Menu

Prayer request: ER trip, two kids, bad roads, tired DH

Two of my boys are having reactions to antibiotics. They were fine all evening and then woke up itching and covered in a rash. It doesn't seem serious yet, but the rash is turning to hives and they have to be seen. One is away at a CAP event and the other is home here with me. DH is at the CAP event; he has to come collect the other boy and take them both to prompt care. And we're in the middle of a winter storm.

The doctor is expecting them, 911 is within a very short distance if somebody starts having trouble breathing, so this isn't as scary as it sounds. But DH is way overtired, the roads are a sheet of ice, and visibility is low due to the blowing snow.

So please pray for safety and that the allergic reaction will be arrested in both, and no big deal. And please pray that #1 son is not serious at all, because he's the Color Guard Commander and the regional competition is first thing in the morning. They've practiced two hours per day for months. It is a very, very big deal for him. (A third son is still at the CAP event, also going to be in the competition, and probably in a state of confusion that Dad and brother are leaving in the middle of the night. The fourth boy, who is on the same medication, is fast asleep here at home with no sign of a rash. Hope he stays that way.)

And pray for DH who will probably just stay awake and go to work in the morning.

And pray for the younger boy who was supposed to have a belt test in TKD in the morning and probably won't be able to, which means he'll get out of step with his best friend who he trains with.

Argh.

Thanks.

TD

Two of my boys are having reactions to antibiotics. They were fine all evening and then woke up itching and covered in a rash. It doesn't seem serious yet, but the rash is turning to hives and they have to be seen. One is away at a CAP event and the other is home here with me. DH is at the CAP event; he has to come collect the other boy and take them both to prompt care. And we're in the middle of a winter storm.

The doctor is expecting them, 911 is within a very short distance if somebody starts having trouble breathing, so this isn't as scary as it sounds. But DH is way overtired, the roads are a sheet of ice, and visibility is low due to the blowing snow.

So please pray for safety and that the allergic reaction will be arrested in both, and no big deal. And please pray that #1 son is not serious at all, because he's the Color Guard Commander and the regional competition is first thing in the morning. They've practiced two hours per day for months. It is a very, very big deal for him. (A third son is still at the CAP event, also going to be in the competition, and probably in a state of confusion that Dad and brother are leaving in the middle of the night. The fourth boy, who is on the same medication, is fast asleep here at home with no sign of a rash. Hope he stays that way.)

And pray for DH who will probably just stay awake and go to work in the morning.

And pray for the younger boy who was supposed to have a belt test in TKD in the morning and probably won't be able to, which means he'll get out of step with his best friend who he trains with.

Argh.

Thanks.

TD

:grouphug::grouphug: I understand the whole reaction/hives/ER bit.

Thank you all very much. Everybody is OK but frazzled. They didn't get home until the morning, because they were being watched to make sure the treatment worked.

They got steroid shots, creams, and anti-histamines, and a prescription for more steroids. The older one was sent back to the CAP event and the younger one is still asleep in bed at 11:15. His rash is just as bad but his breathing is fine.

I've got to wake him up enough to come with me to drive to the CAP thing and check on #1 son. He's not answering his phone but I know there would be plenty of people to call me if he was in trouble. So I assume he's fine but I still want to see for myself.

I just called DH and he says he's OK. I'm not a fan of electricians working in a sleep-deprived condition but he always does whatever he wants.

Thanks again for the prayers and well wishes.

I am so sorry. What a night you had! Those rashes can last a long time and they aren't fun. You'll also have to remind every doctor you go to not to give them the medication or anything similar. I'm always surprised how the charts seem to not have this information. :grouphug:

Just wondering, are they sure it was a reaction to the med and not a rash from an illness instead. Just seems weird that you have 2 boys on antibiotics (meaning they must have been sick to start with earlier in the week) that both came down with a rash at about the same time. I would wonder about scarlet fever or other rash associated with an illness and not a med reaction since it was both of them at the same time---esp. if htey have never had trouble with antibiotics before.

That said, unless they can clear the antibiotics, i would assume they are allergic. The doctors can do some tests to find out for sure though.

Hope they are both feeling better though. My nephew just started CAP and is LOVING it.

Just wondering, are they sure it was a reaction to the med and not a rash from an illness instead. Just seems weird that you have 2 boys on antibiotics (meaning they must have been sick to start with earlier in the week) that both came down with a rash at about the same time. I would wonder about scarlet fever or other rash associated with an illness and not a med reaction since it was both of them at the same time---esp. if htey have never had trouble with antibiotics before.

That said, unless they can clear the antibiotics, i would assume they are allergic. The doctors can do some tests to find out for sure though.

Hope they are both feeling better though. My nephew just started CAP and is LOVING it.

It was amoxicillin, and the textbook amoxicillin rash.

73px-Amoxicillin_rash_3_hours_after_17th_dose.JPG (not my kid but the younger boy looks like this) 84px-Amoxicillin_rash_11_hours_after_17th_dose.JPG (also not my kid but the older boy looks like this)

Neither have been on amoxicillin before. We're going to follow up with the family doctor about whether they can ever take it again; for now they were far enough along in the course that the doctor said to just stop the meds and not take another antibiotic right now.

I'm allergic to erythromycin and cephalosporins, and my youngest son is allergic to sulfa drugs. Truly allergic, needed epinephrine.

I hate medicine. I mean, I'm glad it saves our lives all the time and all, but it seems to be pretty unnatural. (tongue-in-cheek, I'm just so tired of illness that requires a cure, and cures that require other cures)

Sorry it is a antibiotic reaction. Given the family history, that makes it more likely--esp. with the text book rashes.

You could check with an allergist about testing before the need may ever arise.

I know how antibiotic reactions are as I have anaphylactic reactions to penicillin and most other antiobiotics except one class that isn't the best for most things. I just pray very hard I never get an infection.