Menu

2nd Grade? What Are You Using ?

StartingOver

I love this time of year, when I start looking for what I want to use next year ( we purchase in February ). What are you using for 2nd? I know I will be using Sonlight Core C ( secularly ), Singapore Math, SOTW, Elemental Science Earth and Astronomy, All About Spelling, First Language Lessons & WWE. We are also purchasing a telescope and rock tumbler. We have a great microscope already. I need to find science and history readers and read alouds. I am unsure of where I want to head with Latin after SSL. Anyone have readers, read alouds they love, or Latin suggestions? Fun hands on things to go with Medieval that just aren't to miss?

*MEP Math yr 2; Some Miquon (hands-on supplement); LoF (just started)

*Webster's Speller and JOY Cursive + Copycat Books Proverbs copywork

*CHOW for our history spine

*BFSU for science with his 9yo brother

*We will start I Speak Latin after the holidays, and be memorizing grammar forms with a vintage book I found (again with his 9yo brother, I'll make it fun) -- I think GSWL would work too, but I'm saving for after ISL for this son. I expect to use these two Latin books over 2 years.

*We are trying out HUFI year 2 for this month (the first week went great), that will cover all reading (history, geography, literature, nature science). We've covered much of the Burgess Animal Book so we are subbing the James Herriot Treasury and the Burgess Bird Book from year 1.

I can't recommend the James Herriot Treasury for Children highly enough. Saint George and the Dragon is also a huge hit here. You might check out the book Backyard Ballistics, it has some fun projects, including a trebuchet/catapult. I think the model is a Greek one, but it covers the history and different styles, so it might be a nice fit for the medieval times.

I also want a small model of the human skeleton, some science kits (magnets, maybe a microscope), more field guides (rocks, insects, tracks, etc.) and I really want a good telescope (this is probably my first educational priority next year after books). I'm waiting for February as well. :D

When Ariel did second grade work, we used:

Oak Meadow 2nd Grade plus a lot of nature/zoology videos (Ariel is a zoology nut), and GEMS Involving Dissolving, Liquid Explorations, Secret Formulas (she likes chemistry, too) and Buzzing a Hive. We also experimented with BFSU and the first part of SOTW2, but just couldn't get into it.

Math Mammoth

Jolly Grammar, AAS, and Winning with Writing

Getting Started with Spanish

For readers, I bought one of the Who in the World... books from PHP and found it well done. I assume the others in the series would be comparable. There is also Favorite Medieval Tales by Mary Pope Osborne, and I bought several picture books of Shakespeare's plays by Bruce Coville.

For Latin, I'm considering Minimus Latin, Lively Latin, or Latin for Children, but then again, I may put it off until age 10 or 11, do Latin Prep and keep doing Spanish for now. Ah, decisions. If only I had an infinite amount of time and unlimited funds, so we could do everything!

As far as hands on stuff for medieval studies, I bought a mosaic kit and card stock castle to assemble, and Ariel dressed up as Boudicca, complete with blue paint, for Halloween, and she even carried a purse of Celtic "ring money" that were actually washers. I would have spray painted them gold, but I decided it was too much effort. :tongue_smilie:

Math: Combo of Singapore, MM, and Miquon

Phonics/Grammar: Phonics Road 2

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting

History/Geography/Lit/Vocab/Bible/Worldview: Tapestry of Grace yr2

Spanish: BJU (it is just ok)

Logic: Critical Thinking Activities book

Art: Artistic Pursuits book 2

Science: Apologia Zoology 1 and maybe part of 2 if we get that far this year.

PE: Ballet

Music: Hasn't happened yet, but we will be getting the Piano Wizard program this spring and starting piano.

It's in my siggy but if I had it to do over again.... lol I would probably stay the same.. I am switching out Growing with Grammar for the Easy Grammar next year and Evan Moor's Daily Language Review for the Daily Grams.. Glad we did a year on the whole crossing out the prepositions.. because it will help later but it is enough for now..

Everything we have done thos year has worked great, we will be sticking with the same programs, just moving up a level.

R&S English 3

SM 3a and b with IP and CWP, unless we finish Life of Fred this summer, we will continue with the elementary books, or read them all again.

SOTW 2

RS4K chemistry pre-level 1 and the science section of What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know

Spelling Plus, finish second grade and continue with third grade lists

Continue learning cursive.

Daily silent reading.

We will be getting a piano from my parents, so we will start piano lessons.

Continue with dance, gymnastics, and theatre.

I love this time of year, when I start looking for what I want to use next year ( we purchase in February ). What are you using for 2nd? I know I will be using Sonlight Core C ( secularly ), Singapore Math, SOTW, Elemental Science Earth and Astronomy, All About Spelling, First Language Lessons & WWE. We are also purchasing a telescope and rock tumbler. We have a great microscope already. I need to find science and history readers and read alouds. I am unsure of where I want to head with Latin after SSL. Anyone have readers, read alouds they love, or Latin suggestions? Fun hands on things to go with Medieval that just aren't to miss?

My 2nd Grader uses:

Abeka Arithmetic 2

WWE2

ETC 4

CLE LA

Reason For Handwriting

Song School Latin (love this!)

OPGTR (almost done)

TOG Writing Aids

TOG History, Geography, Literature

Weekly Reader Map Skills

Real Science Odyessy

My current 2nd grader is using (let's see if I can list it all without editing 4 times!):

Moving Beyond the Page 7-9 (science and social studies only)

History Odyssey Ancients 1

Apples and Pears spelling

WWE

Grammar-Land

LoF Elementary

Singapore Math

I got Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor and it's on the easy side. We're using it anyway.

We also have WriteShop Primary B which we love, but I had to start working more hours so it got cut. :(

For reading we're doing a Beverly Cleary unit (a short biography, the Ralph Mouse books, and Socks) and I think we'll try out the My Father's Dragon books. If we get through that we'll just read some of the Sonlight readers.

No advice for Latin. My oldest did SSL in grade 3 and is now using Lively Latin in grade 4. I LOVE LL, but I have no idea what it's like for a second grader.

Let's see...

MM

Aha!Science + nature notebook

Bringing Up Learners (Mosaic) World History (with narrations)

HWT

WWW, GWG, SSV (between these and HWT, there is plenty of writing)

My k-2 homeschool is really very basic and focuses on 3 Rs. I don't do a whole lot.

Thanks Ladies, some new things here to look into ! This 2nd grader ( By work not age ) is very advanced so Lively Latin is an option, I am stuck between it and Latin for Children, or something else. I am going to have to look into Growing With Grammar for sure, and Winning With Writing. Lollipop Logic is another I will have to check out, or another Logic. I forgot to mention that we are doing Artistic Pursuits again too. Off to check out Homeschool Ninja's link. ;-)

Lollipop Logic is another I will have to check out, or another Logic.

For Quince?? I would look into something else. Big girl completed that in 2 very short sittings when she just turned 4 years old.

ETA: I wrote this in regards to Lollipop Logic 1, I don't know about LL2.:D

Edited by MissKNG

Lollipop Logic is another I will have to check out, or another Logic.

For Quince?? I would look into something else. Big girl completed that in 2 very short sittings when she just turned 4 years old.
OK that answers that !! Thanks. It is hard to have a child like Quince, and I think Emma is going to out do him. I have to remind myself to breath, a lot ! Edited by StartingOver

Lollipop Logic is another I will have to check out, or another Logic. OK that answers that !! Thanks. It is hard to have a child like Quince, and I think Emma is going to out do him. I have to remind myself to breath, a lot !

We are using Primary Logic and she is bored with that too! I tried to have her do some a month ago and she screamed (LOUDLY) "THIS IS BOOOOOOOOOORING! IT'S TOO EASY!!!!!!!!!!"

My DD starts 2nd in January. We've already started some things because we finished 1st early. I'm super excited, the workload is going up a bit though.

Here's the plan so far:

LA- CW Primers and LLATL Yellow, Literature and poetry from Ambleside Online Y2

Math - Singapore 2B/3A, Miquon and Living Maths/Logic

History - Ambleside Online Y2 and HTTA Timeline Figures

Geography - Charlotte Mason Elementary Geography

Science - BFSU

Language - Rosetta Stone Russian

Music - continue Violin lessons and add Piano lessons. Composer study.

Art - focus mostly on drawing this year, I have a set of great books I picked up locally. Plus Mark Kistler online. CW Primers includes picture study.

Memory work - Bible verses. And any poetry/passages we come across that we like.

Bible is informal, simply reading it.

That's it. :)

My 2nd grader is using:

Math: Singapore 2B-3A

Reading: Sonlight and various other books

Writing: Cursive copywork, journal, and independent writing using the writing process

Literature/History: Sonlight Core 2/Core C

Science: Using living books to study anatomy and botony

French: L'art de Lire 1-2

Art: ARTistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1 & studying one artist per quarter

Music: piano lessons & studying one composer per quarter

Extra: ballet & gymnastics

My current 2nd grader is using (let's see if I can list it all without editing 4 times!):

Moving Beyond the Page 7-9 (science and social studies only)

History Odyssey Ancients 1

Apples and Pears spelling

WWE

Grammar-Land

LoF Elementary

Singapore Math

I got Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor and it's on the easy side. We're using it anyway.

We also have WriteShop Primary B which we love, but I had to start working more hours so it got cut. :(

For reading we're doing a Beverly Cleary unit (a short biography, the Ralph Mouse books, and Socks) and I think we'll try out the My Father's Dragon books. If we get through that we'll just read some of the Sonlight readers.

No advice for Latin. My oldest did SSL in grade 3 and is now using Lively Latin in grade 4. I LOVE LL, but I have no idea what it's like for a second grader.

I am considering MBTP for my second grader next year. How do you like it? Would you recommend History Odyssey, and does it fit well with MBTP?

my son is in grade 2. here's what we're doing.

ENGLISH - Rod & Staff 2 (orally)

SPELLING - All About Spelling 2

MATH - Christian Light Education

PHONICS - Hooked on Phonics Grade 2

WRITING - Winning with Writing 2

SCIENCE - Singapore (for grades 1 & 2), Let's Read & Find Out About" books, and Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers (1 & 2)

HISTORY - Adventures in America (elementalhistory.com)

for geography, i just use an atlas and globe and we kind of make up our own thing. for bible, we expand on what he's learning in sunday small group. He also is in boyscouts & is about to begin upward basketball.

We are taking 2nd grade and spreading it over a yr and a half (same with 3rd grade). This is what we are using now but will add things as curriculum gets finished.

SOTW 1

FLL2

WWE1, last half

WWE 2, first half

REAL Science, Life

Sing Song Latin

New Webster Spelling 2

Math Journal getting ideas from The Silver Burdett Arithmetic, Using Arithmetic 3, and Maximum Math

SL Readers 4-5

2nd grade Old School Readers

I will not have a 2nd grader until next year but I am going to use:

BIBLE-- MFW Bible and Awana

MATH-- Horizons 2 and either Singapore Standards Edition 2A and 2B or Kitchen table math

HISTORY-- MFW Creation to Greeks (the history, science and Bible) plus ALOT of books to go with this for literature/reading

SCIENCE-- Christian Kids Explore Biology (I am keeping him and his brother who will be in 1st grade together, that's why we are going to be a year behind the WTM cycle with ds)

HANDWRITING-- A Reason for Handwriting B

SPELLING-- Continue with All About Spelling. Not sure where we will be though.

Reading/Phonics-- He may be finishing up Phonics Pathways (he is my SN kiddo and he struggles with this) plus continuing with Explode The Code (again, not sure what books we will be in for 2nd grade)

We are just going to do some very light grammar concepts as we go through our year. I will teach him this with his dictations and narrations slowly. Nothing formal though yet.

plus copywork and dictation from various sources (lit, science, history, Bible)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

We will be transitioning to 2nd grade over the winter/spring. This is also my dyslexic kiddo so there is a lot of language work to help it stick. :)

Phonics: SRA Phonics 3

Writing: WWE 2 modified, Draw Write Now

Cursive: NAC 2

Spelling: AAS 3

Grammar: FLL 2

Readers: Sonlight Readers 2 & Library books

Latin: SSL or Prima Latina (maybe, haven't decided yet)

Math: MM 2A & B

Science: Supercharged Science

History: SOTW 2

Bible: Telling God's Story 2

Rod and Staff 2nd: Math, English, Spelling, Phonics, Penmanship

Reading: readers like Amelia Bedelia currently. Lit: too much to list! I am currently in the middle of an Advent Bible Study with them, a King Arthur book, and many history and science related books.

Story of the World vol. 4 w/A.G... mostly geography, extra stories, a little narration, and coloring sheets I find online when I can.

Science: a mish mash. We have been finishing up Chemistry using Adventures w/Atoms and Molecules. She also picks things on her level from the library to read about along the Magic Schoolbus lines. We will be starting physics in the next semester.

Art: Drawing with Children, a co-op class, and various crafts and skills

Music: Rod and Staff music worksheets, Alfred Piano, What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know for music units

My 2nd grader is my tag along. My older child is more on the WTM cycles as described in the book.

Reason for Handwriting Transition

Rod and Staff Spelling 2

Calvert Math (not bad but not great...moving to Saxon next year)

Abeka Phonics

Abeka Language (half the book, when the book starts requiring writing every day we will switch to PLL which has a more sensible way of teaching writing using copywork and dictation.)

Kumon Addition (because Calvert doesn't drill)

PLL toward the end of the year.

Abeka Science, Health

CHOW

We pretty much love how it's going. Her favorite subjects are Science and Handwriting.

Two second grade boys, one with hFA. Both are pretty close on material and skills right now, with the hFA child less capable when it comes to independent reading and phonics.

MEP 2

MM worksheets for drill (we have a set routine for this)

KISS Grammar 2nd Grade with readings from Grammarland

Wheeler's Elementary Speller for spelling, dictation and copywork

CW Aesop for narration, vocabulary, composition

Jacob's Ladder in concert with CW for reading comprehension work

Word Mastery is almost done for phonics, will be transitioning over to Webster's Speller this January for syllable work.

Reading-McGuffey First Reader for oral reading, but I have a number of readers for use to make things interesting.

Literature-We do a read aloud weekly, but I'd like to be doing a little more with poetry.

Memory-Poetry memorization every two to three weeks.

History-working on this. We have SOTW 2, but I've been reading An Island Story, and we've been narrating from this.

Science-Almost finished with minerals and rocks: Using The Story of Rocks and Minerals by Fairbanks (a vintage book selection). When done we will move into Atmospheric Science, which I'm currently building. We will likely keep a weather journal, study cloud species, and do some in-depth stuff on weather phenomena. Astronomy, Oceanography will follow in spring and summer.

Penmanship-Starting Getty-Dubay Cursive in Late December/January.

So far everything has been really good. I'm still trying to get history to suit me. I really don't care for the flow of the SOTW 2 book, it seems to shift too much. But I like the scope. So I'll probably keep using it to keep me on track and use vintage and library resources to fill in where I want to.

I'm still not entirely decided between MFW Adv and HOD Beyond for 2nd grade. I already purchased Adv and then found Beyond for $20 at a curriculum fair and couldn't pass it up. I guess I should stick with the initial plan for Adv.

MFW Adventures

Elemental Science Earth Science (in place of MFW Science)

GWG 2

WWE 2

AAS 2/3

MUS Beta for dd

Singapore 3B/4A for ds

LOF Elementary Books (E-H)

I consider my son to be 2nd grader even though he is turning 7 in a month. Here is what he does:

R&S English 2

Spelling Power Level D

Singapore math US 3A

Getting Started with Latin (now at Lesson 108)

Ma Liping Chinese first grade

WWE 2

RSO Chemistry

Apologia Botany and Zoo 1

Mark Kistler online drawing lessons

Piano at home with dad

Sheppard software geography: Central and South America, Middle East, Europe

Bible: Read alouds from The Graphic Bible and The Jesus Storybook Bible covering the Old Testament, Testament Bible in Animation DVD series, memory work, read alouds missionary biographies (Imprisoned in the Golden City - Adoniram Judson ,Lights in Lisuland (Isobel Kuhn), Sundar Singh, Gospel According to TL and Daisy), OT Bible stories from Adventures in Odyssey, and listening to a dramatized reading of the OT.

History: Short studies on ancient Philistines, ancient Phoenicians, ancient Assyrians, ancient Persians, and ancient Scythians. In-depth study (home-made) on ancient Greece including ancient Greece myths, the story of Troy, and Aesop's fables. Canada A People's History DVD series, some adapted portions of Basic, Not Boring US History Grades 6-8 workbook

Geography: In-depth studies on Thailand and Sri Lanka. Study on Buddhism. Maps, Charts, and Graphs: United States and Its Neighbors Level E, Maps, Chart, and Graphs: United States Past and Present Level H

Math: Singapore 2B and 3A with Intensive Practice and Complex Word Problems, Double Tangoes Puzzle Game, living math books, math related videos, and Road Rally Race for math facts.

Science: In-depth mammal classification study and physics study. (Both home-made)

Logic: Grid Perplexors A, Chess Kids curriculum

Foreign Language: Alif Baa and Arabian Sinbad for Arabic. My First Chinese Reader 1, Chinese with Mike, online tone practice for Mandarin, Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek 3

Art: Informal study with art projects on Michelangelo, Salvador Dali, and Monet. Free weekly art exploration time.

Music: Alfred Kid's Guitar Course, Connect the Thoughts composer study on Bach, Handel, and Mendelssohn. Informal study on the Beatles, U2, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Music Ace Deluxe for music theory.

PE: An average of 1 hour of active (sweat-producing) play required each school day.

Speech/Language: Tasks of Problem Solving - Elementary

Language Arts:

Grammar: Operation English Grammar Lapbook, Grammar Rock videos from Youtube, living books, and Rod and Staff 2

Handwriting: The Champion Method of Practical Business Writing (vintage program available online) and copywork

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Cartoons and Rummy Roots

Phonics: Rod and Staff Grade 2

Writing: Rod and Staff 2, blogging, and writing to pen pals

Typing: Mavis Beacon

Literature and Reading: Selected list of classic reading books and read alouds.

Spelling: Finish Rod and Staff 2. Start Rod and Staff 3. Practice spelling misspelled words from Webster's speller.

I am considering MBTP for my second grader next year. How do you like it? Would you recommend History Odyssey, and does it fit well with MBTP?

The science and social studies portion of MBtP has worked well so far for my middle ds who is very hands-on. While MBtP does include workbook pages, it is not as sit-down-and-fill-in-the-blanks as many people assume. Off the top of my head, a few of the activities we have done using MBtP 6-8 or 7-9 are:

go to the park and make a map including a compass rose and legend

make a barometer and a weather vane

record weather, temperature, rainfall for 1 or 2 weeks

make popcorn balls (with maple syrup) after discussing natural resources

go on a rock hunt after reading Everybody Needs a Rock

Also, as for the worksheets my ds has done, not all worksheets are bad. Graphing data or making a venn diagram are examples of pages that might be found in the workbook.

My oldest ds has done some of the literature units. He enjoyed them and often asked to do them first. I can't say I'll buy any more (though I may reuse parts of some of the units we already own). While there were some meaningful activities and some very well laid out writing "assignments," I found the LA to be generally lacking a plan or structure. The spelling was based on content, not rules or most common words. (For instance, if the science portion is about states of matter, solid, liquid and gas might end up being some of the spelling words.) Grammar is not sequential or thorough. Study of literary elements is not thorough or consistent. To me, it looked like this is how they came up with their LA:

First they planned out their Science and S.S.

Then they picked novels that went along with their Science and S.S.

Then they went through the novels and thought up LA activities that would go with them.

It didn't seem like they started out with any particular goals with regard to what and how much they would cover in their LA other than the number of novels and possibly the number of writing assignments.

Now about History Odyssey. Does HO go with MBtP? No. Does it go against it? No. MBtP teaches very little history at first. They have a video about their Social Studies here. I think they do ancients in fifth grade and middle ages in 6th? They cover other Social Studies topics like geography and civics in 7-9 level. If you want to do a WTM or WTM-like history cycle then you would need to add history in. For us that's History Odyssey, but I don't think HO would go with MBtP any better or worse than any other history program.

Is MBtP plus a history program too much? Maybe. I think somewhere it is recommended to only buy 2 MBtP concepts if you are using it as a supplement. We bought 4 for this year and I don't think we will get through it all, BUT I am working more than I thought I would, so that affects how much we can get done in a week (and science and s.s just can't come before math and LA). I guess that's a long way of saying, "I don't know." One option is to buy it one concept at a time so you know you're not buying more than you can do.

The science and social studies portion of MBtP has worked well so far for my middle ds who is very hands-on. While MBtP does include workbook pages, it is not as sit-down-and-fill-in-the-blanks as many people assume. Off the top of my head, a few of the activities we have done using MBtP 6-8 or 7-9 are:

go to the park and make a map including a compass rose and legend

make a barometer and a weather vane

record weather, temperature, rainfall for 1 or 2 weeks

make popcorn balls (with maple syrup) after discussing natural resources

go on a rock hunt after reading Everybody Needs a Rock

Also, as for the worksheets my ds has done, not all worksheets are bad. Graphing data or making a venn diagram are examples of pages that might be found in the workbook.

My oldest ds has done some of the literature units. He enjoyed them and often asked to do them first. I can't say I'll buy any more (though I may reuse parts of some of the units we already own). While there were some meaningful activities and some very well laid out writing "assignments," I found the LA to be generally lacking a plan or structure. The spelling was based on content, not rules or most common words. (For instance, if the science portion is about states of matter, solid, liquid and gas might end up being some of the spelling words.) Grammar is not sequential or thorough. Study of literary elements is not thorough or consistent. To me, it looked like this is how they came up with their LA:

First they planned out their Science and S.S.

Then they picked novels that went along with their Science and S.S.

Then they went through the novels and thought up LA activities that would go with them.

It didn't seem like they started out with any particular goals with regard to what and how much they would cover in their LA other than the number of novels and possibly the number of writing assignments.

Now about History Odyssey. Does HO go with MBtP? No. Does it go against it? No. MBtP teaches very little history at first. They have a video about their Social Studies here. I think they do ancients in fifth grade and middle ages in 6th? They cover other Social Studies topics like geography and civics in 7-9 level. If you want to do a WTM or WTM-like history cycle then you would need to add history in. For us that's History Odyssey, but I don't think HO would go with MBtP any better or worse than any other history program.

Is MBtP plus a history program too much? Maybe. I think somewhere it is recommended to only buy 2 MBtP concepts if you are using it as a supplement. We bought 4 for this year and I don't think we will get through it all, BUT I am working more than I thought I would, so that affects how much we can get done in a week (and science and s.s just can't come before math and LA). I guess that's a long way of saying, "I don't know." One option is to buy it one concept at a time so you know you're not buying more than you can do.

This is very helpful--thank you!

We'll also transition into this during the spring (we school year-round):

Miquon + MEP

FLL2 with some writing exercises from Primary Language Lessons

WWE2

All About Spelling

Prima Latina

NIV Discoverer's Bible

continuing Prairie Primer (Little House series unit study)

I have a reading and read-aloud booklist

The Ancients with her older siblings

Physics with her older siblings

There are reading lists in TWM. Also Books Kids Will Sit Still For is a great resource. mensa for kids has reading lists. Ambleside is good. Jim Trelease's book is great. Deconstructing Penguins is a good resource.

For history we use Story of The World. Living Math is great for math books and the reading list is free.