Menu

Gymnastics vs Tennis for Young Kids

My son is almost 6 and wants to try gymnastics and tennis. He currently does Tae Kwon Do, and also wants to try soccer, basketball, and T-Ball. However, he has been talking about tennis on and off for a year. He said today that he's even more interested in gymnastics. Both would require lessons. (DH and I can teach soccer and T-ball.)

Is there a clear benefit to one over the other? It seems like tennis is good because adults can easily play it for free at the park. Tennis can be learn by someone older without a problem, whereas it seems gymnastics is meant to be started young. Gymnastics is also probably more expensive in the long run, and can't be done easily once a child quits lessons.

Any thoughts?

Gymnastics is an excellent foundation from which to move to almost any sport. So even if he only sticks with it a few years, he will be the better for it.

Boys older than 1st/2nd grade or so need a gym with a good boys program since their needs are different, so if you don't have one near you, that may be an issue. Of course, if he is daredevilish you could always find a T&T gym!

Just like any sport, tennis can be a HUGE commitment. Two of dd's former teammates switched to tennis and the hours were only slightly less than gymnastics hours but the travel was more extensive. However, one girl received a full scholarship, the other is still a sophomore.

I want to say that there is no need to consider being that serious if he is so young, but if the only way you can pay for college is an athletic scholarship, well, it's best to start early...

I like gymnastics because body control and strengthening. We had my son start about two months before he turned six.

We enjoy watching his strength and confidence grow, we never suspected he would compete, but he is in his third year! He loves working with his team to get the highest team score possible as well as the competition with himself to better his scores each meet.

Although we would never have considered him athletic at nine years old, he has been able to pick up other sports pretty easily. Something that could not be said for picking up gymnastics later in life.

Several of his teammates play other sports including soccer, baseball, basketball, swim team, and wrestling. Apparently gymnasts make particularly good swimmers/divers, wrestlers and basketball players. They also have great endurance.

I want to say that there is no need to consider being that serious if he is so young

The reason I asked was because we know a couple teenagers and one adult that used to do it. The woman was on her high school team, but once she graduated, that was it. I feel kind of bad that she spent so much time on a sport that she can't do anymore. My DH played baseball and I played soccer, so we can still easily find places to play as adults.

Another girl we know quit (I think) because she didn't want to go from 13 hours of training per week to 20. She was at a dead end, unless she joined the more advanced team.

After hearing these stories, I thought it would make more sense to steer our kids in the direction of sports they can do all their lives. Of course, we could still let him try gymnastics for fun, and encourage him to focus more on another sport when he gets older.

The reason I asked was because we know a couple teenagers and one adult that used to do it. The woman was on her high school team, but once she graduated, that was it. I feel kind of bad that she spent so much time on a sport that she can't do anymore. My DH played baseball and I played soccer, so we can still easily find places to play as adults.

Another girl we know quit (I think) because she didn't want to go from 13 hours of training per week to 20. She was at a dead end, unless she joined the more advanced team.

After hearing these stories, I thought it would make more sense to steer our kids in the direction of sports they can do all their lives. Of course, we could still let him try gymnastics for fun, and encourage him to focus more on another sport when he gets older.

Lots of people spend time on things through high school that they don't do after graduation, but most probably don't regret the time spent. Most kids that dance through high school don't go any further with it, same for choir, musical theatre, gymnastics, cheerleading, even debate and yearbook. Valuable life skills are gained whether they go on or not. Discipline strength, a desire for regular exercise, and more can he gained through gymnastics.

And, as you said, gymnastics OS hard to pick up later in life and tennis would be possible. I would do gymnastics now. Let him try it. If he gets bored after a year, switch to tennis. My son loves gymnastics! He is getting so strong!

Of course, we could still let him try gymnastics for fun, and encourage him to focus more on another sport when he gets older.

You could absolutely do this. And don't forget that many kids never make it past the beginning competition level - they leave the sport and pursue other activities. Many of the kids dd started with quit after level 6, and most of them quit when they entered high school - and all but one were very successful in whatever other sport they chose (although pp was spot on about diving). Not that the one was unsuccessful, she just chose to not do any sport.

Regarding artistic gymnastics, it is typical that you will not continue the sport into adulthood. However, I cannot imagine having spent a lifetime being physically active and then not pursuing anything. Adult gymnasts can turn into runners, swimmers and whatnot. And boys peak so much later than girls that they will be doing gymnastics into their 20s, easily.

The neatest thing for me to see was the male, adult, ex-artistic gymnasts that turned to trampoline. I know no less than 5 men over 50 that still get on the trampoline and ROCK it! One man even competed at nationals when he was 45 years old :tongue_smilie:

You could absolutely do this. And don't forget that many kids never make it past the beginning competition level - they leave the sport and pursue other activities. Many of the kids dd started with quit after level 6, and most of them quit when they entered high school - and all but one were very successful in whatever other sport they chose (although pp was spot on about diving). Not that the one was unsuccessful, she just chose to not do any sport.

Regarding artistic gymnastics, it is typical that you will not continue the sport into adulthood. However, I cannot imagine having spent a lifetime being physically active and then not pursuing anything. Adult gymnasts can turn into runners, swimmers and whatnot. And boys peak so much later than girls that they will be doing gymnastics into their 20s, easily.

The neatest thing for me to see was the male, adult, ex-artistic gymnasts that turned to trampoline. I know no less than 5 men over 50 that still get on the trampoline and ROCK it! One man even competed at nationals when he was 45 years old :tongue_smilie:

Have you seen Kathy Rigby as Peter Pan? She tumbled all over the place. We saw her thos year, we had sixth row seats. They really made her up to look young, but it was awesome!

Edited by chepyl

Have you seen Kathy Rigbyas Peter Pan? She tumbled all over the place. We saw her thos year, we had sixth row seats. They really made her up to look young, but it was awesome!

Lucky! I heard that was a great show!

As for the following, I would like for you to walk in to a gymnastics facility instead of just watching on tv, because puberty is definitely NOT disguised. Well, actually between the Leo and the sports bra, maybe a little bit :P I would also accept your viewing of a college gym meet.

And then I will change your title to: Tips for Sports.

Tips for Gymnastics :-

-> Usually before puberty, or with all signs of puberty disguised by huge amounts of exercise and a restricted diet

-> If she is the girls have to put in vast numbers of hours of physically hard training

-> Many of course will fall by the wayside with injuries before they even see the inside of a competition hall

Lucky! I heard that was a great show!

As for the following, I would like for you to walk in to a gymnastics facility instead of just watching on tv, because puberty is definitely NOT disguised. Well, actually between the Leo and the sports bra, maybe a little bit :P I would also accept your viewing of a college gym meet.

And then I will change your title to: Tips for Sports.

My mom took the kids and I. They loved it. Go see it if you get the chance, her dancing and acrobatics are so much fun.

Guest submarines

How's his personality? What I like about tennis, is that one can still win after a number of initial weaknesses and mistakes. Even for the serve, one gets two chances. One can start a game unfocused, and still be able to re-focus and win, especially in kids' tennis.

In gymnastics so much depends on one perfect performance. I think recreational gymnastics is great for general physical development, but I really don't like the mentality that one can lose because of one misstep, no matter how hard one trains. That's my personal bias, but something to think about nevertheless. :D

Try to let him do it all! He is 6. He doesn't need to do it all at the same time. Rotate! Choosing a sport at such a young age is a tremendous mistake. Try to do two sports at a time if you can financially. Some sports have seasons which make it a bit easier to do many. Gymnastics is a wonderful thing for young kids. Personally, I think they should all get to spend some time doing it. It gives the best all around conditioning and body awareness out there. I, however, do not think it is a good idea to stick with it long term/at a high level. (Coming from a former gymnast who spent 15 years training.) I would drop the tai kwon do and substitute gymnastics. When/if he returns to t.k.d., the gymnastics will have improved his skill set (probably faster than staying there). Then, let him rotate all of the other sports based on season. If you can manage to play them without joining a team, have at it!

I think it might be nice to do a bit of gymnastics, just because it's kind of fun to hurtle one's body through space. I do think it's mostly a kid thing, but that's okay. I think it's a time for trying different things and, say, cartwheeling down a hill covered in dandelions and other kid activities. There are some programs near me for kids esp during the summer that rotate them through a variety of sports, and I think that's a nice idea.

Competitive gymnastics is a great character builder. This weekend ds. 10 had a fall on his first event- mushroom/pommel, which is something he never falls on. Now, he is a two time state champion and has had a great season. After that fall he had to make a decision of what type of meet he was going to have. He was ready to just participate and get it over with until a high score on rings gave him the determination to catch up and win. He ended up tying for second with his teammate from starting .8 behind. He felt so much better about that meet than he does at the rest of them when he just takes first all the time. This is just one example. I've seen so much of his mental and emotional growth come directly from gymnastics. I'm sure this is true for any sport, but gymnastics is tough!

I consider recreational gymnastics to be therapy for my DD-it's helped her motor skills and sensory stuff THAT much. Other sports just left her standing there, in tears, without really building any new skills because it was so all or nothing-there weren't the sequential steps and breakdown that she needed in something like soccer or t-ball. The coach could say "kick the ball"-but couldn't seem to teach her how to balance so she could kick without falling over. Her gymnastics coaches have been able to teach her those skills.

At this point she's 7. And still at level 1 after a year and a half. I don't know that she'll EVER get off level 1. But the difference in DD is dramatic.

Try to let him do it all! He is 6. He doesn't need to do it all at the same time. Rotate! Choosing a sport at such a young age is a tremendous mistake. Try to do two sports at a time if you can financially. Some sports have seasons which make it a bit easier to do many. Gymnastics is a wonderful thing for young kids. Personally, I think they should all get to spend some time doing it. It gives the best all around conditioning and body awareness out there. I, however, do not think it is a good idea to stick with it long term/at a high level. (Coming from a former gymnast who spent 15 years training.) I would drop the tai kwon do and substitute gymnastics. When/if he returns to t.k.d., the gymnastics will have improved his skill set (probably faster than staying there). Then, let him rotate all of the other sports based on season. If you can manage to play them without joining a team, have at it!

:iagree:

Have you considered contacting your local HS tennis coach to see if one of his/her players are interested in giving lessons? Our babysitter plays tennis and is currently giving lessons to my oldest. It works out really well. He gets 1:1 and I get less expensive lessons.

We allow each of our child to pick one activity per season. They have tried them all... football, soccer, dance, gymnastics, basketball, baseball, tennis, piano, golf, etc. It works out well when they are able to enjoy one extra activity at a time (at least for us). It took my oldest 4 years to find the one he likes most and wants to focus on, but it was worth it.

Edited by Cara in Ky

Tennis. Tennis is for life. My dh comes from a big tennis family and we decided to have ds start tennis just last month. My 67 yr old FIL still plays 3 plus times per week. You can't say the same about any of the others sports/activities you listed except tae kwon do. Also my FIL and his brothers all played in college with scholarships:)

I'd do both . . .maybe gymnastics during the school year and a tennis day camp in the summer. Very few people stick with gymnastics for life, but that flexibility and body-awareness carries into every other physical thing you do. I haven't done a backhandspring in two decades, but I do think that it has transitioned into a lifetime of physical activity I have no experience with tennis, but it seems like a fun, social sport you can play at any level you'd like for a lifetime.

I don't think you can go wrong. Have him try both then pick one. You don't have to make the decision and you don't have to do them at the same time.