Menu

What the heck is wrong with people?

It says she was taking the newborn to a hospital, one week after a home birth. It also says that the infant was "tiny".

My thought is that the child came prematurely, and that the mom was under-prepared, and had no car seat -- and for some reason didn't think to call any helpful organizations for her predicament.

On the other hand, a difficult labor, at home, alone, followed by postpartum stuff while caring for a premature newborn at home, alone -- that's a bit crazy making. I can see her not being willing to 'reach out' until she realized that the baby really needed to get to a hospital.

So she got in her car and took him/her to a hospital.

With few other choices in the house, and nothing truly suitable -- a purse is strong, wind-proof, warm and easy to carry. I can see myself doing that.

It's also possible that she intended to surrender / abandon the infant at the hospital -- which explains why calling an ambulance wasn't an option. On the other hand, plain old money problems might also explain why an ambulance wasn't an option.

Having no phone service is a tentative idea that might explain her actions in not 'reaching out' for help. Especially if she lived rurally, or semi-rurally.

Did anyone else notice the location? I haven't been to St. Croix but I have been to St. John, St. Thomas, and Virgin Gorda. I could totally see that happening there. It's a different type of life then we have. Doesn't mean it was an awesome decision the gal made but it's not Chicago or Dallas.

Edited by aggieamy

My brain wasn't functioning very well when I was 1 week postpartum -- and I didn't have my baby at home unexpectedly.

Additionally, if I thought calling an ambulance would result in my child being taken into CPS custody, or if I thought it risked my own arrest (if I abandoned my baby, they'd know my name and address)... yeah, maybe. Not just to avoid the cost -- unless the 'cost' would mean that I couldn't pay my rent and baby and I would find ourselves among the starving homeless.

Not to mention that all it takes to actually not be able to call an ambulance is a simple thing like not having a working phone on hand, and not having a neighbor within reach -- which is actually something that can happen quite easily.

People like me, with the luxury of never having actually come flat against the rough concrete of life's tough decisions... I like to give the benefit of the doubt to people who live there (possibly on a daily basis). I also tend to give them my respect. They are doing a harder thing than I have ever done. From my armchair, maybe I could do it better -- but that sister of mine did not have an armchair. She had an infant who needed a hospital. In my 'benefit of the doubt' approach to situations, I like to imagine she was doing the best she could.

If staying home risks the baby's life, and taking him/her to the hospital in a risky way risks the baby's life -- that's a crisis. Sometimes there aren't any good choices -- and sometimes there are, but the craziness of the situation puts blinders on us. Hasn't that ever happened to you in some sort of smaller way?

I was picturing some big cloth tote-bag type thing where the sides were folded down a little and the baby was laid inside. But, the article said she had to unzip the bag to show the officer the baby. Wow. :confused:

That part has me wondering if the baby is even hers, or if it is going to turn out that the baby was stolen.

My brain wasn't functioning very well when I was 1 week postpartum -- and I didn't have my baby at home unexpectedly.

Additionally, if I thought calling an ambulance would result in my child being taken into CPS custody, or if I thought it risked my own arrest (if I abandoned my baby, they'd know my name and address)... yeah, maybe. Not just to avoid the cost -- unless the 'cost' would mean that I couldn't pay my rent and baby and I would find ourselves among the starving homeless.

Not to mention that all it takes to actually not be able to call an ambulance is a simple thing like not having a working phone on hand, and not having a neighbor within reach -- which is actually something that can happen quite easily.

People like me, with the luxury of never having actually come flat against the rough concrete of life's tough decisions... I like to give the benefit of the doubt to people who live there (possibly on a daily basis). I also tend to give them my respect. They are doing a harder thing than I have ever done. From my armchair, maybe I could do it better -- but that sister of mine did not have an armchair. She had an infant who needed a hospital. In my 'benefit of the doubt' approach to situations, I like to imagine she was doing the best she could.

If staying home risks the baby's life, and taking him/her to the hospital in a risky way risks the baby's life -- that's a crisis. Sometimes there aren't any good choices -- and sometimes there are, but the craziness of the situation puts blinders on us. Hasn't that ever happened to you in some sort of smaller way?

The article said nothing about the home birth being unexpected. Also there was no mention of requiring a hospital (or the baby's life being at risk), only that the mother said she was taking the baby to a doctor.

There was nothing in the article about fear or lack of means to call an ambulance. There was nothing about broken phones or non-existent neighbors. There was nothing about the woman facing homelessness or starvation if she chose another option other than driving her baby to town in her purse.

We have no way of knowing if she was doing the best she could.

We really only have a few stark facts:

1. She claimed the baby was hers

2. She claimed the baby had been born at home one week prior

3. She said she was taking the baby to the doctor

4. She was stopped for reasons having nothing to do with baby

5. She was transporting the baby in her zippered purse

6. She had a car and enough gasoline to drive it

I'm not trying to communicate facts.

I'm trying to answer the questions around 'what could possibly have happened to cause such a thing?'. Which, from my perspective requires asking myself, 'what would have needed to go wrong in order for *me* to end up making that choice'. That's all.

Most people are trying their hardest to handle the curve balls of life.

Ordinarily I would say that most people are doing their best not to be stupid, and there is usually a reasonable explanation for their choices -- but in this case, based on my experience, the majority of women 1 week postpartum are stupid, so the explanation might not be very rational.

The reason I choose to believe she was doing the best she could is because she is a person -- and the vast majority of people tend to do that. Since there are multiple conceivable circumstances in which I might make an identical choice to her choice, I'm going to bring up those possibilities.

The zipper, though -- that speaks to me of either fear (of the baby being seen, being arrested) or psychosis (not realizing that the baby needs to breathe, or not caring that the baby needs to breathe).

I'm sorry. I'm still going to have to come down on the side of 'the woman has my sympathy' rather than 'the woman is clearly a monster'... unless there is some sort of middle ground (like, I have no idea what the truth is, so why am I bothering to have an opinion :tongue_smilie:)

Did anyone else notice the location? I haven't been to St. Croix but I have been to St. John, St. Thomas, and Virgin Gorda. I could totally see that happening there. It's a different type of life then we have. Doesn't mean it was an awesome decision the gal made but it's not Chicago or Dallas.

Yup....that was my thought, too.

One of my dear friends is a refugee from China and came to the USA in the mid-70's - her parents had been through hell and back, and when they got here, a very kind church gave her a diaper bag full of stuff and told her it was for the baby.

The next week, the parents came walking proudly into church, carrying my dear friend IN THE DIAPER BAG.

So . . . yeah . . . no real thoughts on this, but the story reminded me of that one.

Those articles don't really tell us anything at all.

Oh Katie, that's actually funny.. did someone explain to them what they actually meant?

It says she was taking the newborn to a hospital, one week after a home birth. It also says that the infant was "tiny".

My thought is that the child came prematurely, and that the mom was under-prepared, and had no car seat -- and for some reason didn't think to call any helpful organizations for her predicament.

I was thinking this too. She didn't have a carseat, but still, odd to throw the baby in your bag. I wonder how tiny tiny is. Even my tiny baby wouldn't have fit in any of my handbags/purses. They were just too tall.

I'm not sure *I* would know what "helpful organizations" I could call. :001_huh: