Menu

Can we start a gentle, fun April Fools thread? I need ideas!

This is very simple, but one year my mom started the morning by serving cinnamon rolls in which she'd replaced the sugar with salt. My brother thought it was hilarious, after he got over his shock. Then she brought out the good cinnamon rolls. You could do something like that with any favorite from-scratch food.

The kids at the small school where I used to teach used to really do April Fool's. One year, they hid all the furniture. And I mean ALL the furniture. It was pretty funny how all the teachers came in and every desk and chair was gone (they had enlisted the help of the school secretary to sneak in at 5 am). Another year, they glued (with easily removable glue) all the white board markers down so that when we went to pick them up, they wouldn't come. It was always a bit of a trip and with a little urging, they kept it in fun and only a little disruptive (the furniture was back in place by the first bell... mostly).

I think the funniest I have heard of (haven't tried) was to put a plastic table cloth on the table and just forks when setting the table, no plates...then serve spaghetti...dumped right in the middle of the table! HEHEHE

I'm so going to do this -- the kids will love it.

I'm also dressing our lit reindeer up w/ Easter bunny ears. . . and setting him on a patio chair looking inside. So when the kids open the blinds there he'll be.

(Apparently I'm not busy enough. . . )

A.

I've been thinking about this too! Last year I put two cups of milk in the freezer the night before. The next morning I put a tiny amount of milk on top of the frozen milk, and set it at the boys' breakfast plates. They thought it was hilarious once they realized what was going on. At first, my 4yo looked at me and said "It's stuck!". They still talk about it. Now I have to find something to top it this year.

Last year, I pulled apart a cotton ball into the shape of a circle. Then, I cooked it into a pancake and my oldest got it. It was SOOOO funny! He couldn't cut it at first because of the cotton fibers. Then, he decided to pick it up with his fork and try to take a bite. I was holding in my giggles! He finally asked me, "Mom, is this a different recipe than the one you usually use?" He was trying to be SOOOO polite.

I need something to top this year!!!

I've been thinking about this too! Last year I put two cups of milk in the freezer the night before. The next morning I put a tiny amount of milk on top of the frozen milk, and set it at the boys' breakfast plates. They thought it was hilarious once they realized what was going on. At first, my 4yo looked at me and said "It's stuck!". They still talk about it. Now I have to find something to top it this year.

Okay, I'm going to do:

reindeer bunny looking in window

spaghetti in middle of table (I'll sprinkle w/ cheese)

frozen milk

and I think I'll hide my husband's car.

Good times.

A.

Last year I snuck in after the kids were asleep and ever so gently safety-pinned their pajamas to their comforter. Just a little confusion for them first thing in the morning. :001_smile:

I was so amused at my prank. I couldn't wait for them to start yelling in the morning. The joke was on me, though. After I had gone to bed, DH snuck in and unpinned them! I was so stunned when they just walked downstairs and said "Good morning!" as if nothing at all had happened. :lol:

I did this, except with a bowl of cereal. Pour cereal into bowl, add some milk, put in freezer. In the morning, pour fresh milk on top and serve. Older ds thought it was hilarious.

The kids stuffed dh's coffee cupboard full of plastic eggs so when he opened it they all fell out onto him. He really liked that one.

I think I'll do the pin the pjs to the sheets and the pancakes one. Both will be terribly funny to my kids!

No, that's not mean at all. Where do you get a fake cast??

Family Fun magazine has a how-to. Basically, you make a form out of paper towel tube, wrapped in several layers of plastic bags and plastic wrap. Stretch a tube sock over the form, with the toe cut off and a hole near the end in the side for the thumb. Put a piece of masking tape down the length of it (so glue won't get on the sock there and you will be able to stretch it), and then paint it with Elmers glue (any white glue). Let it dry, remove from form, peel off tape, and slip it on. You can even write on it like a real cast.

My friend put a package on her front door step with no tape on the bottom to seal it shut. She placed boucy balls and plastic eggs inside. When the family member picked up the package to bring it it, the balls/eggs fell out every where. She got every single one of her family.

I'm toying with painting DHs bar of soap with clear nail polish :001_smile:, stitching one child to the bed and stitching the other's underwear all together. Making a string of underwear, essentially. Lord knows what they will do to me!

Last year I switched the kids' clothes drawers so the girls had boy clothes in their drawers and vice versa. This year I'm going to switch their pillows and comforters while they're sleeping.

I love the frozen milk idea and jello in juice glasses. Thanks!