Menu

help me pick a new read aloud for my 5 yr old

Lots of boys

My ds (5) easily tunes out if books don't interest him. We just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and he liked that a lot. We have recently read:

-The Mouse and the Motorcycle (liked o.k.)

-The Wizard of Oz (like a lot)

-Elmer and the Dragon series (liked a lot)

-Stuart Little (liked O.k.)

-The Trumpet of the Swan (he was bored through this)

What should our next read aloud be? If it isn't action packed enough he will just tune me out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

These are some of my kids' favorites currently (especially ones my little guy who's 4 liked to listen to):

books by Dick King-Smith like Babe and Funny Frank and Lady Lollipop

Dominic by Steig

Gooney Bird Green by Lowry

Boxcar Children

Dolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover

Bed and Biscuit books by Joan Carris

Lighthouse Family Series by Cynthia Rylant

Henry Huggins by Cleary

The Story of Dr. Dolittle

Mr. Popper's Penguins

My five-year old loved Mr. Popper's Penguins as well as James and the Giant Peach. We just started reading Little House in the Big Woods last night and he told me it was the best book he's ever heard. :confused: Was not expecting that at all, because he generally likes a little bit more action, hijinks, or humorous happenings in his reading.

What a great thread! Definitely making a list.

I've read Charlie & the Chocolate Factory w/ my 5yo and she loved it.

In our to-do pile:

Charlotte's Web

Stuart Little

the Narnia series

The Witches (Dahl)

Mouse & the Motorcycle and Ralph S. Mouse

the Borrowers series

If you have a kindle, there are a lot of good classics for free:

Voyages of Dr. Dolittle

Story of Dr. Dolittle

all of the "Among the ____ People" by Clara Dillingham Pierson

all of Andrew Lang's Fairy Books

My Fathers Dragon series

Boxcars Children series

Also Wizard of Oz is a great series and all of them are few on line. I ended up reading them out loud twice because my D's was too little and could not remember the whole story..

Guest Knotty rye

We just finished reading The Chocolate Touch last week...it was a favourite of mine when I was little and ties in nicely for health and career. We just started reading another favourite of mine - The Secret World of Og, and he loves it :)

(my son is 6)

We just finished reading The Chocolate Touch last week...it was a favourite of mine when I was little and ties in nicely for health and career. We just started reading another favourite of mine - The Secret World of Og, and he loves it :)

(my son is 6)

Was that a TV special too? I had forgotten all about that! My library does not have that book :glare: I am going to have to track it down :tongue_smilie:

We did The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles a few months ago and of my kids loved it. It works well as a read aloud too IMO. My kids were 7 and 4 at the time, and the 4 yo followed along really well. http://www.amazon.com/Last-Really-Great-Whangdoodles/dp/0060218053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330279270&sr=1-1

We are currently reading TumTum and Nutmeg to my 5 yo DD.

The Little House series was very popular here. DS1 at age 5 really liked Roald Dahl and still enjoys anything written by him.

The Doll People was another hit with DD, who was 4, almost 5 at the time we read it. It has a good amount of adventure in it.

DS1 enjoyed Henry Huggins and Ribsy at that age.

Thanks everyone. These are great suggestions.

We had read Mr. Popper Penguins and the first three books in the Boxcar Children and my boys loved all of them too. I have a boxed set of R. Dahl so I will take your suggestions and dive into Matilda or James and the Giant Peach. I am going to put The Chocolate Touch on reserve at my library too !!

All of Roald Dahl's books seem to be a big hit with kids. I remember loving them myself. If you haven't read Fantastic Mr Fox with him I would recommend it really highly.

Another author my DS loves is Enid Blyton. So far we have read all of the Magic Faraway Tree books, a Wishing Chair book (DS loved it - I hated it!), the first Secret Seven book and the first Famous Five book.

We are just finishing Winnie the Pooh (we read The House at Pooh Corner first as I mis-remembered which one came first) and we are moving on to Little House in the Big Wood next. I can't wait! By the way, DS has really enjoyed the A. A. Milne poetry books Now We Are Six and When We Were Very Young.

Emma x

Hi!

Here are some of my oldest's favorites as of late (he turned six earlier this month):

books by Beverly Cleary -- especially the Henry/Ribsy/Ramona ones

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books (Betty Macdonald...I think there are five)

Invention of Hugo Cabret (huge hit! Brian Selznick)

Tale of Despereaux (Kate DiCamillo)

The Wayside School books (Louis Sachar)

Frindle (Andrew Clements)

Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe (C.S. Lewis)

eta:

oh yeah, and Owls in the Family (Farley Mowat) and as many others were saying, books by Roald Dahl!

Edited by anyavern

A basket full of picture books might hold his interest better, but if you're trying to stretch him a bit into chapter books, why not read more books from the Wizard of Oz series? He liked the first book, he might enjoy more.

My five year old twins are LOVING this set and this set by Thornton Burgess. They've also enjoyed Misty of Chincoteague (and other Marguerite Henry books), American Tall Tales (Mary Pope Osborne), and the In Grandma's Attic series (not sure how this would work for a boy). HTH.

My five-year-old LOVES all the little stories by Thornton Burgess, like The Adventures of . . . Jimmy Skunk, Billy Mink, Reddy Fox, Peter Cottontail, Sammy Jay, Mr. Mocker, etc.

He also loved My Father's Dragon, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, as your boy did.

Other big hits this year:

Little House in the Big Woods

Farmer Boy

Little House on the Prairie

On the Banks of Plum Creek

Wind in the Willows

Beyond the Paw Paw Trees

James and the Giant Peach

Winnie the Pooh

We're looking forward to reading more of the great suggestions in this thread!!