Menu

female content - need advice for dd

My 15yr old dd has a problem with her monthly time. She's only had her period 4-5 months but she's a dancer and can't seem to get the leaks controlled. It's bad enough she had to go right to internal protection but even with a Super Plus, she is still leaking.

Any suggestions? It's bad enough having to wear a leotard at that time, but to have to worry about leaking is horrible. Evidently her period is very heavy. Her recital is this weekend and one of her costumes is WHITE PANTS!!!!!

Anybody had problems with this? Her studio won't let the girls wear shorts during that time.

HELP!!!!!Suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Melissa

She needs to see an ob/gyn it is likely a hormonal imbalance that can be rectified through treatment. Do not let this go as she can become severely anemic within a short amount of time. I went into shock twice from this scenario and finally got on birth control pills that made me able to have a normal life.

I don't post a lot here, but to me this is a HUGE big deal. I dealt with a period that was way, way too heavy and long, and my cycles were one on top of the next, until after my 5th baby was born. My mother never did anything to help. In fact, she wouldn't even discuss it with me. Many months, I spent most of my time laying on a bed or sofa, trying not to have to run to the bathroom. If your dd can't go for over an hour without changing her protection...she needs to see a dr. Absolutely. Years of bleeding like that can cause your body to do all sorts of miserable things. I was ill all the time, and exhausted during that time of the month. If it is as bad as you say, don't let her go on like this without some help. :001_smile:

She needs to see an ob/gyn it is likely a hormonal imbalance that can be rectified through treatment. Do not let this go as she can become severely anemic within a short amount of time. I went into shock twice from this scenario and finally got on birth control pills that made me able to have a normal life.

When I read the OP I recognized my own daughter who is only 12 (and has had her cycle since July/07). She has it pretty heavy and long, 7 days. I keep wondering if this is normal. She is so young I don't want to traumatize her with unnecessary doctor's appointments but having suffered from severe anemia from the same reason I sure don't want that to happen to my young daughter.

Unfortunately I have no advice for extra protection during dance class.

When I started many years ago, mine was very heavy and at least 7 days long. My mom was worried, but the doc always told her that it was just normal for me. My only advise would be to change right before recital and try to wear a panitliner if that's at all possible. I do agree though that if she's soaking it in an hour, you should see your ob/gyn. Mine didn't get better until I went on birth control when I got married. At least it slowed down, and I didn't get as bad of cramps. Since kids it's nothing like it onece was. So, you might want to explore the b.c. option, but I know as a mom that would freak me out. So use your own discretion.

I agree with the doctor visit - but for the short term (aka, the recital), have her try the advil trick every 4 hours. I'm not sure how much she can take at that age - i take 4, but it will stop me from an every hour or less change, to every 4-5 hours! I miss that 4 hour mark and BAM, its everywhere.

But because of her age i wouldn't do it very more than the special occasion.

:grouphug:

The more than an hour thing is what my OBGYN goes by. If you are soaking a pad in under an hour, your flow is too heavy. Another thing that he told me was...if you have severe cramping and clotting, take an aspirin.signs135.gif Not necessarily pertinent to your dd, but just another tidbit to file away.

:iagree: with those who said, visit the ob/gyn. But...that probably won't help before the recital. :(

I might suggest trying her with a DivaCup or a Keeper, for the recital. (I LOVE my DivaCup, I don't even know I'm having a period except twice a day when I change it- even on my heaviest days). It is less prone to leak and has the added benefit of measuring her blood flow during that time. There is a line on it that measures the contents (ugh) in ounces. I know, TMI...but when she goes to the doc, this could be very useful information.

I don't know if it would help, but, it's an option. You can find them at Whole Foods or Earthfare around here, or a larger health food store may carry them also.

She has found that the super Playtex Sport works far better than the super playtex. She won't use anything else. SHe does put a fresh one in right before practice. Practice is 2 1/2 hours. It gets her through. I was always very heavy myself. I figure it is just genetic here. (Dd 2 has the same.) Give them a try and see if they help. If not, can she take a bathroom break to change out half-way through class? Maybe a panty liner in the leotard? I used to use them when I did gymnastics. Better a little liner mark than a big stain!

Ok, this might sound off topic, but I'd take her to a chiropractor. It's not a short term solution, but it may well fix things on the longer term. Young bodies, ok any body, shouldn't be on pills if there is some other solution. (Unfortunately pills are cheaper though.) If the nervous system has kinks in it, it isn't going to work properly. I'd go and have a good chat to a chiropractor. If they can't tell you what they can do about the problem, find another. I really don't think it's just a thing women have to put up with.

Rosie

If you decide that she needs medical help, you might consider a nurse practitioner if you can't find a good female ob/gyn. We had a nurse practitioner that was the greatest ever - she was so gentle and compassionate.

Anne

For a short term fix, if she'd be comfortable using it, what about trying Instead, with a pad for added backup/peace of mind?

The DivaCup or Keeper, that were mentioned, would be another option. All of the above mentioned do have a bit of a learning curve though, so I'd get it asap so she'd have some time to practice using it.

I'm going to chime in with the others and say that it could be the type of tampon. My girls have never used Playtex Sport, but OB seems to work better than any other brand.

That is a good point. My dd (a regular tampon user) had a sample of Playtex Sport that she tried - sometime in the past 9 months or so - she didn't like them at all. Why? because they leaked! Not all tampons are created equal, that's for certain.

If all an ob/gyn can do is put a girl on the contraceptive pill, sorry, I don't see that as a solution. You are stopping one problem but opening up a whole new world of potential problems. It masks an underlying issue, but doesn't actually deal with it, and can be the cause of many problems.

And it is normal for girls to get heavy periods as they are starting. I did. Not necessarily something 'wrong", even though we can do something about it.

I agree with Rosie's suggestion of a chiropractor- not a bad idea anyway for a dancer.

If there is a pain relief - iboprufen or whatever- that can help reduce flow, if it has that effect, I would be more likely to use that on the rare occasion that it may be essential for a performance.

And make sure shes not anaemic already.

Ok, this might sound off topic, but I'd take her to a chiropractor. It's not a short term solution, but it may well fix things on the longer term. Young bodies, ok any body, shouldn't be on pills if there is some other solution. (Unfortunately pills are cheaper though.) If the nervous system has kinks in it, it isn't going to work properly. I'd go and have a good chat to a chiropractor. If they can't tell you what they can do about the problem, find another. I really don't think it's just a thing women have to put up with.

Rosie

Keep in mind that chiropractors can cause stroke and paralysis through their spinal "adjustments". I wouldn't risk my child. Spines are nothing to mess around with.

I might suggest trying her with a DivaCup or a Keeper, for the recital. (I LOVE my DivaCup, I don't even know I'm having a period except twice a day when I change it- even on my heaviest days).

A word of caution regarding menstrual cups...

I am one who has extremely heavy periods and battles anemia as a result. I tried the Keeper menstrual cup believing the no-leaks promise. The truth is it can only hold so much. On my heaviest days I was overflowing the cup every 45 min to an hour. On heavy nights, I was getting up to empty it and change a full pad at least 2-3 times a night. Even on my moderate flow days the cup required emptying every 2-4 hours. A panty liner is not nearly sufficient back up to wear with a cup for women like me. That would be like spilling a quart of milk and trying to catch it with a tablespoon and one toilet paper square.

After about 6 months I was fed up with the cup. I can get more mileage from Super tampons and pads together. Plus running to empty the cup in public bathrooms every 45 minutes when I was away from home was not cool.:ack2: The cup was OK for light days which for me is only 3-4 days out of a 10 day period.

I don't have a good answer for the OP, so I will be following this thread with great interest. I hope whatever works for her daughter might work for me. I hate having to carry extra clothes with me during that time of the month. It seems like P-day always falls on the same day as my boy's scout meetings.

Keep in mind that chiropractors can cause stroke and paralysis through their spinal "adjustments". I wouldn't risk my child. Spines are nothing to mess around with.

Wow. I hadn't heard that before. Would be interested to know what kind of chiropractor does that sort of damage. Or was it more of a "chiropractor." I thought strokes were caused by blood clots. I didn't know kinks in the nervous system could cause blood clots. Year 11 biology was a long time ago, and I'm sure we didn't cover this anyway, so I'm no expert. I can say that I've had far more stupid advice from GPs than I've had from chiropractors, even the crappy ones I've seen.

I would suggest that we mess around with our own spines every day. My chiropractor treats my spine and nervous system better than I do. Regular treatment cured me of all period pain, so I think it is definately worth it; and I trust him enough that I've put my baby under his care, right from her fourth day of life. Obviously I recommend people see *trained* chiropractors.

I hope this post isn't out of place, but I think that was an unneccessary comment, wasn't backed up by any data at all and not by personal experience either, by the sounds of it. I also think there is far more risk for the original poster's daughter by putting her on pills at such a young age. If you have a recommendation better than drugs, hormones or chiropractors, everyone would like to know about it! It's something nearly all of us suffer with from some point. *urgh*

Rosie

Seeing the OB, checking for anemia - all good advice. The Pill? a very personal thing to consider...

But in the short term, it seems like trying different tampon brands makes a lot of sense. Isn't OB the one that gets bigger at one end instead of just a straight cylindrical (sp?) shape? I wonder if that would be helpful as pp suggested. My only other thought is I wonder if a good cotton cloth pad would help absorb more quickly than a regular disposable. Maybe it's worth trying a tampon and then a cloth pad with a disposable pad underneath (in case the cloth leaks too). The cloth would absorb quickly, the disposable would catch what soaked through? I'm sorry I don't have any links, but if you google cloth pads, or moon care, or other terms you should find some things. If you decide to try this look for some that snap on the other side of your underwear so they will stay in place better. Those made with PUL backing would be more "waterproof" that those with fleece or wool backing which are made to be more breathable.

Bless her heart! I hope it all goes well!!!

I've been known to use two super-plus tampons at once if I know I am on my heavy day and don't have access to a bathroom. I wouldn't do this except for this one occasion, though. TSS is still a very real danger.

I hope it all works out for you dd. This part of being a woman stinks.

Oh and I agree with the doc recommendation.

The more than an hour thing is what my OBGYN goes by. If you are soaking a pad in under an hour, your flow is too heavy. Another thing that he told me was...if you have severe cramping and clotting, take an aspirin.signs135.gif Not necessarily pertinent to your dd, but just another tidbit to file away.

I tried taking an aspirin once while having my period. never again. it thins the blood, causing more bleeding. I had to practically sit on the toilet for the whole week:glare:

My dd is almost 16 and has only had her period for about a year. She was able to get by just using a pad. Her dance studio would allow dance shorts so she was able to get by with it. Now that she is on the pom squad it is going to be a little more tricky. She has tried a tampon on a few occasions but just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Wow. I hadn't heard that before. Would be interested to know what kind of chiropractor does that sort of damage. Or was it more of a "chiropractor." I thought strokes were caused by blood clots. I didn't know kinks in the nervous system could cause blood clots. Year 11 biology was a long time ago, and I'm sure we didn't cover this anyway, so I'm no expert. I can say that I've had far more stupid advice from GPs than I've had from chiropractors, even the crappy ones I've seen.

I would suggest that we mess around with our own spines every day. My chiropractor treats my spine and nervous system better than I do. Regular treatment cured me of all period pain, so I think it is definately worth it; and I trust him enough that I've put my baby under his care, right from her fourth day of life. Obviously I recommend people see *trained* chiropractors.

I hope this post isn't out of place, but I think that was an unneccessary comment, wasn't backed up by any data at all and not by personal experience either, by the sounds of it. I also think there is far more risk for the original poster's daughter by putting her on pills at such a young age. If you have a recommendation better than drugs, hormones or chiropractors, everyone would like to know about it! It's something nearly all of us suffer with from some point. *urgh*

Rosie

:iagree: Rosie.

And I presume it is the same i the U.S., but my brother spent 5 years in university studying to be a chiropractor, and spends many weekends and whole weeks to keep his skills up to date each year.

Once upon a time, chiropractors could just put up a plaque and say thats what they did, but those days are long gone. They are highly professional and highly, university trained.

If the person who thinks chiros are quacks knew the actual figures of people who died unecessarily in hospitals each year due to being given the wrong medication or the wrong treatment or diagnosis- it is many thousands here in Australia (and thats the official figures), hate to think what it is over there- you would not be so trusting of the medical profession and so distrusting of other viable avenues of healing. I am far more nervous at going to hospital than visiting my chiro.

A good chiropractor is a very valuable thing and certainly worth a consideration for the OP.

:iagree: Rosie.

And I presume it is the same i the U.S., but my brother spent 5 years in university studying to be a chiropractor, and spends many weekends and whole weeks to keep his skills up to date each year.

Once upon a time, chiropractors could just put up a plaque and say thats what they did, but those days are long gone. They are highly professional and highly, university trained.

If the person who thinks chiros are quacks knew the actual figures of people who died unecessarily in hospitals each year due to being given the wrong medication or the wrong treatment or diagnosis- it is many thousands here in Australia (and thats the official figures), hate to think what it is over there- you would not be so trusting of the medical profession and so distrusting of other viable avenues of healing. I am far more nervous at going to hospital than visiting my chiro.

A good chiropractor is a very valuable thing and certainly worth a consideration for the OP.

I agree too Rosie and Peela. My dh has a great chiropractor. They can fix so many things. My neighbor just got back surgery (which is one of the top 5 surgeries you don't want to have according to a recent magazine article I just read in some women's magazine.) She is still in alot of pain. My dh says her troubles and pain are only just beginning. We know a man who had back surgery years ago and he is still in great pain. He regrets having the surgery. In many ways he's worse off.

IMO and watching my dh suffer with back pain doctors don't help very much. Also, watching various people I know with back pain, we keep suggesting the chiropractor yet they just keep taking pain pills, complaining, and now having surgery. But no one listens to us so what can we do? It's like they just don't believe it when we tell them how bad dh's pain was. Like we just don't understand THEIR pain and how a chiropractor could NEVER help them, so they don't even try. I know I'd try everything before I had such a major and invasive surgery especially on my back!! AKKK!

Now Dh goes to the chiro occasionally and is doing VERY well. Now he only goes about every 10 weeks, he stretches alot, watches his posture, walks alot and is doing great!

Like anything, you have to do your homework and find a good chiro for you. But IMO they are SOOO much more experienced with back pain than the regular doctors.

I know this thread is going off topic, but I just had to respond too that chiro's are really really helpful!!

WHAT??? I have never heard this either! Can you give us the documentation for this? I'm not trying to be rude, so sorry if it sounds like it! I have just never heard this said before, so am VERY surprised someone thinks this!

One l Michele--I had the endometrial ablation as well (one year ago)! I really suggest this to women that are done having children! There's no reason for you to continue with the terrible periods! Mine lasted almost all month sometimes, plus horrible cramps and very heavy bleeding, and migraines...ugggh! I felt bad almost all the time! And on the worst days (about 5-8 days of the month), if I even moved it'd be a mess! Soooo, since the surgery (outpatient, quick and easy!), I have a life! I can exercise, I feel better....it's great!

So that's just for the older ones of you that have major problems--look into Nova Sure...

Mommylaw. . .it's good to know I'm not the only one that has worn 2 at the same time. One night I was SO sleepy before bed that I forgot to take the old out b4 putting the new one in. . .imagine my surprise in the morning. My thought was "Hmm, good 2 know that 2 fit. Anyway, I haven't done it since, but I know that using 2 is always on the back burner for special occasions!

shell