Menu

Do you make your child finish a book they don't like?

thundersweet

I am not talking about books they read on their own. I am referring to books you assign them to read. Like historical fiction that you may assign to go along with your history program or books in your literature program.

I bought most of the books in Veretas literature program for 5th grade. She chose to start with Swiss Family Robinson. Now she is complaining she doesn't like it and wants to move on to something else. She is on chapter 7. I am just having her read 1 chapter a day since they are rather long chapters. The thing is, I think she doesn't like it because the chapters are long. She always checks to see how long the chapters are. She was telling my mom about not liking the book

and that I was making her read it anyway. Of course mom says I am killing her love of reading.

On one hand, I agree with her. But on the other hand, didn't we all read books in school that were required? This child has a habit of not finishing books that she starts in her own personal reading. Ahh, I just don't know. What do you do in your homeschool?

Sandy

If it's assigned reading, I make him finish. It's part of his school schedule. Right after lunch he has his assigned reading. His half hour of tv is right after. If he doesn't read, he doesn't watch.

He reads a lot of his own stuff throughout the day. His love of reading hasn't suffered. But when he was learning to read and become comfortable with reading I did not assign reading.

Yes...If it is assigned reading, I will make my son finish...Sometimes we all have to do things that are necessary that we don't enjoy...We do it and get it over with...My boys have to do the same in regards to their school work...Some school work they enjoy, some they don't, but all gets done ;)

If it is a reading for pleasure book, then no...I din't care if you choose another book...

No, I do not require dc to finish a hated book with that sort of book (literature) whether "free" or "assigned". I read and was inspired by a book called, I think, The Book Whisperer. Highly recommend it to you!!! And I think it was particularly relevant to 5th grade. The author (a teacher) tells how she gets children reading, with tremendous success--and finishing hated books is not part of it.

Edited by Pen

Ok, good. lol I am feeling the same way....just do it and get it done. If she were in regular school, this would certainly be expected. I feel that as a 5th grader, it's time to step it up a bit and start taking more responsibility in her schooling. Everything is not going to be enjoyable. This is a tough age (10).

Sandy

Nope. I do not.

I require 4 chapters only.

If it is a book I have read and feel is important, I will take over and read it to her to see if there is perhaps a problem with understanding, strange fonts or reading level, but generally I'm not going to start a battle of wills over a single book.

I had the same rule with my ds, and he has never had a problem in college finishing books he doesn't like.

It depends on the book. The majority of the time I make them finish the assigned reading even when they really dislike it. I explain that one day they will have a boss who will make them read reports that they don't find interesting and they will need to know how to do it. Finishing a book you hate is good practice.

I wouldn't. If they really hate it, then what's the harm in assuming that there's a reason they hate it? Substitute with another book, read it as a read aloud, do some shared reading, listen to the audiobook, watch a movie based on it. The good thing about homeschooling---we have options that those public school children who are expected to read a book they hate don't have. There are plenty of ways you can learn about that particular book without the drudgery of reading a book that is beyond your level of ability, interest, or comprehension.

Think of it this way---what irreparable harm will come to your 5th grader if they don't read Swiss Family Robinson this year? Or ever for that matter? I think there are plenty of opportunities in life to teach them that it's good to finish what you started even if you dislike it. I don't believe reading is one of those things.

No. I don't require they finish a book, even an assigned one. I expect they give it a good go, say at least 4 chapters. Then I expect to discuss with them why they aren't enjoying the book. If it is something like the chapters are too long they can try to continue the book with 1/2 chapters assigned daily. If it something like the book is too sad, dry, boring, hard to understand, then another book will be assigned. If it is hard to understand I may try to revisit it at a later date or include it in read alouds. It isn't as though they are trying to get out of reading. They will be reading daily regardless of the book. I consider it a benefit of homeschooling that they don't have to finish a book regardless of interest. They have plenty of other assignments with no choice such as Math, Science, Writing, etc. It is important to me to foster a love of reading. I'm not saying I think having to read a book would dampen the love, but I do think for some children it could. I do understand if you put quite a lot of $ into buying specific books you'd really feel the need for them to use them. I buy books secondhand and cheap as possible to avoid feeling trapped into using them.

No. Two reasons;

1. There isn't any book that I think should be mandatory reading.

2. I think forcing kids to finish a book they don't like is a good way to turn them off reading.

I do however, require the reading of a couple of chapters before the child makes the decision to give it up. We can always revisit at a later date.

My kids aren't there yet (maybe I should push them a little more), but if it's an assigned book and age appropriate, I will make them finish. I think it's a bad habit to be in to think that just because you don't like something you shouldn't have to do, read, eat, watch, be friends with.....it. It's a good discipline to have to be able to carry something through, even if you don't like it and complete it well.

Assigned reading, yes. I make an odd exception if a child really does not click with a particular book when it is scheduled, but for the most part, assigned readings have to be read.
This. However, I don't assign specific books until fourth grade at the earliest, and even then try to present a choice of books. I would indeed make an exception for Swiss Family Robinson. :tongue_smilie:

Depends on the book and why DD doesn't like it. There have been a couple on the Sonlight lists where they just weren't good fits for DD at this time. I think they'll be GREAT for her in a few years, when she's matured a bit, but emotionally, she wasn't ready for them.

And I can also think of a few books I read in school or for academic team that literally bored me to tears-so dry, so boring, so tedious. In almost every case, there was another by the same author which was much more enjoyable. Since DD isn't in a situation where she needs to read the same book as everyone in her class, I have no objection to lateral moves to another book that's going to serve the same purpose.

And I can also think of a few books I read in school or for academic team that literally bored me to tears-so dry, so boring, so tedious. In almost every case, there was another by the same author which was much more enjoyable. Since DD isn't in a situation where she needs to read the same book as everyone in her class, I have no objection to lateral moves to another book that's going to serve the same purpose.

:iagree: Which is exactly the reason ps teachers have to require all the kids to read the same book, same number of chapters, same follow up assignments. You couldn't have 30 some kids all deciding they wanted to read something else and have any kind of coherent discussions in the time limits of a ps school class/day. But as homeschoolers we can pick another book by the same author or a book written in the same time period or with the same theme. And we have the option of reading the book at a later date.

Free Reading, no.

School Reading, yes. It's good for her and it's purposely a little hard in order to make her climb up to a higher reading level.

:iagree: There are so many books I would have never finished but I'm soo glad I HAD to read. Our Dutch language teacher used to say often, "To read is to know thy self." I couldn't agree more. It's partly because of reading harrowing accounts of drug abusers that I never touch the stuff. Never have, never will. This is just one example. Ivanhoe is not an easy read in the beginning, but it gets great when you plow through it.

Charlotte Mason also said that you should always have three books going: one easy novel, one medium (nonfiction, perhaps for information) and a challenging one. This will keep you in balance, and keep you on your toes.

That said, I'm currently reading The Adventures of Tintin, Ready to Learn, and I've started slogging through A Tale of Two Cities. Whenever I start getting too lazy, I pick myself up by my bootstraps and start reading Charlotte Mason's works again - which do require some effort on my part.

Ok, well I decided to let her skip Swiss Family Robinson. She literally jumped for joy and ran to the shelf to pick out a different book. She chose Heidi. After reading that some of you made the exception for SFR....I figured I could let it slide. lol My dd thanks you.

Sandy

Edited to say that she is now reading Anne of Green Gables....not sure why Heidi popped into my head. She dais so far she likes it.

Edited by thundersweet

If the chapters are longer than she's used to...couldn't you have her read less to see whether the content becomes more enjoyable? Maybe say she has to read X number of pages, but she can read more, if she's in the middle of something that she doesn't want to stop. Maybe even give her the option to read the chapter twice a day. Read this half now, the other half after lunch or dinner or whatever. If she's checking out before she's finished with the chapter, what is she really gaining?

No, I don't make her read something that doesn't appeal to her, and I don't make her finish something she dislikes. I find an alternative that is equally challenging, but I don't make her read anything she dislikes.

I look at it this way: Michael Clay Thompson lists 1300 classic, must-read books in Classics in the Classroom. If DD lives to be 75, and reads 20 of them a year, she might get through that list. Why force her to read something, now, that doesn't click with her? I'm in a Canon book group, and I'm reading for the first time things that I tossed aside at 20, or re-reading things I read in college and didn't get much from, and they are a whole different experience now. Mrs. Dalloway, at 20, did nothing for me; at 40 I loved it. Sometimes they just aren't ready for a particlar book, but will be later, sometimes a certain book will never click with a particular kid. So be it - there are plenty of great books in the world.

I am not talking about books they read on their own. I am referring to books you assign them to read. Like historical fiction that you may assign to go along with your history program or books in your literature program.

I bought most of the books in Veretas literature program for 5th grade. She chose to start with Swiss Family Robinson. Now she is complaining she doesn't like it and wants to move on to something else. She is on chapter 7. I am just having her read 1 chapter a day since they are rather long chapters. The thing is, I think she doesn't like it because the chapters are long. She always checks to see how long the chapters are. She was telling my mom about not liking the book

and that I was making her read it anyway. Of course mom says I am killing her love of reading.

On one hand, I agree with her. But on the other hand, didn't we all read books in school that were required? This child has a habit of not finishing books that she starts in her own personal reading. Ahh, I just don't know. What do you do in your homeschool?

Sandy

My kids have a bad habit of not finishing books too. It drives me nuts.

What might help with the long chapters in Swiss Family is to have her read for a certain period of time instead of one chapter's worth.

We read for 25 minutes here and then write about it for 5. It keeps me sane from constantly working up reading schedules for so many books.

Currently my kids do choose their own reading books from a fairly large selection. My rule is, if my kids get into a book and don't like it they can pass. But, they HAVE to read the next book they pick all the way through. That's working fine so far. I really do try to guide them to books I think they will enjoy when it's time to pick a new one to avoid these scenarios. If I thought they were abusing my pass system I wouldn't hesitate to get more strict: one pass per 6 week term, or something like that.

I used to require that they read at least 3 chapters before passing on a book, but that didn't work so well. Some were milking that for all it was worth. One of mine would act like a martyr making it through chapter 3 with heavy sighing, discard, and pick another one only to start the sighing martyr act all over again. rinse. repeat.

No, not really. Over this past year, I estimate I've assigned maybe 300 books to ODD (not counting her free reading). She finishes (and rereads) probably 90%. I figure if she decides a few here or there don't interest her, I've hit the subject from so many different angles with the other books that I've assigned that I'll let it slide.

No, not really. Over this past year, I estimate I've assigned maybe 300 books to ODD (not counting her free reading). She finishes (and rereads) probably 90%. I figure if she decides a few here or there don't interest her, I've hit the subject from so many different angles with the other books that I've assigned that I'll let it slide.

300 books in one year???? :001_huh: