Menu

Mechanical vs. wood pencils (for you)?

I switched to these http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Mechanical-Starter-34666PP/dp/B001PV2KYM

Only I bought the .9mm lead.

All my children use them and no breakage (even the 6yo)

I do have a super strict rule about the pencils NEVER, EVER leaving the classroom table. I have cheap mechanical pencils for other things outside of the classroom.

Lara

Mechanical pencil, .05 lead. I hate writing with a tip that isn't sharp, and I'd have to sharpen too often if it was wooden. I also am sure to have quality pencils for me so that the lead doesn't break too often.

Exactly my position. You should see me trying to buy pens. :svengo:

Only mechanical. I have sensory issues and a bad pencil grip so I always had a large, knobby callous on my fourth finger from holding the pencil too tightly. Mechanical pencils won't allow me to grip so hard (the lead would break). Using mechanical has allowed me to drastically relax my grip and eliminate hand cramps. I agree that the cheaper brands can be scratchy, and for me that sensation is like running your fingernails on a blackboard. The more moderately priced brands don't seem to have this effect.

Wood pencils--specifically Mirado Black Warriors. They have a silky feel on the paper, sharpen beautifully, and the lead doesn't become loose inside and break when the pencil is dropped. Mechanical is too easy to break, makes too thin a line, and feels scratchy. I also don't like the way a plastic mech. pencil feels in my hand.

I prefer mechanical with the largest lead (.9). But I recently picked up some sharpie liquid graphite pencils. They don't get good reviews on amazon.com, but I've found them to be great. They write liked pen, but erase like a pencil and don't smear like the old erasable pens I used in school.

I prefer mechanical with the largest lead (.9). But I recently picked up some sharpie liquid graphite pencils. They don't get good reviews on amazon.com, but I've found them to be great. They write liked pen, but erase like a pencil and don't smear like the old erasable pens I used in school.

Oh, we just saw those tonight. Ds and I went to Walmart to find pens for writing Hiragana. It was a great moment, mother and son bonding in the writing utensil aisle. *sniff*:D

I'll have to try those pencils. The Bic pencils I use have a larger barrel and a rubber grip.

If I am doing math (or anything else that needs to be kept neat), a mechanical pencil with .5mm lead keeps everything neat and tidy. A regular pencil can't really get that thin without breaking. For a while that's all I used, but I have rediscovered wood pencils lately and find they are quite nice for scribbling down a list or writing in something (like a calendar or planner) that might get erased and rewritten in later.

I prefer mechanical pencils for writing, but I have banned them from school in the Guheert residence. Why? Besides Reg is an Ogre? Yes, and the kids kept dropping them which would break the lead. Then the leads would fall out and get into the couch cushions and the cracks in the hardwood floors. Or they would get underneath the chair mats and then lead would get smeared all over the wood floors.

They are allowed to use mechanical pencils if they are doing school work in the car. That way they do not need a pencil sharpener.

OTOH, MomsintheGarden does not like wooden pencils because the children insist on rolling them back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... You get the idea! :tongue_smilie:

I prefer mechanical pencils for writing, but I have banned them from school in the Guheert residence. Why? Besides Reg is an Ogre? Yes, and the kids kept dropping them which would break the lead. Then the leads would fall out and get into the couch cushions and the cracks in the hardwood floors. Or they would get underneath the chair mats and then lead would get smeared all over the wood floors.

They are allowed to use mechanical pencils if they are doing school work in the car. That way they do not need a pencil sharpener.

OTOH, MomsintheGarden does not like wooden pencils because the children insist on rolling them back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... You get the idea! :tongue_smilie:

Dixon Tri-Conderogas don't roll as easily :D. I prefer these because they are a little bit fatter than regular pencils and feel better in my often achy hands.

If I could figure out how to use a mechanical pencil I would use one, but I can't ever get the lead to stay in the right place.

If you use a regular wood pencil, there are grips you can buy to put on them. We have several but the boys don't like them so they don't use them.

Dawn

Oh, we just saw those tonight. Ds and I went to Walmart to find pens for writing Hiragana. It was a great moment, mother and son bonding in the writing utensil aisle. *sniff*:D

I'll have to try those pencils. The Bic pencils I use have a larger barrel and a rubber grip.

These are nice fude pens. We have several.