Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 7

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite, quite hopeless this week. I read...two brain-candy mysteries!

I spent the week worrying about my daughter's eyes instead.

When you're worrying especially, or any other time that you deem fit, you should not apologize for reading brain candy. :grouphug: Hope that your daughter's eyes are okay.

My list so far:

1. Confessions of a Prairie B***h

2. Unbroken

3. Dark Tide

4. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

5. Devil in the White City

6. NurtureShock

I've enjoyed every book so far. I'd love to know if In the Garden of the Beasts by Erik Larsen is as good as Devil in the White City.

We seem to have quite similar tastes :). I've added some of the ones I haven't yet read to my wish list.

So can everyone share their TOP THREE reads so far this year?

'Half of a Yellow Sun,' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (A flavoursome account of the Nigerian/Biafran war) and

'Tarka the Otter,' by Henry Williamson (wonderfully rich language, though I don't know what most of the terrain words are.)

With an honourable mention to 'Marmaduke the Possum' by Pixie O'Harris. Dad read this to us as kids. :)

I've had a rather, uh, diverting week so have been trundling along with nothing more strenuous than more Margery Allingham mysteries.

Rosie

Because I don't have anything else to read :glare:, I started book I got yesterday from my brother: Evening in the Palace of Reason by James Gaines and if the first 8 pages are worth anything, it's the best book I'll have read so far this year. The writing style is excellent, intriguing, make-you-want-to-read more ... and, frankly, I'm wondering why I'm surfing and not reading right now.

From the book description:

Johann Sebastian Bach created what may be the most celestial and profound body of music in history; Frederick the Great built the colossus we now know as Germany, and along with it a template for modern warfare. Their fleeting encounter in 1757 signals a unique moment in history where belief collided with the cold certainty of reason. Set at the tipping point between the ancient and modern world, Evening in the Palace of Reason captures the tumult of the eighteenth century, the legacy of the Reformation, and the birth of the Enlightenment in this extraordinary tale of two men.

I read Decision Points by George Bush. It was a busy week and it wasn't as quick a read as my usual paranormal genre.

Re-reading Breaking Dawn and looking about for my next read.

Might be an audiobook week or a catching up on Grimm week due a a gorgeous new knitting pattern for a cabled cowl and a birthday gift card for yarn!!

I finished The Happiness Project last night. I grew to like it a little bit more than I had at first, but it was definitely not one of my favorites. I think maybe the author was just too earnest and too dull--maybe too much like me!

I started Little Dorrit by Dickens. I had started listening to the audio book, but couldn't focus, so I'm going to read it instead. Does anyone else find the % bar on the Kindle terribly distracting? Come on, 3%!

I didn't post the last couple of weeks but I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan,in the middle of The Shallows and Ahab's Wife. Both of these last two were from your suggestions on these threads. Thanks. I am a bit slow so I am not sure I will finish the challenge with Moby Dick. I may have to put that one on the list for a summer read. I still love reading about what you all are reading too. Fun!

I've enjoyed every book so far. I'd love to know if In the Garden of the Beasts by Erik Larsen is as good as Devil in the White City.

It's a really different story. I liked the history and felt it was very well researched and written. Martha Dodd, the main character, was a little difficult to like. I enjoyed the book.

We're roadtripping this week and I spent most of today reading Moby Dick and Oliver Twist in the car. I just love my kindle. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one. I need to finish something because Evening in the Palace of Reason sounds so good!!! And I need to get reading one fo the books Stacia sent me. Should I do the crazy old lady or the history of food?? :D

I just finished #5 Dark Tide:The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo. Wow, what a story. The author added a lot of detail regarding the politics and culture of that time in America and around the world. He did a good job of putting a face to the names of those who were affected by this tragic event. I thought it was very interesting.

17) Emotionally Healthy Spiritually by Peter Scazarro

I wish I had more time to read this book because it was full of wisdom.

A groundbreaking work on the integration of emotional health and contemplative spirituality that current models of discipleship fail to address.

Many sincere followers of Christ-followers who are really passionate for God, join a church, participate weekly in a small group, serve with their gifts, and are followers who are considered "mature"-remain stuck at a level of spiritual immaturity. And even more so when faced with interpersonal conflicts and crises.

16) Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider

15) The Survivor by Beth Wiseman (yet another amish book)

14) The Art of Mingling by Jeanne Martinet audio book

Ths was a fun book. I learned that people in my location do not know how to mingle, they usually find their friends and stop without further circulation. She gave tips on how to mingle, fun lines and how to gracefully leave a bore.

13) Growing up Amish by Beth Wiseman

12) Ella's Wish By Jerry Eicher

11) Growing up Amish by Ira Wagler

10) The Healing by Wanda Brunstetter

9) Christmas in Sugarcreek by Shelley Shepard Gray

8) The Dark Tide

7) Little Men, Louisa May Alcott on Audio

6) Winter of the Red Snow.

5) The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory.

4) A Wedding Quilt for Ella by Jerry Eicher

3) Longing by Karen Kingsbury.

2) Little Women by Alcott

1) Midummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, a young boy is separated from is family to train with other children as a commander in the future Bugger Wars. Read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, some good baking tips and some standard recipes based on Chung's specialities

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, a young woman with strong eco-ideals inherits a woebegone farm near Victoria, forms a quirky family. Told in turns by an alcoholic blogger, an elderly banjo player, a 10 year old chicken fancier and the main character. Somewhat funny. Good for a light read.

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

In progress:

Fire Upon the Deep (Vinge)

Twelve Owls (Erickson)

Flora Mirabilis (Howell)

Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers (Carmichael)

Gudrun's Kitchen (Sandvold)

My favorite 3 this year:

The Children's Book (AS Byatt)~historical Victoriana, Arts & Crafts movement, family saga

Case Histories (Kate Atkinson)~ mystery crossing mystery, good characters

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down (Anne Fadiman)~non-fiction, the juncture between culture and medicine[/i]

I'm really enjoying Flora Mirabilis right now too. If anyone enjoys gardening and history its fabulous and the pictures are so gorgeous. It made me do a search on floralegia, just to find some to put up on my walls.

I finished reading Momma Zen (lovely; probably best suited for new moms, though, as I've already achieved much of the zen it describes, by virtue of my kids' ages :lol:) last night and started Why Read Moby-Dick?, which I'm finding thoroughly enjoyable and will most likely result in me tackling Moby-Dick next week. :001_huh: Love how this challenge is pulling me out of my comfort zone!

Based on the recommendations in these threads, I joined the library queue for The Housekeeper and the Professor and I just received notice that it's waiting for me, so with hope, I will finish that this week.

I'm reading Jonathon Strange and Mr Norell, but I took a break from it today to read a book that just came available from my library (on the kindle format), It was Margaret Atwood's, The Handmaid's Tale

It was a very quick read. I'm sick and spent the day in my chair reading while the kids brought their school work to me.:001_smile:

I enjoyed the book. If you like dystopian novels, it's a good read.

I finished reading Momma Zen (lovely; probably best suited for new moms, though, as I've already achieved much of the zen it describes, by virtue of my kids' ages :lol:) last night and started Why Read Moby-Dick?, which I'm finding thoroughly enjoyable and will most likely result in me tackling Moby-Dick next week. :001_huh: Love how this challenge is pulling me out of my comfort zone!

Based on the recommendations in these threads, I joined the library queue for The Housekeeper and the Professor and I just received notice that it's waiting for me, so with hope, I will finish that this week.

I just picked up The Housekeeper and the Professor from the library and have already read almost 1/2 of it. What a sweet, wonderful book! Thank you to all that recommended it!

Faithe

Moby Dick is one of the Great books mentioned in SWB's Well Educated Mind and 1001 books to Read Before You Die. Check out the 1001 books list and see how many you've read. Discovered I've read 3% so far.

Looks like I've read 6.9% (69 of the books). I also abandoned reading 7 of the 1000 so far. Noticed quite a few authors on there where I've read others works by the author, but not the work listed. Shouldn't that count for partial credit? ;) :tongue_smilie: :lol:

I finished 'State of Wonder' by Ann Patchett. I am still thinking about it. I think it is even better than 'Bel Canto' and I really liked that one. 'State of Wonder' started out good then began to drag in the middle but it picked up in a big way and ended in a bang. I don't think the book was realistic but I always wonder; do fiction books have to be realistic and plausible? They're fiction so doesn't that mean that realism can be suspended for the sake of the story?

I have now moved on to "I am Half-Sick of Shadows' by Alan Bradley. I have been waiting for Flavia for a very long time. :D

I finished 'State of Wonder' by Ann Patchett. I am still thinking about it. I think it is even better than 'Bel Canto' and I really liked that one. 'State of Wonder' started out good then began to drag in the middle but it picked up in a big way and ended in a bang. I don't think the book was realistic but I always wonder; do fiction books have to be realistic and plausible? They're fiction so doesn't that mean that realism can be suspended for the sake of the story?

I have now moved on to "I am Half-Sick of Shadows' by Alan Bradley. I have been waiting for Flavia for a very long time. :D

Glad to read your review of Patchett's book, Julia.

And, to answer your (probably rhetorical) question -- NO, fiction books do not have to be realistic & plausible. I love (love, love, love) surreal books. Complete suspension of reality required. :D

I'm edging up closer on the library waitlist for Flavia too.... Less than 10 people in front of me at this point! :lol:

I finished #12 Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman- Robert K Massie. It really opened my eyes to how much I don't know about Russian history. I have some gaps in my education to fill in there!

This week I am reading Just My Type: A Book About Fonts- Simon Garfield and Captains Courageous- Rudyard Kipling.

I nearly forgot to post my reading for last week.

15. The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lillian Jackson Braun

16. 'G' is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton

17. The Cat Who Sniffed Glue by Lillian Jackson Braun

I've been in a huge Cat Who mood. Due to stress, I really enjoy reading a book quickly. I need that happy ending satisfaction. I tried picking up Frankenstein and just couldn't get into it. I read it in college and I remember really enjoying it. I guess I'm not in the mood for it right now. Instead, I started reading Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I haven't read this in about 15 years. It's a big book and it's taking me days and days to read. I'm not even sure I'll have a post in the Week 8 thread because I'll still be reading this big book.

I finished The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby & would give it 3.5 stars overall. I'll bump it up to four stars for the meticulously-researched historical details in this lovely novel. The book moved at a languid, meditative pace (completely in keeping w/ the ideas of nuns & monastic orders). Each part was like a little piece of colored glass -- beautiful, intricate details (of life in a convent, of life in an Italian town in the mid-1800s, of life in Italy as a country during times of turmoil), all unfolding to give a kaleidoscopic view of a small window in history. I think the setting (more than the characterization) was the star of the story. Recommended for lovers of historical fiction.

Of Patchett's books, I really liked Bel Canto & really didn't like The Patron Saint of Liars.

I liked Bel Canto, but have never read the other. What was it that made the difference for you?

I haven't subbed to the thread.

I checked the 1001 list and I've read 3.33%. :001_smile:

I missed that link to the 1001 list; do you know what it was called? I can google it if there is a name.

I'm reading Fall of Giants. It's long enough that it ought to count for two books;), but of course I'll count it as one. I'm still working on Winning with People because I want to read only one chapter at a time. When they are done that will make only 7 books as I've started & dropped so many this year. I find it hard to believe I'm reading a family saga book like Fall of Giants, but I do like some of the characters, their storylines & the historical accuracy, even though I'm learning more about the start of WWI than I really care to know (some homeschooling mother I am, but I just don't get into the WW's much.)

I liked Bel Canto, but have never read the other. What was it that made the difference for you?

I think the difference was the story & the characters. I liked them in Bel Canto; I didn't in the other book.

I missed that link to the 1001 list; do you know what it was called? I can google it if there is a name.

The link is in the first post of this week's thread. :001_smile:

I think the difference was the story & the characters. I liked them in Bel Canto; I didn't in the other book.

Thanks. I'm so bad because I've been behind on getting to the forum (it's been 5 days) that I didn't read all of the posts in the book a week, just ones from people I know or if I spot a book I know. Once this weekly thread gets down to normal and/or I have more time here, I'll go back to reading them all.

Okay, on quick count, I've read about 5 percent (51), but I've probably read more than that as I sometimes forget what I've read (there's one on there I reread in the past couple of years & realized partway through I'd already read it, and I can think of one not on there I did the same thing with.) Part of this is due to the fact that my parents had so many literary novels lying around.

I finished #8 Mad Dash by Patricia Gaffney. I liked it. The main character, Dash, leaves her husband after a minor falling out, but to her it was more like the straw that broke the camel's back. The story alternates between her perspective and the husband's. Both characters are a bit quirky but I found them endearing.

Next, I'm starting Gone by Mo Hayder.

I liked Bel Canto, but have never read the other.

Me too. The only I've read (and really loved) was Bel Canto.

I'm reading Fall of Giants.

I'm learning more about the start of WWI than I really care to know (some homeschooling mother I am, but I just don't get into the WW's much.)

I loved Fall of Giants, but sometimes the WW1 stuff really bored me and I skimmed through those parts. He went into far more detail than I could ever be bothered about. :glare: :lol:

I just finished Phantastes by George MacDonald. It was an ILL so I had to finish it quickly and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The writing is wonderful .... almost magical, but the story left me unsettled .... The main character travels through the narrative acting in ways that he's advised not to (over and over again! :confused:) and then at the end, he finally learns a valuable lesson. C.S. Lewis adored this book, so I feel I must be missing something. I'll perhaps need to purchase it and give it a more analytical reading in the future......

Thanks. I'm so bad because I've been behind on getting to the forum (it's been 5 days) that I didn't read all of the posts in the book a week, just ones from people I know or if I spot a book I know. Once this weekly thread gets down to normal and/or I have more time here, I'll go back to reading them all.

I feel the same way. In my case it's because I have so many books on the go that I'm never finished anything when the new week is posted. I'm giving all the posts a skimming read but I'd like to be able to go more in depth ..... Oh well, when the end of March rolls around I should be finished most of what I'm reading and be able to get back on top of things ..... :001_smile:

Have just started The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (after being on the library waitlist for a long while...).

I know the reviews on this thread have been about 50-50 on it. Just saw an interesting comment (imo), saying the book is fab for structure junkies, not so fab as far as characterization. Food for thought as I enter the world of the night circus....

Still on my historical romance kick here --

Judith Ivory's The Proposition -- a twist on the Pygmalion tale as a female linguist works to transform a rat catcher into a gentleman. Fun read.

Angel Rogue by Mary Jo Putney -- the hero of this book had played a big role in a previous work by this author, so I was curious to read his own story. I enjoyed it.

The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance -- a compilation of 23 short stories. Overall, I felt ho hum about this book. I think it must be a challenge for an author to have the reader get to know and care about two characters as well as develop a happy ever after for them in twenty or so pages. (I also found the cover art to be singularly uninspiring!)

Regards,

Kareni

I just realized I never posted the books I finished, I finished the last 2 books from the Morganville vampires series

13. Ghost Town

14. Bite Club

I have started 77 Shadow street which should be done by Saturday and was making great progress with listening to Moby Dick while I painted the boysroom this weekend until my earbuds fell out into the can of paint. I bought some new ones todayso now I can carry on with it finally.