Menu

Dr. Laura email of the day 1/25/2012

:iagree:

And fwiw peer tutoring isn't a new concept. I was the smart one in public school as a kid in the early 90's, and ended up grading the teacher's papers and tutoring in 3rd grade. I didn't learn a thing that year - needless to say we started homeschooling in 4th. :D

Yep. I spent 3rd grade in the library and 4th grade tutoring before being shipped off to the GATE program in 5th. I just thought it was nice to see it in print.

Like!

I will say, tho, in all fairness, that sometimes teachers use peer tutoring to help the tutor, too--you know, the old "to prove you've learned something really well, teach it to someone else." And, I've never seen a peer tutor have to introduce a new concept; it's just review work and practice, mostly.

But still. I'm with ya.

My ds was one of the kids who ended up peer-tutored. He's dyslexic and was quickly falling behind. Most of the time the teacher had other students read questions to him. It's a lose-lose situation. It takes learning time away from the other kid and was humiliating for my ds. Talk about making a kid feel dumb! That was his last year in public school.

And fwiw peer tutoring isn't a new concept. I was the smart one in public school as a kid in the early 90's, and ended up grading the teacher's papers and tutoring in 3rd grade. I didn't learn a thing that year - needless to say we started homeschooling in 4th. :D

dd taught the math lesson in 2nd grade in the 80's. she graded french papers her senior year of high school. even in her very expensive private university where she complained if class size got above 12 - as a senior she taught one class once a week for an entire semester (the prof was there the other four days). and graded papers. (it made her decide quite strongly, she did NOT want to teach.) that was an undergrad program.

This is OT, but thanks so much for this link to Dr. Laura! I used to listen to her faithfully over 10 years ago and still have old copies of her magazine, but then I lost track of, and eventually forgot, about her.

Thanks for the blast from the past!

The real man thing is because Dr. Laura is a huge proponent of moms staying home to raise their kids. I haven't listened in years either, so I don't know if the "real man' is something she says on the show a lot now or something. But it is definitely what her show is about.

I want to know what Dr. Laura's thoughts were on group learning that started this. From the things I remember when I used to listen I know that she was pro staying home with your kids and that children shouldn't need preschool. That the "socialization" thing for little ones was silly if you were taking them out and about. She was against public school and for private school. The only time I heard her say anything about homeschooling was when a hsing mom called and said her child was ahead of her grade level and she said something about that she had heard that is often the case with homeschooling. This was all in the late 90s and early 2000s, so hsing has really risen in #s since then. I would like to know what her take is on it, and what the poster was responding to.

Blast from the past for me too...

This is OT, but thanks so much for this link to Dr. Laura! I used to listen to her faithfully over 10 years ago and still have old copies of her magazine, but then I lost track of, and eventually forgot, about her.

Thanks for the blast from the past!

:iagree: Love Dr. Laura! I had also kind of lost track of her. It's funny, I was just thinking about her the other day! Glad to have her site bookmarked now! :D

I like some of what that says, but what's with the "I never pursued a teaching position mostly because my husband is a real man and supports me being a stay-at-home-mommy." :confused:

Dr. Laura uses the term "real man" quite a bit. Being willing to be the sole support while his wife chose to be a stay-at-home-mom would fall under her definition.

When I did my MS Ed, "peer tutoring" was praised, praised, praised. In theory, each member of the team (or twosome) is supposed to take turns teaching the other(s) the concept. And it is true that teaching something is an excellent way to learn something, but....(reality creeps in). Oftentimes students aren't getting the concept enough to have to teach it, oftentimes the brightest kid is trying to teach a bunch of kids who don't get it at all or aren't interested at all, and it is rarely equal.

But try to get the educators of educators to recognize any of these facts...that's why the education system (IMHO) will continue to be in a long, long, slow, slow decline. Many ideologues, few practicalists. (if that is a word)

I was that kid in the early 70s - I could read when I started school and was "leading" a reading group of my peers when I was 5. Ask me how sick I got of Dick and Jane! ;)

So true!

I changed schools for my oldest dd in the 3rd grade because of that! She was light years ahead of most of her class, and instead of giving her work on her level, the teacher filled her days with peer-teaching the other students. It was crazy. (Unfortunately the other school wasn't any better at meeting her needs!)

I love Dr Laura. While I don't agree with every single thing she says- I do agree with most of it. I didn't listen to her for a number of years- and then found her show again on podcast... I don't know, like 2 years ago or so. I credit her with "normalizing" the idea of homeschooling for me, and I started thinking of HS'ing more seriously because of her thoughts. She has been VERY pro-homeschool since I have been listening again (not that I can recall that she was ever against it... I just don't remember her saying much, if anything, about it).

She is all about at least one parent at home with the kids- even if you have to work opposing shifts to make it happen. Her plugging homeschooling as of late seems to be centered around her feelings on failing schools, and the negative culture that exists in many of them- when you are trying to raise a wholesome child. She is very quick to push HS'ing on a caller that has trouble with a schools performance, administration, or negative influence upon children. And will keep pushing the caller on it- when she often gets the "oh, I don't think I could do *that*.

She is my daily dose of "we are doing so good by our kids". We have made sacrifices (as I am sure all have) to lead this lifestyle, for our kids. And when you have a MIL as I do (she loves to remind me that the reason most HS is because they don't want to get up and get the kids to school in the morning... Not me of course- but all the others... Gah!)... Her blunt perspective and regular accolades for all of the benefits of HS'ing is music to my ears. :) if you haven't listened lately- you might want to check her out.

My ds was one of the kids who ended up peer-tutored. He's dyslexic and was quickly falling behind. Most of the time the teacher had other students read questions to him. It's a lose-lose situation. It takes learning time away from the other kid and was humiliating for my ds. Talk about making a kid feel dumb! That was his last year in public school.

My dyslexic son went through the same thing! This was one of the reasons I ended up pulling him from school. The main reason was his teacher wouldn't let him read aloud in class because he took too long. :confused:

My DD14, in public high school, dislikes being in groups because all she does is help the kids in her groups. She's not against helping, but its the attitudes she has to deal with that bug her. Typically, members of her group won't do their share of work so she ends up doing everyone's work so her grade doesn't suffer. Honestly, this is one of her biggest gripes about school.

Thanks for posting this link. I never put it together what the whole working in groups thing was all about and this made it all clear. Back when I was a kid we never worked in groups. I guess teachers actually taught back then?