Menu

What allergy can this be???

So, I wrote a few weeks ago about how I was getting blisters in my mouth. I am pretty sure it is allergy related because I seem to have an outbreak when I eat. Problem is, I can't seem to narrow down WHAT exactly it is. I have pinpointed bananas as one culprit....but excluding just bananas did not solve my problem. Any ideas??

My doctor recommended an elimination diet, but just brown rice?? I think the straight carbs would outright kill me. I have insulin resistance, so I am lo carb and gluten free......so, my diet is already limited.....

I am frustrated by these blisters, but even more, they hurt!! AND they are beginning to form on the opening of my throat...scary!

What sayeth the hive?

Faithe

I wouldn't necessarily rule out other causes. Mouth sores can indicate nutritional deficiencies. They might be triggered, though not caused, by the physical act of eating. I'd start with making sure you're getting enough vitamin C. Though this may come as a surprise, some low carbers do have trouble getting enough vitamin C.

What do you eat now?

Since a low carb eater has already excluded or limited many things, you might want to design a "rare foods" diet for yourself instead of a total elimination diet. This can still be low carb. You just need to switch your protein, veggie, and fat sources to ones you don't eat frequently, that are not often allergenic, and which are minimally processed.

For myself, I might go with turkey, lamb, wild game, summer squash, asparagus, avocado, and sunflower seeds. For you, depending on your normal diet, it might look quite different.

Good luck figuring it out and/or finding some relief!

Look into Oral Allergy Syndrome. It involves numerous raw fruits and veggies.

:iagree:

I wouldn't rule out nutrition issues, either.

But to this day, I still haven't figured out what cause me to have a strange, allergic reaction. I ate an exotic (to me) fruit at someone's house, to be polite. Within a few minutes, my mouth and throat had blisters and a sort of burning sensation.

I don't know if it's possible to see an allergist (or is the doctor that suggested elimination one?), but mine started with taking down my history and using that with the results of the scratch tests. She counseled me about the potential cross-reactions. If you are allergic to a particular environmental allergen (such as a certain grass or tree pollen), you may react to certain foods with oral allergy syndrome. I'm not actually allergic to everything I reacted to, but the tests helped rule out some food definitively and we also did blood tests. I did end up carrying emergency med as I've had anaphylactic reactions, but if it is just OAS -- it usually is more annoying than anything. Often, if the food is cooked, the allergen is broken down, as opposed to allergenic foods that contain allergens that survive the heat. (But, I started out with just OAS and eventually discovered that I had more severe allergies to both raw and cooked foods.)

I get them from melons mostly.Often a cucumber or tomato will do it. Also some types of toothpaste and many mouthwashes. But melons are the worst - I get the mouth and throat equivalent of hives. btw - I'm also allergic to ragweed which makes it right in line with Oral Allergy Syndrome.

Edited by Karen in CO

Do you use Crest Prohealth or other Whitening toothpaste??

Back in the Fall, I was getting sores on my tongue and cheeks, my gum were hurting SO bad! The skin on the inside of my mouth was peeling off. I thought I had really bad Gingivitis or sometime of fungus (?) in my mouth... I dunno, I was freaking out and it was SOOOO painful!!

I finally Googled the symptoms and lo and behold TONS of people were complaining of the same symptoms, after using Crest Pro-Health toothpaste! Guess what toothpaste I had been using???? Yep. :glare: If you read the Amazon reviews for the toothpaste, it's FULL of complaints.

Anyways, I quit using it and it went away, but VERY slowly... it took at least a month for it to completely heal.

As I talked about it with other people, some of them told me that they had similar symptoms when using ANY toothpaste that has "Whitening" agents in them.... some people just develop allergies to the ingredients.

I would Google your toothpaste name and "blisters" and see if anything pops up. I am insulin resistant too... I don't know if that had anything to do with it, just thought I would point out the similarity.

What about NSAIDs? It's apparently a commonly known (but no one told me) side effect of drugs like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Voltaren, etc. I took too much with a inflammatory disease and now I can't take a single advil without breaking out with mouth sores.

BTW, I was fine for 30 years taking them, before I developed a reaction.

Thank you all for this information...

YES! I was using Crest Pro Health when it all started...I think...I have since switched.....but, still using a sensitive/enamel building toothpaste,...just the store brand...so maybe it is the same....

I also use NSAIDS and.....Have allergies to tree pollen..particularly oak and pine...also lilac and forsythia....aaaahhhhhhcccchhhhhhoooooo!

My mouth feels like a big allergy.

Thanks for all the info...

Faithe

If all the other suggestions fail then consider gluten.

Do you eat gluten?

I always got really bad sores in my mouth. Turns out it's a symptom of celiac. Just to throw one more thing out there for you to consider. ;)

I have been trying to be gluten free due to hashimoto's......I am notn100%. I just ate my dinner....and have blisters again...in my mouth and throat.

I think I am going to have to do an elimination diet.....:glare: I am going to try just brown rice, turkey and one veggie. Which one would be best??

Faithe

Back in the Fall, I was getting sores on my tongue and cheeks, my gum were hurting SO bad! The skin on the inside of my mouth was peeling off. I thought I had really bad Gingivitis or sometime of fungus (?) in my mouth... I dunno, I was freaking out and it was SOOOO painful!!

I finally Googled the symptoms and lo and behold TONS of people were complaining of the same symptoms, after using Crest Pro-Health toothpaste! Guess what toothpaste I had been using???? Yep. :glare: If you read the Amazon reviews for the toothpaste, it's FULL of complaints.

Anyways, I quit using it and it went away, but VERY slowly... it took at least a month for it to completely heal.

As I talked about it with other people, some of them told me that they had similar symptoms when using ANY toothpaste that has "Whitening" agents in them.... some people just develop allergies to the ingredients.

I would Google your toothpaste name and "blisters" and see if anything pops up. I am insulin resistant too... I don't know if that had anything to do with it, just thought I would point out the similarity.

The same thing happens to me when I use Sensodyne or any of the sensitive teeth toothpastes. The skin peels off the inside of my mouth like very thin tissue paper. Creepy.

I have had the painful bumps, but they were always due to some sort of minor infection. My doctor told me to rinse my mouth out with Gly-Oxide a few times a day and the bumps would go away. It worked. But again, my problem was an infection, so I don't know if my solution would work for you.

I agree. My eldest and I both have problems with certain toothpastes. It's fairly common in my family. We generally cannot use any kind of gel toothpaste and no toothpaste with whitening agents.

Are you taking any new medications? Didn't read all the other posts, so not sure if this was mentioned.

I know about 2 months ago I started a new drug for my fibro.

I took it for about 2 wks, and all the sudden I got these horrible blisters in my mouth, kinda like what yr talking about!

I stopped the meds, and a few days later, they were gone, never to be seen again.

I agree with the possibility of Oral Allergy Syndrome. DS has it but it causes itching inside his mouth and hives around his mouth and cheeks.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes swelling and rough patches inside my mouth (and eczema on my skin if I use soap or laundry detergent). It's in most toothpastes. I switched to a Burt's Bees toothpaste that doesn't have SLS in it, and my mouth hasn't had a problem since.

I agree with the possibility of Oral Allergy Syndrome. DS has it but it causes itching inside his mouth and hives around his mouth and cheeks.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes swelling and rough patches inside my mouth (and eczema on my skin if I use soap or laundry detergent). It's in most toothpastes. I switched to a Burt's Bees toothpaste that doesn't have SLS in it, and my mouth hasn't had a problem since.

Thanks Joann....I will try anything!

Faithe

Hey, I just switched my 9yod to a Burt's Bees toothpaste a week ago tomorrow, and her mouth and face are about 98% clear for the first time in a YEAR!

The reason I switched her was because she has severe eczema, and has had for several years, but about a year ago she started breaking out on the face with what didn't really look like Eczema to me.... bright red splotches that looked more like hives than eczema, extremely dry, flaky skin, raw spots and sores that would sometimes bleed and get infected.... At first I thought it *was* just eczema and kept dealing with it accordingly, but it just kept getting worse and worse. Finally got her into an allergist in July, and she was diagnosed with all sorts of allergies (internal and external) via IgE blood test. We eliminated all wheat/gluten, eggs, milk, soy, and peanut from her diet, and worked with the environmental stuff as well. But still, her skin (face being the biggest concern) would NOT clear up except for when she was on Prednisone. As soon as we'd stop the Prednisone, it would come right back. So I started researching and learned about Oral Allergy Syndrome.

Couldn't get her into a dermatologist (the one we wanted) until January 18th. Meanwhile, she kept getting infections... Staph, Impetigo, Pinkeye.

When we finally got to meet with the dermatologist, she looked over dd's allergy list and then asked, "Does she eat much corn?" Uhhhh.... yeah, she eats even more corn than she did before July, as we've replaced the wheat products with corn. :glare: (Not to mention HFCS and other names for it that that you find in just about *everything*.)

She went on to say that "we" (their office, I guess) look at seven things for skin problems: corn, tomatoes, eggs, ALL nuts (not just peanuts), chocolate, caffeine, and pork. Wow. In addition to the other four things we've already eliminated? :001_huh: She recommended eliminating these other foods for 3-4 weeks to see what happens.

But she ALSO recommended we eliminate anything mint flavored. Gum, toothpaste, tea.... (DD has severe allergies to grass/pollen/outdoor stuff.) So at first we switched dd to fruit flavored gum (that we could find without a corn product in it), but then I discovered that there's gluten hidden in the powdered coating of gum, so we cut that altogether. Switched her toothpaste as well. That one was HARD... trying to find toothpaste w/o mint flavoring or coloring or gluten or soy or corn.... :001_huh: But I found Burt's Bees Natural Toothpaste for Kids, orange flavored. (Every tube of Tom's that I looked at was mint flavored.) Actually, it does have Maltodextrin and Xanthan Gum in it, but those are pretty far down the list, and she obviously isn't being bothered by it. But her mouth area was the absolute HARDEST part of her body to get "clean", and today is thefirst time in MANY months that we haven't had to put something on it. My dd looked in the mirror this morning and actually SMILED at herself. Seven months ago she had looked in the mirror and sadly stated, "I don't like my face." And she was only 8 at the time. :crying:

So. Try getting rid of anything mint flavored first. That's the easiest thing to do right away. If that doesn't help, then consider eliminating those seven things recommended by the dermatologist (who is also a mom with a dd w/eczema.... and has apparently done her research ;) ): corn, tomatoes, eggs, nuts, chocolate, caffeine, and pork. (The latter means no bacon, hot dogs, sausage....)

One more thing.... I've been researching elimination diets, and apparently there are several different ways you can do it. Some say two weeks, some say 30 days... our doctor said 3-4 weeks. There's also a rotation diet which seems more doable to me than a *full elimination* diet, especially when dd has so many foods to eliminate. But we've found our groove now, so I think we'll keep doing what we're doing for a while... especially since we're FINALLY seeing results. :D

:grouphug:

I am allergic to a ton of foods and all toothpaste.

You can get your teeth just as clean if you brush for 3 minutes with no toothpaste.

You can do a rotation diet with weird food, here are some sample days, eat the same thing for all meals each day then new foods the next day, that helps pinpoint days and things that may be a problem. I would go fruit free for a few days before adding in fruits, many fruits are highly allergenic.

Day 1:

Buffalo, sweet potato, lettuce, coconut oil

Day 2:

Teff flour, duck, a veggie you do not eat often, palm oil

Day 3:

Rice, turkey, a different veggie you do not eat often, olive oil

Day 4:

Pork, potatoes, veggie from squash family

Day 5:

Chicken, Quinoa, veggie

Then, day 1 again, adding in a fruit every other day, starting with fruits you do not eat often, possible choices are star fruit, mangoes.

Teff flour is available from some health food stores, but I order mine from Amazon now. It is a gluten free highly non allergenic grain that tastes decent.

If you need really weird food, I get my weird meats from Exotic Meats, I just received some elk and quail today from them.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking more and more that it is an allergy. I also have eczema...and horrible pollen allergies. Sigh...

Faithe

I had horrible pollen allergies, allergy shots have helped a ton for those. Unfortunately, they can't do much for the food allergies. I have seen half a dozen allergists, I get a new one every time we move. I also got a really good air purifier last Christmas, then we got a second one a month ago, that helps, too. We now have 2 Whispure 500 air purifiers, I run them both on high. If I turn them down to low, I start feeling worse within 30 minutes.

Try coconut oil for the eczema. That's what we've been doing topically for my dd for the past week, as NONE of the numerous meds, creams, or lotions we've used have helped *much*. We've been slathering coconut oil on her face, neck, arms and back twice a day for the past, well, 10 days now. BIG difference. I didn't mention it earlier because I was thinking primarily about the Oral problem in my pp.

Toothbrushing:

I am brushing my teeth with salt and baking soda. Just dissolve in water and brush. It's very effective. Cheap, too.

Consider allergens ON food, not just in the food:

I have two kids that get a rash around their mouths when they eat certain bananas. I eventually tracked it to an anti fungal agent applied to some bananas - we only had a problem with those from Shoppers Food Warehouse. I also know someone who is allergic to the residue of a commercial cleaning product. Have you switched dish soaps, d/w detergent, or countertop cleaner recently?

I hope you figure it all out soon!

Sandra

But I found Burt's Bees Natural Toothpaste for Kids, orange flavored. (Every tube of Tom's that I looked at was mint flavored.)

Tom's has two for kids that are fruit flavored - strawberry banana (which is available at Target and other stores) amd orange mango which I have only found at Whole Foods. Weleda has some non mint toothpastes. I had one for kids that tasted like fennel. They also have one called "salt toothpaste." They have one with calendula that is specifically marketed as being mintfree.

:iagree::iagree:

the one time that happened to me, we were at a friends for a visit and they used Crest Prohealth. Within the day the skin on the inside of my mouth was peeling off in sheets, and by the end of the stay, I had developed blisters everywhere.

Tom's has two for kids that are fruit flavored - strawberry banana (which is available at Target and other stores) amd orange mango which I have only found at Whole Foods. Weleda has some non mint toothpastes. I had one for kids that tasted like fennel. They also have one called "salt toothpaste." They have one with calendula that is specifically marketed as being mintfree.

Thanks! I'll look out for those. I was at Walmart when shopping last week, and didn't have time to run around to different stores.

The "silly strawberry" is kept with kids' toothpastes, iin most stores I've seen. I checked Walmart's website and they do list the strawberry.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tom-s-Of-Maine-Children-s-Silly-Strawberry-Fluoride-Toothpaste-4.2-oz/16680121

You can check if your local store has it. If they don't you, you can set it up so they'll notify you by email when they come back in stock.

The "silly strawberry" is kept with kids' toothpastes, iin most stores I've seen. I checked Walmart's website and they do list the strawberry.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tom-s-Of-Maine-Children-s-Silly-Strawberry-Fluoride-Toothpaste-4.2-oz/16680121

You can check if your local store has it. If they don't you, you can set it up so they'll notify you by email when they come back in stock.

Grrrrr. That has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it. No wonder it's $2 cheaper than Burt's. :glare:

Thanks, anyway. :)

I had horrible pollen allergies, allergy shots have helped a ton for those. Unfortunately, they can't do much for the food allergies. I have seen half a dozen allergists, I get a new one every time we move. I also got a really good air purifier last Christmas, then we got a second one a month ago, that helps, too. We now have 2 Whispure 500 air purifiers, I run them both on high. If I turn them down to low, I start feeling worse within 30 minutes.

I have an Aprilaire UV 500 in my bedroom and a 1500 in the main house...and yes, I run them constantly, or pay the piper.

Btw, I used just a new toothbrush last night, and skipped the fresh tomatoes in my salad......NO BLISTERS IN MY MOUTH TODAY!!!!! This is the first time in 6 months my mouth does not hurt! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

What took my dr. 6 months to NOT figure out, you ladies figured out in day! Oy!

Faithe....back to my lesson planning:D

I have an Aprilaire UV 500 in my bedroom and a 1500 in the main house...and yes, I run them constantly, or pay the piper.

Btw, I used just a new toothbrush last night, and skipped the fresh tomatoes in my salad......NO BLISTERS IN MY MOUTH TODAY!!!!! This is the first time in 6 months my mouth does not hurt! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

What took my dr. 6 months to NOT figure out, you ladies figured out in day! Oy!

Faithe....back to my lesson planning:D

So do we get the doctor's co-pay? :lol:

Glad to hear you have some relief! :hurray:

My daughter also gets blisters all over her lips from toothpaste with SLS in it or lip balm with vitamin E in it. Vitamin E is usually made from wheat and my daughter is Gluten free.

I have another daughter who develops eczema from laundry soap and shampoo with SLS in it.

She brushes her teeth with a Castile soap. It sounds gross, but an olive oil soap does not taste soapy like a soap containing coconut oil will.

She has not had anymore blisters since giving up toothpaste completely.

What took my dr. 6 months to NOT figure out, you ladies figured out in day!

:party:

Ya just gotta love the hive!!

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious -- I was thinking of you -- are you any better??

Thanks for thinking of me...and yes, I am somewhat better. So far, I found out I am allergic to tomatoes, bananas, wheat, strawberries and sls in toothpaste...oh, and mint. I cut out most fruit so I can try them one at a time....veggies don't seem to bother me at all.

Thanks for asking!

Faithe