Menu

How far would you travel for a good co-op?

How far would you travel for a good co-op?  

1. 1. How far would you travel for a good co-op?

• 0-10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes
    • 30-40 minutes
    • 40-50 minutes
    • 50-60 minutes
    • More than 1 hour

We live in the city, miles from homeschool offerings at museums. We used to drive 30 minutes one way for a co-op and people at that co-op would drive over an hour. But honestly, 1 hour on the road felt too long for us. But we're weird that way. :D

We live very rurally. The nearest co-ops are an hour and a half away one way. We considered and prayed about joining but just couldn't. That is a 3 hour drive both ways. I said between 30-40 mins but that would be for 1 way. I chose that because of everything else I would still have to make happen that day (not school but other responsibilities) You also have to weigh how much time they would be in the co-op along with your drive time there and back.

I voted "30-40 minutes" because that is what we currently have to drive. Although, that is how long it takes us to get there. Returning home in rush hour traffic takes us over an hour. It's a major hassle, especially with the baby, but we do what we have to.

And are currently with our furthest ever, which is 35 minutes away. It has been great for everyone, so it has been worth it. I teach, and mine are getting good classes. Next year I'll be teaching there and only one kid will be involved, so we'll be reassessing after that. We are NOT morning people and it is tough getting up and hauling out. And gas is going up and up, and it pays the least of my teaching gigs.

Frankly if my one remaining kid isn't committed the year after that, we're bailing and will finish up middle school and high school with online and at-home classes.

I voted 40-50 because the most we've driven was 45 mins. It was once a week for a year, and it was exhausting. We only met in the morning and left after lunch but we got nothing else done the rest of the day. The next year the co-op moved to a closer location and it was only a 30 min drive. We haven't participated in a co-op in a few years, but my sons attend a school that is 30 mins away. We also looked at one 45 mins away but the longer drive was a negative factor for me.

I'm doing a co-op that I started; it's about 25-30 minutes away, and I have to get there early because I open up. I'd drive up to just about an hour, since I wouldn't be putting together another co-op. I know that the extra I drive would be less than me putting something together :)

We can do math and memory work in the car, so it's not really wasted time. :)

Depends a bit on the route, I think. Is it filled with traffic? Is it near other things? In a direction you have to go anyway?

I get more annoyed, I'll admit, by having to go somewhere I never go. Which sounds strange, but we live in the middle of a city. There's something in every direction. I think my brain gets overload if I have to sort out too many suburbs.

The thing is, I would not even go to a co-op unless it was really good. It doesn't matter if it was on my street.

Co-ops are a pain, IMHO. There are 2 "homeschool school" sorts of things here (where they have paid teachers, not parents, and where you don't have to be involved if you don't want) and they both have enough problems for me to not join either.... cost/distance/atmosphere/class selection all go into my decision.

Therefore, I couldn't vote. If it were a perfect co-op, I might drive an hour. I doubt it though. ;)

I knew there was a co-op twenty minutes from me, but I didn't even look into it until they relocated about 5 miles from my house. Now that I know more about it, I would consider driving 30 minutes to get there, but that's my limit for a weekly activity. I grew up in the country, so I KNOW how spoiled that sounds, but the city does make these things sooooo easy.

I didn't vote because there are more variables involved in my deciding whether to do it than just my time. I might be willing to drive up to an hour IF it was a really good co-op and IF we didn't have other commitments on other days. I don't like to be away from home every day, or even on most days. Being out of the house for a few hours a couple of afternoons or evenings a week for something that is truly worthwhile will work for us, but not more than that.