Menu

Would you prefer a one or two story home?

When I was still full of energy, I was just fine with two story. Now that I am older and tire more easily, I would prefer a one story. The master bedroom in this house is on first floor and upstairs are 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and gameroom. I know it has been a few years since I've been upstairs. I hope the kids are keeping it clean.

I really like our 2 story but I do NOT like that our bedroom is on the main level and the boys' rooms are upstairs. It's easy to not see them for long periods of time during the day and/or evening. They get to doing something in their rooms and they are simply in another house. I don't have reason to often go up there. It really is like living in two houses sometimes.

I agree with this. Our older house had living areas downstairs and all bedrooms upstairs. This worked well when kids were young.

Two floors, bedrooms and maybe a study upstairs, everything else down. I'd also be OK with a laundry room upstairs in a big house. As for why, I like having private spaces physically separate from the shared.

It depends on the age of the kids and where the bedrooms are. If the kids are old enough that I only have to venture upstairs once a week or so, then great! Otherwise I prefer a one story.

That is what I thought. Then, we moved into a house like that. I had to make them clean it today. Every time I go up there it is like trudging through Mordor. So dispiriting. If they were neatfreak children or if I went up there several times a day, maybe it would work. But neither of those things happen.

When we downsize, we will get a one story house or at least one in which only guest rooms are on the second floor. I am already having extreme difficulty getting up and down the stairs and have fallen a few times. I am picturing something with an eatin kitchen, a living room, dining room, an office, and a guest bedroom. I wouldn't mind it if the guest room was on the second floor.

I like bedrooms away from guests. I don't need the stress of people seeing the kids mess, or my mess for that matter. Actually I vote 3 floors. I couldn't live without the basement finished to hide the laundry room and to have a place for kids to go play or watch movies.

1. Because I have a phobia involving the floors collapsing. I cringe when the kids run around in the living room because we have bouncy laminate and everything shakes. I won't invite people over for indoor parties because I'm sure we'll all fall into the basement.

If I could sell this 2 story house and get a single story, I'd do it.

One!

I have a two story now and I hate the stairs.

I hate the stampeding sound of people going up and down them.

I hate cleaning them the stairs.

I also dislike the constant noise of people walking above me.

I dislike the safety issue of windows upstairs. We rarely open them because I wouldn't want a little one to lean too far out. Then there is the issue of fire safety.

I hate it when we fall down them. All of us have fallen at least part way down the stairs once since moving in 6 years ago. Kids run no matter how much yelling you tell them not to! And my left side is weak. I have to be very careful in case my hop or ankle decide to give out. Rare is the elderly person who can safely navigate stairs. We love the location of our home and a one story this size would cost considerably more, otherwise we would not be in this house. This might be our forever home or it might be our forever while raising kids home.

But at some point I think we will either have to move to a one story or just stop using the upstairs.

Geez. I feel so old now.

That is what I thought. Then, we moved into a house like that. I had to make them clean it today. Every time I go up there it is like trudging through Mordor. So dispiriting. If they were neatfreak children or if I went up there several times a day, maybe it would work. But neither of those things happen.

:lol::lol: yeah. That too! I'd say it's because I have 9 up there, but the truth is any one of them can make as big a mess as all 9 up there.

I prefer one story but couldn't do it here since I needed a storm room. And since this is where we think we will be living long term, it will be a two story for me. But this is the best design for a two story- I have the main living areas and the bedrooms on the main floor. On the walk out first floor, I have a family room, a guest bedroom/craft room, a bathroom, a whirlpool tub room with stand alone shower/exercise room/storm shelter, laundry area, and garage. The whole house will be easy to convert for me if I need to be in a wheelchair or can't do stairs anymore. THe stairs inside are straight and just right for a lift. I can also go in to the downstairs area through the garage which is on the same level. To get into the main house, I go up one step off of the driveway and then a step onto the porch. It would be easy to modify.

I depends. I like it when the bedrooms are upstairs and the living spaces are downstairs. What I have found that we don't like? The master on the bottom floor with the laundry room and kid bedrooms upstairs.

:iagree:

We learned that we cannot stand having the master bedroom on the first floor and the kids sleeping upstairs. Never again.

I love a two story house. Love it. I love the living areas being so separate from our sleeping areas. I actually like going up and down stairs, I feel like we get more steps into our day that way.

Edited by justamouse

We've owned a tri-level for 14 years and LOVE it. On the main floor is the kitchen, dining room, family room with a fireplace and a "Front room."

Going down 6 stairs is a large family room (which my husband has designed as a media room) with fireplace, a bathroom and his study. It's the "man cave" area.

Going up 6 stairs from the main level are 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Six stairs to climb isn't "too much".... but when we lived in a Cape Cod style house, that steep stairwell did seem like a lot, especially in the middle of the night when our young children needed us and our bedroom was on the first floor!