Menu

Joining a gym and self conscious

Anyone else feel very self conscious at the gym? We are joining one today but I am already getting anxiety attacks about it. Worst part is it is a gym associated with the University so hundreds of young college age kids will be there with their young little bodies. My 43 yr old body (which is desperate need of a gym) will feel like the elephant in the room. Sigh. Logically I know this is not true and I won't even be noticed, just another body working out/swimming but the unlogical side of my brain is screaming Run and Hide!

Anyone else need to pep talk themselves into the gym?

You can do it!!

I went to Zumba last night with some friends. The instructor was a teeny-tiny athletic women, and she included hip-rolling (if that's what it's called) in every single move. :001_huh:

At first, I was a little nervous. But, the room was filled with women in every age bracket and of every shape and size.

I had fun and it was a great workout!

You can do this! Don't let insecurities keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Anyone else feel very self conscious at the gym? We are joining one today but I am already getting anxiety attacks about it. Worst part is it is a gym associated with the University so hundreds of young college age kids will be there with their young little bodies. My 43 yr old body (which is desperate need of a gym) will feel like the elephant in the room. Sigh. Logically I know this is not true and I won't even be noticed, just another body working out/swimming but the unlogical side of my brain is screaming Run and Hide!

In my experience, the gym will also be filled with University employees who come in every shape and size. And age. (And lots of young bodies these days are in desperate need of a gym, too.)

I can understand your anxiety. Take a deep breath. Coach yourself through it. After a time or two, you'll hit your groove and feel right at home. Remember: you're only competing against yourself!

Good luck! And enjoy it!

You can do it!!

I went to Zumba last night with some friends. The instructor was a teeny-tiny athletic women, and she included hip-rolling (if that's what it's called) in every single move. :001_huh:

At first, I was a little nervous. But, the room was filled with women in every age bracket and of every shape and size.

I had fun and it was a great workout!

You can do this! Don't let insecurities keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Thanks. And cool about the Zumba, way to go.

I know I can do it, its just the anxiety I get (I had the anxiety when I joined a gym years ago and I had a body 50#less then). I sit in the car and have to mentally get myself psyched before I go in. It's silly I know, but I'm quirky.

It's not silly. I feel the same way. I do not go to the gym. I'm a private person and don't want other people see me working out. I work out much better when I'm at home doing DVDs or just running.

For the record, I weigh 98 lbs and am in good physical shape, and yet still I don't feel comfortable at a gym.

I sweat and I don't need/want men noticing my sweat soaked clothing on certain parts of my body if you know what I mean *cough* butt crack *cough*.

A gym can be like a bar. There are many who feel like a gym is a place to flirt and pick up dates. I don't want to watch the mating game while I'm trying to work out.

As you can tell, I'm not a gym fan. There are other ways to work out.

Do what you feel comfortable doing and what you want to do. You don't have to go to a gym if you don't want to. :001_smile:

Oh, there's also the option of a women only gym. I'd be more comfortable with that myself.

On the other hand, if you do want to go, you may find you have a good time.

It's your choice. Don't let anyone tell you that you're being silly for not wanting to go to a gym.

I have sooooo been there. It was this time last year that I started. 60 lbs ago. And I was desperately anxious about going. Early on I survived by figuring out when it was either most empty or most filled with people like me. Remember, everyone in there is there because they want to change something. You can do it!!!!

Watch the first couple episodes of any season of Biggest Loser. I'm sure you're not that out of shape from the get-go.

I'd call and find out when it's not as busy and remember that if you get there and you still really self-conscious you can always pretend like you were only going to walk on the stationary bike for 10 minutes and then leave :) It might be easier on the second visit. I'm planning on joining the gym affiliated with our local university, starting the first week of their summer break just for that reason.

I am right there with you. I went to the gym for the first time yesterday. In some ways I felt like a complete idiot and a dumpy housewife. However, no one paid any attention to me. This is a small park district facility, and most people looked like normal adults. I was able to immerse myself in my book while peddling the recumbent bike, so it was okay.

You can do it. The more times you go, the more comfortable you will be there.

I was self-conscious when I started running. My sister told me that, yes, everyone would see me. But, most of them would be thinking, "Good for her!" And, it's been true. Most of the other runners/walkers/cyclists/drivers wave and smile or say a few encouraging words.

I find that to be true at gyms too. There is a camaraderie that exists there. You're all there for a common goal.

Just go. You won't be sorry you did!

I have the same problem. I need to lose 40-50#, so I signed up for a membership at the Y. I tried to go in and have a intro thing for the weight machines, but haven't been back in that part since. I'm just not comfortable there. I can use the pool and be fine, but the cardio room and weight room will be off limits until my dh comes home and he can be there with me.

The times I've tried the cardio room people do stare at me, especially if it's somewhat busy and I get stuck between to perfectly sculpted men running on the treadmills. I walk, running is not something my body does due to exercise induced asthma, even just a 2 minute jog will have me almost passing out, and they always give me this look like I shouldn't be there and that I'm lazy because I'm not running.

Good for your family for signing up at a fitness facility!

As far as feeling self conscious - no one is judging you, or staring at you. Everyone is focused on their own workouts! Like Jennifer mentioned if anyone does notice you they will most likely be thinking "Way to go!" :001_smile:

Really OP, if anyone does judge you by your appearance or physical capabilities what does that person's opinion matter anyways? I know I wouldn't want to be friends, or even acquaintances, with anyone that shallow.

I also want to mention it makes me sad when people think that petite, thin, fit, whatever people judge others and wouldn't want to be at the gym when they are there. I fit those descriptions and I never, ever judge people at the gym. I would hate for someone to think I am looking in their direction and that I am judging them in a negative way. :thumbdown:

I just always remind myself (when I'm out jogging/running, and am going past these little college kids out for a walk on a date or something) that at least I'm DOING something. And that they're thinking that, too... even though they're probably not. :D

But it helps to picture them in my head saying, 'Good for her, getting out and trying. Much better than just sitting at home and getting fat!' or something to that effect. :lol:

It's about working out at the right time. The after work hours have the desk potatoes, the pre-dawn hours are the elite athletes and hard bodies, the mid day hours are usually the grandparents & mom crowd.

I like the mid day hours. Much easier to work out when I see a 70 yo grandpa working out too. If he can, I must!

I think it's also about the gym you choose. I used to go to a Bally's Fitness Club in Chicago. It was totally NOT for me. The YMCA is way more friendly to this 43 yo mom.

Like you have already said, honestly, nobody is going to be looking at you. Even at regular gyms, everyone is plugged into their iPods and focused on their own thing. And at a student rec center? Speaking as a 39 yo who also works out/swims at a university rec center, I can say with some confidence that (1) there will be all kinds of people there; and (2) the students will be completely and utterly oblivious to your presence.

Have a great time! Don't forget to bring a lock for your stuff!

It's done. Got our member cards (GASP! They took a pic for the ID). I am going tomorrow morning to swim laps. The girl at the desk was very nice. I asked the best time for certain things and she said morning was the best...most (college students) are in class and weekends most don't trickle in till noon, if people are here it is more family type people (must mean older people). So this is perfect, it is a little over a mile from my house....walk there and back, do laps or use the equipment, walk home...all before school. My teen can go there by himself...pool, climbing wall, equipment, and I can take dd after school for fun at the indoor pool.

This will work....once I can breathe through the first time.

Thank you all for encouragement.

I have the same problem. I need to lose 40-50#, so I signed up for a membership at the Y. I tried to go in and have a intro thing for the weight machines, but haven't been back in that part since. I'm just not comfortable there. I can use the pool and be fine, but the cardio room and weight room will be off limits until my dh comes home and he can be there with me.

The times I've tried the cardio room people do stare at me, especially if it's somewhat busy and I get stuck between to perfectly sculpted men running on the treadmills. I walk, running is not something my body does due to exercise induced asthma, even just a 2 minute jog will have me almost passing out, and they always give me this look like I shouldn't be there and that I'm lazy because I'm not running.

Aww man! Stop projecting. :grouphug:

Seriously, no one cares because everyone else is focused on what they have to do. if they do, wear a smile and use the machine for 20 extra minutes.

Ok, here's a confession: I work for the Y. I am a personal trainer, teach group exercise classes, lift with the big boys... you get the idea. So, I'm subbing a Pilates class for a colleague next week. She is, maybe just 30, 4'10" and so tiny I actually wonder where she keeps her organs. Seriously, seriously little. (I don't say this critically at all) I, on the other hand, have the body of a 41 year old woman with four kids, including a set of full-sized twins. There are extra rolls of skin around my middle. And, yes, I am feeling a little out of sorts about it.

On the other hand, we have our own "Biggest Loser" type program and I offer my program clients who are hesitant to join Zumba or step or any of the other cardio classes my very own presence in the class, right next to them. Because they absolutely cannot be less coordinated than I am.

You will be fine. Plug into some great music and do your thing. After a while, you really won't even notice there are other people around, especially if you go during the slow time (it's harder to pretend when you're waiting or trying to find an opening for equipment).

I'm one of those "there-before-dawn" gym people, and like others have said, if I even *notice* that there's someone new to exercise working out next to me, the most I think is either: "Oh she/he's new" and/or "Good for him/her!"

I started out as one of those uncoordinated, could-stand-to-lose-a-few-pounds new gym attendees as well, and I very quickly discovered how much people were NOT noticing me. :lol:

Here is my story. We joined our local Y over a year ago. In the beginning, we went faithfully- brought the two kids, put them in daycare (which presented its own daunting task of coordinating), changed, and then my DH and I worked out. We started off together, but we ended up just doing our own thing and then meeting at the end to do some relaxing thing together- either a short walk, or a dip in the pool or hot tub.

But then, we stopped. I went back once, and I need to get back there. I haven't been able to find my IPOD for several months, so I finally found it. I know once I can "plug in" I will forget about everyone else around me- and that's all that matters.

Since I will have both my kids alone this time, I have to go when they offer child-watch. I keep the hours posted on my bulletin board in the kitchen. I think that havnig music (to keep you focused on something else instead of thinking what everyone else is thinking/looking at you is key). I try to go during the quiet times- I don't like to be around a lot of people.

Good luck!! :grouphug::grouphug: (And wish me some too!)