Menu

I'm sure I am over-reacting....................

.....which is a shock b/c we all know I NEVER do that!:lol:

Anyway, last Saturday dh and I signed a contract for a new home to be built. Home will be ready in June. We provided a check, copies of account statements showing balances of $ on hand.

We go next Saturday to finalize some of our selections, and in three weeks to make the remaining selections.

DH is meeting with mortgage person today - they have already spoken on the phone. Mortgage person told dh it is all good. We expected him to say that. Mortgage company is owned by the home builder. The contracts office of the builder put the mortgage person in touch with us.

For once, dh and I are totally calm about building a house -- no anxiety, really pleased with every facet of it from the actual house to the cost (which we both have great peace about).

Yesterday, the sales rep from the model home calls dh to tell him that 'she' has some qualms about our purchase. :confused: DH asks what they are, and she answers: 'Well, this was our last lot, and I took it off the market and it is sold to you, but what if you don't come up with the rest of the deposit $ in three weeks they way you are supposed to?'

I know there was another couple who wanted the lot that we bought. They spec'd out a house and so did we (they were a day ahead of us). They told the builder they wanted the home for $75k LESS than it spc'd out for. We spec'd out for the same amount and offered $25k less -- builder chose us and threw in a bunch of freebies. I have no doubt that prior to choosing who gets the house, they look at credit, income etc.

This is such an odd thing to call a buyer and say - especially since we offered to give them the entire deposit NOW to save ourselves another trip to the model home, the bank statements show that the $$$ is there, the mortgage person told dh we are golden, we are excited about the house and clearly conveyed that to her (we really did b/c we really are) ---

I don't get it.

I know from having dealt with this builder in the past that the sales rep does not have the authority or whatever one would call it to make ANY decisions regarding our home -- i.e., pulling the plug on our deal OR even okaying our contract. Everything comes from their main office -- which is how our contract was approved -- everything had to go through her manager.

I do not understand why she called dh yesterday to stir this up -- dh (who usually eats his liver over every little thing, blew it off) -- says he couldn't care less what she has to say about anything as she is nothing more than someone who delivers papers and checks to the main office.

I, on the other hand, who usually doesn't worry about stuff, am bothered that she did this. Is it because I think it is so inappropriate and therefore, doesn't really impact our contract at all. She is just being a pain?

I have to go workout -- maybe some endorphins will help.:confused:

ETA: Well, actually, I got her on the phone a short time ago, and laid it all on the line. I am too old to play games, and I certainly don't have the time.

Without going too much into detail, it has to do with how many of a certain type of mortgage one can have at a time on two properties in 'relatively' close proximity to each other --

So it all basically comes down to someone saying to the sales rep 'It will be better for them if their present house settles really quickly.' So, she calls dh and says that to him, and he basically ignores it b/c it's a given, we already know it, and it doesn't matter to him.

After all that (do you know how difficult it was to herd those killer monkeys?????), I have decided to chalk up her saying that to dh to her inexperience and naivetee.

Edited by MariannNOVA
Followed the advice of folks who said to call -- I did. Thank you

I would probably call the main office and relay the conversation to someone who does have the authority to make decisions so that they can either a) reassure you that the woman was out of line and everything is in order or b) clarify why she called and what it means.

I would bet there is some kind of bonus or payment tied to the salesperson selling all the lots and she is worried about not getting it (or something similarly mundane that has nothing to do with you).

I would probably call the main office and relay the conversation to someone who does have the authority to make decisions so that they can either a) reassure you that the woman was out of line and everything is in order or b) clarify why she called and what it means.

I would bet there is some kind of bonus or payment tied to the salesperson selling all the lots and she is worried about not getting it (or something similarly mundane that has nothing to do with you).

:iagree: In the back of my mind (having built with this builder before) I KNOW that there is some incentive program thisw young woman is on -- most of the young people who work for this company do so b/c they will be able to purchase a home at less than cost from the builder (used to be they were 'given' a home) -- I am sure that this all hinges on selling out communities, and other things.

I do think that on some level she is trying to cover her butt, but I guess I don't appreciate her rocking my little boat.

You make excellent points -- I think her phone call yesterday was self-serving. thank you:)

My guess is that she wants the balance of the deposit right away because she is leaving the company and if this deposit doesn't collect fully under her, or she may not get paid at all or some other nonsense that only matters to her. Or something in your contract says you don't need to pay the rest at all. Anyway, you have a court enforceable contract, right? If she has "qualms" about a signed contract, she should consult her lawyer. Anything else is just playing games, and they need to know that MariannNova don't play that. (Or if MN does play, you can tell her not to worry because your insurance company told you that the premium for business policy for training killer circus monkeys out of your car will be lowered by 5% this month because you are no longer legally blind ... so now there's PLENTY of money).

Do you think she has another buyer she wants to sell to?

Well, I did wonder about this other couple who were spec'ing out the same house but really low-balled their offer - which kind of got the builder annoyed b/c the sales rep spends about 3 hours spec-ing out a house ----- so to lowball, well, that wouldn't be considered in good faith.

Anyway, Yeah, I know this other couple is still lurking, but they had, as did we, about 48 hours to come up with another offer (in their case) and submit it. They didn't. We did. Our offer was accepted. We signed and gave them a check. In that 48 hours, they did nothing. We did everything.

DH and I have been 'the other couple' enough times to know that when the sold sign goes on the lot (it has) it means that $$$ has changed hands, and for all intent and purpose, the lot is gone. One asks the sales rep to call them if anything changes, and you wait maybe 4 weeks, and after that, you can be certain you need to seriously look elsewhere.

I have never, though, been the buyer and had a sales rep pull this.

My guess is that she wants the balance of the deposit right away because she is leaving the company and if this deposit doesn't collect fully under her, or she may not get paid at all or some other nonsense that only matters to her. Or something in your contract says you don't need to pay the rest at all. Anyway, you have a court enforceable contract, right? If she has "qualms" about a signed contract, she should consult her lawyer. Anything else is just playing games, and they need to know that MariannNova don't play that. (Or if MN does play, you can tell her not to worry because your insurance company told you that the premium for business policy for training killer circus monkeys out of your car will be lowered by 5% this month because you are no longer legally blind ... so now there's PLENTY of money).

:lol::lol::lol: I think the HOA docs say that we can't have killer circus monkeys. Circus monkeys, yes, but not the killer kind.

In red, then when dh offered that I would bring it to her yesterday (it is 3.50% of the purchase price - and we have offered three times now (twice on Saturday) to give it to her right now as opposed to 1% now and 2.5% in three weeks) she should have said yes. B/c today, I am not going anywhere and dh is meeting with the mortgage person and dh intends to bring this up with him.;)

Did she perhaps drop the ball with the other couple? Like not getting their counter, letting them know to counter, forgetting to pass on their counter.....She might be in hot water with them for some reason and is hopping you all will drop out so she can make things up with the other buyer.

Did she perhaps drop the ball with the other couple? Like not getting their counter, letting them know to counter, forgetting to pass on their counter.....She might be in hot water with them for some reason and is hopping you all will drop out so she can make things up with the other buyer.

Hmmmmmm, that's an interesting idea.

When I met with her last thursday, the other couple's offer had already been declined. DH and I made an offer within hours -- a good offer, and we knew it was a good offer. The builder countered - and we accepted his counter. It took all of 6 hours.

I do know that the other couple didn't counter when their offer was turned down. They walked away. Then, after our offer was accepted and we were on our way with a check, the other couple called and said they wanted to re-work their numbers -- so they weren't really countering, they were going to try and build a less expensive house.

Not knowing anything else, perhaps she didn't tell them to counter? She knew I was coming in the next day and they knew we were serious and we were good buyers?

I'm feeling big waving red flags here.

I wonder if she was fishing for a quote that she could use against you, maybe not even an accurate one. "Well, they called and said that they were withdrawing their offer." There might be a third buyer involved that would land a bigger commission on her.

I don't know.

It's weird enough that I would suggest taking some further action to demonstrate that you're truly buying the home, pronto. The stronger your evidence of a complete commitment is, the more difficult it will be for someone to 'ease' you out and have that plausibly be 'an honest mistake.' It may be paranoid, but I would make a stronger trail right now, just in case.

I'm feeling big waving red flags here.

I wonder if she was fishing for a quote that she could use against you, maybe not even an accurate one. "Well, they called and said that they were withdrawing their offer." There might be a third buyer involved that would land a bigger commission on her.

I don't know.

It's weird enough that I would suggest taking some further action to demonstrate that you're truly buying the home, pronto. The stronger your evidence of a complete commitment is, the more difficult it will be for someone to 'ease' you out and have that plausibly be 'an honest mistake.' It may be paranoid, but I would make a stronger trail right now, just in case.

Feeling the big red flags too.

I am getting on the phone with dh -- I have a feeling he did not pay enough attention to what she was saying yesterday and he has missed something important.

You need to contact her broker. If she is a Realtor, she could get in serious trouble. This is a big no-no. You don't contact a buyer and tell them you're concerned about the down payment. That's for the mortgage broker to worry about, not the real estate agent. She can worry that she might not get paid, but she should not be contacting you about the down payment.

You need to contact her broker. If she is a Realtor, she could get in serious trouble. This is a big no-no.

This is what I think as well.

You don't contact a buyer and tell them you're concerned about the down payment. That's for the mortgage broker to worry about, not the real estate agent. She can worry that she might not get paid, but she should not be contacting you about the down payment.

I wish that dh had paid more attention to her phone call yesterday:glare: and that I had paid more attention to dh last night.:glare:

:lol::lol::lol: I think the HOA docs say that we can't have killer circus monkeys. Circus monkeys, yes, but not the killer kind.

That's good, because those killer circus monkeys can be a real nuisance. Sure, they're cute and they wear those adorable little ruffled collars, but all that screaming when they kill people can keep you up half the night, and don't even get me started on the bloodstains all over the sidewalks... ;)

You need to contact her broker. If she is a Realtor, she could get in serious trouble. This is a big no-no. You don't contact a buyer and tell them you're concerned about the down payment. That's for the mortgage broker to worry about, not the real estate agent. She can worry that she might not get paid, but she should not be contacting you about the down payment.

:iagree:

Also, can you contact the builder directly and report what happened? This woman was just a sales rep, so you'll probably feel a lot better once you speak with her manager (or someone else higher up on the food chain.)

It sounds like the sales rep is trying to pull a fast one, and I think you should be pro-active in letting the builder know, in no uncertain terms, that you want the lot and the house. For all you know, she could be telling them that she thinks you're going to try to get out of the deal. Unless your dh completely misunderstood what she said (and I doubt that he did,) it seems like the rep is up to something, and you need to be sure her superiors know what's going on.

Edited by Catwoman

That's good, because those killer circus monkeys can be a real nuisance. Sure, they're cute and they wear those adorable little ruffled collars, but all that screaming when they kill people can keep you up half the night, and don't even get me started on the bloodstains all over the sidewalks... ;)

:lol: :smilielol5:

:confused: One has to love reading threads from the bottom up - oh, the possibilities. :lol:

Anyway, now that I read the rest and am over my disappointment that this isn't really about killer circus monkeys, I do agree with others when they suggested going over her head. Something is wrong here. Either she is trying to pull something or she doesn't know what she is doing. Bypass her and find out what is what without trying to panic too much at this point.

Ugh! I hope it works out for you.

The screams are just the worst!

:iagree:

Also, can you contact the builder directly and report what happened? This woman was just a sales rep, so you'll probably feel a lot better once you speak with her manager (or someone else higher up on the food chain.) Yes, dh is going to do that prior to meeting with their mortgage person. I mean the 'money' person is the person who should have the answers, right?

It sounds like the sales rep is trying to pull a fast one, and I think you should be pro-active in letting the builder know, in no uncertain terms, that you want the lot and the house. For all you know, she could be telling them that she thinks you're going to try to get out of the deal. Unless your dh completely misunderstood what she said (and I doubt that he did,) it seems like the rep is up to something, and you need to be sure her superiors know what's going on.

Not entirely out of the question that dh misunderstood -- but I think I won't go there.....yet.:glare:

:confused: One has to love reading threads from the bottom up - oh, the possibilities. :lol: We should have a 'bottoms up day' where we read and comment from the bottom of a thread up.

Anyway, now that I read the rest and am over my disappointment that this isn't really about killer circus monkeys, It isn't? :001_huh:

I do agree with others when they suggested going over her head. Something is wrong here. Either she is trying to pull something or she doesn't know what she is doing. Bypass her and find out what is what without trying to panic too much at this point.

Good advice -- thank you. I am trying not to hit the Cupcake Chardonnay before noon!;)

If you have a signed contract (meaning signed by both parties), then she has no say. However, if they have not signed the contract, they may be jerking you around because they may have a more favorable offer from this other buyer. We have had that happen to us. We had signed the contract on a plot of land at a decent price. We were told that the manager would be in later that day to sign the contract. In the meantime, another buyer came in and offered more. They accepted that offer, returned the earnest money and we lost the lot. We had no recourse since they had not signed the contract. I think they were using us to get a better deal from a builder who was buying multiple lots from this developer.

If you have a signed contract (meaning signed by both parties), then she has no say. However, if they have not signed the contract, they may be jerking you around because they may have a more favorable offer from this other buyer. We have had that happen to us. We had signed the contract on a plot of land at a decent price. We were told that the manager would be in later that day to sign the contract. In the meantime, another buyer came in and offered more. They accepted that offer, returned the earnest money and we lost the lot. We had no recourse since they had not signed the contract. I think they were using us to get a better deal from a builder who was buying multiple lots from this developer.

Ouch! That stinks.

Everyone has signed. manager and us. we have the copies to give to the mortgage person etc.

I need to speak with Dh who is in an eval right now and will call me back later. It's almost noon -- there's always cupcake chardonnay.

Just do be careful to keep things in writing, be very clear about your intentions, etc.

The bad thing about builder contracts is that they are entirely written to protect the builder. They probably have a lot of "outs" that you don't notice, and so you need to be very careful to keep your intentions clear. You don't have the same kind of protections that you do in a typical sales contract on an already built home.

I would try to put clarifications in writing as much as possible, emailed/faxed to the big boss, whoever that is, and cc: the sales reps.

I'm sure everything will work out for you, Mariann, but why can't things ever just go nice and smoothly??? You should be feeling happy right now, not feeling like you're on a roller coaster. :glare:

Perhaps you should consider sending the killer circus monkeys after that sales rep.

I'm thinking either the other couple did make a counter, and she dropped the ball, OR She has a friend or relative who really wants the lot and will offer more. Something is definitely off w/ her. :001_huh:

Now, about those killer monkeys... that's too bad, I might have purchased one of those from you! :lol:

I'm sure everything will work out for you, Mariann, but why can't things ever just go nice and smoothly??? You should be feeling happy right now, not feeling like you're on a roller coaster. :glare:

Perhaps you should consider sending the killer circus monkeys after that sales rep.

:lol:

I used to have THIS sign hanging in my pre-school classroom:

157206475v12_460x460_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

Ahem ... your story is that your insur called with good news about the killer circus monkey business you run out of your car. No HOA laws apply. You park along the curb...

If you are right about your dh's recollection, the money guy needs to schedule someone to wave a signed contract in front of her face. Really, her action is so weird, someone needs to wave it in front of her. Either she is acting as one of the seller's agents in her conferences with you, or she is not. If she is not, her comments are irrelevant and unimpressive. If she is, then the seller is up to no good. Seriously, there is way too much monkey business going on.

Yes, do this.

I'm a little surprised that you signed a contract before having the financing locked up and agreed in advance. Maybe I misunderstood, but it appears you signed a contract first and then met with the mortgage person?

I'd need a GFE in writing from the mortgage company first. I hope you got that and they don't try to slip fees in there.

Just do be careful to keep things in writing, be very clear about your intentions, etc.

The bad thing about builder contracts is that they are entirely written to protect the builder. They probably have a lot of "outs" that you don't notice, and so you need to be very careful to keep your intentions clear. You don't have the same kind of protections that you do in a typical sales contract on an already built home.

I would try to put clarifications in writing as much as possible, emailed/faxed to the big boss, whoever that is, and cc: the sales reps.

Absolutely. And I'd never do a deal like this without my own REAL ESTATE attorney reviewing my paperword (which in my case would be my spouse with his 25+ years experience), not just an attorney.

I wish that dh had paid more attention to her phone call yesterday:glare: and that I had paid more attention to dh last night.:glare:

My spouse is really bad at remembering details of conversations, unless it is work. I always handle this myself, taking notes, dating it, etc.

Every conversation we have goes like this:

ME: And then what did she say?

Him: Um, overall she said X

ME: NO, but what were the exact words????

Him: ??? I dunno. Something about....

[He reserves his attention to detail for work, I think!]

Yes, do this.

I'm a little surprised that you signed a contract before having the financing locked up and agreed in advance. Maybe I misunderstood, but it appears you signed a contract first and then met with the mortgage person? Nope -- met with mortgage person b4 signing -- in fact, sales rep had mortgage person come to the model. dh meeting with him today to give him copies of documents he needs.

I'd need a GFE in writing from the mortgage company first. I hope you got that and they don't try to slip fees in there.

The financing was locked up - which is why her phone call was so odd.

My spouse is really bad at remembering details of conversations, unless it is work. I always handle this myself, taking notes, dating it, etc.

Every conversation we have goes like this:

ME: And then what did she say?

Him: Um, overall she said X

ME: NO, but what were the exact words????

Him: ??? I dunno. Something about....

[He reserves his attention to detail for work, I think!]

OMG!!!!!!! EXACTLY what happens here.

DH to me: I'm not worried about it and I worry about everything.:D

Me to dh: And that proves exactly what?:glare:

I am on the run and can't read all the replies, but that would really knot my knickers, too. It's the kind of thing that just niggles at the mind.

So me, I would cut to the chase and make a personal call directly to the builder. Yeah, ask if HE has concerns about you, you just wanted to call and set his mind at ease, yada nice yada, all the while surreptitiously letting him know that such a call was made.

I'm guessing that somehow, either someone is losing out on a commission, or the other couple was someone's personal friend.

If you have all the paperwork in order, signed-sealed-delivered, you are legally okay.

But me? Yeah, I'd be making a call and going over my paperwork with a magnifying glass, searching for loopholes that someone else may be trying to find...

BTW, did you sell the current home, and I missed it?

:iagree: With the others. She is covering herself or a better commission is in the balance; I'd really keep a close watch on her.:bigear:

Well, actually, I got her on the phone a short time ago, and laid it all on the line. I am too old to play games, and I certainly don't have the time.

Without going too much into detail, it has to do with how many of a certain type of mortgage one can have at a time on two properties in 'relatively' close proximity to each other --

So it all basically comes down to someone saying to the sales rep 'It will be better for them if their present house settles really quickly.' So, she calls dh and says that to him, and he basically ignores it b/c it's a given, we already know it, and it doesn't matter to him.

After all that (do you know how difficult it was to herd those killer monkeys?????), I have decided to chalk up her saying that to dh to her inexperience and naivetee.

Absolutely. And I'd never do a deal like this without my own REAL ESTATE attorney reviewing my paperword (which in my case would be my spouse with his 25+ years experience), not just an attorney.

:iagree:We did that too -- close friend and RE attorney lives two minutes from the model, met us there last Saturday - and we went into another room of the house and conferred.

Agree totally with you -- dh and I have done this more than a few times, so maybe that bothered her.....that we have bought more homes than she has sold?

After talking to her a little while ago, I have decided that I let her ruffle my feathers for no good reason -- we have the paperwork, we have the mortgage person meeting with dh in like an hour, we have design center people setting appointments with us which they don't do unless the mortgage people say to set the appointment.

You all here have been great as usual.:grouphug:

I am on the run and can't read all the replies, but that would really knot my knickers, too. It's the kind of thing that just niggles at the mind.

So me, I would cut to the chase and make a personal call directly to the builder. Yeah, ask if HE has concerns about you, you just wanted to call and set his mind at ease, yada nice yada, all the while surreptitiously letting him know that such a call was made.

I'm guessing that somehow, either someone is losing out on a commission, or the other couple was someone's personal friend.

If you have all the paperwork in order, signed-sealed-delivered, you are legally okay.

But me? Yeah, I'd be making a call and going over my paperwork with a magnifying glass, searching for loopholes that someone else may be trying to find...

BTW, did you sell the current home, and I missed it?

House goes on market wednesday -- coming soon sign is up now -- waiting till wednesday b/c it keeps us off the market for 90 days so our days on market goes to zero.

No inventory in our zip code -- the builder told dh we should sell in a minute.:D

Well, actually, I got her on the phone a short time ago, and laid it all on the line. I am too old to play games, and I certainly don't have the time.

She called to let you know that having two mortgages isn't a great plan?? Good thing you have that brainiac looking out for you!! :lol:

You are just too nice, but I'm glad it's going to work out.

Ahem ... your story is that your insur called with good news about the killer circus monkey business you run out of your car. No HOA laws apply. You park along the curb...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand there's good money in the killer circus monkey business.

:lol:

I used to have THIS sign hanging in my pre-school classroom:

157206475v12_460x460_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it could easily be adapted for use as a "Beware of the Killer Circus Monkeys" sign to put outside of your new house, perhaps on some sort of highly electrified steel gate. It goes without saying that you'd have to change the photo to that of a real killer circus monkey, but other than that, the idea is right on the money.

It's never too soon to let your new neighbors know that you're "not just right." :D

She called to let you know that having two mortgages isn't a great plan?? Good thing you have that brainiac looking out for you!! :lol:
LOL! My two older daughters are older than she is - in her 20s. I could tell her stories that would make her plotz.

Mariann,

Now that you know the answer, drink the wine. :)

Thank you -- I was waiting for you to say that. I've penciled in Jack Daniels' Smoothies for breakfast tomorrow.

You are just too nice, but I'm glad it's going to work out.
Thank you.

:lol: :lol:

I understand there's good money in the killer circus monkey business.

:lol: :lol:

I think it could easily be adapted for use as a "Beware of the Killer Circus Monkeys" sign to put outside of your new house, perhaps on some sort of highly electrified steel gate. It goes without saying that you'd have to change the photo to that of a real killer circus monkey, but other than that, the idea is right on the money.

It's never too soon to let your new neighbors know that you're "not just right." :D

well, we waved last week when we were walking the lot, so we are trying to set their mnind at ease for a while at least.

ETA: Well, actually, I got her on the phone a short time ago, and laid it all on the line. I am too old to play games, and I certainly don't have the time.

It probably has something to do with the new regulations under Dodd-Frank. Our house has been paid off for several years, but dh and I are in the process of getting a mortgage on it to pay for dd's therapy expenses. Getting the mortgage this time has been a totally different experience than the first time around. Every time we question why things seem to be more difficult this time we keep getting the same answer -- "Dodd-Frank".

I didn't have any input so I never responded. Then I see the thread getting to 5 pages so the nosy side of me decies to check back in. I am reading about circus monkeys and cupcake Chardonnay. My head cold is doing a number on me! I keep trying to figure what the heck cupcake Chardonnay is. It sounds absolutely disgusting!!!

Is it a cupcake flavored wine, or cupcakes with wine in them? Both sound absolutely disgusting. :ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2::ack2: