Menu

Tell me why I want an iPad

So, yesterday my husband's ancient computer finally bit the dust, and we're in the market for a new Mac. His thought is that as long as we're spending a small fortune at the Apple store anyway ;) we might as well go for broke (semi-literally, lol) and get an iPad as well.

He says we could make good use of it for school, but...I don't know. We already have a MacBook and two iPhones, and will be purchasing a new desktop.

Would you recommend an iPad for homeschooling purposes? If you have one, what do you use it for? Was it worth the money?

I'm off to take the kids to swimming but will check back later for the verdict of the Hive. :tongue_smilie: Help me out! I'm really tempted but don't want to spend the money if it's not worth it. Thanks!

Edited by WarriorMama
Autocorrect hates me

You want one. Badly. You can barely wait until next month, but you can!

I bought one at the end of Jan. and it has revolutionized our family organization. Then again, we don't do smartphones, so it may not be as earth shattering for you :D.

For what it's worth, I will be buying one for each of the kids and plan to use the new Well Planned Day program (or something similar).

FYI the rumor-mill (which seems believable) suggests an iPad 3 will be announced March 7.

Bill

Nooo!! I just bought dh an iPad 2. Maybe I should return it in about 30 days?

On second thought, maybe he just needs to get an iPad 3 for my birthday (in April). ;)

I would hold out for the iPad3, but I love our original! Now that the kindle app can read pdfs, I use the SOTW AG, OPGTR, and WWE without having to haul out the thick paperbacks. Today, my ds read the map instructions from the AG while I worked with dd on her reading lesson. When we drove to Florida for vacation, I read aloud from the many free books available and then read my own library books while the kids played on the beach. My kids practice their math facts, learn Spanish vocabulary, and play games. My husband and I read the newspaper and magazines. I'm not one to jump on the Apple bandwagon, but I highly recommend the iPad.

I bought one at the end of Jan. and it has revolutionized our family organization. Then again, we don't do smartphones, so it may not be as earth shattering for you :D.

For what it's worth, I will be buying one for each of the kids and plan to use the new Well Planned Day program (or something similar).

Interesting! What sort of things do you use it for?

I'll admit that my iPhone (a purchase I really resisted) has been life-changingly helpful. Maybe I should quit resisting. ;)

I would hold out for the iPad3, but I love our original! Now that the kindle app can read pdfs, I use the SOTW AG, OPGTR, and WWE without having to haul out the thick paperbacks. Today, my ds read the map instructions from the AG while I worked with dd on her reading lesson. When we drove to Florida for vacation, I read aloud from the many free books available and then read my own library books while the kids played on the beach. My kids practice their math facts, learn Spanish vocabulary, and play games. My husband and I read the newspaper and magazines. I'm not one to jump on the Apple bandwagon, but I highly recommend the iPad.

Playing devil's advocate: I can do all those things on my iPhone, albeit with a much smaller screen...

OK...but these reasons wouldn't convince my DH to buy it. Give me some more convincing evidence please.

Playing devil's advocate: I can do all those things on my iPhone, albeit with a much smaller screen...

The screen size really does make a difference. I have used an ipod before (similar size to iphone) and it is torturous to write on it. The ipod, especially using a bluetooth keyboard, is actually easier to use than my apple laptop. It makes it possible for me to do real planning and writing. I recently saw a groovy stand that elevates the ipad so that it mimics a desktop. Put the wireless keyboard with that and you have a device that does 95% of what my desktop will do, plus portability. Amazing!

(Sorry I am writing randomly- I am doing taxes at the same time, ugh!)

Nooo!! I just bought dh an iPad 2. Maybe I should return it in about 30 days?

On second thought, maybe he just needs to get an iPad 3 for my birthday (in April). ;)

I did too. I would wait until the 3 actually come out... rumors are flying that they are keeping the 2 as well, as the 3 might come in at a higher price point due to the elevated features. If this is true, I plan to let dh keep the 2, as he uses it for a job that does not nec. need the features of a 3. Then I get a 3 for myself :D. We'll see! I can't wait to see what happens when they announce the 3.

OK...but these reasons wouldn't convince my DH to buy it. Give me some more convincing evidence please.

Shrug. I have nothing else. Personally, I think the screen size makes a difference. Other smart phones rival the iPhone, but the iPad is unique among tablets.

You want it for so many reasons! :D We LOVE ours. Just got it for Christmas and use it all the time. I talk about how some in this blog post.

On any given day:

• DD uses it to do her spelling (Simplex Spelling and Word Wizard - which allows me to enter my own spelling list).
  • We use Sound Literacy as a replacement for phonics letter tiles with our reading program.
  • One uses it for math practice apps while I work with the other in math and then they trade off.
  • They both use it to practice letter formation with Letter School. It is perfect for the almost 5yo and sometimes the 6yo needs help remembering to start at the top and such.
  • DS 5 can work in his phonics workbook without me having to print out all those pages. We just use Notability to mark up the PDF with his finger.
  • They play a few rousing rounds of Stack the States. They can now name them all and are almost there on identifying them on the map and getting the capitals down.
  • We do picture study. I made a favorites list of our current artist in Art Authority so we can study the pictures each week. Our current picture is also the wallpaper on the iPad. The artist is Vincent Van Gogh, so I downloaded two different Van Gogh picture book apps for us to enjoy.
  • We watch an episode of Salsa and then play on our Babble Spanish app.
  • DD will use the free Mini Adventures Music app to watch videos of instruments from around the world. One night she was fascinated by the gu zheng from China, and recently she told someone that the piccolo was her favorite instrument.
  • We use the iBird Backyard app to look up the birds we read in Burgess Bird Book. We can see photos, read info, and listen to their songs.
  • They practice learning our cell phone numbers and calling 911 in DialSafe Pro. When they get it right, Dad answers in his own voice (we recorded it). The 911 operator asks them for their address and tells them he will stay on the line until help arrives -- just like for real.
  • They make the parrot in the free ZooWho app say potty words like "poopy." It's not educational, but it sure does make the 2yo laugh his head off.

And I could go on and on and on.

I also just downloaded an app that will walk them through using the iPad camera to make their own personalized ABC book/movie. Can't wait to try it out with them tomorrow.

DH is being deployed this year so will have to surrender his work iPad before he goes. We have been talking about picking up another for him to use while he is gone. It will be interesting to see what features the iPad 3 has.

HTH,

Pam

My dh had to convince ME to get an ipad . . . and now I want more!

I'm hesitant about the worth we put in the newest technology, and I certainly haven't seen research about how using an ipad, a computer, etc. significantly increases learning. Nothing will take the place of a person . .

I will say that what I see is that there are a lot of materials that can be used for the ipad (and yes, the bigger screen makes all the difference IMHO). I believe a pp gave some examples for curriculum. That is no small thing if you are homeschooling in a small space. I have several teacher guides on my ipad and they are very useful.

It can go with you (and all the materials, too) quite easily. Music can be stored on it and played with relative ease in the car.

There are lots of ipad applications that are tremendously helpful and they are free! Or very cheap. :)

I would encourage you to look closer at getting an ipad . . . and I'll add that we are waiting until March to buy the ipad 2 (since we believe the rumors that the ipad 3 will be out). Should save some money!

HTH

FYI the rumor-mill (which seems believable) suggests an iPad 3 will be announced March 7.

Bill

Yep, I'm down right giddy waiting for the release date! I am going to trade my iPad 2 in on a 3! I can set my kids up on games while I do other things with the other kids, and they can go to another room with it (they are not allowed to carry the laptop due to size and weight), when we are out I can look stuff up on it easily, and the iPad 3 is supposed to have an 8 megapixel camera. Too much excitement over here!!! You want one, and once you have it you will love it.

Here's what we do with ours:

DS practices his times tables

Uses a spelling app

Plays Stack the States and Stack the countries

We use the iBird app to look up birds

We have an app that teaches DS how to read music

One that teaches major composers

An art history app

We use Dropbox and notability so we can access PDFs and unit studies

We have a medieval app

Timeline app

And the are a few more I'm not remembering at the moment

I have a lesson planner on the iPad and a couple of books I'm reading. We've had the iPad since the beginning of January and love it. Plus now that I'm laid up with a bum ankle, it is coming in real handy! I should also note that we are not privy to having the latest tech gadgets. We share a cell phone that only functions as a phone.

What apps do you use for learning to read music and lesson planning. Those are two things I've been searching out.

Shrug. I have nothing else. Personally, I think the screen size makes a difference. Other smart phones rival the iPhone, but the iPad is unique among tablets.

I have an iphone and love it! LOVE it! I want an ipad and I can only imagine it is even better than the iphone because the screen is bigger.

i'm just kind of "meh." We have iphones, airbooks, a kindle, and an iPad. For almost everything I prefer to use the laptop. The kids like it, sure, but after 15 minutes of "schoolwork" it usually turns into Angry Birds.

What I like on the ipad:

the doodle app where my kids can practice handwriting

it lays out the newspapers I read in a pleasing format.

So, yes, it's a cool toy but in my opinion NOT worth the $700 I paid for it. I would feel very differently if I didn't have an iphone probably.

You want it for so many reasons! :D We LOVE ours. Just got it for Christmas and use it all the time. I talk about how some in this blog post.

On any given day:

• DD uses it to do her spelling (Simplex Spelling and Word Wizard - which allows me to enter my own spelling list).
  • We use Sound Literacy as a replacement for phonics letter tiles with our reading program.
  • One uses it for math practice apps while I work with the other in math and then they trade off.
  • They both use it to practice letter formation with Letter School. It is perfect for the almost 5yo and sometimes the 6yo needs help remembering to start at the top and such.
  • DS 5 can work in his phonics workbook without me having to print out all those pages. We just use Notability to mark up the PDF with his finger.
  • They play a few rousing rounds of Stack the States. They can now name them all and are almost there on identifying them on the map and getting the capitals down.
  • We do picture study. I made a favorites list of our current artist in Art Authority so we can study the pictures each week. Our current picture is also the wallpaper on the iPad. The artist is Vincent Van Gogh, so I downloaded two different Van Gogh picture book apps for us to enjoy.
  • DD will use the free Mini Adventures Music app to watch videos of instruments from around the world. One night she was fascinated by the gu zheng from China, and recently she told someone that the piccolo was her favorite instrument.
  • We use the iBird Backyard app to look up the birds we read in Burgess Bird Book. We can see photos, read info, and listen to their songs.
  • They practice learning our cell phone numbers and calling 911 in DialSafe Pro. When they get it right, Dad answers in his own voice (we recorded it). The 911 operator asks them for their address and tells them he will stay on the line until help arrives -- just like for real.
  • They make the parrot in the free ZooWho app say potty words like "poopy." It's not educational, but it sure does make the 2yo laugh his head off.

I also just downloaded an app that will walk them through using the iPad camera to make their own personalized ABC book/movie. Can't wait to try it out with them tomorrow.

DH is being deployed this year so will have to surrender his work iPad before he goes. We have been talking about picking up another for him to use while he is gone. It will be interesting to see what features the iPad 3 has.

HTH,

Pam

Thanks for putting in the names of all your apps. We don't have an iPad yet, but this is seriously tempting!

:iagree:We're waiting on the release of the Ipad3. DH wants to see the cost of the 3. I'm hoping that a SLIGHT price cut will happen for the 2's, if only by $50 so I can outfit our household each with one. I'll even be ok with getting dh one, myself one, and one for the kids to share UNTIL we can gather the funds to outfit everyone with their own.:001_smile:

My 12 year old son has one and it is never used for school. If he has to type something he uses a regular laptop. I have yet to find any educational apps that would appeal to a middle schooler.

Even my 15 year old has lost interest in the iPad.

Its nice in the car to watch tv/movies or play games.

I definitely would not consider it a replacement for a laptop.

On any given day:

HTH,

Pam

You just made me spend $.99 on the bird app.

I got my voucher for an iPad 2 yesterday from my credit card company. I should be able to pick it up from Best Buy today or tomorrow (would LOVE to get it today, but we have a co-op, piano lessons, and cheer practice to get to-and Best Buy's in the wrong direction). The case I ordered from Amazon with my books should be here any day now, too :).

I'm excited!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeturn viewpost.gif

Could you tell me the name of that app? I'd love to check it out.

It is ABC Spy HD. The iPhone version was free the other day. The iPad version was $1.99. They loved it and have already made a movie.