Menu

Is it offensive to use the term "slave driver"?

Can't speak for your neighbours, but here, only to people looking for something to be offended about.

Rosie

Exactly. The word "slave" is appropriate when describing labor under certain circumstances. The PC police is overreaching. :001_smile:

Can't speak for your neighbours, but here, only to people looking for something to be offended about.

Rosie

:iagree:

And anyway - slavery has been used in all cultures (at some point in time), and all "colors" of people have been slaves at some point in history.

:iagree: I envision some ancient Egyptian lashing a scrawny guy pulling a huge rock.

:lol: me, too!

I guess the term would be offensive if someone was directing it at ME, but not in a general sense. (and I'm really just kidding about it being directed at me. I'd just make a whip noise and be on my merry way ;) )

A slave driver is not a term specific only to slavery in pre-Civil War United States. A perfectly valid definition refers to someone who pushes for specific performance and can refer to a paid work situation. Unfortunately people sometimes look for reason to be offended and jump right to the overseer of slaves definition. The term is not in the least offensive, really. Slavery was a fact, in many cultures, but I seriously doubt anyone referring to a slave driver considers that person an actual owner of slaves (unless you're learning about slavery, of course!).

:iagree:

And anyway - slavery has been used in all cultures (at some point in time), and all "colors" of people have been slaves at some point in history.

:iagree: I am white and when my great great great great (possible great again) came over from England he was enslaved to the captain of the boat for 4 years to pay for his trip. I don't find it offensive.

We don't use the term in my house, as I do find it offensive when used lightly (as in children speaking to their parent about household work), but I wouldn't think anything of it used elsewhere.

• 11 years later...