Menu

To direct sell or not to direct sell..that's my??

I've been approached by an acquaintance with about a product that is fairly new on the market about becoming a consultant for the company. I looked it up and it sounds interesting but I'm just not sure if I want to get back into the direct selling...I've tried it several times:001_huh: with different companies over the past 15 years! I know they work because I have a good friend that has done really well with her company. We really could use some extra money right now. I tried working a part time job last summer but when school started I just could not keep it all together so I quit.

Here's the pros and cons I've come up with..

PROS

I can make some extra $$

fairly new product /get in on the ground floor so to speak

can create good residual income

will be around people

respected/proven company name

small investment

I will get some adult interaction

I could make enough to hire an house cleaner!!

CONS

Can I really make the money

will need to have customers

maintain customers/create new ones

Product is not cheap

I'm not organized

it's better to do a large investment

Edited by cherylw
add info

I think that direct selling can be great for certain people. Ask your friend what she does to make it work for her. Are you willing to consistently, persistently do such things? Do you have money you can invest to get started? It costs to get going with such companies. Do you have what it takes? It is not rocket science, but it is not easy to make much money unless selling and recruiting come naturally for you. I think it is important to be really honest about what you are willing and able to do before getting started, because you will not make much money without much effort over a long period of time.

If you are selling a product, and the company is paying you to sell a product, I think that is great.

If it is some networking scheme, I'd be out the door like lightning - when someone has a product that they aren't willing to risk the loss on, and when the "scheme" is more important than the actual product, I just find it distasteful.

If they expect you to buy the product and try to resell it - nah.

I think that direct selling can be great for certain people. Ask your friend what she does to make it work for her. Are you willing to consistently, persistently do such things? Do you have money you can invest to get started? It costs to get going with such companies. Do you have what it takes? It is not rocket science, but it is not easy to make much money unless selling and recruiting come naturally for you. I think it is important to be really honest about what you are willing and able to do before getting started, because you will not make much money without much effort over a long period of time.

:iagree:

First, is the product consumable? If it's not something that people use up and need more of (make-up, food, candles, etc.) the repeat business will be more of a challenge.

Second, is the product unique or is it something that can be found for less in WalMart? If a similar product is available at WalMart what does your potential company have that makes it a better value? Why would you buy x from a consultant and not the store?

Third, if your product is not a bargain, do you feel comfortable selling a product that isn't really a great value? What are you going to do to add value to the product?

Fourth, with direct sales the hours are flexible, not optional. Are you willing to work to make money? Are you disciplined enough to set your hours and stick to them? Are you organized enough to work from home?

Fifth, are you excited about the company? Are you excited about encouraging others to come work for the company with you? The money in direct sales comes when you build a team.

I had a successful direct sales business for 10 years. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

First, is the product consumable? If it's not something that people use up and need more of (make-up, food, candles, etc.) the repeat business will be more of a challenge.

Second, is the product unique or is it something that can be found for less in WalMart? If a similar product is available at WalMart what does your potential company have that makes it a better value? Why would you buy x from a consultant and not the store?

Third, if your product is not a bargain, do you feel comfortable selling a product that isn't really a great value? What are you going to do to add value to the product?

Fourth, with direct sales the hours are flexible, not optional. Are you willing to work to make money? Are you disciplined enough to set your hours and stick to them? Are you organized enough to work from home?

Fifth, are you excited about the company? Are you excited about encouraging others to come work for the company with you? The money in direct sales comes when you build a team.

I had a successful direct sales business for 10 years. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

1..it is consumable

2..it is not something you can get at walmart

3..I believe its a good value..but still not cheap

4..this will be challenging...I'm ADD:001_huh:

5..I'm not sure about this. I would have trouble asking people to invest their money. Maybe I can overcome this.

I know direct selling can really work. I've tried several companies and realized I'm just terrible at asking people to buy something. Definitely not a salesman. I know several people that are doing great with direct selling and are with different companies. I think you need to be honest with yourself about how "SOLD" you are on the product. If you are just trying to sell something and not SOLD on it yourself it will be real hard to fake it. Are you a natural with people and good at this sort of thing. The problem with me is I see how good people are and how well they are doing and I think "I could do that" but in reality I'm not good at it. So I've learned not to try anymore. Good luck!

I couldn't do it either. There are several ladies that direct sell 31, posh (newest one out there),pampered chef, longaberger, and more 31. You lose friends pretty quickly overloading them with requests to buy/have a party/buy their outdated products for a whopping 20% off/have a party for Bertha so she can get the lunch bag at 50% off/become a sales person too so I can go to the Bahamas since I went to Hawaii last year. What really bothers me are the ones that do fundraising with their products. Yet they only donate 5-10% of their profits, while deducting gas and other expenses too. We do have one longaberger lady that donates 100% when she does fundraisers. And she is pretty low key. I will participate then/buy from her. But, how many 31 bags can one own?:glare:

Ok. Off my soapbox. ;) I just couldn't do that to my friends and expect to keep them too. :tongue_smilie: But, if you are good at networking and have a large base of friends, you can be successful.

I agree that direct selling, no matter how good the product, is a quick way to churn and burn thru your friends. You say you've tried direct sales repeatedly over the years and it didn't work for you -- that is the best predictor of how it would go this time, no matter how well your acquaintance seems to be doing, no matter how wonderful the product. You'll pour in tons of time and money, annoy your friends, and *maybe* make a wage equivalent to working in an asian sweatshop. Do you think maybe you are infatuated with the idea because of your ADD?

Honestly, I don't see a huge market for skin care in this economy, and I question how well your "acquaintance" is doing, is she really selling os much product in repeat sales, or did she just have a good term because she sold thru her friends once and has gotten a lot of new associates for the company?

Don't walk away, RUN.

I would give the actual experiences you've already had with direct sales more weight in the decision-making process than any items in your list of pros that came from the company's marketing materials and representatives. The product itself wouldn't ultimately determine whether you could make this business opportunity a success. No product, no matter how wonderful, will sell itself.

Do you think maybe you are infatuated with the idea because of your ADD?

Could be:)

I can completely understand with many of your comments but for some reason I just really want this to work. I really want something that I can do around my own schedule. At the same time I do want to be realistic about it and myself.

I haven't tried the product yet..never heard of it until she called me. Basically the company wanted to change their business model from infomercials to direct sells with their expanded line. I WILL try it and MUST like it before I would try to sell it. My thoughts are lots of people are willing to try something new and will be buying skin care anyway. But I do have a problem asking all my friends...there would be a few that would probably help me and still be my friend. I'm very careful in this area. Parties are not necessary but making lots of contacts is. So then I would then have to try to make new contacts.

Run, don't walk. RUN!

Many people, even people who won't say it to your face, HATE HATE HATE being approached by their friends about the latest product they are selling. It reduces the friendship to a business transaction and it feels like there is no friendship left, kwim?

IMO, direct sales have done a lot of damage to friendships. I just want to hang out with friends, not hear a sales pitch, not hear why I should host a party, not hear about the latest "discount" (that still leaves the product overpriced, typically), not hear about why the product is supposedly better than what I can get at a store. See, I GREATLY PREFER buying stuff in stores for many reasons, but partially because I do not have a relationship with the salesperson. I'm buying/he or she is selling, there is no mixing of roles. When I'm done buying I leave. There is no pretense of a friendship.

It muddies the waters. It can make your friends unhappy to see you. And, truly, the whole "get in on the ground floor" has been used SO MANY TIMES by MLM's that it is ridiculous. And, if any MLM tells you, "but, we aren't an MLM!!" RUN AND RUN AND RUN AWAY FAST!! Some companies use symantics to explain why they want you to believe that they are not MLM or not a pyramid. Believe me when I tell you this: If they have a lot fewer people at the top than the bottom, they are pyramid enough to not have me be a part of their shape! :lol:

Run, don't walk. RUN!

Many people, even people who won't say it to your face, HATE HATE HATE being approached by their friends about the latest product they are selling. It reduces the friendship to a business transaction and it feels like there is no friendship left, kwim?

IMO, direct sales have done a lot of damage to friendships. I just want to hang out with friends, not hear a sales pitch, not hear why I should host a party, not hear about the latest "discount" (that still leaves the product overpriced, typically), not hear about why the product is supposedly better than what I can get at a store. See, I GREATLY PREFER buying stuff in stores for many reasons, but partially because I do not have a relationship with the salesperson. I'm buying/he or she is selling, there is no mixing of roles. When I'm done buying I leave. There is no pretense of a friendship.

I agree...I have friends on FB who sell Scentsy, which I am not interested in and never will be, and sometimes it seems like all their "status updates" are really sales pitches.

Don't do it. Ugh.

It muddies the waters. It can make your friends unhappy to see you. And, truly, the whole "get in on the ground floor" has been used SO MANY TIMES by MLM's that it is ridiculous. And, if any MLM tells you, "but, we aren't an MLM!!" RUN AND RUN AND RUN AWAY FAST!! Some companies use symantics to explain why they want you to believe that they are not MLM or not a pyramid. Believe me when I tell you this: If they have a lot fewer people at the top than the bottom, they are pyramid enough to not have me be a part of their shape! :lol:

I've been approached by an acquaintance with about a product that is fairly new on the market about becoming a consultant for the company. I looked it up and it sounds interesting but I'm just not sure if I want to get back into the direct selling...I've tried it several times:001_huh: with different companies over the past 15 years! I know they work because I have a good friend that has done really well with her company. We really could use some extra money right now. I tried working a part time job last summer but when school started I just could not keep it all together so I quit.

Here's the pros and cons I've come up with..

PROS

I can make some extra $$

fairly new product /get in on the ground floor so to speak

can create good residual income

will be around people

respected/proven company name

small investment

I will get some adult interaction

I could make enough to hire an house cleaner!!

CONS

Can I really make the money

will need to have customers

maintain customers/create new ones

Product is not cheap

I'm not organized

it's better to do a large investment

There is really only one question that matters. Are you a GREAT salesperson?

I can talk to anyone, yet I'm a terrible salesperson. I can tell you anything you want to know - if you come to me. I cannot approach people to sell them things no matter how great the thing is.

If you can, go for it. I have a brother who could sell ice to Eskimos, as my Mom used to say. He began selling cars from our yard when he was about 14, giving Mom a $10 dollar commission if she sold while he was in school during the day. Both of them were fabulous at it. I'm not. I did not get those genes. If you did, go for it.

Not to mention that your friends can turn into potential buyers, which really annoys people, unless you are well able to keep these two realms separate.

Believe me when I tell you this: If they have a lot fewer people at the top than the bottom, they are pyramid enough to not have me be a part of their shape! :lol:

Um, wouldn't that apply to any business? 50 workers, 5 supervisors, 2 v.p.'s, and a company president, for example.

IMO, direct sales have done a lot of damage to friendships. I just want to hang out with friends, not hear a sales pitch, not hear why I should host a party, not hear about the latest "discount" (that still leaves the product overpriced, typically), not hear about why the product is supposedly better than what I can get at a store. See, I GREATLY PREFER buying stuff in stores for many reasons, but partially because I do not have a relationship with the salesperson.

You know, this is SO true. My husband once bought a suit from a friend, who was in the business of selling custom made suits. He did it to be a nice guy and jumpstart the friend's business.

The suit took forever, was EXTREMELY ILL FITTING, and cost 3 times more than any suit he had purchased before or purchased since. It couldn't be returned because it was custom.

We never said anything because of the relationship, but it sure was a waste of money.

I vote for don't do it. It can work out for a few people who are great salespeople and have a huge list of contacts so people don't get too sick of hearing about it. If you've tried direct sales several times before and it hasn't worked, then you are probably not a good candidate. The product is not really that important in direct selling - I can't think of any direct sales product that I've seen where there aren't equivalent products available (usually cheaper) online or in regular stores. The important part is being really, REALLY good at selling.

I know at least a dozen people who have lost a lot of money getting started up (and buying startup product) from direct sell companies). Most also lost quite a few friends along the way because people got sick of listening to the pitch. I've never known anyone who broke even, let alone made a profit.

Here's something to think about and it's a perspective I heard from Dave Ramsey (he had a caller with similar questions) but I also have 4 years experience from direct selling, and I completely agree with what DR had to say.

The real money to be had from direct sales isn't from selling the product; it's from recruiting others onto your team. I always felt weird trying to recruit people. It felt pushy to me, but there are people out there who recruit without making it feel pushy. I got good at selling my product and was able to make a decent amount of "pocket change" but recruiting wasn't my thing so I had to work harder to make more money selling.

DR said that when you're in the DS business, you're actually in the people business, selling the JOB and not the product.

I think you should ask yourself are you ready to sell the opportunity, not the product.

I couldn't do it either. There are several ladies that direct sell 31, posh (newest one out there),pampered chef, longaberger, and more 31. You lose friends pretty quickly overloading them with requests to buy/have a party/buy their outdated products for a whopping 20% off/have a party for Bertha so she can get the lunch bag at 50% off/become a sales person too so I can go to the Bahamas since I went to Hawaii last year. What really bothers me are the ones that do fundraising with their products. Yet they only donate 5-10% of their profits, while deducting gas and other expenses too. We do have one longaberger lady that donates 100% when she does fundraisers. And she is pretty low key. I will participate then/buy from her. But, how many 31 bags can one own?:glare:

Ok. Off my soapbox. ;) I just couldn't do that to my friends and expect to keep them too. :tongue_smilie: But, if you are good at networking and have a large base of friends, you can be successful.

Ack, yes! We just had a Partylite fundraiser. You had to participate or buy your way out. So I bought a jar candle and my MIL, who likes their candles bought some. When they came in, the "jar candle" was tiny! It was basically a votive in a glass cup. For $10 (actually, 2 for $20. Mil and i split it.) I was so embarassed that I sold this to anyone and so glad others said no. Now, they did get 50% profit, so I don't feel like the consultant was at fault. And I know other companies sell overpriced carp as fundraisers. But this was a little over the top. Complete rip off.

Anyway, off my rant. I have to agreee with everything said here. It's not a good idea. Unless you can make a very low investment and keep your expectations low, don't try this at all. I think most people are tiring of the mlm party system. Not everyone. I do have some friends eho are still gung ho about hosting parties and buying stuff. But it's not like it used to be when grandma made a livng selling Home Interiors.

Run, don't walk. RUN!

:iagree: I feel similarly.

And I don't care what anyone says to the contrary, it ALWAYS negatively affects friends when you try, urge, "enlighten," beg, hint and nag them to be part of your pyramid or buy your products.

. I think most people are tiring of the mlm party system. Not everyone. I do have some friends eho are still gung ho about hosting parties and buying stuff. But it's not like it used to be when grandma made a livng selling Home Interiors.

I used to have parties for various companies and I sold Usborne for a while. But in 2004 I made a blanket decision that I would NEVER host a party again for any company. If I wanted something, I would buy it. It's so nice having that whole idea out of my life.

I agree...I have friends on FB who sell Scentsy, which I am not interested in and never will be, and sometimes it seems like all their "status updates" are really sales pitches.

One of my "friends" sells Posh (AND 31). So every post has the word posh

in every status update. I am having poshatistic day! My dinner is poshilicious! and every couple of days I am getting an invite for another posh event. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with what others have said...having looked extensively at Pampered Chef, and been a consultant for both Usborne and Partylite.

1. What's the big secret on the product? Please share...from the responses, most of us are not going to rush to sign up and steal your clients, lol. Perhaps someone here HAS heard of it and can give you specific information.

2. You mentioned working on your own schedule. Sorry, that's just not gonna happen. That's one of the biggest falsehoods of these things. If you have clients, you work on THEIR schedule. When are you contacting them? When THEY can answer the phone, or stand around and speak with you. It's probably in the evening....is that what you want to do in the evenings?

You will probably be invited, repeatedly to go to meetings, to learn about new products, and get your "rah-rah, let's all cheer" pep rally. Usually monthly if not more. Then there's usually conference calls to get more "rah-rah, cheer" etc. After all, the company wants you to be EXCITED about their product, so you can SELL It.

You will have alot of "office" work. Putting in orders, contacting customers, keeping your files updated, making copies, etc etc.

3. You mentioned parties are not necessary? HOW will you get new clients? sounds like you are going to have the same customer base and have hard time expanding beyond that. Quick dead-end and quick way for friends to start avoiding you. Parties, how ever annoying they are, are a great way to get new clients, because friends invite neighbors, extended family, etc.

4. Skin care line? Really? I mean, what makes it better than the MILLION other skin care lines that are on the market? Not trying to be harsh, but really, that's a hard sell, and you'd really need to know all about it. If you are going to say it's "all natural"....really, because if I was your client, I would want to see the ingredient list and then I would ask you about anything that I didn't recognize on that list. Are you prepared to be able to tell all of that and tell someone what makes your product better than everything else out there?

5. Product and inventory. How does the customer get their product? Does it ship to you and then you delivery? Gas $$. Does it ship right to them? Do you have to have inventory on hand?

6. Did your friend explain that you will have to purchase your catalogs, flyers, company paperwork? That adds up quickly. Extra catalogs sitting around? Oops, new season, new catalogs..gotta by those too! New products...gotta get those so you can show your customers...more $$

These things are NEVER as wonderful as they look, unless you are really a hard-core sell person. Can you literally bring up your product to every.single.person that you come across in your life, and repeatedly, even if they've told you no once? That is what it takes to be successful in this type of business.

2. You mentioned working on your own schedule. Sorry, that's just not gonna happen. That's one of the biggest falsehoods of these things. If you have clients, you work on THEIR schedule. When are you contacting them? When THEY can answer the phone, or stand around and speak with you. It's probably in the evening....is that what you want to do in the evenings?

:iagree: Oftentimes, it's mothers who say, "...and it allows me to be a stay-at-home-mom..." But that isn't really true. The best you can do is trade shifts with dh and be out all evening, or on the phone, shaking the money tree.

I think This kind of business only works if you have the personality that fits. You need to be confident about presenting the product. You need to be very outgoing so that you can set up parties with anyone and convince anyone they want a party.

I know someone who sent her ds to private university n Pampered Chef earnings. She has parties booked every weekend. She maintains a contact list that is unimaginable and sends regular emails to said list. She does have a great income , but she is working her butt off.

I could work my butt off, but I'd never be able to project a confident demeanor about every product in the catalogue. I also feel guilty about convincing anyone to spend money.

I don't think it matters what the product is as much as whether you have the personality that makes selling work.

Um, wouldn't that apply to any business? 50 workers, 5 supervisors, 2 v.p.'s, and a company president, for example.

No, not in the way MLM's/pyramids do it, no, not at all. Regular businesses don't force their employees to sign up other employees to sell also and get a cut of the new hire's income.

Perhaps you were simply being obtuse to be humorous, I don't know, but not the same thing at all.

I've sold Uppercase Living for four years, and before that sold Blessed Hope Long Distance. I would add the following to the conversation:

There have been a lot have negative comments about friends, and losing them. I very, very rarely talk to my IRL good friends about my business. You can't make a successful business out of your close friends. You have to count on doing it a different way, so do it that different way from the start if you can. At the same time, you can host your OWN show first -- invite your friends, sure, and invite lots of others, too, and be considerate. Share your enthusiasm, which you really need to have, and see where it goes. If your friends are interested, they'll let you know. If they're not, don't mention it again. In both my businesses, I did let my family and friends know what I was doing and then that's it. Some got involved, some didn't. No big deal ~ they're more important to me as family/friends and I didn't even really consider making them the backbone of my business.

I'm not in UL to make money, though, so keep that in mind. I've never made money at it -- I just love what I sell, and get enough orders annually to stay active with the company, so I keep my discount for when I want to buy some things. On Facebook, if the company will let you (ours didn't until this last year), you can start a page for your business. You can mention it very occasionally on your wall (with a link), not as a sales pitch but as information, then your friends can choose to join it or not. It's on my page that I tell people about sales, new products, etc., not on my wall. Any friends not interested don't "like" my page. Works great.

As for the long distance service that I sold, I did make some money at that -- while helping people SAVE money -- and am still getting checks for it today even though I stopped selling it about 8-9 years ago; they're not big, but they keep coming. The residual income is wonderful that way if that option is available to you!

My sister is very, very successful in her direct sales business. She's not pushy at all, and I don't think comes across that way to her friends. She, too, doesn't mention it unless I ask a question about it. She sells very expensive (by my standards, anyway) clothing through home shows. She puts a LOT of work into it, but she did what others have mentioned above -- she built a strong team, she trains and supports them well, and they are where her financial success grows (she helps THEIR financial success grow, too, she's not just in it for herself). She said from the beginning, to make money, she doesn't want to have to be out of the house more often than the 2 nights a week or so that she already will be for shows -- she wanted to keep to that 2 nights a week or so, so she knew it would be about building a team.

There certainly is some negative attitude out there toward direct sales. You asked and so you've heard a bit of that here. But there are some very successful people out there who aren't the stereotypical direct sales consultant. I don't identify with the characterization I've seen here, and I don't see it in my sister either.

Hope you find the answer that will work for you.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I've sold Uppercase Living for four years, and before that sold Blessed Hope Long Distance. I would add the following to the conversation:

There have been a lot have negative comments about friends, and losing them. I very, very rarely talk to my IRL good friends about my business. You can't make a successful business out of your close friends. You have to count on doing it a different way, so do it that different way from the start if you can. At the same time, you can host your OWN show first -- invite your friends, sure, and invite lots of others, too, and be considerate. Share your enthusiasm, which you really need to have, and see where it goes. If your friends are interested, they'll let you know. If they're not, don't mention it again. In both my businesses, I did let my family and friends know what I was doing and then that's it. Some got involved, some didn't. No big deal ~ they're more important to me as family/friends and I didn't even really consider making them the backbone of my business.

I'm not in UL to make money, though, so keep that in mind. I've never made money at it -- I just love what I sell, and get enough orders annually to stay active with the company, so I keep my discount for when I want to buy some things. On Facebook, if the company will let you (ours didn't until this last year), you can start a page for your business. You can mention it very occasionally on your wall (with a link), not as a sales pitch but as information, then your friends can choose to join it or not. It's on my page that I tell people about sales, new products, etc., not on my wall. Any friends not interested don't "like" my page. Works great.

As for the long distance service that I sold, I did make some money at that -- while helping people SAVE money -- and am still getting checks for it today even though I stopped selling it about 8-9 years ago; they're not big, but they keep coming. The residual income is wonderful that way if that option is available to you!

My sister is very, very successful in her direct sales business. She's not pushy at all, and I don't think comes across that way to her friends. She, too, doesn't mention it unless I ask a question about it. She sells very expensive (by my standards, anyway) clothing through home shows. She puts a LOT of work into it, but she did what others have mentioned above -- she built a strong team, she trains and supports them well, and they are where her financial success grows (she helps THEIR financial success grow, too, she's not just in it for herself). She said from the beginning, to make money, she doesn't want to have to be out of the house more often than the 2 nights a week or so that she already will be for shows -- she wanted to keep to that 2 nights a week or so, so she knew it would be about building a team.

There certainly is some negative attitude out there toward direct sales. You asked and so you've heard a bit of that here. But there are some very successful people out there who aren't the stereotypical direct sales consultant. I don't identify with the characterization I've seen here, and I don't see it in my sister either.

Hope you find the answer that will work for you.

I have a friend that sells 31...She made a director within one year. And she is not pushy either. We have been financially strapped for a long time and she new I couldn't buy anthing and I didn't feel it changed our relationship in anyway. She does post alot on fb but that is her business. I just ignore it.

IF I do it, I will not depend on my close friends to build my business.

It seems I've really peaked some interest on what the product is:D. I really wanted input on direct sells in general..not a critque of the actual product. So now that I have that I will share and will even provide a link to a website if your really curious.

I'm sure you've all heard of Proactive. Well, the two dr.'s that developed it have come out with a new line called Rodan + Fields. They decided to change their business model with this and do direct sells instead of informercials. Some of you may have heard of it but I have not. It's relatively new in the area I'm in. My acquaintance is the only one in this town. Go ahead and look and see what you think..would you consider buying this product? Don't worry I won't hunt you down:001_smile:

https://michelleshelton.myrandf.com/

I have seen it often that 90-99% of MLM sales people never make any actual money. Many people go way into debt "selling." I would run, not walk, away. People can and do get similar products at the store and from their doctors. I don't think it would be an easy income at all. Frankly I think MLM should pretty much be illegal.

I have a friend that sells 31...She made a director within one year. And she is not pushy either. We have been financially strapped for a long time and she new I couldn't buy anthing and I didn't feel it changed our relationship in anyway. She does post alot on fb but that is her business. I just ignore it.

It seems I've really peaked some interest on what the product is:D. I really wanted input on direct sells in general..not a critque of the actual product. So now that I have that I will share and will even provide a link to a website if your really curious.

I'm sure you've all heard of Proactive. Well, the two dr.'s that developed it have come out with a new line called Rodan + Fields. They decided to change their business model with this and do direct sells instead of informercials. Some of you may have heard of it but I have not. It's relatively new in the area I'm in. My acquaintance is the only one in this town. Go ahead and look and see what you think..would you consider buying this product? Don't worry I won't hunt you down:001_smile:

Honestly? Probably not. There are hundreds of anti-aging products out there, and those look pretty pricey to me! Do you have enough contacts who are well off enough to spend $50-150/month on skincare on a regular basis, and who aren't already involved with a different direct-sell skin-care line?

You should probably be forewarned that there are a LOT of unhappy Proactiv customers out there as well. It burned the heck out of my sensitive skin, and most people I've talked to about Proactiv either had similar experiences or only used it for a short time because they found it too expensive and the benefits to be considerably more modest than advertised.

Run, don't walk. RUN!

:iagree: I have now attended family reunions, birthday parties, camp outs, etc all the way to a funeral! with 'the newest catalog' coming out. yuck! yuck! yuck!

Sorry, would not, in a million years, spend that kind of $$ on skin care. You might want to take into consideration that if gas prices go up as they say they will, that kind of product would be one of the very first to leave the budget.

Edited by connib

I checked it out, and here's my first few thoughts:

1. I would possibly buy it, as price is not my #1 concern when it comes to skin care...especially as I have adult acne and am willing to pay for something that actually works.....I wouldn't buy it OFTEN....what I did buy would last me for a good looooong while, I would make it last me.

That being said, how's your skin? Lol, I ask, because, whenever somone is trying to sell me makeup, ie MaryKay, Avon, or skin care, ie Arbonne, etc, I look at the person selling it. Maybe that's just superficial me. But if the MK lady's makeup is just way overdone and un-stylish, I have a hard time trusting her for anything regarding makeup. So I would think the same would go for this skin care line.....I'd personally be checking you out to see how your skin looks, lol!

Have you actually even used the product? If I remember right, your friend sells it but I don't remember if you said you used it or not? If not....why would you even consider selling something that you have not ever used?

If you won't be mentioning it to friends and family ,and there's no parties involved, WHO is your clientele? Are you planning on approaching strangers and talking to them about skin care? How does one even start that conversation with a stranger?

I just think regardless of the MLM part, which is hard to begin with, selling a very pricey $$$ line of skin care...well you've got SOOO much competition. There's everything thing from other MLM doing the same, such as MK, Avon, Arbonne, the few I can think of, all the ones at the drugstore, all the ones at the high-end stores, all the ones at QVC/HSN. Lots of competition. The thing with other MLM, their products tend to be unique, at least when they first come out. Thinking Usborne Books, not too many other book lines that offer that format, or Scentsy...they were the first that I am aware of with their type of candles. Even Pampered Chef, had some unique kitchenware, ie the stones, when they first started. Mary Kay and Avon, of course, not the first in makeup, but the first that did what they did, going directly to the client, bringing to them, showing them how to use it, etc.....so what's unique about your product line? What makes it stand out from the others?

Well after much thought I have decided NOT to do it. Thanks for all your thoughts..good and not so good. Ultimately, I'm just not a good sales person and never will be. I've got other income avenues in the works that I can make money with, but when she called it got me distracted from our originals plans.

Thanks again ladies