Menu

Vero Beach or Sanibel Island???

My personal pick would be Sanibel Island (can you tell from my descriptions?!). Here is a description of each:

Sanibel:

*quiet island with no big box stores

*serene natural setting with no condos more than 3 stories

*lots of nature/hiking/biking on the island

*excellent shelling and fishing

*lots of excellent restaurants and shopping

*big box stores close by but over a toll bridge

*more crowded in season (NOW and tapering through Easter)

Vero Beach:

*busier East Coast Florida feel (South Florida has slowly made its way up through and past Vero)

*lots of high-end shopping and resorts

*great restaurants

*beautiful but probably a bit more crowded Atlantic Coast beach

Lisa

Another yay for Sanibel! Hubby and I went there for our honeymoon. Sigh.

If you go, check out Captiva Island, which is a smaller island nearby that you can drive to. The Bubble Room there is a really kitschy little restaurant with cake slices for dessert that are as big as your arm :lol:

I'm not exaggerating much. The food is good. The cake is amazing.

Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve (or something like that) is really nice, too. We rented a tandem bike and rode through the preserve/reserve. It was great! Saw a huge alligator.

Sanibel is such a relaxing, beautiful low-key place. Enjoy!!

Christina

Sanibel. Lots of shells to find on the beach, etc. Vero is just a regular town, not a vacation destination.

If you were going anywhere in Florida I'd say St. Augustine. MUCH more fun.

Really? St. Augustine? Would you mind giving a to do list, we will be near there soon!

Really? St. Augustine? Would you mind giving a to do list, we will be near there soon!

Ooooh I love St. Augustine too! It's one of my favorite cities in this state. :) This list of attractions should give you ideas about what to do there. In my opinion, top must see attractions are El Castillo de San Marcos, Old Town and go to the Spanish Quarter (fun!), they also have great fudge in Old Town. :p The Fountain of Youth, you can see the original cross laid by Ponce de Leon in 1513 and drink from the fountain (sulfur water) and the grounds there are lovely with peacocks all around and there are lots of artifacts from the Timucuan Indian tribe (now extinct) and a burial ground there. Mision Nombre de Dios is lovely as are the trees around, not a total must see, but nice if you have time. There's also the old jail, Ripley's believe it or not etc etc. :) This site has a nice slide show of attractions as well so you can see them and see how they look to you.:)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Here's another must hit place in St. Augustine. Mmmm mmmm good!

http://www.thehyppo.com/

Ooooh I love St. Augustine too! It's one of my favorite cities in this state. :) This list of attractions should give you ideas about what to do there. In my opinion, top must see attractions are El Castillo de San Marcos, Old Town and go to the Spanish Quarter (fun!), they also have great fudge in Old Town. :p The Fountain of Youth, you can see the original cross laid by Ponce de Leon in 1513 and drink from the fountain (sulfur water) and the grounds there are lovely with peacocks all around and there are lots of artifacts from the Timucuan Indian tribe (now extinct) and a burial ground there. Mision Nombre de Dios is lovely as are the trees around, not a total must see, but nice if you have time. There's also the old jail, Ripley's believe it or not etc etc. :) This site has a nice slide show of attractions as well so you can see them and see how they look to you.:)

Sanibel! We love Sanibel. We've been twice and dream about going back. You can also have small half-day trips to other parts of the surrounding coast if you get energetic. Or you can just find a beautiful spot of beach and plant yourself. We've done both and loved them. If we win the lottery, we're retiring to Sanibel as soon as possible.