Menu

Well, I guess she can handle herself okay...

Oh Good Gravy...

We stopped by the corner supermarket for a few things. New cashier there, had not ever seen us. I'm all pre-shower, pony-tail eww.

"Oh Honey, why aren't you in school today?"

"I'm home schooled"

(this look, indescribable, gazing me up and down from her)

I say nothing.

Cashier: "Oh, do you like it? What grade are you in?"

"Yes, I do, I'm in third grade, I'm working on college geometry today. My friends are coming over today, well be studying Impressionism vs. Abstract Constructionism in the Arts this afternoon."

---blank wind in the store

Oh Good Gravy...

We stopped by the corner supermarket for a few things. New cashier there, had not ever seen us. I'm all pre-shower, pony-tail eww.

"Oh Honey, why aren't you in school today?"

"I'm home schooled"

I say nothing.

Cashier: "Oh, do you like it? What grade are you in?"

"Yes, I do, I'm in third grade, I'm working on college geometry today. My friends are coming over today, well be studying Impressionism vs. Abstract Constructionism in the Arts this afternoon."

---blank wind in the store

CLASSIC!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

That's the first time that's ever happened to her.

We got out of the store and I asked her, "Okay, what was that all about?"

She answered: "Justice."

lol :lol:

She must have picked up on the condescending tone, I wondered if I'd just imagined it..guess not.

:thumbup1:

She must have picked up on the condescending tone, I wondered if I'd just imagined it..guess not.

Your daughter sounds fantastic! :)

I have to admit that I laughed at first, but then I started wondering if the cashier might have just been being nice to your dd, rather than condescending, and then I felt sort of uncomfortable with your dd's reply.

I mean, her reply was funny to us, but it might have come across as arrogant and rude to the cashier.

It also doesn't help with the common impression that homeschooled kids are freaks of nature whose parents push them to study 24/7 because they want them to graduate college when they're 11.

Sorry if I'm the only negative person about this. I really did see it as funny at first, but then I started to feel sorry for the cashier and wonder if she went home and told her family about the snotty little kid she met today at work.

Again, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just having one of those days. :(

Cat, I didn't think the cashier was rude in the first place, and I didn't see how a child telling a cashier about her afternoon's plans was justice. How is it justice to say that you'll be studying with friends? I don't get it. So you're not alone.

Perhaps the cashier's look is why.

Studying with friends would fly in the face of the notion that homeschoolers are unsocialized. And her studies would go against the thought that homeschool moms aren't fit to teach and it should be left to the professionals.

I guess how one takes the story depends a lot on what stereotype of homeschoolers you have been exposed to.