Menu

When to start k

bttrflyvld

My daughter is now 4 but doesn't turn 5 till November. So technically she's not in k for another year after next. She's very bright and "needs something to do" and asks to "do school" all the time. We've been toying around with reading eggs and some online worksheets and such. She already know's most if not all preschool and some k already.

I'm not sure whether to just start reading more with her and leave her off of academics next year (meaning formal k text books) or to start her slowly and at her pace. I'm torn. I don't want to burn her desire for learning by either not following her pace or letting her do more (like a k year).

What's your opinions? What have you done?

I'm at the same quandary. My son turns five in October. He has requested reading lessons, so we're moving through them. Once I see he's fairly solid, I'll add in some informal Miquon-ish math. By the time the school year rolls around, we'll add in FIAR. I think it will be gentle enough for preK, but meet him at his level, which is past preK in many things.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you (except my DD is 2 months younger than yours). I'm starting in the fall with K because after looking through all of the Pre-K stuff she would just be bored to tears. She already knows some K material as well. I figure it gives us sort of a cushion if she falls behind at any point because she'll technically be a year ahead. Or, if we want to take a more laid back approach I won't feel like we have to be on a tight schedule, you know?

I think at your DD's age I would just go with what she wants to do. It sounds like she's eager to learn so go with it while you can. :)

Why wouldn't you start her off slowly at her pace? Why would you make her wait? :confused:

"Kindergarten" is an artificial invention. Children should learn what they're capable of doing, when they're ready to do it.

However, when you have to give her an official label of some kind, for grandparents or Sunday school or community soccer or something, do the one according to her birthday and the cut-off in your state. IOW, even if you're doing kindergarten-level stuff, don't call her a kindergartener until the year she actually would be, IYKWIM. :D

My daughter is now 4 but doesn't turn 5 till November. So technically she's not in k for another year after next. She's very bright and "needs something to do" and asks to "do school" all the time. We've been toying around with reading eggs and some online worksheets and such. She already know's most if not all preschool and some k already.

I'm not sure whether to just start reading more with her and leave her off of academics next year (meaning formal k text books) or to start her slowly and at her pace. I'm torn. I don't want to burn her desire for learning by either not following her pace or letting her do more (like a k year).

Around here she would attend K this fall, if you chose to enroll her. The cut off is Dec 31 to turn five. Some parents choose not to send their kids with NOvember or December birthdays, especially with boys. Do what works!

I vote to do what your child is ready to do. Just like I'd say not to push a kid forward that isn't ready to move I wouldn't hold a kid back who is obviously ready to move on.

I had the same problem with DS1- October birthday, but totally ready to start Kindergarten when he was almost 5. We decided to go ahead and went at his pace. We're doing first grade this year (technically ahead too) and we both know he'll have to do an "extra" year of school before he can go to a brick and mortar school if he does go someday.

DS2 is a July birthday who technically makes the cut-off and would technically start Kindergarten this fall after he turns 5, but if I weren't homeschooling I wouldn't send him- he *totally* wouldn't be able to function in a classroom setting. But because we can go slow and take lots of breaks I'm going to start him "on time" but then see if later on we might need to hold or stretch a grade over two years or something.

Edited by violingirl
spelling

I vote to do what your child is ready to do. Just like I'd say not to push a kid forward that isn't ready to move I wouldn't hold a kid back who is obviously ready to move on.

I had the same problem with DS1- October birthday, but totally ready to start Kindergarten when he was almost 5. We decided to go ahead and went at his pace. We're doing first grade this year (technically ahead too) and we both know he'll have to do an "extra" year of school before he can go to a brick and mortar school if he does go someday.

DS2 is a July birthday who technically makes the cut-off and would technically start Kindergarten this fall after he turns 5, but if I weren't homeschooling I wouldn't send him- he *totally* wouldn't be able to function in a classroom setting. But because we can go slow and take lots of breaks I'm going to start him "on time" but then see if later on we might need to hold or stretch a grade over two years or something.

:iagree: Same boat here.

I think the only real trouble you will run into starting early is if her fine motor skills are lacking - it will be difficult to move onto first grade work early if she can't handle the writing KWIM.

That being said -start her if you think she is ready.

I am in the same boat with my 4yo who doesn't turn 5 till September. He is not due to start K till January next year but is already reading and doing K math (without me teaching him). I tried to hold off because I didn't want him surpassing his older sister and I didn't want to have to teach 2 kids when I don't really HAVE to KWIM but it didn't make any difference -he just sat in on her lessons and picked it all up without me direct teaching :001_huh: He has now surapassed his sister and is begging for more so I'm giving in and starting him.

The issue we have is that he is a typical boy when it comes to fine motor skills -can barely hold a pencil. So my plan is to not push him to start any writing and just take dicatation for him and let him join in on everythng else. He does maths on the computer so he doesn't haven't to worry about writing.

My 4 year old is only due to start K next year in January (September birthday) but has been doing K and 1st grade work already this year - she has only just begun handwriting and it is nowhere near a first grade level so we just do things a bit differently and don't require handwriting for anything except handwriting practice. I would hate to hold my child back just because she cannot write well enough when she fully understands the work and wants to do it. That is the joy of homeschooling - that you can do what works for your own child. While she is doing the work fine I usually do it in shorter sections so that seatwork never lasts more than about 5 minutes at a time and if she does want to write math answers then I usually give her something to write them on so she can write bigger than most worksheets give her space for.

Edited by Tanikit

My daughter is now 4 but doesn't turn 5 till November.

In my state, she would start K if she were going to public school. Our cutoff is December 1st. I have a late fall birthday and started school before turning 5 and turned out just fine!

Regarding my children, I go with what they are ready to do.

Regarding the state? The law says by age 6, so no matter what my kids are doing, I don't officially file intent for them until age 6. Then, I just do the paperwork moving forward from there. However, I let my kids take off and move ahead, or slow down and take their time on concepts according to *their* need.

So far, my two eldest could have graduated *early* according to the state ppw, however they chose to use the time to slow down the academics and focus on their music which is their post-secondary school focus. According to the *state*, they graduated *on time*.

I make it work for *us*. kwim?

I would begin homeschooling with whatever she's ready for.

For reporting purposes, I would not register with your state/local district until she is at the mandatory reporting age. And I would call her whatever "grade" she would chronologically fit with her same-age peers.

For social situations, like church, clubs, scouts, etc., I'd put her with same-age peers.

And I'd keep in mind that in the early years, skills like reading are developmental. It's totally normal for her to be ready at 4, progress to a point, then plateau off, just to jump ahead by leaps a few months later. If a child is ready at this age, give them what they're ready for - and when they hit a wall, back off and focus on "fun" skill building for a while.

For reporting purposes, I would not register with your state/local district until she is at the mandatory reporting age. And I would call her whatever "grade" she would chronologically fit with her same-age peers.

For social situations, like church, clubs, scouts, etc., I'd put her with same-age peers.

And I'd keep in mind that in the early years, skills like reading are developmental. It's totally normal for her to be ready at 4, progress to a point, then plateau off, just to jump ahead by leaps a few months later. If a child is ready at this age, give them what they're ready for - and when they hit a wall, back off and focus on "fun" skill building for a while.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is my plan exactly. My DD4 has an Oct birthday.

I agree with PP, we have the luxury with homeschooling to follow their lead rather than an arbitrary date. My DS1 turns 5 in August (we school Jan-Dec here in Aus, and the cut off date is April 1st, so he'd have to wait until 5.5y/o to start school here). He was ready and eager so we started anyway, he's doing great and thriving. My oldest was the same. I'm very glad I wasn't forced to hold them back.

I vote to do what your child is ready to do.

:iagree:

1) Don't push. If she doesn't want to do something (formal) one day or for a whole month, do something fun instead. (It is amazing how much math you can do with games. Read to her a lot!)

2) You will have this extra 'year' later if you need it or want it.

My oldest is a mid-Nov birthday. Our cut-off used to be mid-Oct but is now end of July. She's "young" for her grade here. I'm planning on using that extra year later for a gap year or so she can have a part time job when in high school.

Dd#3 has a January birthday. She's my "promote in January" child. Works for her!

My ds#1 will technically make the cut-off to start K *THIS* fall. There is NO WAY he is ready. I'll start doing K-stuff when he's ready, whenever that is.

I needed to see this board today. My 4yo child is the child that I struggle with labeling. I purchased a bunch of pre k stuff because I did not want to rush him into school. But he asks everyday to do school. I will be ordering a K level math and reading program for him but working more with his motor skills and reading reading lots of picture books to him.

• 3 weeks later...
:iagree:

1) Don't push. If she doesn't want to do something (formal) one day or for a whole month, do something fun instead. (It is amazing how much math you can do with games. Read to her a lot!)

2) You will have this extra 'year' later if you need it or want it.

My oldest is a mid-Nov birthday. Our cut-off used to be mid-Oct but is now end of July. She's "young" for her grade here. I'm planning on using that extra year later for a gap year or so she can have a part time job when in high school.

Thanks These are great. A mild layed back entry into formal schooling will be great.

Haven't read replies. :001_huh:

We start "kinder/prep" (year before grade 1, Im over telling because it seems to be called something different everywhere I go lol) the year the child turns 6 (our "school" years out here in Aus are Jan-Dec though, not july-june or whatever it is for US).

So for prep/kinder year they have basics - Maths (Singapore Math 2yr kinder programme- Part A), Phonics (Explode the Code Primers), A social studies workbook from an Aus place that starts with about Me & my family. Other than that we read lots and lots of books based on introducing thems (berenstein bears big book of science, books about people around the world, classics etc)

BEFORE that year we do arts & crafts, sensory/montessori play, All About Reading Pre-Level 1, and the Pre-K curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler, we also have a big "extra" preschool Singapore Math book, and if they feel like doing that (when big sis is doing Maths) they can. Since I have a child in Grade 1, plans for this year are based round her, the young-uns just follow on, so they do get to do geography, history etc.

If I was in the US three programs I would look at would be:

Mother Goose Story time curriculum (monthly kits)

Bright Beginnings Preschool Curriculum (book)

Little Passports (monthly geography program)

I know all thats probably not much help in the area your after, but hopefully gives you some ideas of things to try.

For montessori, one of the best sites is:

countingcoconuts.blogspot.com