Menu

Would you travel to Europe for a home ed conference?

Would you travel to Europe in November for a home ed conference?  

1. 1. Would you travel to Europe in November for a home ed conference?

• I would definitely go
    • I would definitely not go

Some of you might remember my request to write HSLDA...they and the board are being intransigent for reasons which are beyond our comprehension...

As we (in Europe) are thinking about this more, we wonder why it would be called a "Global Conference" as we hypothesize that not many people from other continents would attend.

How many home educators in Africa, South America, Asia, Australia would actually be there? Very hard to know...but with airfare at more than $1000, closer to $1400, it is hard to imagine many...

And then how many North Americans would even attend and pay hotel prices in Berlin?

My guess is that it would be North American home education businesses that would attend which turns it into a money making venture and not really one of 'aid' which is how they like to portray it.

Anyway, how many of you would go to Europe next November 1-4 for a home education conference AND have the money to actually go?

Thank you so much for voting!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

If I had the money and time to spare (which I don't) I'd go to Europe for just about any reason. I'm more apt to go to England and see a live taping of Top Gear or Milan for Fashion Week, but if a home ed conference in Germany was the only option, I'd go to that.

Ooops, I see that I should have included in that, that you have the money to go.

I'm trying to get a real feel for how many people would actually go.

Did you vote yes or no?

Joan

If you mean traveling for a regular homeschool conference, then no I would not go that far. Then again, I don't believe even going out of state is important to find a homeschooling conference.

Would this be something unique from the various conferences held around the U.S.? In other words, why would U.S. homeschoolers be interested in attending a conference in another country?

Well I could not attend due to finances. If I had finances would I attend? No. I am an American homeschooler. Even if I didn't find it absurd to hold a homeschooling conference in a country where it is currently ILLEGAL to homeschool, I would think the conference would deal with homeschooling pertinent to the country where it was being held.

But remember, the US holds the WORLD series for baseball and only two countries are eligible to win it. :glare:

Is HSLDA listening at all to those who disagree with their position?

Edited by elegantlion
sentences pre-coffee

If you mean traveling for a regular homeschool conference, then no I would not go that far. Then again, I don't believe even going out of state is important to find a homeschooling conference.

Would this be something unique from the various conferences held around the U.S.? In other words, why would U.S. homeschoolers be interested in attending a conference in another country?

That's just it, I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on airfare (actually I just looked at the airfare for then and it is more than $1000 - but you might be able to find it a bit cheaper) and more hundreds of dollars on hotels that I could spend on books!

If you didn't read these background threads (there are some different questions and answers on the two), they might help..

High School Board

General Board

Joan

Honestly, even if I could afford to go to Europe, a homeschooling conference is just about the last place I'd want to spend my time. :tongue_smilie:

I think it's very safe to assume that the majority of people who would attend a "world conference" in any country in Europe would be from that country and a small percentage would be from nearby countries. With homeschooling being illegal in Germany, I would think few who live in Germany would risk attending. I don't know what HSLDA's thoughts are on this, if it's just publicity, or if it's to help bring attention to the plight of the German homeschoolers. It may not be the best approach - I don't really know. I really feel for those who have to school their children illegally and live in fear. I hope that some good for the homeschooling community comes out of all of this.

That's just it, I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on airfare (actually I just looked at the airfare for then and it is more than $1000 - but you might be able to find it a bit cheaper) and more hundreds of dollars on hotels that I could spend on books!

If you didn't read these background threads (there are some different questions and answers on the two), they might help..

High School Board

General Board

Joan

Well, that cements it even further. That isn't going to be any type of typical homeschooling conference. It's political in nature and could attract hostile people. There is no way on this earth I would place myself in that kind of situation.

I would drive from the soggy PNW to sunny CA for a homeschool convention. But I would not spend my precious time and money in a foreign country stuck in a building (unless it was some cool museum ;)) when there was a whole new world for me to explore.

Thank you for voting so far!

I've been thinking about the translations that would be needed for a Global Conference....Having someone stand up and translate takes a lot away from a presentation...But simultaneous translation is costly....

Anyway, bedtime for me,

Joan

I have the money, but I would not attend. I just can't see the benefit being worth the expense.

Even if I said it was homeschooling money I was spending, I think the money would be better spent on curriculum or classes for my ds. What necessary information could I possibly learn at a conference in Europe that I can't learn at a conference in my home state in the US?

In this particular case, I'm not interested in getting involved in international homeschooling politics, so that would be another reason why I wouldn't attend the conference.

Heck no. If I had that much money to spend on a vacation, I'd go to Paris. Or Ireland. Or maybe Norway. But to a hs convention? Er, no.

:iagree:

Never been to a real homeschooling convention, not a big one anyway.

If I'm in Europe, which is costly enough as it is, why spend my time sitting in a conference? I want to go sightseeing, not sitting down somewhere. And this is coming from me, a very, very isolated homeschooler ...

It makes NO sense whatsoever!!!

If you read the letter I just posted, it might help a bit, but in a way we are still confounded ourselves, as it has so little European involvement on the board...it is like it is being imposed....

(Aside from the fact that November would be the least desirable time to be in Europe, so I would not even want to combine it with a trip home. )

Exactly true regentrude! Even if someone would go in combination with a trip to Europe, November is dark, rainy and miserable - who wants to go sightseeing at that time of year.... I can't really imagine why they even chose November...

Joan

I love Germany, Normally I would travel there in a heartbeat for dozens of reasons... Even in November. That is, if I had the money, which I don't.:tongue_smilie:

But, I won't even spend $15 to go to our local conference. I'd rather spend the money on books or classes.

Ditto what was already posted about not wanting to go to a politically charged conference in a foreign country. It. Makes. No. Sense.

Ooops, I see that I should have included in that, that you have the money to go.

I'm trying to get a real feel for how many people would actually go.

Did you vote yes or no?

Joan

I voted yes, because as I said technically if money and time weren't factors I'd travel to Europe for just about any reason.

In reality though, I would not go specifically for this particular (HSLDA's) conference. I think the idea behind it is lame. Now if I were in Germany for Octoberfest anyway and the conference was going on then I might stop in and listen for a few minutes to see what they are saying.

I voted yes,

Thanks for answering!

I've been wondering who the "yeses" are....Now I know there is actually one less....

If I would have been planning, I would have posted the letter first, then the poll. But as I get ideas, I post...

I wish I could get in contact with the businesses that I would imagine have to support this conference to make it viable...to help them realize that many home educators in Europe are not delighted about it...

Also, when I look at all the American materials that I use which could actually translate over to other national education systems, the one that is best subject wise is Susan's! I mean her ideas and her history books and language books. Then there are some other more general ones which I'm sure other people would like, but I don't know what publishers they will get to go over there......So much other stuff is not that helpful in Europe with the different languages...and educational goals...

Joan

November is not a good time to travel anywhere except to visit family for Thanksgiving. It is hard enough to get school done here at that time of the year. Strange timing. I do things in other people's countries in order to try to raise their governments awareness. If one endangers the people one is trying to help by doing this, then it defeats the purpose. One tries to encourage the local people to speak to their government themselves and agitate for change. One does not endanger them against their wishes. That is irresponsible and defeats the purpose. That is thinking of one's own glory and not thinking of what is best for the people one is trying to help. That should be obvious. Sigh.

Nan

I'm not interested in conferences that are mostly about religion though.

Actually, I don't think this one is about religion. But it is not really meant for the general public in terms of speakers either (I wonder if the people who are saying 'yes' realize that as I haven't discussed it really). Originally they said for home ed leaders and politicians...But really it is to convince policians and Germans who are against home ed. The thing is, it is hard to imagine that those people are actually going to attend...as my German friend says in her letter.

Joan

November is not a good time to travel anywhere except to visit family for Thanksgiving. It is hard enough to get school done here at that time of the year. Strange timing.

I'm wondering if the people voting 'yes' are actually homeschooling business people...as it is hard to imagine a real home educating family picking up and going off in November...

Joan

The idea of a "global" conference about homeschooling is pretty neat, but not very practical. The only way I could see something like that happening is if the conference traveled. And at the various locations maybe offer video presentations of lectures that happened in other places/countries.

This is a great idea! Maybe in the future if the organization can happen in a more democratic way...

ETD - due to more personal info

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Exactly true regentrude! Even if someone would go in combination with a trip to Europe, November is dark, rainy and miserable - who wants to go sightseeing at that time of year.... I can't really imagine why they even chose November...

maybe because IF anybody was traveling, it would be by far the cheapest time of the year to go. No wonder - it is miserable and nobody who does not have to goes in November.

Which also means that conference venues and such would be inexpensive, since tourism is at its lowest point (before picking up in December for the Christmas season)

maybe because IF anybody was traveling, it would be by far the cheapest time of the year to go. No wonder - it is miserable and nobody who does not have to goes in November.

Which also means that conference venues and such would be inexpensive, since tourism is at its lowest point (before picking up in December for the Christmas season)

Probably true....

Nope, not for a HS conference, not even if I had the $$. Partly because I'm nearing the end of my HS career so conferences hold little appeal for me, and partly because that's the time of year we've usually settled into the schooling groove. Not the greatest time of the year to interrupt school for an international excursion IMHO.

But Germany? Great destination! I do hope to get there someday and visit distant relatives.