Menu

Am I the only one who HATES door to door selling?

Just tell them. Often you can ask how much they would have made if you had sold whatever-it-is, and give them that. If they want you to sell $100 worth of whatever, and they would make $25 from that sale, ask to give them the $25. There may be others who would prefer to do the same thing. Many groups I've been part of over the years have offered this as a standard option - sell the stuff or pay $X. It works well, generally speaking.

Just tell them. Often you can ask how much they would have made if you had sold whatever-it-is, and give them that. If they want you to sell $100 worth of whatever, and they would make $25 from that sale, ask to give them the $25. There may be others who would prefer to do the same thing. Many groups I've been part of over the years have offered this as a standard option - sell the stuff or pay $X. It works well, generally speaking.

:iagree: When dd9 was in GS (we are out now, Yah!) we opted out of the Fall Product sales every year. Whatever the troop would have made off of the "goal" set for each girl is what I wrote a check for to the troop. It was never more than 20.00.

I was a consciencious objector from fundraising at my private high school. :D It just made me feel sick to ask people to buy over-priced goodies because they knew my parents or were my neighbors. I felt like it was abusing the relationship.

I don't think I could have my kids in a group that required doing it -- I guess I still don't feel any more comfortable about the idea than I did as a kid. :p

This is what I really disliked about Girl Scouts. We never did door to door but set up outside stores (in the cold of February/March). But we also had to find a place where the cookies for all the local troops could be delivered (for free) and divide up all those boxes (free labor) all to make 75 cents on a 4 dollar box of cookies which were not that good. The local paid GS staff had a very posh office building and the Worldwide GS headquarters is on 5th Avenue in New York. THAT is where profits are going and I did not care for that. :glare: I miss the girls and the fun we had but not the fundraising!

We're lucky I guess that our Troop only has us only do the Popcorn fundraising and we have $5 dues per month. Ds actually loved the door-to-door sales and was really good at it. I like it as it made them work for it, not just see how much mom and dad could sale to their friends. However, once a year is enough!

Our scout troop wants us to do another sales thing.

I would rather cut out something from our budget and just pay for the darn event than "raise money" by selling crap.

:glare:

Dawn

:iagree: I refuse to go door to door with the popcorn. I will stand at the show and sells for hours rather than go door to door. But I would much rather pay for the ding-dang events that sell overpriced, chemical-tasting popcorn that doesn't even look like popcorn.

I hate selling stuff too. My kids don't do any of that stuff anymore. Girl Scout drop outs and the boys never got to do scouts because of it. It is stupid and way over priced and to be truthful I HATE walking into walmart and seeing kids selling stuff. "No I don't want your $4 box of cookies, I can walk in the store and buy twice the amount for less".

I hate door to door selling and all fund raising. I used to just buy everything myself, even when we didn't like the product.

For me that's part of the ICK factor: the organization KNOWS most product is bought by the immediate families. If you're going to do that (and so little $$ ends up at the club level) why not just have dues? It just seems dishonest or creepy by the larger organization to push for child labor at best, manipulating relationships at worst...eeewwww.

I avoid shopping at stores with those kids at tables out front. :p

I was a consciencious objector from fundraising at my private high school. :D It just made me feel sick to ask people to buy over-priced goodies because they knew my parents or were my neighbors. I felt like it was abusing the relationship.

I'm so glad the private school my ds's attend don't do lots of fundraisers. They try to do one major campaign each year, but it does not require the kids to do any of the fundraising nor does it employ the door-to-door tactic. It pretty much just relies on families to participate--or not, there's no pressure. In fact, this year they decided to skip the fundraising and just ask for donations. They're trying to raise money to purchase property for the school.

My neighbor hit me up a couple years ago to buy stuff for her school fundraiser. I turned her down (I know, I'm a meanie) and she hasn't asked since. If she'd gotten dh, though, he's a pushover and will buy anything if a kid asks him to.