Menu

How do you teach your children to pronounce the word yo in Spanish?

In Getting Started With Spanish they teach that the word "yo," meaning "I," has more than one pronunciation which varies by locale. It basically says you can use whichever you are most comfortable with but suggests that while yo is most common in the U.S. (and acceptable), jo is more "authentic."

So which do you use? As of now, it's doubtful we would be traveling to any Spanish speaking countries and don't know any Spanish speakers, this is just for purposes of practicing at home, really. Does it even matter?

It basically says you can use whichever you are most comfortable with but suggests that while yo is most common in the U.S. (and acceptable), jo is more "authentic."

Hmmm. I don't know that I'd say "jo" is more authentic. It really depends on where the native speaker is from. My Cuban and Puerto Rican friends are more likely to say "jo." My in-laws who are of Mexican descent all say "yo."

Since we live in TX and our family says "yo" this is what we teach our kids. If we lived in S. Florida, we'd probably teach "jo."

Hmmm. I don't know that I'd say "jo" is more authentic. It really depends on where the native speaker is from. My Cuban and Puerto Rican friends are more likely to say "jo." My in-laws who are of Mexican descent all say "yo."

Since we live in TX and our family says "yo" this is what we teach our kids. If we lived in S. Florida, we'd probably teach "jo."

:iagree:

Never heard of the "j" in yo either from my family or others from latin america. It is just "YO" Heavy on the "Y" (yuh) as you speak it, if that helps.

Edited by tex-mex

If we lived in S. Florida, we'd probably teach "jo."

Off-topic, but heard "Ja" the other day while in the restroom -- a young mom and her toddler. Was cracking up so much over the conversation (easedropping -- but I was in the next stall) in Spanish. Loved it when she said "Ja" to hush him up. HAAAAA :lol:

Hmmm, JA is an important part of my mom arsenal. When I say "Ja esta", the kids know I mean business.

As to jo or yo, it depends on the country and sometimes on the register of speech. I'd use yo in more formal situations and slide to jo in more informal or slangy one. The same with ja instead of ya. I speak Venezuelan Spanish although we also lived in Argentina (where it's jjjjo with a Frenchish j).

I'd go with yo as the most neutral pronunciation.

My in-laws who are of Mexican descent all say "yo."

Ds1's teacher is from Mexico and she says "jo." I learned "yo" back in high school, but only one of my teachers was a native speaker and she was from either Venezuela or Argentina. (I don't remember.)

I was taught 'yo' in high school. In college I was taught that the most common pronunciation is with a palatal stop - not a sound found in English.

ETA: Here it says the 'yo' version is used in Central America and northernmost Mexico. The palatal stop version is used in most varieties in Spain and the Americas. The 'jo' pronunciation is used in Andalusia, Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

Edited by crstarlette

I have never heard a native speaker say "yo", unless they had been speaking English so long that they have gotten lax. I live in northern Mexico, and have only heard Mexican-Americans do it here. In Ca. you do hear it, and even from some native speakers. It is mostly because they hear it so much they adapt. Once they get around other native speakers, it tends to morph back to "jo". At least, this last part is what I have witnessed.

If you would like to be authentic, I would go with "jo."

Just my two cents.

Danielle

ETA: Dh and BIl wanted me to add that this might be more of an ear issue. Yo in Spanish is pronounced very similar to Jo (the name), but then again... There is a hint of the y sound (yes) there, but to our (DH, BIL, and I) the j sound is very clear. This is why many Spanish speakers struggle with the word yes. When they are first learning English, many pronounce yes, jes. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by USDGAL

I grew up on the border with Mexico. "Yo" is what I heard, but it is different from how you would say "yo" in English. My parents met in eastern Argentina, where they both lived in the early 70s. They say "zho." Dh lived in Argentina for a couple of years as well. He was in the northwest near Bolivia, so he says "jo." In high school, we hosted an exchange student from northeast Argentina. She says "zho." My accent is a Mexican/Argentine mix, depending on whom I'm talking to. :tongue_smilie: I prefer "zho" and the vos conjugation, but if I'm speaking to Mexican speakers I will adopt a more Mexican accent. When we went to Spain this year I went full Mexican because that took less mental effort. I do love the Spanish accent. We had a cab driver who was the stereotypical sexy, dark Latin and his accent was beautiful. :svengo:

Anyway, I teach "yo." It is more universal. :)

I really appreciate all the replies. They sure are diverse. I'm still undecided which I want to go with lol. I am thinking "yo" is what will be commonly known to people we may practice our new-found skills on around here, but, still, it is good to keep in mind that there are other pronunciations.

My husband works with Spanish speakers from all over Mexico and South America. HE says he only hears a y sound, but I've asked him to survey a couple of his closer employees today. :)

I've been teaching y with GSWS b/c I feel the kids have enough pronunciations to deal with, why add an unnecessary one? Personally, I feel (hear?) a very soft j is more authentic. The audio clips go with a hard j.

PS -Nance, we signed up for family membership at the environmental center last week!

• 1 month later...

BJU Spanish 1 on DVD teaches the J sound for "yo" and for the double l in "ella", both of which are different than the three years of Spanish I took in high school. I don't know yet if the Spanish 2 and 3 teachers do this or not.

We are loving BJU Spanish DVDs after having tried the big R. My kids say it is a much easier way to learn it and comment that they are learning so many practical things right from the start. They like it much better than R even though BJU is a 45-minute class five days a week!

I am doing the class together with my 10th and 8th graders. I have my own workbook and take quizzes and tests right along with them! Kinda fun!

Something close to "jo" is how I've taught it. Same with the double l; "llamo" is pronounced close to "jahmo." I learned Spanish from a Cuban, so I suppose that's why.

I only know Cuban Spanish and I say 'jo' (sort of like 'dyo' if you smoosh the d and y together really fast).

:iagree: as does my Puerto Rican/Dominican DH.