Menu

Rice Pudding for breakfast?

I've always thought of rice pudding as a dessert. But really, is it all that different from oatmeal? We put honey or maple syrup, raisins/fruit/berries, and cream in our oatmeal..., and that's the gist of my rice pudding recipe.

How would you incorporate protein into the rice pudding? My recipe doesn't call for eggs, but I suppose I could stir a couple in when it's hot? Or, serve with sausages (yum). :)

I make rice pudding with an egg in it. Just stir in and cook for "a minute".

I've seen some Chinese recipes for congee, which is rice cooked into mush (basically) with toppings, usually savory as I recall.

Rice pudding for breakfast sounds fine!

Hmmmm, funny -- dd12 and I just sat down to a snack of brown rice pudding with cream.

It is our breakfast rice recipe and we decided it's too good to have just for breakfast.

I don't know about the protein thing -- that would probably have to be a side dish with it.

Brown rice pudding? Recipe please! I haven't served rice pudding for breakfast since it seemed too rich. I did the calculation that showed there was the same amount of sugar as a bowl of cereal, but it still tastes too decadent. Brown rice pudding would be healthy, right?

Brown rice pudding? Recipe please! I haven't served rice pudding for breakfast since it seemed too rich. I did the calculation that showed there was the same amount of sugar as a bowl of cereal, but it still tastes too decadent. Brown rice pudding would be healthy, right?

I've only served brown rice pudding for breakfast and the kids adore it. We simply substitute brown rice for the white rice, however I don't think it turns out quite right. It's pretty soupy for a pudding, but it tastes good! ;)

It is very Scandinavian. From our 4H Intercultural club project, we learned that risgrot is a popular main dish and then sweetened to serve as desert. Delish. I'm craving some with lingonberry preserves right now.

Excellent! Since everyone in the household is 1/2 Norwegian, we'll call it our heritage breakfast (of champions?) :D Mmmmmmm...lingonberry preserves.

I've only served brown rice pudding for breakfast and the kids adore it. We simply substitute brown rice for the white rice, however I don't think it turns out quite right. It's pretty soupy for a pudding, but it tastes good! ;)

Got it. I'll try it! Thanks.

I do it every time I have rice pudding in the house, but I can't in good conscience call it a decent breakfast. My rice pudding recipe has a LOT more sugar than my typical oatmeal with fruits and nuts recipes. It also has a layer of meringue baked on top.. . . DARN, now I want rice pudding and it takes over an hour to make! Curse you Hive!

We have it for breakfast sometimes too. I often will reduce the amount of sugar so it's not so sweet. Other than that, the recipe I use is pretty much rice, milk, egg, and a little corn starch. I figure that's not all that different from a bowl of cereal.

If you want more egg in yours you could try a baked custard-style rice pudding.

When I was a kid, my mom used to do this thing where she purposely wrecked a batch of rice by starting it out with a bit of water and adding milk (and stirring it! :eek:) until it was done. Then cook it some more. Add more milk. Cook more, add milk...

It can take quite a bit of milk until the consistency is right (or wrong depending on your perspective! :lol:). She would serve it with butter and brown sugar. She used regular old cheap white rice. It was occasionally served for dinner with hard boiled eggs. I have no idea what was so special about that combination. Maybe it was her back up emergency dinner plan. (And believe it or not, we liked this!)

A foodie, she was not. :tongue_smilie:

I made it myself a few days ago when we were all recovering from a tummy bug. It's definitely very easy to digest.

She also had an excellent rice pudding recipe (but that was entirely different).

Kind of makes you wonder what other desserts would make a good breakfast, doesn't it? I'm pondering peach cobbler...

I make a strawberry "breakfast cheesecake" with oatmeal and flax seed in the crust and less sugar than the original recipe calls for. It's been popular at potluck brunches.

The Hive made me do it. Yes, I embarked on a 75 minute recipe at 9:30 at night because of this thread. It doesn't look all that pretty, but that's meringue on top with sweet, creamy aborio rice pudding underneath. Yes, I do believe it's tomorrow's breakfast.

08b97364.jpg

The Hive made me do it. Yes, I embarked on a 75 minute recipe at 9:30 at night because of this thread. It doesn't look all that pretty, but that's meringue on top with sweet, creamy aborio rice pudding underneath. Yes, I do believe it's tomorrow's breakfast.

Except for the part you're eating now, right? ;)

(It looks delicious!!!!!!!!!)

Looks yummy!

(Is that a GE pilot lit gas stove? I think I had an identical one...)

Our recipe would fit breakfast like a cream-filled doughnut or something like a toaster strudel qualifies as breakfast.

So you're saying that cream-filled doughnuts and toaster strudels don't qualify as breakfast? :eek:

I am so glad I never got that memo. :tongue_smilie:

(But I'm a Mean Mom, so I make my ds eat something nutritious. I eat the junky stuff before he gets up in the morning... :D)

Whenever there's pie in the ouse, I eat it for breakfast...:D

Wait - that's not a terribly healthy breakfast? When did it get all judge-y up in here?!! ;)

Carrot Cake for breakfast is good! I've come to the conclusion that it covers all the basic food groups so it's good for me :lol:

Except for the part you're eating now, right? ;)

(It looks delicious!!!!!!!!!)

Nope. It just came out of the oven. It's napalm right now. ::sigh::

Looks yummy!

(Is that a GE pilot lit gas stove? I think I had an identical one...)

I dunno. Probably. It came with the temp apartment. It cured me of wanting a gas stove :-/

I dunno. Probably. It came with the temp apartment. It cured me of wanting a gas stove :-/

If it's anything like the one I had, I can see why you'd feel that way, but don't judge all gas stoves by that one.

Ours came with our manufactured home, and I was so glad last summer to finally see it GO!

Carrot Cake for breakfast is good! I've come to the conclusion that it covers all the basic food groups so it's good for me :lol:

And if you get it with the cream cheese frosting, it's even more nutritious.

And so what if it has a lot of sugar in it? Sugar is natural. Sugar is our friend.

If it's anything like the one I had, I can see why you'd feel that way, but don't judge all gas stoves by that one.

Ours came with our manufactured home, and I was so glad last summer to finally see it GO!

This will seem like the silliest reason ever, but my daughter and I can't stand the gas oven smell. We have super sniffers. It's OK, this pickiness will save me a bundle because I'll need a new stove at the house soon and I can just get an electric one and not run a gas line to the kitchen.

I don't even really like rice pudding, but now I want some!

(P.S. I have a glass-top stove and I love it for the extra counter space it provides when I'm not cooking anything on it. Also works great for rolling out dough.)

I NEVER thought of this. I NEED more counter space!

So what time should you expect us tomorrow morning?

I will share the recipe, but the pudding is spoken for :-)

I'm starting to wonder what a WTM buffet would look like. There'd be all the foods we normally talk about. There'd be some things people don't touch because it's in the wrong kind of crockpot. There'd probably even be one dish where we'd debate whether or not o eat it at all. :D

So...how was it? As delicious as it looks?

You know, I think that meringue adds a good bit of protein. ;)

Hmmm...a Hive Mind Buffet. Would we join hands around the table and sing "Kum Ba Yah, Susan" and end with an all-out brawl over pearls? :D