Menu

Am I totally unreasonable?

I commented on the stomach flu exposure thread-

I am literally not letting my kids leave the house from now until we leave for our 5 hour trek to my parents on Friday. If anyone gets sick before we go our Christmas is ruined and we haven't been to see family in 6 months.

The last 2 Christmases and Thanksgivings all of us got sick while we were there. Everyone but me puked the whole way home and for DAYS afterward. I am emetophobic so this was extreme torture. We skipped Thanksgiving this year because I could not stand to have everyone puking, but we are going to risk it for Christmas.

Anyways, I have had to turn down playdates and gift exchanges, etc this week because I refuse to let the kids get exposed to any sicknesses. Some people are mad because their dd's are good friends with mine and their kids wanted to see mine before we left. They all go to ps and I am too worried they are carrying something my kids will easily get because we dont go to ps.

Am I totally nuts??

No. You're not nuts.

You know from extensive experience how miserable it is for your family to be sick on holidays, and you want to avoid a repeat performance this year.

I don't blame you a bit, and I definitely don't think you're nuts. Better to be over-cautious than wishing you would have been...

Not nuts in my book.

I have tickets to see the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast on Wednesday. We missed it when it was here in town earlier this month because DD woke up with a fever that morning. (I hadn't bought the tickets; nothing sells out here) She was devastated, so I found that it's playing in St. Louis this week and had to pre-purchase tickets. I've kept her away from anyone who merely has a sniffle! I did not dish out this much $$ so she could be miserable through it!

No, not nuts. If people so much as mention that their stomach hurts, we are out of there, washing hands and start taking Apple Cider Vinegar and Hydrated Bentonite Clay. The neighbor boy came over the other day and said "I threw up last night" - I was like - "I'm sorry, you can't play today, see you in a few days, buddy" and sent him on his way. His mom was a little bit disappointed since she thought it was just something he ate - I don't care - I'm not taking my chances!

Edited by LoveBaby

No, absolutely not! I keep my kids at home a lot during "flu season." Dd5 came home from Awana 2 weeks ago w/ a flu bug and we have been fighting it off & on for the last 2 weeks (ds2 got sick 1 1/2 hours before we were to leave for our hs Christmas party (the only outside holiday activity we had planned). So dh had to rush home from work (1 hr away) so I could take the rest of the kids to the party (they had worked so hard on their projects to display for the night I couldn't not take them). Then dh, ds11 & dd9 ended up sick the last couple days. I'm hoping we are past it now, but we are definately not going anywhere for a while! You can't please everyone. You dc's friends/parents should understand where you are coming from and maybe you can schedule gift exchanges etc. for after you get home.

Gosh, I'd vote just a little nuts! Kids get sick. I'm not going to skip out on fun stuff on the off chance someone might have a germ. Does your DH work outside the home? He could just as easily bring something home. Do you plan to go to the grocery store any this week? You could bring something home and make the kids sick even if they don't enter the store. Unless I know someone is sick, I don't worry about it. Life is too short.

Gosh, I'd vote just a little nuts! Kids get sick. I'm not going to skip out on fun stuff on the off chance someone might have a germ. Does your DH work outside the home? He could just as easily bring something home. Do you plan to go to the grocery store any this week? You could bring something home and make the kids sick even if they don't enter the store. Unless I know someone is sick, I don't worry about it. Life is too short.

But this isn't a way of life; it is mitigating the possibility of everyone being sick over one special weekend. I would find it crazy if people lived their lives this way, but I love the idea for preserving a very special event - like my day trip next week! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: especiaaly since it seems like in the past you have gotten sick from the trip and not before it. With that said, we all reserve the right to be as nuts as we want to be and I think friends being mad about you not scheduling any playdates or get-togethers this week is ridiculous. If you said no get-togethers all winter, then maybe I would understand, but for the week before Christmas/vacation? No biggie.

Not nuts. I am also a certified emetophobe and cannot remember any time in my life that I wasn't. Some of my earliest memories are centered around how horrible throwing up is!

It IS nutty to never get with other people, but I, like you, try to minimize things before travel. We'll not cancel regular things like co-op classes, dance, or orchestra, but we don't schedule extra playdates and we don't go to the mall or fast food (Norovirus can be spread by a sick fast food worker) for a few days before traveling. My kids hear plenty of lectures, right before trips, about not eating out of the "community pretzel bowl" at get-together and about proper handwashing (gels are not enough to kill stomach germs) including turning off the faucet and light switch with the paper towel.

We also don't visit folks (or have them over) if they were recently ill. They can be contagious for up to 2 weeks afterwards, but we basically go about two or three days of avoiding them...

Nothing would ruin a trip faster than a puking family.

Yes you are nuts-just kidding! I had a stomach thing go through my house and it was just crazy. I don't know if it was what everyone else had but it was intense vomiting for like 10 hours, then an assortment of other gasses and symptoms for as long as a 8 more days! We all had it in varied amounts with me, of course, just getting some mild symptoms b/c I seem to be immune to most everything. I found that when they did start to throw up don't give them anything for like 4 hours. I know we all want to push fluids but that just causes more puking. Once the stomach settled I went with little bits of room temp, flat soda. No food for at least 24 hours though.

We always seem to be sick during Christmas. I'm trying to keep everyone well (vitamins, lots of fluids, lots of handwashing, etc). This includes minimal exposure. However, life happens. I just ask the kids, who go to town, to use their hand sanitizer (such as after messing with shopping carts). It would be nice to have a illness-free Christmas - especially since DH is coming home (he has been gone a month working at his new job).

The last 2 Christmases and Thanksgivings all of us got sick while we were there.

If this happened to me I think I would feel the same way.

However, I think my dc would mutiny :willy_nilly:.

Baking and caroling and Christmas movie nights are part of their traditions now and they would not easily give them up.

I am only doing this because we haven't seen family in forever and my kids would be horribly upset if we didn't make it to grandmas.

I am not leaving the house, yes my dh works outside the home but he is a surveyor who is outside all day and works mostly by himself. He may have to stop and gas up but thats about it. He sanitizes up and showers as soon as he gets home. The likely hood of him bringing something home is very minimal.

Technically the kids could be carrying something right now and still get sick friday, but I think this way I am doing everything in my power to get us to my parents house. They will undoubtedly get sick when we get there and puke the whole time or the whole way home, but at least we got there. I am not one to take puking kids anywhere.

I feel better knowing there are people who dont think I am nute :)

you are definitely not crazy. We had this happen about 4 years ago, and it was NOT fun. We were travelling, and it was torture. I came back home last Sat night to find my dd's boyfriend who was over helping decorate the tree totally flaked out/sick. He threw up before he left. Man I hustled him home asap, and lysoled EVERYTHING about 10 times. Then my dd was going to spend a couple nights with her best friend, but we just found out that her friend just got sick, and there are 3 others sick at the house. Plus my dd has a theater rehearsal that she didn't know about because she wasn't keeping up on the schedule like she should have been...soooo that sleepover ain't happening. We are going up to my husband's elderly parent's house for Christmas, and bringing with us my elderly parents, plus my mom has cancer and is coming off of chemo. Ain't no way I want extraneous germs floating around. Yep, I'm very paranoid.

Not nuts. We're sick in my house right now, though my kids are feeling better, but we still skipped our robotics meeting tonight and will skip our piano lesson tomorrow. I simply don't believe in exposing people to our germs, especially right before Christmas. :p

Nut free to avoid the sick.

Depending on who you are avoiding thinking they might make you sick, ... Depends on how long you are avoiding people for and why. For a few days it is still nut free.

Two Years ago we were at my parents for Christmas. My brother and his kids were coming over in the afternoon. (we had arrived a day or too earlier since we come from 90 minutes away and sleep over)

My brother and his wife reported that they were all sick the day before but felt better and where coming over. WE LEFT!

Everyone who saw them that day got very sick for days.

I'm glad we missed seeing them that year.:)

Yes, I think that's over the top. And our annual trek is a 20-hour drive. No way would I lock up DS between now and the trek. I realize there is some relationship between contact with other people and trip-ruining illness, but it's nowhere near 1:1.

And I'm pretty sure we (this board) had this very same conversation last year just before Christmas. :D

No, you are not nuts. Years ago, when dd32 was 12, she was scheduled for surgery -- great big long story - not going into it here -- anyway, younger dd started vomiting on a Friday (surgery was Tuesday a.m.) -- dd12's best friend's mom came and got dd12 and kept her there at their house till Monday night.

No -- you are not nuts.

We are all on Sambucol, vitamin c and d. Lockdown is a total of 4 1/2 days. I was going to put my kids in a parents day out on saturday, had second thoughts and kept them home...sure enough a boy in my boys age group puked all over 2 kids. Man did I call that one or what? :001_smile:

I didn't cancel anything that was scheduled or anything...every year depending on when Christmas falls my dd exchanges gifts before or after.