainty that my DD15 will be failing the 10th grade. And by that, I don't mean 1 class....I mean most, if not all, of her classes. So...really...the whole grade.

She'll be returning to public school next year and it's probably going to be rather traumatic for her, since she'll be back with the kids she went to grade and middle school with, but they'll be ahead. I'm not even sure how much credit they'll give her for 9th grade at this point since she was largely home schooled last year and now failing 10th, so I don't know how much credibility they'll lend to her 9th grade year grades.

I'm trying not to be in all-out panic mode about her life in general. I can't help but think that a person who can't manage to graduate high school when there are no learning disabilities involved doesn't have a particularly positive prognosis for her life going forward. I've never known anyone who failed a grade or didn't graduate at all. She really has no outside interests that could become a vocation (like cooking, or computers, or mechanical ability).

Can someone please tell me about anyone they've known who was in a similar circumstance that went on to support themselves and not live with their mother for the rest of their lives?

I guess my first question would be why is she failing? Is it lack of understanding or lack of effort? I fell in with the wrong crowd and didn't put forth the effort, especially in a class that was already difficult for me and failed Algebra II my sophomore year. Then I got very ill halfway through my junior ear and dropped out of high school and got my GED. I ended up with two masters degrees and I think I'm doing a pretty good job homeschooling, so I think it turned out okay.

FWIW, I pretty much failed 9th grade (I didn't actually fail, but got several Ds). I switched schools in 10th and was *much* happier. I ended up going to college and was very successful in a career after college (and I never came back home to live either).

Is your daughter doing online school? Do you know why she is failing? Has she always had trouble or is this a new thing? What are you doing to help her? I think the reason for her failure has much to do with whether she will be able to turn it around later on.

Have you thought about counseling? My first thought when I hear about a teen who doesn't have LDs is depression. There's also the possibility that she does have LDs, but she's been able to cover it up until now.

I figure it can't hurt to look into it.

Yes, she's in one-on-one counseling weekly, and group therapy for teens with Aspergers every other week. I also thought she may be depressed, but the therapist (more than one, actually) says no.

She has also been repeatedly tested for learning disabilities (although not in the last three years) and there are none indicated.

The only thing I can think of that we're not treating now and haven't treated in years is a long ago ADHD diagnosis. I was convinced it wasn't accurate, and when we did medicate it seemed to make it worse. That said, she's going back for another day of diagnostics to a pediatic Psychology/Occ Health group next month. It's not an exact science, brains change through puberty and I want to be sure I have every possible piece of information to arm her with so she gets every single resource she can when she goes back to school in the fall.

I guess my first question would be why is she failing? Is it lack of understanding or lack of effort? I fell in with the wrong crowd and didn't put forth the effort, especially in a class that was already difficult for me and failed Algebra II my sophomore year. Then I got very ill halfway through my junior ear and dropped out of high school and got my GED. I ended up with two masters degrees and I think I'm doing a pretty good job homeschooling, so I think it turned out okay.

She isn't in with the wrong crowd. She has no crowd. She has Aspergers and has always had difficulty in that arena. Most of the time she just doesn't do the work. When she does do it (and puts in even a little effort) she does quite well. She rushes through tests, though, and doesn't study for them anyway.

FWIW, I pretty much failed 9th grade (I didn't actually fail, but got several Ds). I switched schools in 10th and was *much* happier. I ended up going to college and was very successful in a career after college (and I never came back home to live either).

Is your daughter doing online school? Do you know why she is failing? Has she always had trouble or is this a new thing? What are you doing to help her? I think the reason for her failure has much to do with whether she will be able to turn it around later on.

Well that's comforting!

She has always had difficulty at school. She pretty much just hates it. She When I pulled her out of public and home schooled in 8th grade she did significantly better. It was as if she was a different kid.

Last year (9th grade) was bad, primarily because the person responsible for helping/guiding/teaching her was not very good at it. It was a combination of home school classes and a couple of online public school classes. This year she transitioned to 100% online school and it has been a disaster. So....back to brick and mortar she goes. I'm hoping it isn't awful.

She has always had difficulty at school. She pretty much just hates it. She When I pulled her out of public and home schooled in 8th grade she did significantly better. It was as if she was a different kid.

Last year (9th grade) was bad, primarily because the person responsible for helping/guiding/teaching her was not very good at it. It was a combination of home school classes and a couple of online public school classes. This year she transitioned to 100% online school and it has been a disaster. So....back to brick and mortar she goes. I'm hoping it isn't awful.

If she did significantly better at home (presumably with you teaching, not with an on-line school), wouldn't it be better for you to teach her at home? You, not on-line classes? If she's "always had difficulty at school" seems as if that would be the last place she should go.

Asperger's puts a whole other spin on it.

My two older girls are both Aspie.

It's possible that she's connected all things academic with the social issues and gave up on them early on.

Is it possible for you to hs her through high school since you said she did significantly better while hsed?

Neither of my Aspies would do well with online school. They might do okay with a single online class. My 16yo is going to try out a free coursera fantasy/sci fi literature class this summer.

My oldest went to b&m ps for two years and it has caused ongoing problems for her. She was treated very poorly by the other students and it makes it hard for her to be willing to even try interacting with people outside of the family even though she is very lonely. She's in social skills classes now that she really enjoys.

If she did significantly better at home (presumably with you teaching, not with an on-line school), wouldn't it be better for you to teach her at home? You, not on-line classes? If she's "always had difficulty at school" seems as if that would be the last place she should go.

That does seem logical, but it is no longer an option, unfortunately.

I also don't think it would necessarily be best at this point. Lots of posts about this previously so I won't bore the world with the details again, but basically it was better academically but nearly ruined our relationship. Also, I'm not home enough to do it. I travel frequently for my job, have not yet been successful in getting another one, and cannot depend on her father to give the time and attention needed to do it like I did when she was in 8th grade.

Agreed.

Also, maybe she needs to change her goal/focus. Instead of having years and years of "busy work" in her opinion, to do, what if you got drastic and said she could start studying for a GED? Keep her home, let her study for it (there are various computer programs and such I believe) and when she passes she graduates. Let her see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, what does she do with her time when she isn't studying? What does she do all day?

Asperger's puts a whole other spin on it.

My two older girls are both Aspie.

It's possible that she's connected all things academic with the social issues and gave up on them early on.

Is it possible for you to hs her through high school since you said she did significantly better while hsed?

Neither of my Aspies would do well with online school. They might do okay with a single online class. My 16yo is going to try out a free coursera fantasy/sci fi literature class this summer.

My oldest went to b&m ps for two years and it has caused ongoing problems for her. She was treated very poorly by the other students and it makes it hard for her to be willing to even try interacting with people outside of the family even though she is very lonely. She's in social skills classes now that she really enjoys.

It isn't possble, unfortunately. That said, I won't have her entire self-worth damaged by b&m school again. If it goes sour, I'll pull her out in a heartbeat and do something else Not sure what, exactly, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. Her therapist actually recommended going to back to regular school, too, based on their sessions. Not sure of the detail behind that, but it gives me some hope that maybe it will be better this time around.

That does seem logical, but it is no longer an option, unfortunately.

I also don't think it would necessarily be best at this point. Lots of posts about this previously so I won't bore the world with the details again, but basically it was better academically but nearly ruined our relationship. Also, I'm not home enough to do it. I travel frequently for my job, have not yet been successful in getting another one, and cannot depend on her father to give the time and attention needed to do it like I did when she was in 8th grade.

OIC.

Well, you can only do the best that you can do (and I'm not saying that sarcastically or anything :) ).

The world will not come to an end if she doesn't get good grades. We have all heard the stories of people who totally bombed in school and went on to live productive lives. We've all heard the opposite, too--the ones who did well in school but were slackers IRL. It's up to your dd how she does; school is almost irrelevant.

My suggestion would be to get in and meet with the school counselor now. Go in and talk with her about your dd and her needs, and see what they can do as far as assigning her the teachers who would work best with her needs and personality. They should also have a study skills class or supervised study hall so she has someone there basically making sure she is working on homework or studying for tests. Also get the process for an IEP started now so it is instituted by the time she starts in the fall.

Have you spoken with the on-line school to ensure she doesn't fail and what credits will transfer? I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd direct some attention there. Then I'd speak with the ps counselor and form a plan for next year. The transition next year may be easier with a little effort (even summer school) under your supervision.

It sounds like she needs an adult ensuring the work is done daily.

Edited by Tammyla

Well that's comforting!

Have you had her evaluated for a learning disability, ADHD, visual problems, or auditory processing problems? The fact that she's always had trouble except when she had good one-on-one support in 8th grade really does point to an LD or something similar. She will likely need support wherever she goes, at least until she learns how to compensate for whatever is going on, and it would be good to know what the problem is.

ETA: I should have read the other responses first. I see that you already have this covered. Hopefully she will have an IEP in school and will get the support she needs.

Edited by EKS

Have you thought about counseling? My first thought when I hear about a teen who doesn't have LDs is depression. There's also the possibility that she does have LDs, but she's been able to cover it up until now.

I figure it can't hurt to look into it.

:iagree::iagree:

Is there any way she could go to a different school? I would think, at 15, it might be traumatizing to go back into this school and go in as a failed student. If it isn't *just* slacking, but could be ADHD/undiagnosed LD/depression, that seems almost cruel to put her through, KWIM?

I do understand what you are saying about lacking any interests that could lead to supporting herself. My DS12 is much like that, I worry about it sometimes. I'm going to PM you because I *do* know someone who failed/had no interests/and has become self supporting, but the details are personal and not mine so.....I doubt they'd want it posted for the whole world.

:grouphug: It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place.

I would look at other school options. Do you have a vocational school as an option? Many Aspies just don't do well in the traditionally structured school. I'd look for something that allows more flexibility, possibly even a community college or community classes of some sort. Because she's 16, I'd also look for a school to work, internship, jobs type program.

My brother is autistic. Home school fell apart in seventh grade. Went to eighth and ninth grade, failed ninth. Expelled from ninth grade try #2, moved to a different public school. Squeaked through graduating. Went to JC, took deductive logic as an elective. Blew the curve. Took accounting. Blew the curve. Got his BA, got an articling position with an accounting firm. Is now 5/6ths of the way through to becoming a Chartered Accountant.

My brother is autistic. Home school fell apart in seventh grade. Went to eighth and ninth grade, failed ninth. Expelled from ninth grade try #2, moved to a different public school. Squeaked through graduating. Went to JC, took deductive logic as an elective. Blew the curve. Took accounting. Blew the curve. Got his BA, got an articling position with an accounting firm. Is now 5/6ths of the way through to becoming a Chartered Accountant.

:001_smile: I'm so glad for your brother (and especially for your parents who must have sweated buckets).

Life must still be a bit challenging for him,but how terrific to have this kind of success.

I'd look more at the ADHD diagnosis and whether treating (whether by diet changes, meds or counseling/coping techniques) might help now. My dad and my brother have both had ADHD their whole lives, but they were always up at the top of their classes until their teen years. My brother almost failed out of high school, and my dad DID fail out of his first year of college, because the effects of the ADHD got worse during/after adolescence and the level of work began to require a level of concentration that their overactive brains couldn't handle.

My ds15 has Aspergers and does all online classes. However, I do assist him with all of it. He's slowly becoming more independent though, which is really good to see. He's a good student but I have to keep his attitude in check. He gets really depressed and blames schoolwork as a large part of it. He feels he is doing too much but he is doing a lot less than what I really believe he can do. His idea of too much is writing one paragraph per subject. A 5-paragraph essay takes him 5 days. I do not believe he would fail to do his work if I was hands off, but I do believe his work would suffer without the guidance I provide. I'm positive he would procrastinate and try to cut corners.

It's hard. :grouphug:

ETA: My son has absolutely no interest in anything besides video games. He doesn't want to go to college but his dad and I will press the issue because our son does listen to us even if he grumbles about it. It's something I've actually been worrying about because with his Aspergers, I'm not sure what kind of job, without college, he would be able to get that would allow him to support himself. Right now, he gets upset at the idea that he is expected to move out at some point as an adult. He wants to live with us always. The further he gets into school, the more I'm going to worry! I'd like him to go to a Georgia Perimeter College campus. They have online classes too. It will be worth a try at least. He'll finish his sophmore year in June. I have him taking only 4 classes at a time, but as soon as one ends, I enroll him in the next one, so we school year round. It's not an easy task but school just doesn't seem like a good fit for him.

Edited by Night Elf

You are set on her going to public school. Does your district have more than one high school. If so, once they determine what grade she is in can you request to pupil place her at another school. You may have to provide the transportation, but this may be an option for her to be in public school and still avoid the peers she previously attended school with. I would involve her in the decision. Some school districts will permit such moves for social reasons related to being held back. Additionally, when you are setting up the class schedule involve her in the decision for which classes to take.

Don't lose all hope. I almost failed 10th grade, was kicked out in 11th, and for all intents and purposes failed 12th (they only passed me to get rid of me, and actually told this to my parents!)

After a couple years floundering, I am now finishing my junior year of college with a 3.8 gpa, 4 minors, and a member of my school's honor's program.

Your DD may just need time to mature, or a reason to get things together, or... something. I don't really have any answers for you- just :grouphug:. Her future isn't entirely ruined because of a bad high school experience. (Tougher, yes, but not ruined.)

Well that's comforting!

I haven't read the posts beyond this one, so sorry if this has already been addressed. :tongue_smilie: But I'm confused. You say she has no LDs and yet she's got Aspergers and has a diagnosis of ADHD. If I'm not mistaken, both of those will affect how she learns. In school was bad for her, so she went home and did much better - except the teacher guiding her wasn't a good fit. So then you went to completely online which was a disaster. Are you sure that going back into the school the best answer? I would think that she needs to be assessed for what type of learning works best for her, and then go with a program based on that. Online learning doesn't work well for everyone. I would be inclined to repeat 10th at home, but with better guidance and teaching style which is a better fit. I'm assuming she's not thrilled about going back to school, and if that's the case, I'd use it to encourage her to put in effort to her work at home. Maybe there could be a contract drawn up clearly stating her responsibility in her education? I hope you find some answers which help her to succeed. :grouphug:

ETA: Now I went back and read. I'm sorry - this seems so difficult. I hope the school can come up with a plan for her which will work well. I like the idea of her going to a different public school at least, if that's possible. I think she would benefit greatly from someone at the school following her one-on-one to help her navigate the courses, address problems quickly, and act as a liaison with her teachers advocating for whatever she needs to do well.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Can someone please tell me about anyone they've known who was in a similar circumstance that went on to support themselves and not live with their mother for the rest of their lives?

Many, including many friends from high school. In general, along with the extra-studious (nerdy) types, these people seem to be the most well-adjusted adults.

One major drinker, parents had no idea what to do, never graduated high school. Went on to earn GED, A.D., and many B.S. classes. Entered retail management making upwards of $75K.

One complete partier, abusive boyfriend, parents had no idea what to do, never graduated high school. Entered retail as a teen and has been a successful manager for Ross for many years, continues to be happily married with grown children.

One in and out of the juvenile court system, never graduated. Somehow ended up working at Microsoft, I don't know circumstances (I've stalked) but financially successful and married a corporate woman who is well known in a large metro area for her work with children.

Another alcholic by high school, somehow turned his life around after hitting bottom, was a used car salesman and now appears to be supporting himself through his art!

I went to school with a large circle of broken kids, mostly from upper-middle class families with uninvolved parents. Yes, there are some that struggled then and continue to do so. Some of the ones who have hit that bottom now and never come back seemed to be on the right track during high school and subsequent years. But I'm continually surprised by the number of people I've seen on Facebook who have managed to have very real and successful lives (by any standard).

I have followed your situation with your dd for a while. You are a great mom, who is doing everything you can to help her, although she seems unable to accept your help. She may not do this on any kind of seemingly reasonable timetable, but hopefully continued counseling will offer another avenue of support for her. My heart aches for you.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am sorry you and your DD are having such a hard time. I understand how difficult it can be when a child hates school work. :grouphug:

One thing I don't understand, however, is your comment about how she doesn't do her work. Not completing their work is not an option for my kids, no matter how much they hate it. (And I have one who hates it a LOT! And complains constantly.) Now, I don't have kids with Ausberger's and none of mine are teens, so maybe that makes a difference somehow, but my DS10 has ADHD. Schoolwork is very difficult for him. He really would strongly prefer to do anything else, but he doesn't have that option. He knows this, and things have gotten a bit easier the last few months since he has seen that I am not going to give in, no matter how he whines, or hides, or "loses" his work.

My brother (now 30) also had ADHD as a child, and I think some other LD's, although they were not diagnosed. My parents had to stay on him every. single. day to make sure he was completing his homework. He had a planner that he had to write down every assignment for every class. He had to get the teacher to sign it every day, and then my parents had to sign it every day saying that they were aware of his assignments and they made sure he completed them. Otherwise, he would most definitely have failed school altogether. His only motivation was the consequence of what would happen if he did not do it. He is very smart, he is just stubborn and didn't care.

So, I say all of that to say that it seems like the best way to get a child who does not want to do her work to do it, is to stay on top of it all the time. Make her miserable with the level of accountability that you enforce, and let her know that if she does it on her own her life will be MUCH easier and more pleasant.

Good luck with this! :001_smile:

Can she qualify for an IEP? Having an educational plan that allows for some accommodations may be the answer for her. Maybe her only accommodation is that she needs someone to be more accountable to. Did she get the 1/2 year credits from the first part of the school year? Or did she fail those too?

Is summer school in a brick and mortar school an option for her?

I know a lot of Aspies struggle with critical thinking. They think and learn in boxes and struggle to move from one box to the other and back again. I don't know anything about the online program you were using, but I can see how a particular program's methods may not be conducive to learning for an Aspie.

Ds17 is very bright, but has got a C in both of the online classes he has taken (and they were both very easy classes). He just doesn't learn well in that environment and Especially does poorly with turning in work for these classes. He is a procrastinator and online does not work good for procrastinators.

One nice thing about high school is that people take classes in different years, so it may not be as obvious as you would think that she failed. Yes, there are always basics like English 10, but the rest are fairly variable. She can also just say she is taking things in a different order due to her homeschooling. If she will take a few summer classes, she may still be able to graduate on time.

I can see where they might not be classified as LDs per se, but a combination of ADHD and Aspergers is certainly going to have a significant effect on the child's ability to learn. I know it does for my DS. I hope you are able to get some additional answers for your DD. :grouphug:

Thank you for sharing this!!!

I'd look more at the ADHD diagnosis and whether treating (whether by diet changes, meds or counseling/coping techniques) might help now. My dad and my brother have both had ADHD their whole lives, but they were always up at the top of their classes until their teen years. My brother almost failed out of high school, and my dad DID fail out of his first year of college, because the effects of the ADHD got worse during/after adolescence and the level of work began to require a level of concentration that their overactive brains couldn't handle.

Good advice. This is exactly why I've made an appointment for her for re-diagnosis. I want to make sure we know exactly what we're dealing with.

Don't lose all hope. I almost failed 10th grade, was kicked out in 11th, and for all intents and purposes failed 12th (they only passed me to get rid of me, and actually told this to my parents!)

After a couple years floundering, I am now finishing my junior year of college with a 3.8 gpa, 4 minors, and a member of my school's honor's program.

Your DD may just need time to mature, or a reason to get things together, or... something. I don't really have any answers for you- just :grouphug:. Her future isn't entirely ruined because of a bad high school experience. (Tougher, yes, but not ruined.)

Thank you! (And...congratulations!)

One question....is there anything that your parents could have done differently to have helped you succeed in high school?

My ds15 has Aspergers and does all online classes. However, I do assist him with all of it. He's slowly becoming more independent though, which is really good to see. He's a good student but I have to keep his attitude in check. He gets really depressed and blames schoolwork as a large part of it. He feels he is doing too much but he is doing a lot less than what I really believe he can do. His idea of too much is writing one paragraph per subject. A 5-paragraph essay takes him 5 days. I do not believe he would fail to do his work if I was hands off, but I do believe his work would suffer without the guidance I provide. I'm positive he would procrastinate and try to cut corners.

It's hard. :grouphug:

ETA: My son has absolutely no interest in anything besides video games. He doesn't want to go to college but his dad and I will press the issue because our son does listen to us even if he grumbles about it. It's something I've actually been worrying about because with his Aspergers, I'm not sure what kind of job, without college, he would be able to get that would allow him to support himself. Right now, he gets upset at the idea that he is expected to move out at some point as an adult. He wants to live with us always. The further he gets into school, the more I'm going to worry! I'd like him to go to a Georgia Perimeter College campus. They have online classes too. It will be worth a try at least. He'll finish his sophmore year in June. I have him taking only 4 classes at a time, but as soon as one ends, I enroll him in the next one, so we school year round. It's not an easy task but school just doesn't seem like a good fit for him.

Part of me wishes I had the time to sit with her all day to help her, but I just don't. No way around it. Someone has to work, and that someone is me.

Another part of me says that I cannot sit with her forever. I have got to figure out a way to get her to be self-motiviated, but then that whole statement is an oxymoron, isn't it? :-)

This is so ridiculously hard.

QValencia, he's 26 now. He also lives on his own (has since he finished school) and gets along very well with my mother. But she still says the last year home schooling him, where they did distributed education, was one of the worst of her life.

QValencia, he's 26 now. He also lives on his own (has since he finished school) and gets along very well with my mother. But she still says the last year home schooling him, where they did distributed education, was one of the worst of her life.

Can you please explain what "distributed education" is?

Distributed education is basically what my province calls correspondence. This was back before we had online schools here, so instead you got a pile of workbooks, supplies, and so on. The parent was supposed to supervise the homework part and the student sent in samples to be graded. It was a massive disaster and my brother got through maybe 20 percent of it.

I'm pretty sure it's all online now.

Distributed education is basically what my province calls correspondence. This was back before we had online schools here, so instead you got a pile of workbooks, supplies, and so on. The parent was supposed to supervise the homework part and the student sent in samples to be graded. It was a massive disaster and my brother got through maybe 20 percent of it.

I'm pretty sure it's all online now.

Ahh.....got it. Thanks.

I've learned (too late to salvage the school year) that it obviously is a massive disaster for her, too. I'm hopeful that going into next year with an IEP will be better in every way for her. She has also been working on her social skills, so perhaps she'll find a friend.

It's comforting to read the stories here about others who have had similar troubles and gone on to lead normal lives. I'm just trying to help set her up for that sort of success, and so far...not so good.