Menu

"Farm Party" do you know what it is?

If it is what I think it is, it's a "Pharm Party."

People bring prescription drugs, dump them into a bowl (all types of meds mixed) and "party."

:iagree:

Just for the record.....it's a horrible thing and kids actually die from this sort of stupidity. I had to ask DS16 to explain it to me.

I've heard of pharm parties; I don't think my kids have.

I never saw or heard of an actual one during high school or college or adult life. I don't know anyone who has. I think it's a media scare more than anything. ((yes, I'm sure that some idiot, at some point, some where, has done it; just don't think it's very common))

Teens are far more likely to wind up in the hospital from good ol' alcohol poisoning. And those who can get their hands on decent prescription drugs sell them. It's the American way. ;)

According to the news, abuse of prescription drugs by teens is not uncommon. This link (I just chose the first one that popped up when I googled because I don't have time to read through everything) 1 in 5 teens has abused prescription drugs. Obviously not all abuse is done at a Pharm party just as all alcohol abuse isn't done at a kegger.

Funny that it never occurred to me that the spelling would be 'Pharm.' That is exactly what it is. Kids with a bowl full of prescription drugs. I had never heard of it until this weekend when someone I actually know attended one. I think it scared the 'carp' out of this kid, they weren't expecting it. Thankfully, they left. I had just never heard of anyone risking their lives like that. . . that's crazy!!!

If you don't mind my asking, when were you in highschool?

Not to long ago :D. Mid 90's.

But I remember my mother talking about them as well. I hate to say it, but part of it was the culture she/we lived in. Very yuppy, political type atmosphere.

Edited by simka2

oh my gosh! I have NEVER heard of a pharm party! :scared:

Ditto here. But then, I'm a seclusive goody two shoes. I only barely heard of the rock pile parties and only knew that kids drank at them. I never knew any more than that till I got older and my brother showed me pictures taken at one.

Ditto here. But then, I'm a seclusive goody two shoes. I only barely heard of the rock pile parties and only knew that kids drank at them. I never knew any more than that till I got older and my brother showed me pictures taken at one.

what the heck is a ROCK party? Do I not know of this because I'm OLD? almost 49.

what the heck is a ROCK party? Do I not know of this because I'm OLD? almost 49.

Rock pile party. In the country and small towns of the midwest, there are piles of gravel kept outside of towns on country roads. These are for re-rocking various small, country roads, etc. The local kids would meet up at these rock piles to drink and party. It mostly involved alcohol from what I understand...rarely drugs and most likely marijuana if anything.

This has been around since at least the '70's. I think they called it 'Fruit Salad" or something like that back then. Of course adults were having "Key Parties", the '70's were a wild time. (A key party is where all the couples put their house/car keys in a bowl, each man drew out a set of keys and the couples 'swapped' for the night.)

No...I have never participated in either type of party. I just remember them from way back then.:001_smile:

I was that kind of kid and I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of children taking their parents or siblings prescription meds either to use themselves or to sell for profit. Since I have many prescription medications in my home and many children I keep them (the meds not kids) locked in a safe. I have also explained the dangers of prescription medications and that some of them can kill you the very first time. I have made it clear to them that they should never take anything that they don't know exactly what is or what the effects may be.

I grew up in the projects...Where I lived, "rock" meant crack...There is probably a different meaning for those who grew up outside of the ghetto :tongue_smilie:

Definitely not ghetto, but where I grew up 'rock' meant crack, too. FWIW, I grew up in S FL.

I've heard of pharm parties; I don't think my kids have.

I never saw or heard of an actual one during high school or college or adult life. I don't know anyone who has. I think it's a media scare more than anything. ((yes, I'm sure that some idiot, at some point, some where, has done it; just don't think it's very common))

Teens are far more likely to wind up in the hospital from good ol' alcohol poisoning. And those who can get their hands on decent prescription drugs sell them. It's the American way. ;)

Yeah it happened here in our community. The son of a local city councilman died.