Menu

Chatting on the cell phone in a public

restroom... what are your thoughts? I'm always surprised when I'm in a public restroom and there is someone in a stall AND talking on a cell phone!

Personally, I find it pretty distasteful and have decided that if I ever get the feeling someone is talking to me while doing their "business" I would either say "sounds like you're busy, call me later" and then hang up, or maybe just hang up.

I think if I was in a stall next to someone doing this I would loudly ask them to pass some paper under the stall because I was out. :D

I'm not a fan of public cell phone talkers. I really don't want to hear their conversations but sometimes they don't give you a choice. I think someone here once suggested to ask about the conversation after they get off the phone. You know, like, "Did he really say that? You totally did the right thing, girl."

I just don't want to know where they are! ;)

My dd's piano teacher had them do a Christmas recital at the local mall in a roped off area. It's kind of cool actually. And people shopping stop by for awhile to hear the music.

One of the dad's phone rang. He was standing about 10 feet away from the piano, and proceeded to talk, loudly, for about 10 minutes, some of which happened to be during my dd's song! I thought that was VERY rude! The teacher was on the other side and didn't realize it, and other parents didn't know him well enough to stop him. I should've probably said something, but I'm rather non-confrontational.

I guess I could've told him to go talk in the men's bathroom, which was not that far away!:001_smile:

I'm pretty nonconfrontational, too. But that would've made me speak up. Yes, siree.
Well, I did get his attention at one point. I did the shhhh sign, he nodded, then held up his hand (as in talk to the hand, only he meant hold on), and said, "What was that?" into the phone, put his finger in the ear the phone was not on, turned the other direction.....and KEPT TALKING! :glare:

So it would've caused a bigger scene to get to him and try to get him to realize where he was and what he was doing, than just to let him keep talking at that point. It was a little better once he turned around...

I talk to my mom while I run errands and clean house on weekends. She does the same with me. It's a great way to connect when you really can't be spending time with DH. :-) Some people have given me rude looks, but I don't care. I'm talking to my mom, and it's not like I'm loud or I don't tell her to hang on when I'm dealing with a checker or talking to someone IRL. And not in the bathroom! :-P We talk at least 3 hours a week that way!

I talk to my mom while I run errands and clean house on weekends. She does the same with me. It's a great way to connect when you really can't be spending time with DH. :-) Some people have given me rude looks, but I don't care. I'm talking to my mom, and it's not like I'm loud or I don't tell her to hang on when I'm dealing with a checker or talking to someone IRL. And not in the bathroom! :-P We talk at least 3 hours a week that way!
Actually I think that's neat! However, I hope you don't talk while you're driving!

It irritates me when someone is so busy talking on the phone (YES, it IS illegal!) that they can't drive straight. They sit at green lights, they weave between lanes, they go 20 miles under the speed limit, or almost slam into the back of you getting off the exit cuz they're talking and forget they're supposed to stop! :rant:

Whoa, where'd THAT come from? :) I think it's cuz it's happened 3 or 4 times to me recently. At those times, I MUCh prefer they talk in a restroom! :glare:

Very popular practice among my colleagues around the office. It's part of why I refuse to get a business cell phone.

Although not quite as publicly disruptive, I must say I find the practice of Bathroom Blackberry-ing even more disturbing.

Well, I certainly wouldn't do it. I would be mortified if I did and the person on the other end knew I was doing my business.

But then, I am a farily modest person so maybe that makes a difference. I just don't answer my phone if I am in a "compromised" situation.

I do think it's rude, but I also find it a bit amusing. Once in awhile you'll hear the bathroom cell phone talker say something like, "I'm just here in the bathroom at Target."

Yes... I've heard the talker say "I'm here in the restroom at XYZ... I don't mind if you don't?"

Seems fine to me! But I have plenty of conversations through the door when I'm in a restroom (at home or out with friends), so I guess talking on the phone seems about the same.

Although not quite as publicly disruptive, I must say I find the practice of Bathroom Blackberry-ing even more disturbing.

I think they call this...

Dingleberry-ing!

:lol::lol:

:leaving:

I have to admit I'm one of those who drives while talking on the cell. However, last week, someone pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I nipped him a bit on the corner of his bumper but he took off, so there was nothing I could do. I had my headset on but my mind was not prepared to avoid him as quickly as I should have.

Between that situation, the simple monthly cost which seems insane, and the very real possibility that they're probably dangerous in some way...I'm ready to ditch the phone and not renew when my agreement is up. It's already not working as well and the display doesn't always come up when I turn it on. It seems anything these days is built to last about 2 years or so. Or until it's time to renew your lease/agreement/whatever. It's a little Brave-New-World-ish if you ask me. In fact, now that I'm on my soapbox, I'm thinking of ditching (little by little) all of my dependence on this out of control technology, utilities, even food and learn to be self sustaining and off the grid. It's pure craziness this maze they (whoever "they" are) have us running in.

Wow...that felt great! Thanks for listening!!:)

Yes... I've heard the talker say "I'm here in the restroom at XYZ... I don't mind if you don't?"

Seems fine to me! But I have plenty of conversations through the door when I'm in a restroom (at home or out with friends), so I guess talking on the phone seems about the same.

See, I feel the same way. I always have a toddler or a dog with me in the bathroom anyway. I am generally talking to either my kids, my mom or my sister-in-law on the phone. They don't care and I don't care. In the big picture, it really doesn't matter. Everyone uses the potty.

Wait. You're missing the point. *Forget* the person on the other end--THEY can complain. *Forget* the person talking--they obviously don't care.

I. CARE. I don't want invisible people listening to me pee & flush. Really.

The worst experience I've had w/ this was a woman talking on her phone in the bathroom at a university. She actually said in shocked disgust, "No, that isn't me flushing!"

I tell you what. If I weren't so shy, it would have been her phone being flushed. The nerve! There is NO such thing as privacy when people go doing things like that!

Ask me how I really feel about it. :blush:

I am not one of those who talks in the bathroom LOL! I just cant....I dont know why. I always tell the person (who is usually my mom...she's all I really chat with on the phone) that I will call them back in a few minutes.

I also dont talk loudly....I dont want everyone in the world to know all my business!

My dd's piano teacher had them do a Christmas recital at the local mall in a roped off area. It's kind of cool actually. And people shopping stop by for awhile to hear the music.

One of the dad's phone rang. He was standing about 10 feet away from the piano, and proceeded to talk, loudly, for about 10 minutes, some of which happened to be during my dd's song! I thought that was VERY rude! The teacher was on the other side and didn't realize it, and other parents didn't know him well enough to stop him. I should've probably said something, but I'm rather non-confrontational.

I guess I could've told him to go talk in the men's bathroom, which was not that far away!:001_smile:

Oooh...I'm the anti non-confrontational person. I would have put my hands on his shoulders and steered away!

I can sort of understand the phone/bathroom thing (eta: honestly, I don't have a problem with it when I'm on the phone with my sister or something). But...I think *in public* it should only be if you're in there crying or something, not just chatting away.

I would have told him to "SHUT UP!!!"

as I did during my dd's recital and parents were talking. I also said they should be ashamed.

I uh...yeah I am confrontational. :boxing_smiley:

I am also one who thinks it is wrong to talk on the phone in the bathroom.

I also hate going places and all you see is people on phones.

I am one of the what 3% of the people who don't have a cell phone and don't plan on getting one. If I need to talk to you that bad I will call you from home or email you.

I have to admit I'm one of those who drives while talking on the cell. However, last week, someone pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I nipped him a bit on the corner of his bumper but he took off, so there was nothing I could do. I had my headset on but my mind was not prepared to avoid him as quickly as I should have.

Between that situation, the simple monthly cost which seems insane, and the very real possibility that they're probably dangerous in some way...I'm ready to ditch the phone and not renew when my agreement is up. It's already not working as well and the display doesn't always come up when I turn it on. It seems anything these days is built to last about 2 years or so. Or until it's time to renew your lease/agreement/whatever. It's a little Brave-New-World-ish if you ask me. In fact, now that I'm on my soapbox, I'm thinking of ditching (little by little) all of my dependence on this out of control technology, utilities, even food and learn to be self sustaining and off the grid. It's pure craziness this maze they (whoever "they" are) have us running in.

Wow...that felt great! Thanks for listening!!:)

!!!!!Ditch the phone!!!!! Do NOT drive while on the phone!!!:auto:

Repeat....Ditch the phone!

I do not have a cell phone and plan to die without one, but preferably by some other method than getting hit by some other driver on a cell phone:lol:!!

I talk to my mom while I run errands
Some people have given me rude looks, but I don't care.

I think most people who are talking on their cell phones while in stores, restaurants, banks, etc are not bothered by the rude looks they get. I know I have tried to give people like that the evil eye and they are absolutely oblivious to how their conduct annoys other people around them.

Okay, so I take two teens with me into the nail salon and announce "Mani-pedis all around" and they tell us to pick out our colors and have a seat in the pedicure lounge chair. So far, so good.

The guest teen (other one was my DD) got a guy who proceeded to ATTEMPT to give her a pedicure while making several phone calls in a row, and answering several more incoming calls .... WITH ONE HAND. After several stupid minutes engaged this way, I said to MY pedicurist, very loudly, "Excuse me, do you think he is going to try to do her entire pedicure while talking on the phone???"

Then there was much back and forth convo in Vietnamese... and he put the phone away. SHEESH. :tongue_smilie: I gave the tip to the woman who did me and told her to divide it however she felt was appropriate. I hope they clipped the phone talking guy. :confused:

PS - Forgot to say that talking and peeing is the ultimate in bad form. Just totally wrong in the privacy of your own home. And shameful in a public washroom with witnesses. Ugh . Ugh. Ugh.

Thanks for the rep points! I always forget to check my rep and say my thank-you's!

I gotta confess to being a public cell-phoner if I am sitting waiting for kids to get out of activities... I'll have to pay more attention to those annoyed faces around me! But I will never talk on the phone in a bathroom unless I've "fallen and I can't get up!":D