Menu

Mormon Missionary question

Thank you to those who answered my questions!

Did you know that older couples also serve as missionaries? They are often involved in other kinds of missionary work besides door-to-door tracting, though, so they're not always as visible. My parents are in the process of submitting their papers, and we're all very eager to find out where they'll be assigned. :)

Did you know that older couples also serve as missionaries? They are often involved in other kinds of missionary work besides door-to-door tracting, though, so they're not always as visible. My parents are in the process of submitting their papers, and we're all very eager to find out where they'll be assigned. :)

My husband and I want to serve when our kids are off on their own. We really would enjoy that.

In addition, we don't send families as missionaries to any part of the world. We're different from some other denominations that support families living overseas as missionaries (I bring this up because people sometimes assume that we're a missionary family).

In addition, we don't send families as missionaries to any part of the world. We're different from some other denominations that support families living overseas as missionaries (I bring this up because people sometimes assume that we're a missionary family).

Good point. :)

I have a question <raises hand>. I'm not sure if this was asked but I didn't notice it in the previous posts.

How is it determined where they will serve? Do they request certain areas such as just the US or only overseas? How soon do they find out where they are going before they leave?

They are usually so hot when they visit here. Unfortunately I never have any cookies made but I do give them lemonade. They usually enjoy the break. Next time I will see if they'd like a sandwich or something we are having for lunch. I always thought it was an imposition to detain them. Now I know it isn't so will be more hospitable.

I have a question <raises hand>. I'm not sure if this was asked but I didn't notice it in the previous posts.

How is it determined where they will serve? Do they request certain areas such as just the US or only overseas? How soon do they find out where they are going before they leave?

They are usually so hot when they visit here. Unfortunately I never have any cookies made but I do give them lemonade. They usually enjoy the break. Next time I will see if they'd like a sandwich or something we are having for lunch. I always thought it was an imposition to detain them. Now I know it isn't so will be more hospitable.

How kind of you :001_smile: For the young men and women who go out and serve, in most cases they don't have any say over where they will go. They submit an application to serve to church headquarters. Things like medical conditions and foreign language experience are certainly considered, but the final decisions are made with prayer and inspiration by the church leadership. The older couples who serve have more say about where they will go.

The First Presidency (Prophet and his two councilors) and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles decide. Both prayer and practicality goes into deciding where a young man is sent. For example, in many countries (such as in South America and parts of Africa), it's best to only call missionaries from within that country, or neighboring countries, to serve, because of the volatile environment those nations are currently dealing with (and general Anti-Western, or Anti-Americanism, such as in Bolivia where my dad served in 1970. they don't send Americans there anymore, last I heard.). They generally try to keep as many missionaries "local" (in their native countries) as possible, because it's just easier. You don't have to deal with Visas or learning another language, or things like that. However, some nations simply don't have the LDS population density required to have all "locally grown" missionaries in service there, so they're brought in from elsewhere.

On the mission papers you are asked to put down any languages you already speak, other countries you may have already lived in, if you have a passport, any kind of criminal record, (even for something extremely minor, like a traffic violation. some countries are *very* strict), and things like that. No point in calling a missionary to serve in a country that's not going to let him or her in, ya know? But once it's determined what areas a missionary is eligible to serve in, lots of prayer goes into determining which of those areas to send him or her to. The missionary can accept or reject a Mission Call, but they don't get to choose exactly where they go. We believe the Lord sends them to where they're needed the most. :)

After a prospective missionary submits his or her paperwork to the church (which includes information about themselves, their health, and a letter of recommendation from their Bishop and Stake President), it typically takes 2-6 weeks for the Call to arrive, and from there it's typically 2-3 months before they're expected to arrive at the Missionary Training Center nearest them, where they'll spend anywhere from 2-6 weeks being trained (shorter if they're just serving in their native country, longer if they're having to learn a new language/culture, in addition to all the "how to be a missionary" stuff, plus waiting for all the Visa stuff to be sorted out).

And I'm sure some of the other ladies will fill in whatever I've left out. :001_smile:

Thank you all for all of your positive input and answering my questions. I might be back with more after I have heard from them. We have exchanged numbers so that we can set up a time.

I will keep the project to about an hour, giving an hour to chat eat lunch and get warm.

One last question. I understand Elder last name is what they go by. Is that how I should address them, or should I ask their first names?

I will also make sure we have lots of juice as we are not a soda family.

Thank you all for all of your positive input and answering my questions. I might be back with more after I have heard from them. We have exchanged numbers so that we can set up a time.

I will keep the project to about an hour, giving an hour to chat eat lunch and get warm.

One last question. I understand Elder last name is what they go by. Is that how I should address them, or should I ask their first names?

I will also make sure we have lots of juice as we are not a soda family.

Yup, go ahead and address them Elder Lastname. It's not offensive or anything to ask or know their first name, but that is how we address them. Sometimes when they speak to each other they just say, "Elder" and it becomes like their new first name :D

Elder Last Name is how they prefer to be addressed. You can ask them their first names, of course, but addressing them as Elder Last Name avoids too much familiarity and casualness. Even as LDS members, we address all missionaries as Elder So-and-So.

Although we do have a family in our ward whose last name is "Elder". Their boys were addressed as Elder First Name when they were on their missions. Because Elder Elder is just too ridiculous. :lol:

Elder Last Name is how they prefer to be addressed. You can ask them their first names, of course, but addressing them as Elder Last Name avoids too much familiarity and casualness. Even as LDS members, we address all missionaries as Elder So-and-So.

Although we do have a family in our ward whose last name is "Elder". Their boys were addressed as Elder First Name when they were on their missions. Because Elder Elder is just too ridiculous. :lol:

That's too funny! We had a bishop called Bishop Parsons, which I thought was really hillarious until my parents got a bishop Bishop. It's funny how those things shake out sometimes. :)

If you are interested in learning more about the Missionary Training Center (MTC), the BYU channel will air a special about it on January 9th.

http://byutv.org/show/c991e4ec-b18e-4871-b608-7b2fa0d9cdf6

If the BYU channel isn't available to view on your cable system, it is available online.

We watched the special in October and learned a ton about LDS missionaries. My favorite fun fact---the MTC in Utah has the world's largest gym!

I'm sure they enjoy the lemondade and/or water for hydration. thank you.

The First Presidency (Prophet and his two councilors) and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles decide. Both prayer and practicality goes into deciding where a young man is sent. For example, in many countries (such as in South America and parts of Africa), it's best to only call missionaries from within that country, or neighboring countries, to serve, because of the volatile environment those nations are currently dealing with (and general Anti-Western, or Anti-Americanism, such as in Bolivia where my dad served in 1970. they don't send Americans there anymore, last I heard.). They generally try to keep as many missionaries "local" (in their native countries) as possible, because it's just easier. You don't have to deal with Visas or learning another language, or things like that. However, some nations simply don't have the LDS population density required to have all "locally grown" missionaries in service there, so they're brought in from elsewhere.

On the mission papers you are asked to put down any languages you already speak, other countries you may have already lived in, if you have a passport, any kind of criminal record, (even for something extremely minor, like a traffic violation. some countries are *very* strict), and things like that. No point in calling a missionary to serve in a country that's not going to let him or her in, ya know? But once it's determined what areas a missionary is eligible to serve in, lots of prayer goes into determining which of those areas to send him or her to. The missionary can accept or reject a Mission Call, but they don't get to choose exactly where they go. We believe the Lord sends them to where they're needed the most. :)

After a prospective missionary submits his or her paperwork to the church (which includes information about themselves, their health, and a letter of recommendation from their Bishop and Stake President), it typically takes 2-6 weeks for the Call to arrive, and from there it's typically 2-3 months before they're expected to arrive at the Missionary Training Center nearest them, where they'll spend anywhere from 2-6 weeks being trained (shorter if they're just serving in their native country, longer if they're having to learn a new language/culture, in addition to all the "how to be a missionary" stuff, plus waiting for all the Visa stuff to be sorted out).

And I'm sure some of the other ladies will fill in whatever I've left out. :001_smile:

:iagree: I have one returned missionary daughter, and my sons are getting ready to leave. Both have studied japanese in college, and did well. One would love to serve a japanese speaking mission in Brazil - it has the largest japanese population outside of asia -, (dd keeps teasing him he'll end up in france, so then she can talk to him in french ;). - she had six years of french and served spanish speaking.) the other wants to stay in the US and speak english. we'll see what happens. :lol:

prospective missionaries can also include if they have a preferance for serving in or out of the US. It asks if they've studied a language, how long, when, and what were their grades. (helps to determine aptitude for learning a langauge). If they are interested in learning a langauge or not. (I know people who studied one language extensively - and had to learn a completely different one for their mission. e.g. fluent in mandarin and served a spanish speaking mission. He did use his Mandarin too.). While preferences and interests are asked, in the end, we believe it is the Holy Spirit guiding those making the decision of where missionaries are sent.

foreign langauge Missionaries have intense language study as part of their training and only spend eight weeks in the MTC. (same langauge speakers spend six weeks). There are dozens of langauges represented, so not all languages are taught at all MTC's (I think there are eight?). My nephew, from Washington went to Brazil to learn Portugese. (I'm told Finnish is the hardest language to learn.). an interesting bit of trivia - the military has in the past sent observers to see how the langauge program works so they can implement it with their own intense langauge programs.

They also learn a condensend history and culture of the country they are serving in as well. (20 odd years ago as part of a Japanese Foreign Ministry exchange student stay we hosted, we recieved a "brief" on Japan and Japanese Cluture. Dh and I had a chuckle - The brief was produced by the LDS church and dispensed through BYU - that's how good they are.)

There are also physical requirements and I know of at least one prospective missionary who had a very serious health problem uncovered during the required physicals.

That's too funny! We had a bishop called Bishop Parsons, which I thought was really hillarious until my parents got a bishop Bishop. It's funny how those things shake out sometimes. :)

how about president bishop? or bishop elder, or elder bishop? on top of the elder elder and bishop bishop.:)

I'm sure they enjoy the lemondade and/or water for hydration. thank you.

:iagree: I have one returned missionary daughter, and my sons are getting ready to leave. Both have studied japanese in college, and did well. One would love to serve a japanese speaking mission in Brazil - it has the largest japanese population outside of asia -, (dd keeps teasing him he'll end up in france, so then she can talk to him in french ;). - she had six years of french and served spanish speaking.) the other wants to stay in the US and speak english. we'll see what happens. :lol:

prospective missionaries can also include if they have a preferance for serving in or out of the US. It asks if they've studied a language, how long, when, and what were their grades. (helps to determine aptitude for learning a langauge). If they are interested in learning a langauge or not. (I know people who studied one language extensively - and had to learn a completely different one for their mission. e.g. fluent in mandarin and served a spanish speaking mission. He did use his Mandarin too.). While preferences and interests are asked, in the end, we believe it is the Holy Spirit guiding those making the decision of where missionaries are sent.

foreign langauge Missionaries have intense language study as part of their training and only spend eight weeks in the MTC. (same langauge speakers spend six weeks). There are dozens of langauges represented, so not all languages are taught at all MTC's (I think there are eight?). My nephew, from Washington went to Brazil to learn Portugese. (I'm told Finnish is the hardest language to learn.). an interesting bit of trivia - the military has in the past sent observers to see how the langauge program works so they can implement it with their own intense langauge programs.

They also learn a condensend history and culture of the country they are serving in as well. (20 odd years ago as part of a Japanese Foreign Ministry exchange student stay we hosted, we recieved a "brief" on Japan and Japanese Cluture. Dh and I had a chuckle - The brief was produced by the LDS church and dispensed through BYU - that's how good they are.)

There are also physical requirements and I know of at least one prospective missionary who had a very serious health problem uncovered during the required physicals.

My dad served in Germany and still likes to instill a little German language and culture into our lives when he can. He used to sing Silent Night in German at Christmas (more authentic, you know) and sometimes would make some yummy potato pancakes. I know how to say what they're called in German, but couldn't begin to try to spell it. I think he'd really like to go back there, but I'm not sure how Mom would feel about it. We're all pretty anxious for "the letter" to arrive, but their papers were only recently submitted. Well, resubmitted because there was a small error in the dental paperwork nobody caught on the way out the door. Hopefully soon, though.

One of my brothers went to Alabama (and I'm afraid he got teased a bit about his accent when he came home). One went to Arizona, which was a good place for him because he was so quiet and shy and I think learning a new language and culture might have been a little more than he could cope well with. One went to Mexico City, Mexico (and he has some STORIES!), and one to Hungary. Both of the foreign speaking brothers (and my brother-in-law, who went to Italy) learned the languages amazingly well. In fact, by the end of the two years both brothers would be asked what part of the country they were from, because they had a slight accent people couldn't place, but they weren't pegged as non-natives. It might just be because I'm the big sister, but I find that really impressive. The youngest taught Hungarian at the MTC when he got back (he was pre-med at BYU) and was asked to do some of the voice-over translations for General Conference. All that Spanish he took in high school came in handy when he married a girl with a non-English speaking Bolivian grandmother, however. The Mexico brother is now a bilingual optometrist and sometimes donates his skills overseas for free. It really can be quite the adventure, and can lead to interesting opportunites afterward. Although, I have to say that I find it a little annoying that my bil still answers the phone "Pronto!" after all this time. :glare: But that's just me.

Yep, my DH went to Finland. Finnish is the hardest language taught there since they quit teaching Navajo :). And I think some of them spend up to 12 weeks in the MTC for foreign language missions now.

I'm sure it depends upon the langauge. My daughter only did eight weeks. (and the day she arrived in chile, people were asking her if she was going home or straight back to school :001_huh: . . . she'd had such an easy time with spanish, they thought she was leaving :lol:. . . I atribute that to six years of french, and a college semester of latin.)

our former bishop served a navajo mission, and still speaks it. dd's first american companion was a navajo. Because of her coloring, the chileans thought she was latina and expected her to speak spanish, but she'd really been struggling with it.

My dad served in Germany and still likes to instill a little German language and culture into our lives when he can. He used to sing Silent Night in German at Christmas (more authentic, you know)

dh went to austria - it's not christmas without silent night, in german. any embellishments are considered sacrelidge. thunk. I have a literal translation of the words, I think it is more poignant. He also watches the new years concert from vienna every year.

dh does gulash and a really good rot kohl. (wth a really good german black rye bread that I finally found a bread machine recipe for 'cause why should I pay SEVEN dollars for a loaf of bread?) what shocked me is my super picky eaters like schnitzel. :001_huh: (I'm partial to cordon bleu myself. ;))

and sometimes would make some yummy potato pancakes. I know how to say what they're called in German, but couldn't begin to try to spell it. I think he'd really like to go back there, but I'm not sure how Mom would feel about it. We're all pretty anxious for "the letter" to arrive, but their papers were only recently submitted. Well, resubmitted because there was a small error in the dental paperwork nobody caught on the way out the door. Hopefully soon, though.

One of my brothers went to Alabama (and I'm afraid he got teased a bit about his accent when he came home). One went to Arizona, which was a good place for him because he was so quiet and shy and I think learning a new language and culture might have been a little more than he could cope well with. One went to Mexico City, Mexico (and he has some STORIES!), and one to Hungary. Both of the foreign speaking brothers (and my brother-in-law, who went to Italy) learned the languages amazingly well. In fact, by the end of the two years both brothers would be asked what part of the country they were from, because they had a slight accent people couldn't place, but they weren't pegged as non-natives. It might just be because I'm the big sister, but I find that really impressive. The youngest taught Hungarian at the MTC when he got back (he was pre-med at BYU) and was asked to do some of the voice-over translations for General Conference. All that Spanish he took in high school came in handy when he married a girl with a non-English speaking Bolivian grandmother, however. The Mexico brother is now a bilingual optometrist and sometimes donates his skills overseas for free. It really can be quite the adventure, and can lead to interesting opportunites afterward. Although, I have to say that I find it a little annoying that my bil still answers the phone "Pronto!" after all this time. :glare: But that's just me.

I have a friend who along with her three brothers all served spanish speaking in south america - and all have the quirks of the country they served in. she and two brothers were very annoyed with the third who pointed with his nose . . .apparently, that was common where he served.

another language problem I've heard of is missionaries who forget how to speak english. we were rolling when dd came home, and was speaking english with spanish language patterns.

Edited by gardenmom5

Just out of curiosity will they go into the home of a woman if it is totally impossible for her husband to be there? What if he's deployed? What if she's divorced or widowed? What if she's elderly? But wants to provide a meal or ask for help with something inside the house? Or do they only do outside service work? Just wondering!

Just out of curiosity will they go into the home of a woman if it is totally impossible for her husband to be there? What if he's deployed? What if she's divorced or widowed? What if she's elderly? But wants to provide a meal or ask for help with something inside the house? Or do they only do outside service work? Just wondering!

No the Elders can't go into the home of a woman if her husband is not there. If she is single for whatever reason same rules apply. However if she is over 65 she can have them in her home to feed them or for service. And yes they sometimes do inside service work.

They won't go in, but they may ask her if she'd be willing to allow a member (or members) of the local congregation in to help, along with the missionaries.

dh went to austria - it's not christmas without silent night, in german. any embellishments are considered sacrelidge. thunk. I have a literal translation of the words, I think it is more poignant

My family lived in Austria when I was in high school. Silent Night has a very special place in my heart, because it has such significance in Austrian culture. It is sung only on Christmas Eve. Every time I hear it I remember one Christmas eve in particular--my brother had arranged for our family quartet to play Christmas music at an old folks home near where we lived. We took our instruments and played, and the people seemed to enjoy it. But our last song was Silent Night, and when we began playing they all began singing, with tears streaming down their faces. It surprised me because modern Austria seems like a very secular country, but I realized that at least for these older people there were still very strong spiritual feelings.

another language problem I've heard of is missionaries who forget how to speak english. we were rolling when dd came home, and was speaking english with spanish language patterns.

I had a unique homecoming experience--I served as a missionary in Japan, but went "home" to Nicaragua (my dad's Foreign Service assignment at that time). I had been using only Japanese throughout my mission, all my companions were natives, so I spoke pretty fluently. We had lived in Latin America more than once during my growing up years, so I had known Spanish as well. The day I arrived home, I went for an exit interview with the local Stake President (ecclesiastical leader over several congregations), who only spoke Spanish. I understood what he said, but I could barely summon a word of Spanish in response--literally, I think I managed one word, "bien!"

Funniest part was two weeks later when I was asked to speak in my parent's ward (congregation). My Spanish had started to come back and I managed to stumble through a short talk. At the end they asked if I would bear my testimony in Japanese. I stood there for what seemed like forever, trying to access my Japanese--and I couldn't pull up anything at all. I think I finally managed to come up with something I had memorized way back in the Missionary Training Center. I sat down rather embarrassed, thinking everyone must wonder what kind of a missionary I had been if I couldn't even speak the language!

Apparently, I can handle one foreign language at a time--but don't ask me to switch from one to another.

--Sarah

No, they are not allowed. it is actually for the protection of both the woman, and the elders. however, if you have another adult woman with you, they can come inside.

Oh, okay, that was going to be my next question! (And what constitutes adult? 18? 21?)

Im not positive. I doubt two 21 year old girls would be aloud to be alone with two missionaries ;)

My friend and I gave the missionaries a ride not too long ago. They inquired about our ages (30 & 35), and we were old enough :) I would assume 30 is the minimum, but that's just a guess.

It never occurred to me that they'd rather do chores than knock on doors. I'll have to remember that :D

Once, early on in homeschooling we were actually learning about the mormons. (It was our first pass at SOTW) Low and behold, they knocked on the door. I was a bit stunned and told them we were JUST studying them. They came in and finshed the lesson :) It didn't seem to be an issue that my husband wasn't home.

A pair of missionaries came one day when my husband was home and ended up taking a walk with him and my son (in his stroller). DH is catholic and a serious zen philosopher , so I'm not sure what they made of him. DH also worked with someone in their church and they would discuss how the kids responded to Dh's questions. :lol: I think my house became a testing ground, because they kept sending pairs to us. One day they stopped coming and we haven't seen them for years. We must be blacklisted now :D

My family lived in Austria when I was in high school. Silent Night has a very special place in my heart, because it has such significance in Austrian culture. It is sung only on Christmas Eve. Every time I hear it I remember one Christmas eve in particular--my brother had arranged for our family quartet to play Christmas music at an old folks home near where we lived. We took our instruments and played, and the people seemed to enjoy it. But our last song was Silent Night, and when we began playing they all began singing, with tears streaming down their faces. It surprised me because modern Austria seems like a very secular country, but I realized that at least for these older people there were still very strong spiritual feelings.

I had a unique homecoming experience--I served as a missionary in Japan, but went "home" to Nicaragua (my dad's Foreign Service assignment at that time). I had been using only Japanese throughout my mission, all my companions were natives, so I spoke pretty fluently. We had lived in Latin America more than once during my growing up years, so I had known Spanish as well. The day I arrived home, I went for an exit interview with the local Stake President (ecclesiastical leader over several congregations), who only spoke Spanish. I understood what he said, but I could barely summon a word of Spanish in response--literally, I think I managed one word, "bien!"

Funniest part was two weeks later when I was asked to speak in my parent's ward (congregation). My Spanish had started to come back and I managed to stumble through a short talk. At the end they asked if I would bear my testimony in Japanese. I stood there for what seemed like forever, trying to access my Japanese--and I couldn't pull up anything at all. I think I finally managed to come up with something I had memorized way back in the Missionary Training Center. I sat down rather embarrassed, thinking everyone must wonder what kind of a missionary I had been if I couldn't even speak the language!

Apparently, I can handle one foreign language at a time--but don't ask me to switch from one to another.

--Sarah

:lol::grouphug: TCKness! I have that problem with accents. I access one temporarily and then have trouble dropping it to go back to "normal". My kids can always tell who I've been conversing with based upon how I'm speaking shortly after.

--Sarah

I just wanted to say I like this post. :)

I still keep some Japanese grammatical patterns, like prepositional phrases in the start of my sentences. And I could never get another foreign language to come out of my mouth after Japanese was entrenched. My poor French professor was at a complete loss trying figure out the sounds I was producing, not realizing they were Japanese.

Im not positive. I doubt two 21 year old girls would be aloud to be alone with two missionaries ;)

My friend and I gave the missionaries a ride not too long ago. They inquired about our ages (30 & 35), and we were old enough :) I would assume 30 is the minimum, but that's just a guess.

haha, no, I mean if a mom had an 18 or 21 year old with her, does that qualify as a second "adult."

haha, no, I mean if a mom had an 18 or 21 year old with her, does that qualify as a second "adult."

Oh.:tongue_smilie: oops. I have no idea! Maybe someone else does and they'll chime in soon. I would guess..... that would be ok. But I don't really know.

Ok, here is a related question. If someone is aware of illicit activity being done by missionaries on their street is there someone in the church that that person should contact? Do you call the local congregation and inquire or would that just be not ok? I would not ask, but twice now (years apart, different missionaries) it has happened and because I raise my kids on this street, it bothers me. Never saw this before moving here, before all the missionaries I met were seemingly upstanding youth. We live on a city street with lots of varied activities if you get my drift. Part of me says let the police deal with it, part of me says the police will not get there in time and that maybe their Elders or supervisors would be more helpful to them in the long run?

Edited by kijipt

Ok, here is a related question. If someone is aware of illicit activity being done by missionaries on their street is there someone in the church that that person should contact? Do you call the local congregation and inquire or would that just be not ok? I would not ask, but twice now (years apart, different missionaries) it has happened and because I raise my kids on this street, it bothers me. Never saw this before moving here, before all the missionaries I met were seemingly upstanding youth. We live on a city street with lots of varied activities if you get my drift. Part of me says let the police deal with it, part of me says the police will not get there in time and that maybe their Elders or supervisors would be more helpful to them in the long run?

In my opinion, if you see someone doing something illegal, you call the police. I can't see why it would be different in this situation. (Unless, of course, you live where I do, in which case I would almost never advise you to call the police. But that's another story.)

You certainly could call the local congregation and ask, that wouldn't be a problem at all. Also, there might be an LDS mission office listed in your local phone book, and that would be a good place to call as well, but I'm sure the bishop at your local ward would be able to put you in touch with the appropriate people. Or as Amira said, go ahead and call the police if what they're doing is illegal. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that.