Menu

3rd grade plans?

mytwomonkeys

Ds7 (will be 8) will be in 3rd next year.:001_huh: That doesn't seem possible.

I was just thinking the same thing. Here's our 3rd grade line-up:

Bible

Veritas Press' Judges Through Kings

Story of the Ancient World (narrative)

Hist./Geo.

Veritas Press' New Testament, Greece and Rome SP

Waring's AC&B audios, SOTW 1 (narrative option)

Map Trek, Wondermaps, and Geography Songs

Spelling/Vocabulary

Spell to Write and Read cont'd (w/new formatted BLL - Yay!)

Dynamic Literacy's WorldBuild Foundations 1

MCT Caesar's English

Grammar

First Language Lessons 4

MCT Grammar Town

Writing/Poetry

Writing With Ease 3 (2nd half) & 4 (1st half)

MCT Paragraph Town

MCT Building Poems

Latin

Latin for Children A

Math

RightStart E

Math Mammoth LB series (supplement/cross reference)

Singapore CWP (summer)

Science

God's Design for the Physical World

Memory Work

CC Cycle 2 (at home)

Art

I Can Do All Things cont'd

Artistic Pursuits cont'd

Music

Suzuki Violin

Other

Christian Karate

DS is going PS next school year, We will continue afterschool

Math

AOPS/NEM1

Science

MrQ + RS4K physics

WWE4

SOTW4 and recycle to SOTW 1 with activity

and reads 30 mins a day

Violin

ski/soccer/skate depends on the season. tennis throughout the year

Edited by jennynd

My plans for my upcoming 3rd grader are:

History: SOTW2 with HO

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, Grades 3 - 6

Government: Brief Local and State History and Government Study, Custom Unit on Elections

Math: SM 3A/3B w/ IPs and CWP 2, BA 3A/3B and maybe 3C/3D if we can fit it in.

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Book 1

Language Arts: MCT Island, Zaner-Bloser Handwriting Grade 3, Flash Kids Spelling Skills 4, Check the Deck, and possibly WWE2

Lit: Some MbtP Lit Units, Custom Lit Units, Jacob's Ladder Level 1 and first book or two of MCT Alice, Peter and the Mole

Science: Mr. Q Physical Science supplemented with Snap Circuits, and other kits and books

French: Skoldo Primary French Book One (Galore Park)

Latin: GSWL

Music: Composer study. listen to lots of music and continue violin lessons

Art: Meet the Masters and Mark Kistler 3D Drawing

Technology: Scratch Programming & Type to Learn

I hope I have done this correctly. It is my first time posting to this board or any board for that matter:tongue_smilie:.

I just happened upon the announcement one day (a few weeks ago) when I visited the SWR Yahoo! Group. It couldn't have come at a better time.

I just ordered a few of them. I'm really excited about it; this will be perfect for next year. I bought three of the old ones two weeks ago so it's a good thing the boys have just discovered a love for journaling.

Bible - Memoria Press Christian Studies 2

Spelling - Spelling Workout D; All About Spelling 3 & 4

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Writing - Writing With Ease 3

History - Story of the World 3

Science - (Chemistry) Adventures with Atoms and Molecules I & II; Usborne First Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of Science; Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia

Math -Saxon Math 3

Latin - Prima Latina

Art -Artistic Pursuits

Home Economics - Pearables Home Economics

Music - Piano & Violin lessons

I just ordered a few of them. I'm really excited about it; this will be perfect for next year. I bought three of the old ones two weeks ago so it's a good thing the boys have just discovered a love for journaling.

:lol:

I, too, had already purchased the old ones. Even though I prefer the Riggs Institute's 3/8" rule composition notebooks for the enrichment activities, I think I'll just use the old BLLs for the enrichments instead - since I already have them.

My 3rd grader will be using a mix of the following:

Memoria Press 3rd grade curriculum slightly tweaked

CLE math

WP Children Around the World

Biblioplan Ancients

And a mix of SL, TQ, and BF for American History. Yes, were doing both World and US History...ALL my kids adore history and can't get enough!

BFSU and NL for science

MCT

And that's all I can remember for now:001_smile:

My dd's 3rd grade plan right now. She is smart as a whip but not a big fan of academics so I'm going for complete but simple.

CLE math and LA(includes spelling and cursive)

SOTW Ancients

CHOLL

Science Fusion 5th grade (tweaked if necessary)

Finish WWE 2 then IEW SWI A second semester

SSL

Piano lessons, local theater, park art class and sports teams

:lol:

I, too, had already purchased the old ones. Even though I prefer the Riggs Institute's 3/8" rule composition notebooks for the enrichment activities, I think I'll just use the old BLLs for the enrichments instead - since I already have them.

I was thinking they'd be great for narrating through subjects as well. You're probably the only one that understands how happy this makes me. I also added the advanced phonogram cards. I was a little caught off guard when we got to List N since I completely forgot we were starting advanced phonograms. I made my own on the fly but would like ones that are the same size. Of course, I added My Wise Grammar for Sweet-C. So much for a little purchase, but I got free shipping :lol:

We're using A Little Garden Flower's 3rd Grade Waldorf Curriculum as our main spine.

I'm going to supplement the Waldorf math with MM and Singapore--just because DS1 already loves both.

GD Cursive as DS1's handwriting is horrific

Various books from Sonlight and Ambleside reading lists

Egyptian Arabic--continue with Michel Thomas

Classical/Qur'anic Arabic (reading)--will work with an online tutor

Composer per month (informal)

Some Science unit studies based on DS1's interest

Values/Character Education--will continue using Brite Music's Standin' Tall

Might supplement Grammar with CLE or Shurley English or something else. Am tempted also to look at WWE...however I'm trying not to add to much to the Waldorf curriculum.

Third grade (DS8):

FLL 3

Zaner Bloser Handwriting 3

Prima Latina

For fun - Improving Visual Memory book. Just one a week or so.

Math - I'm thinking Singapore, but possibly MUS. We'll see.

SW C (finish up) and D

Writing Strands 3

(together with DS6):

Artistic Pursuits with some Drawing is Basic thrown in on off weeks

Bible. Not sure what yet! Right now the leaders are God's Great Covenant, Apologia Who is God?, and Long Story Short devotionals. Bible will also include more memorization this year, as well as individual time to read and a Bible journal (for DS8).

SOTW 2

Daily journaling - just a short amount of writing

Weekly reading assignments - some relating to history, science, etc, and some just for fun. Also reading aloud to me about once a week.

Apologia Astronomy

I was thinking they'd be great for narrating through subjects as well. You're probably the only one that understands how happy this makes me. I also added the advanced phonogram cards. I was a little caught off guard when we got to List N since I completely forgot we were starting advanced phonograms. I made my own on the fly but would like ones that are the same size. Of course, I added My Wise Grammar for Sweet-C. So much for a little purchase, but I got free shipping :lol:

That's a good idea, using them for narration. I'll keep that in mind. Congrats on the free shipping! That always make a difference. Where did you end up purchasing it all?

Ok, now to confess one of my little secrets. Not only have I chosen to add in WordBuild next year for the vocabulary but I wanted something to take the place of My Wise Grammar book 2, which ends at list O, for those days when I don't have time to plan for an enrichment activity or don't care for the those suggested. WB seemed the convenient solution. My search was actually inspired by the WISE prefix/suffix enrichments. My little man will complete 1, possibly 2, worksheet(s) per day.

Edited by CMama

The boys, age 8-9 will be doing:

Bible-We just read. I'm toying with the idea of curriculum, but I'm not sold on it.

Math-MEP 3, math drills obtained free online.

Language Arts:

Spelling-not sure yet. I like Wheeler's Elementary Speller, but we need more rule based work. Still working on what I want.

Writing-CW Aesop, and creative writing as I see fit.

Grammar-KISS Grammar

Penmanship-Getty-Dubay italics. I may introduce them to the keyboard this fall too.

Reading-McGuffey Books 2 and 3, and other lit from the library. I've got tons of readers so I can pick and choose. Neither of them like to read-they would rather be up a tree.

Latin-Prima Latina

Science-McHenry's chemistry program, both the inorganic and maybe the organic.

History-SOTW 3, and lots of biography and supplemental books from the library.

Art-I'm teaching them drawing from various vintage sources. But I may well add some artist study this year.

Music-a piano is hopefully coming to live at my house this fall. My mother can teach, and if the piano isn't their cup of tea, my father plays guitar and can teach.

Phys-Ed-we are working on running a 5K distance this fall.

Considering something more for geography, and planning on more poetry study as part of our read-aloud work.

That's a good idea, using them for narration. I'll keep that in mind. Congrats on the free shipping! That always make a difference. Where did you end up purchasing it all?

Ok, now to confess one of my little secrets. Not only have I chosen to add in WordBuild next year for the vocabulary but I wanted something to take the place of My Wise Grammar book 2, which ends at list O, for those days when I don't have time to plan for an enrichment activity or don't care for the those suggested. WB seemed the convenient solution. My search was actually inspired by the WISE prefix/suffix enrichments. My little man will complete 1, possibly 2, worksheet(s) per day.

I've never used My Wise Grammar before but I think it'll come in handy this year with C. Is there any place to see a sample of WordBuild? I'm interested to see how it would fit in.

Bible/Character: Hymns, BF Character Study, Character First Online (that also includes some nature study)

Math: TT4, Beast Academy 3B-3D, Quarter Mile Math

Writing: WWE3, Writers Notebook (my attempt do something I did in school and loved!) and I'm going to help DS start writing comic books since he's been wanting too.

Grammar: The Sentence Family or Grammar Town

Cursive: Inspiring Quotes & Cursive Writing Practice: Jokes & Riddles

Reading: He does silent reading daily and there's talk of a co-op class which will include discussion, projects, reports, etc for 8-10yo boys I'm really hoping it happens it sounds like something DS would like :D

Poetry: Memorizing poems

Phonics: EM Daily Phonics 3 (just to keep it fresh!)

Spelling/Vocab: EM A Word A Day & R&S Spelling 4 w/ spellingcity.com

Science: Living Books Curriculum Astronomy (uses Apologia) and either WP Earth Science or A Child's Geography

History/Social Studies, this is the biggest one I'm debating on:

I'm thinking maybe Abeka 3rd Grade History with Timberdoodle graphic novels and other biographies, lots of documentries/movies, EM US Facts & Fun 4-6 and EM What Happened Today

Music: American Composers Co-op Class Hopefully! If not just a music class and he takes guitar lessons

Art: Meet the Masters and he works through tons of drawing books

Spanish: Spanish for Children A with a tutor

Latin: Co-op Class with homework

P.E: Hockey, Soccer and Baseball

We're finishing up 3rd grade, but did:

BIBLE: Christian Liberty Studying God's Word C

HISTORY: A Beka Grade 3 textbook

GEOGRAPHY: Spectrum Geography 3rd Grade

LITERATURE: Readings from American history shelves

GRAMMAR: Voyages in English 3

LATIN: Canon Press Latin Primer Book 1

MATH: Rod & Staff 4

SCIENCE: A Beka Grade 3 textbook

HEALTH: A Beka Grade 3 textbook

VOCABULARY: Wordly Wise 3000 3rd grade

SPELLING: Rod & Staff 3

I love Rod & Staff spelling and math, the workbooks do the job without clogging up our schedule too much so we can't ever get out of the house, and we have a good enough home history library that we can supplement the history textbook with lots of living books. The only one I wouldn't reuse is Voyages in English -- it's a great program, but too much teacher preparation and too much rote drill with the latin and everything else. We're using English for the Thoughtful Child/Simply Grammar starting next year.

Is there any place to see a sample of WordBuild? I'm interested to see how it would fit in.

Check out the video here... http://www.dynamicliteracy.com/

Download a PDF sample here... http://www.dynamicliteracy.com/foundations.php

It's just what I want (student activity book only), especially since we'll also be doing the MCT Town series.

Edited by CMama

What we are doing next year (tentatively) when Ariel is third grade aged:

Math: MM4, maybe Beast Academy

English: MCT, WWE3, AAS, lists from Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, AO/other CM curricula inspired literature

Science: WP Equine Science

History: A Child's History of the World, Our Island Story, moving on to Our Sunburnt Country if we finish OIS early

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps & Geography, Geography Songs

Foreign Language: I Speak Latin, maybe GSWL, not sure about what to use for Spanish...

Art: Meet the Masters

Music: Bastien Piano 2

EDIT:

Math: adding Kumon Grade 4 multiplication and division workbooks for fact practice

Science: Galore Park Junior 3

Foreign Language: Minimus Latin, possibly adding GSWL, continue with GSWS and possibly include Head of the Class Spanish

Reading: primarily just free reading, but occasionally will have her read aloud

Handwriting: something for cursive? Not sure

Spalding Spelling

Rod and Staff Grammar 3

WWE - finish 2 (last four or five weeks) and do 3

Read Write Type

Math - currently leaning towards CLE 300 series with Beast Academy and CWP, but might go back to Singapore 3B/ 4A plan

Science: The Elements, Mr. Q Chemistry

History: SOTW 2

US geography textbook/ map skills

Elementary Spanish

We Believe 3 (religion) and working on using the Bible (any recommendations?)

Mark Kistler's drawing lessons, Musikgarten piano, children's choir at church, and physical activities (swim lessons, dance, softball, etc)

Can't believe I'm planning third grade already!

Here's what we're using:

Math - RightStart and Horizons, Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Language Arts - First Language Lessons 3, Writing with Ease, All About Spelling

Languages - Mission Monde French, Prima Latina, Song School Greek

History - Story of the World Co-op once a week; Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Science- Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

I think I've figured out what I'm doing with my VSL.

Bible – Bible Studies for All Ages Timeline and Student pages, Visual Bible Matthew and Acts DVDs, Bible story videos, Read and illustrate the Book of John, The Names of God:52 Bible Studies

Math – Singapore 3B-4B with IP, Hands on Equations, Xtra Math, Rubik’s Cube lessons from Youcandothecube.com, Memorize in Minutes the Times Tables

Logic – Logic Countdown, Grid Perplexors B, Chess Kid, Building Thinking Skills Level 3 Figural

Foreign Language – Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad, My First Chinese Reader 1 and 2, Athenaze 1

Language Arts - Rod and Staff 4, Winning with Writing 3, Story Grammar for Elementary School, NaNoWriMo Elementary workbook, Sequential Spelling 1, Startwrite software for handwriting, Vocabulary Cartoons II, Spotlight on Listening Comprehension Details, Spotlight on Listening Comprehension Sequencing, Mavis Beacon typing, and classic literature.

History – Ancient China – Anglo-Saxon England an informal study where he reads illustrated living books, watches movies and documentaries, completes projects and presents what he has learned.

Geography – Virtual Road Trip through USA and Canada

Science – Labs from CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science. Living books, creative challenges, videos, and projects. A self-designed invertebrate study.

Computers - Udacity classes

Art/Music – Mark Kislter’s Online Drawing Lessons, Sight Sing a Song Set 1, Guitar

Edited by Wehomeschool

Corrected version

Math:

• Singapore 5A/5B w/IP and CWP
  • Probably other stuff when we finish SM 5B

Language Arts:

• KISS Grammar
  • MCT Building Language and Music of the Hemispheres
  • WWE3 (doing my own passages), IEW SWI-A
  • Pull from R&S English 4 as I feel like it
  • R&S Spelling finish 3 and move into 4, Spelling City
  • Cursive copywork, using Spalding handwriting instructions
  • Advanced Readers from Sonlight Core D

Latin:

• Getting Started with Latin

History:

• Sonlight Core D (we've done 3 weeks of this so far)

Science:

• Finish Apologia Astronomy over the summer, then do Sonlight Science 3 (2005 version).

Music:

• Piano

PE:

• Hockey

Religion: Faith & Life Lessons online

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3

Reading: SL Reader Package Grade 3

Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting, Cursive

Grammar: Voyages in English OR Evan-Moore Grammar & Punction (not sure)

History: Connecting With History, Volume II

Spelling: All About Spelling

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Classical Kids CDs

Geography: Spectrum Geography workbook

Science: Select Sonlight & Usborne science books to read aloud & Netflix:tongue_smilie:

Grammar, Spelling: finish MCT Island and LoE and start MCT Town

Writing: Bravewriter, Killgallon

Math: RS, BA 3C-3D, more HoE, lots of supplements

Handwriting: HWOT 4th grade cursive

Spanish: Mix of a lot of different things

Science: BFSU II and maybe some Hakim history of science

History: own mix of history of writing, ancient history, more native American studies, US government

Geography: Maps, Graphs,Charts D, continue with own US states curriculum

Art: Mark Kistler, Atelier, 2D art class, pottery

Other: 1x weekly outdoor explorer class

Sports: horseback riding, gymnastics, rock climbing, aerial dance, Flamenco dance, maybe parkour

Music: piano and/or fiddle.. still TBD

• 1 month later...

We start our school year tomorrow, and I have changed things up a bit since I first posted. I figured I'd bump this thread just for fun, and to see what everyone else has planned and/or if anyone has made changes to their original plan. :D

All of the Scholastic ebooks were acquired during Dollar Days sales, which just goes to show how awesome they are as budget stretchers. I don't even want to think about how much I'd have paid if they were full-price! :D

I keep changing things around. I think this is the final list, as I've bought pretty much everything. :tongue_smilie:

What we are doing next year (tentatively) when Ariel is third grade aged:

Math: MM4, Kumon Grade 4 Multiplication & Division (fact practice)

English: MCT Island, WWE3, AAS

Science: Galore Park Junior Science (finish 2, begin 3), The Story Book of Science

History: SOTW Ancient Times/A Picturesque Tale of Progress - Beginnings & Conquests, Our Island Story

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps & Geography, Geography Songs

Foreign Language: Minimus, maybe GSWL also. Continue GSWS, add Head of the Class Spanish

Art: Meet the Masters

Music: Bastien Piano

Handwriting: Wacky Sentences Handwriting Workbook, Pictures in Cursive D/E/F (she much prefers PiC, but we've already started Wacky Sentences)

Literature: Peter Pan and Wendy, Heidi, Treasure Island, Bambi, Understood Betsy, The Princess and the Goblin, Five Children and It, Tales of Ancient Egypt, The Wanderings of Odysseus, The Twenty-One Balloons, The Jungle Book, The Wind in the Willows, Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

post-6833-13535087068495_thumb.jpg

We school year round. I wasn't going to post since we are greatly influenced by unschooling so I don't have much curricula to list. Just a general idea of where we are heading.

History: SOTW

Readers: Right now Eldest is reading the "Enchanted Forest" series. When he is done with it he will have to pick something else to read.

Read Alouds: The boys listen to lots of books. It is the backbone of schooling. I have no definite plans for the next year, but here is a list of the books we have done so far if you want an idea of where we have been. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=403133

Spelling: http://anneelliott.com/2009/04/how-to-teach-spelling/

Grammar and Writing: I don't know. We aren't focusing on either right now. Once Eldest has improved his spelling I will focus more on grammar and writing. We did listen to the first half of Grammar Land.

Math: We do lots of math things. I find Eldest picks up lots of stuff from the oodles of board games we play. We will likely at some point buy Beast Academy. He will have to re-memorize his times tables using Timez Attack or the mythology math game (If I can get it here in Canadian with acceptable shipping). Have them help me with writing another math book. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=404762. Eldest is good at going over the whole text looking for mistakes. I find with all the board games we play basic math instruction is not needed for my kids.

Science: Mr. Q. My husband makes audio recordings of the books. We did life science and are currently working on earth science. We also do other things when the interest presents itself. We might also listen to some science related thinks on Librivox.

Music:Pianimals.

French: We do french things on and off throughout the year. We might start doing picture books again. I get the same picture book in French and English. I read a page in English, dh reads the same page in French. (or vice versus). We might also do other stuff. (I'm specific aren't I :tongue_smilie::glare:)

Boardgames: Sorry, had to list it. :) We spend enough time reading rules, doing math with games, learning games, teaching how to play games, playing with different people... (Youngest just asked me to help him make a rule book)

Art: Making board game pieces, board game cards, boards for board games... Also making things out of duct tape.

Poetry: I will select some poems and put them in picture frames we have and aren't using. I when then put them up in different places around the house.

Well I thought I had grade 3 figured out and then I started looking at OM again. Given ds's issues if we do OM it would be OM2, or we will stick with plan A. As you can see while reading plan A he is definitely not at typical 3rd grade level. Smart boy but all his LD hold him back.

Plan A:

History/literature: Sonlight finish core A and do core B

geography: A trip around the world

Writing: wwe finish 1 and begin 2 and HWOT 1

Spelling: AAS finish level 1 and begin 2

reading: AAR finish level 1 and being 2

grammar: R&S 2

Science: apologia astronomy(finish over summer once home) Zoology 1 and 2; nature study

Math: Horizons 1 and MUS Alpha

Fine Arts: artistic pursuits, artist lapbook, composers lapbook, handbells

French: Mission Monde ABC

Latin: TBD (this was decided today that we would study this, he wants to take the exploratory latin exam next year so latin now needs to be decided)

IF I go with plan B- OM2 we will still add in french, latin, handbells, and R&S 2, plan B is less likely due to cost of the program but it sure is looking nice right now.

Edited by swellmomma

All of the Scholastic ebooks were acquired during Dollar Days sales, which just goes to show how awesome they are as budget stretchers. I don't even want to think about how much I'd have paid if they were full-price! :D

We need a smilie for smacking myself in the forehead. I forgot about all the scholastic things I bought during $ days. Carp, now I have to go back through it and be sure that at some point in the next 365 days I use it :tongue_smilie:

Our 3rd grade plans are settled, finally!

Singapore 3B, 4A and hopefully 4B

CLE Language Arts 200, All About Spelling

Tapestry of Grace

Salsa Spanish & Tonto Frito YouTube videos

World's Greatest Artists (free unit study I found here!)

NOEO Physics I

Science: Mr. Q. My husband makes audio recordings of the books. We did life science and are currently working on earth science. We also do other things when the interest presents itself. We might also listen to some science related thinks on Librivox.

Thank you for the Mr. Q recordings! I saved them onto an mp3 player, and my older son is doing Mr. Q because of them. Thank you! Thank you! :)

I'm trying to keep things fairly simple for our first year. My 3rd grader will be using:

Math Mammoth 3A & 3B

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 2

Real Science 4 Kids Biology, Physics, Astronomy

Story of the World 1

Barton Reading and Spelling

Thank you for the Mr. Q recordings! I saved them onto an mp3 player, and my older son is doing Mr. Q because of them. Thank you! Thank you! :)

Thank you for the thank you Random.

My husband is working on "Earth Science" right now and isn't working as much as I would like. We are always waiting for chapters. I think part of it is knowing that it can not be shared like "Life Science".

My 7, turning 8-year old, will be doing the following for 3rd grade:

Math: MM 3B-4B, SM IP and CWP 3, and perhaps BA

Grammar: FFL3

Writing: WWE2/3

Handwriting: Evan Moor Traditional Cursive daily practice

Literature: MCT Alice, Peter, Mole

Vocabulary: MCT

Spelling: ?? Maybe AAS

History: STOW Middle Ages & hands-on projects at co-op

State History: co-op class

Geography: Mapping the World by Heart with Athena's

Science: Nancy Larson 2

Ballet

Competitive swimming

Change of plans!:001_smile:

Math Mammoth

Rod & Staff English

Spell to write and read

Getting Started With Latin

MP's Greek Myths study

Narrate SOTW 2

Notebook the Exploring Creation series

Read for an hour daily

Read orally from McGuffey readers weekly

IEW's Linguistic Development

Homemade US state study

Homemade religion

Piano

We are one month into our new school year and this is waft we've settled on after some tweaking:

Horizons Math (w/ Times Tales)

Abeka Grammar

RFH finish T and then do C

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Personal Bible Studies

Together with my 5th grader:

SOTW 2 w/ some literature added

Apologia Zoology 1

Apologia Who is God?

And a few odds and ends Like "How the Bible came to us"

For activities she does:

Homeschool Sports program (1/2 day)