Menu

60 Minutes - "Is Sugar Toxic" Sunday April 1

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to watch!

eta - I watched this about a year or so ago and it had lots of great info about sugar and what it actually does to your body. I've tried to watch the "bitter truth" one, but keep getting interrupted. I'll have to make time for it!

Edited by Mothersweets

all sugar: sucrose, glucose, fructose, HFCS, etc.

Wow...everything? As a person who believes God designed the earth for us, I find it hard to believe that fruit could be toxic to us. I can understand all the processed sugar and HFCS, but I believe fruit is beneficial to us in many ways (fiber, vitamins, etc.).

Interesting; thanks for the heads up. I conveniently ignored a news link a few days ago with the same title (surely promoting the show tonight).

I am a sugar addict.

I had a bit of an eye opener a few weeks ago. A co-worker was discussing her current breast cancer diagnosis--she's also an ovarian cancer survivor (and it's been determined this is not the same cancer). She's my age, and as she was discussing it, she was eating powdered sugar doughnuts, washing them down with Mtn. Dew. This is indicative of her usual eating habits.

I'm not in any way trying to be sarcastic, but it really struck me that I need to change the way I eat. And I need to keep my kids on a better course too.

I will be watching this mainly for affirmation to what I've already changed in my family's diet. We don't eat processed sugar and only get our "sugar" from fruit and an occassional treat of maple syrup or honey - both real and locally produced. It has made a HUGE difference in our lives. I had chronic bronchitis, but haven't had an episode since last June. I used to not be able to run more than a few minutes, but have now run several 5Ks and am training for a triathlon. My husband and I both dropped 45 lbs, and my pre-teen dd has slimmed down to a very healthy weight. My other two were already pretty skinny so now I have to make sure they are getting enough calories! Also, all of our complexions cleared up including the teen and pre-teen! We will never go back. We feel great. It is just hard when we do things at church or co-op because we are so odd. LOL! But, few can argue with us since the changes are so dramatic and obvious. Now I am always packing natural applesauce, whole fruit fruit strips, nuts, seeds, carrots, etc. to give my kids for snacks when everyone else is being given cookies and cupcakes. My kids don't mind anymore. They love the fun active parents they have now instead of the sickly ones we were a year ago.

Wow...everything? As a person who believes God designed the earth for us, I find it hard to believe that fruit could be toxic to us. I can understand all the processed sugar and HFCS, but I believe fruit is beneficial to us in many ways (fiber, vitamins, etc.).

Well, most of the earth didn't have abundant fruit before industrial farming. If you were gathering, you probably only would have gathered small quantities, and the fruit itself was less sweet and smaller in size (today's fruit has been designed to be far sweeter, larger, etc.-honeycrisp apples for example). It wasn't available in most of the world year-round.

I love fruit, but as someone who is insulin resistant, I can unfortunately feel the effects of eating too large of a serving. If you look into fructose, it can trigger fatty liver, etc. Now in smaller quantities it is probably fine for those who aren't on the more insulin resistant end of the continuum, but for some people it can be problematic.

I watched it. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought fruit was in a totally different category.

They mentioned that if you eat a whole fruit you get the fiber mixed in to fill you up and give you a little sweet, but that it is quite difficult to eat 10 oranges at one sitting, so you will naturally eat less of the sugar anyway.

However, natural honey and real maple syrup were all mixed in with the "bad" of sugar. They also said that HFCS is just as bad as sugar.

Dawn

Fruit is in a different category, but even that we eat Granny Smith apples, (which are lower sugar than Red Delicious), grapefruit, oranges, and lots of berries. We limit the bananas, melons and grapes a little bit. As for the honey and maple syrup, I understand why they mix them all in one lump, but from a practical stand point, you can use just a smidge of honey or syrup to replace a half cup of white or brown sugar. I made pumpkin pancakes this morning for my family, no added sugar, with just a small drizzle of maple syrup. I would be surprised if anyone had more than a TBSP of syrup on their pancakes other than my husband who had seconds. As I look back at our day of eating, we have had no other sugar today other than fruit. (Chef salad and strawberries for lunch, blueberries for a snack, quesadillas, apples and carrots for dinner, and we will have yogurt smoothies for an evening snack - plain yogurt, pineapple and frozen berries.) That said, I don't feel a bit bad about them having a little real maple syrup on their pancakes this morning. Moderation is key.

I believe he said men no more than 150 calories in sugar and women no more than 100 calories in sugar.

They said that one can of soda (regular) is more than one person should have in sugar per day.

Dawn

So how many grams of sugar could/should an average person consume in a day?

I am pretty sure it is calories, because I remember him saying that a can of soda was more than you should have of sugar in a day and a can of soda has about 40grams of sugar.

Dawn

If I'm not mistaken, the broadcast tonight said 100 (I'm not sure if it was grams or calories) for women and 150 for men.

I am pretty sure it is calories, because I remember him saying that a can of soda was more than you should have of sugar in a day and a can of soda has about 40grams of sugar.

Dawn

Yes, I remember the soda reference too. We don't have any in the house and I'm too lazy to Google a label. It must be calories.

I'm ADDICTED to raisins. I guess those are bad for me? I'm about to burst into tears at the thought.

I believe he said men no more than 150 calories in sugar and women no more than 100 calories in sugar.

I was curious about what the "100 calories" meant, so I looked it up, and apparently 100 calories = 6 teaspoonfuls of sugar.

I'm not going to panic over this report. If I panicked over everything they said would kill me, I would never eat anything.

I absolutely believe in moderation, and that's how we will continue to consume it here. I'm not going to ban sugar from my home because of the current reports. They're not really telling us anything we didn't already know; they're just trying to make it sound scarier. The more frightening they make it sound, the higher their ratings.

Honestly, who among us thought sugar was a healthy food choice? Many of us eat it because we like it, but I don't really think we thought it was good for us.

If it is mixed with cocoa it is a healthy food choice. In fact, I am quite sure the cocoa cancels out anything bad that sugar can do.

I was curious about what the "100 calories" meant, so I looked it up, and apparently 100 calories = 6 teaspoonfuls of sugar.

I'm not going to panic over this report. If I panicked over everything they said would kill me, I would never eat anything.

I absolutely believe in moderation, and that's how we will continue to consume it here. I'm not going to ban sugar from my home because of the current reports. They're not really telling us anything we didn't already know; they're just trying to make it sound scarier. The more frightening they make it sound, the higher their ratings.

Honestly, who among us thought sugar was a healthy food choice? Many of us eat it because we like it, but I don't really think we thought it was good for us.

If it is mixed with cocoa it is a healthy food choice. In fact, I am quite sure the cocoa cancels out anything bad that sugar can do.

Of course. :D

It goes without saying, because cocoa is good for us. It's natural. It comes from beans. And we all know that beans are healthy. Every health book says we should eat a lot of beans, and we should also eat rice. That's why Nestle Crunch bars are so nutritious. Beans + Rice = Super Healthy Food Combination.

I don't like to brag, but I'm really good at all this healthy eating stuff.

And if you mix in peanut butter, you have a complete protein!

It goes without saying, because cocoa is good for us. It's natural. It comes from beans. And we all know that beans are healthy. Every health book says we should eat a lot of beans, and we should also eat rice. That's why Nestle Crunch bars are so nutritious. Beans + Rice = Super Healthy Food Combination.

:lol:

And if you mix in peanut butter, you have a complete protein!

:D :D :D

Those people over at 60 Minutes have nothing on us.

I'm starting to get hungry for something healthy. I know I have some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups around here somewhere. And some of those Tagalong cookies I bought from the Girl Scouts...

I'll probably have a cup of coffee with my snack, what with the coffee being made from beans and all.

I'm probably getting healthier and losing weight as I type.

:iagree:

We started watching the 60 Minutes piece and stopped once we realized that it was essentially saying that overindulging in sugar was a bad thing. Duh. The only thing my husband said was, "and yet our life expectancy is double (triple?!) that of someone in the Middle Ages". We wondered if the next story would be about the crisis in care for the elderly :glare:.

The problem is that now the consumption of sugar and other junk in our diet is causing nasty health issues with many people. I recently heard that the next generation might have a shorter lifespan than ours. Scary stuff. We've moved toward a whole foods diet and I couldn't be happier.

:lol: anybody else notice the more they medicalize food the unhealthier our (the general our) diets become?

:lol::lol::lol:

They did not mention sugar substitutes.

Yes, most people know too much sugar is bad, but honestly, I liked the actual medical study and what it is showing that it does to our brains when we ingest it and then in turn, our bodies. The explanation of how sugar feeds cancer cells was a bit scary.

Dawn

Guest submarines
:iagree:

We started watching the 60 Minutes piece and stopped once we realized that it was essentially saying that overindulging in sugar was a bad thing. Duh. The only thing my husband said was, "and yet our life expectancy is double (triple?!) that of someone in the Middle Ages". We wondered if the next story would be about the crisis in care for the elderly :glare:.

My DH says the same thing, and yet I wonder. The current elderly didn't grow up eating the chemical junk that we eat, and that our (generic)children eat.

My DH says the same thing, and yet I wonder. The current elderly didn't grow up eating the chemical junk that we eat, and that our (generic)children eat.

No, not to the same degree, but the 60 Minutes piece showed a study where the negative effects of consuming too much sugar took only 2 weeks to show up. So I know my grandparents ate better as children, but they're eating worse crap now than I feed my family. The convenience food that is easy for the elderly to prepare is full of sugar (and other junk).

No, not to the same degree, but the 60 Minutes piece showed a study where the negative effects of consuming too much sugar took only 2 weeks to show up. So I know my grandparents ate better as children, but they're eating worse crap now than I feed my family. The convenience food that is easy for the elderly to prepare is full of sugar (and other junk).

This is so true.

I think life expectancy has increased since the Middle Ages in great part due to the invention of antibiotics and vaccines, the advent of preventative care and the advancement of surgical techniques. The fear is that we are reversing our progress through a decline in the nutritional value of modern foods.

Previous generations also preserved some of their insulin sensitivity because they did a lot more physical labor. That probably helped a bit.

Have you ever looked into the epigenetics associated with some of this stuff? Some theories out there think things like the Great Depression and associated dietary changes during that time may impact future generations via epigenetic changes.