Menu

How can I make an awesome apple pie?

Come on, share your tips. I'm taking apple pie to Thanksgiving, and I want it to be FANTASTIC. I know apple pie is standard, but if everyone can give their little tips, I can put them all together to get the best pie evah!

So, crust tips, recipes, apple variety suggestions, anything. Help me wow my family, ladies.

I have an atypical response to this question, I think.

'Ya know how frozen grocery store pies have apple "goo" in the filling along with the apples? Well, I like that. I don't like apple pies where it's dry-ish apple slices with runny juice. I want lots of (not mushy) apples, coated with apple-y, cinnamon-y gooey sauce to help them hold together. The recipe I use calls for cooking the apples along with other filling ingredients on the stove, thickening to desired consistency, and then pouring into the crust and baking.

If you'd like a recipe like that, I'll post it.

My feelings won't be hurt though, if that's not what you're looking for. :tongue_smilie:

I use a recipe in the Joy of Cooking for my crust, called Pate Brisee. It uses a lot of butter and very little shortening. It is similar to this recipe, although I don't use sugar and I add 1/4 cup shortening.

My rule (which I think I learned from Martha Stewart at some point) is to make pie crust cold and quick. So I cut my butter into cubes and freeze it for several hours before I make the crust. I also put my shortening in the frige and I use ice water.

I use my food processor, and I don't over process it. When I take the crust out of the processor, it's a pile of crumbs (that hold together when I pinch them) but still crumbs. I dump it out onto Saran Wrap and I use the wrap to push the crumbs into a disc. I then divide it and put it into the fridge.

ETA: I also make sure the crust is plenty wet. Meaning it holds together well when I pitch it. Nothing is more tedious to deal with than a dry pie crust.

The butter in this recipe make the crust tasty (shortening tastes like NOTHING) and it's tender and flaky.

My other tip for an apple pie is to avoid using cinnamon in the fruit. I use only nutmeg and vanilla powder. I feel like cinnamon over-powers the apples.

Also--I put in plenty of flour with my apples. I don't like a soupy apple pie, so I usually put in more flour than any recipe calls for.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Jana

'Ya know how frozen grocery store pies have apple "goo" in the filling along with the apples? Well, I like that. I don't like apple pies where it's dry-ish apple slices with runny juice. I want lots of (not mushy) apples, coated with apple-y, cinnamon-y gooey sauce to help them hold together. The recipe I use calls for cooking the apples along with other filling ingredients on the stove, thickening to desired consistency, and then pouring into the crust and baking.

My feelings won't be hurt though, if that's not what you're looking for. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I would like the recipe :D. I like goo too.

YES! THAT is what I'm looking for! Oh pleeeeeease post the recipe!

I couldn't agree with you more about what a good apple pie is. That was the whole reason I posted! I had this picture in my mind of my dry, bland apple pie being served at Thanksgiving, and feeling disappointed that I didn't know how to make an apple pie like one that you buy! But darn it, I want to MAKE it, not BUY it.

So PLEASE, share!

(Oh, and btw Julie, I read your post on the homeschool graduates thread, and both of your graduated boys sound just wonderful. Thank you for sharing. :))

YES! THAT is what I'm looking for! Oh pleeeeeease post the recipe!

I couldn't agree with you more about what a good apple pie is. That was the whole reason I posted! I had this picture in my mind of my dry, bland apple pie being served at Thanksgiving, and feeling disappointed that I didn't know how to make an apple pie like one that you buy! But darn it, I want to MAKE it, not BUY it.

So PLEASE, share!

(Oh, and btw Julie, I read your post on the homeschool graduates thread, and both of your graduated boys sound just wonderful. Thank you for sharing. :))

That's nice of you to say about my boys. I think they're wonderful too! I try not to brag though...:blush:

Ok, here's the recipe:

Prepare a deep dish pie crust (I won't tell if you use Pillsbury refrigerated!).

In a small bowl, whisk together:

5 tablespoons apple juice

5 tablespoons cornstarch

Into a large pot on the stove, put:

8 cups apple slices (I like granny smith & fuji)

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup apple juice

4 tablespoons butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cook the apples, stirring often, until the apples begin to soften & release their juice. While the apples are still slightly crisp, and the juices are boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture, cooking just until the "goo" is thickened. If your apples are super-duper juicy, you can quickly mix a bit more of the juice & cornstarch mixture and add it until the filling is the desired consistency, but hurry, so you don't overcook your filling.

Pour the apple filling into your crust, heaping high in the center, and top however you wish. I usually make a crunchy crumb topping:

Into food processor, and process just until pea-sized:

1 cup flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 stick butter--cold & cut into pieces

Heap crumb topping over apples and bake on lowest oven rack @ 350* just until browned & bubbly.

They will RAVE if you make this one!

Apple Cream Pie

9†crust

4 cups apples, thinly sliced (I use Gala)

Filling

1 ¼ cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup half and half (or whipping cream)

Topping

½ cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

½ stick butter or margarine

Spread apples over crust. Combine dry filling ingredients in a bowl then whisk in cream and vanilla. Pour over apples. Mix flour and sugar together in a small bowl, then work in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over pie.

Wrap a thin strip of aluminum foil like a loose tent around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Bake 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake until middle is bubbly and apples are tender (time depends on apples and how thin they are sliced—maybe an hour?)

Well I make the grandma ople pie on allrecipes.com but I kick it up about 3 notches with a homemade crust with a dab of sugar added, freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. I don't pour the caramel over the crust like they do. I just mix the ingredients with apples and dump it all in. Then I lay the crust over, cut slits, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

The real kicker though, if you wanna wow people, is to go BIG. You know a 9X13 pan, right? Well I have a glass pan that's the next size up, something like a 10X14. It takes about a bag and a half of apples and I'd have to check on the crust, probably a solid double of the double crust recipe. When you make it like that, in the huge pan, with the crust over the top, it just gets so big and bubbly and amazing. And that way there's plenty for EVERYONE. I mean isn't the the worst, when your fabulous pie only feeds 8? So I make the pie huge to feed 25. :)

There you go, have fun. Don't forget the vanilla. It makes a huge difference. ;)

Ok, just for you, here goes.

Super Large Apple Pie

double double sweet crust (or Trader Joe's in a pinch)

1 1/4 c. unsalted butter

3/4 c. flour

2 1/2 T. cornstarch

5/8-2/3 c. water

1 1/4 c. white sugar

1 1/4 c. brown sugar

2 1/2 bags granny smith apples

4 tsp. cinnamon

1 1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 1/2 T. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425. Prep crusts and place bottom into large glass pan, 10X14. Prep apples, tossing with spices and vanilla. (I leave my peels on, do as you wish.) Melt butter and make sauce with flour, cornstarch, water, and sugars. Bring to boil and simmer a little. Pour over apples, toss to coat, and dump into crust pan. Top with 2nd crust. Cut slits and decorate with leftover crust. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 1 hr 25 min. Put a pan under to catch drips. Prepare to wow. :)

Double double sweet crust

*This is how I make it, and it's a bit ornery to work with honestly. It tastes so good, I put up with it.

3 1/2 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 c. sugar

1 c. butter

1/2 c. shortening (I use organic palm shortening, non-hydrogenated.)

8 T. water

Pulse all but water till coarse, smaller than peas. Add water and form ball with spatula. Do not knead! Pat into two flat discs. Wrap discs in plastic wrap and chill 30 min. Roll out gently.

Edited by OhElizabeth

This is our family's favorite pie crust.. Not extremely healthy though.. lol We usually wing the filling so I don't have that..

One thing we do to make pies extra special.. (in addition to fluting the edge) is to cut out the words APPLE PIE from thinly rolled extra pie dough and attach them to the top of the pie brushed with water. I use alphabet Jello jigglers molds that were a promotion of theirs years ago but alphabet cookie cutters would work too. It really is very cute!

Easy, No-Fail, Flaky & Delicious Pie Crust

3 cups flour

1 tsp. of salt

½ tsp. baking powder

1 ½ cups butter flavor shortening(Crisco)

1 egg, beaten

2 tbs. white vinegar

3 tbs. water

Combine flour, salt and baking powder in bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whip together beaten egg, vinegar and water until well mixed; stir into flour mixture. Dough will look wet.. let it rest for about 10 minutes so the flour can absorb the moisture. Use a little extra flour on hands and dough to roll out.

Notes: This dough freezes very well. In disks of dough to be thawed and rolled out or already rolled out and in the pan. My MIL likes to keep an unbaked shell in the freezer for a quick one crust pie. She and I also put premade unbaked pies in the freezer each year and then bake them from frozen. We've done apple, blueberry, blackberry, peach, and cherry. They turn out way better than Mrs. Smith's;-)

Note: The secret to great pie crust is to measure ingredients accurately and not “worry†the dough. After you add the liquid, try to work it as little as possible. Kneading and re-rolling, etc. is what makes it tough.

Julie, why the lowest rack in the oven???

Because the apple filling is pre-cooked, it doesn't require a very long baking time. You want that bottom crust to get cooked before your apples are *over* cooked. :001_smile: Probably depends on your pan also. I use an Emile Henry, which is very thick ceramic, and another knock-off that's similar. For a metal pan, I imagine you'd want to keep a close eye on it.

That's exactly how we like it, and how I make it. Yum.

Here's mine, it's a bit different.

Assemble any apple pie but instead of a top crust, melt a stick of butter, add about a cup of oats, some raisins and chopped up pecans. Spread this over the top. Then cut out leaf shapes from pie crust and arrange them around the edge of the pie. Delicious and beautiful.

Apple pie is a favorite around here! I would use the Cook's Illustrated apple pie recipes. My tips mostly taken from them:

- Use the Cook's Illustrated pie crust which uses Crisco and butter in the crust. The butter gives taste while the Crisco lets the crust sink onto the apples so you aren't left with an empty dome on top of the pie.

- Use mini cookie cutters to cut fall shapes out of the top crust. You can place the cut-outs onto the crust for double decoration. Very cute!

- Brush the top crust with egg white and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar

- Brush egg white on bottom crust before filling pie

- Cook the pie using Cook's Illustrated methods: Preheat oven with cookie sheet in the lower middle position at 500. Once warm, reduce temp to 425 and put pie directly on top of cookie sheet for 25 minutes. Then lower temp to 375 and cook 25 min or until done.

I think a great pie needs a great crust. The methods listed above give me perfect crust every time. The cooking method is just a stroke of genius. I love Cook's Illustrated! They make me look like a fantastic cook. :D

There are a few things you can do to make it show-stopping:

1. lattice top - people think this is very difficult for some reasons, and so they are impressed by it, for bonus points add some apple or leaf shaped cut-outs

2. rustic - put some crumb top on it and fold the sides up over it all casual

3. caramel - there's something a bit more special about caramel apple pie

I like to make Paula's caramel apple cheesecake crumble-top bars, because they are way better than pie, but some will apparently object to the several sticks of butter in them. :lol:

I am agreeing with some PP's, I think it has a lot to do with the apples used and the cooking the filling on the stove top first. Full disclosure, I hate apple pie, can't stand the texture of the cooked apples (I'm good at being weird like that :D) However, I make the apple pies for all the holiday dinners for our family because everyone LOVES them. I cheat and buy frozen pie dough, use the one dough to make whatever for the top, like Thanksgiving I "carve" one into a turkey for on top the pie. Encase anyone needs more recipes to try out:

I use only Cortland apples.

1/2 c butter with 1/3 c sugar melted in a large skillet. Then you top with apples to fill the skillet. I sprinkle generously with cinnamon, mix the apples up and you let simmer until the apples are starting to soften... basically the smaller slices are kinda mushy but the bigger ones are firm yet. NORMALLY about 15 min. I stir them again at least once while they are cooking and sprinkle with more cinnamon. Then I scoop them into the pie crust however full you want them (I heap it) and top with second crust. I take the second crust and make shapes, a turkey, christmas tree, leaves, whatever, and put them on top.

I freeze my pies, but you can bake them right away, I think it's a half hour with foil on the edges, then another 15 min with the foil removed.

I get so many complements, even my MIL raves about it, and trust me, that's a big deal!! ;)