Menu

Spanish word for the color orange??

I don't speak much Spanish. I know a little....just random words. So, dd was just listening to a cd from DK Spanish Language Learner while following along in the book. I was listening along while doing other things. I hear the person on the cd say they will now say colors in Spanish. They say..."red"...I think to myself "rojo"...they say "rojo". Yes! They say, "orange"...I think to myself "anaranjado" (which is one of my favorite Spanish words that I know. It just sounds so cool)...they say, "naranja". I'm like HUH???? :confused: So, now....I'm totally confused. There are 10 colors in the book and orange is the only one that is competely different from what I thought it was. Naranja??

I have heard it said that way in many books etc. that, but in many other places it is said the way you remembered. I believe it is correct that naranja is an Orange and anaranjado is the color orange. DK probably used something liked Google translator to make the book.:lol:

Edited by twoxcell

I do believe this is a regional thing. We were taught naranja for both the fruit and the color orange which I believe is the word they use in Spain. My Spanish dictionary says the same.

:iagree: I learned naranja for both the color and the fruit back in school (learning 'Spanish' Spanish). Now that we're learning Spanish at home w/ my kids, we're learning Central/South American Spanish & those are presented as two separate words.

It is regional. In school (in the US) you are taught anaranjado for the color and naranja for the fruit, however, many places use both for the color... so, no, it is not wrong, just different ;)

:iagree:Sorry to disappoint those who believe that the word naranja is only for the fruit. Nope, it also means the color. Both terms are correct.

You can check the following link if so you please to check for yourselves:

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=naranja

The fruit is #1, the color is #3.

I do believe this is a regional thing. We were taught naranja for both the fruit and the color orange which I believe is the word they use in Spain. My Spanish dictionary says the same.

Yep, it's regional. Both are correct depending on where you're from. My Spanish books printed in Spain all use naranja; anaranjado seems to be more Latin American.

Isn't DK British? They're probably using Spanish from Spain.

Yep, it is regional. If you say "naranja" for the color, you may get chewed out or laughed at by native speakers from some parts of the world. People are funny about what is allowed/not allowed. I minored in Spanish in college. I had a different instructor from a different part of the world each semester. What was acceptable to one instructor would get a reprimand from the next semester's instructor. The worst was the professor from Spain right after I had a teacher from Puerto Rico.

Yep, it's regional. Both are correct depending on where you're from. My Spanish books printed in Spain all use naranja; anaranjado seems to be more Latin American.

I'm thinking this may be true. I checked my kids Spanish things after reading this thread because it interested me and I see them both used equally. Speekee uses Naranja and that is from the UK. At least they sound similar so no biggy. I also asked my older two kids and they recognize both of them.

I learned anaranjado for the color, and naranja for the fruit in college. I noticed our crayons said naranja, so I asked our tutor from Pueto Rico. He told me it is regional, but any Spanish speaker would know what you meant.

I guess it's funny I learned it that way, because we were learning European Spanish in college. I can still remember the c's pronounced like "th". Wonder why the word I most remember that on is cerveza?

This is what I was thinking. So...I won't notify DK that they were incorrect. :lol:

besides, naranja is easier to say LOL!

But anaranjado is so much more fun to say. Anaranjado....anaranjado! :D

Thank you for this thread! I'm traching Spanish in our co-op this year and anaranjado through me for a loop. It didn't sound familiar at all. But naranja, yes! That's what I learned. Since naranja is in anaranjado, it makes since to use both, though.

Well....look at that! I never even noticed that. But....they both sound different. I'm pretty sure in the DK cd (which doesn't mean they are right!)...they say naranja with the j having a j sound. In anaranjado, I thought it was more of an h sound.

ETA: I was wrong....I listened to the CD again and they say naranja correctly.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

But anaranjado is so much more fun to say. Anaranjado....anaranjado! :D

Well....look at that! I never even noticed that. But....they both sound different. I'm pretty sure in the DK cd (which doesn't mean they are right!)...they say naranja with the j having a j sound. In anaranjado, I thought it was more of an h sound.

naranjuh? that's interesting

well, my students stumble all over anaranjado - it's an intimidating word for Spanish 1 students. Whereas they can say naranja pretty well.

naranjuh? that's interesting

well, my students stumble all over anaranjado - it's an intimidating word for Spanish 1 students. Whereas they can say naranja pretty well.

I just listened to that part of the CD again to double check (I should have double checked first). I was wrong....they say it correctly. I must not have been listening closely the first time I heard it. They don't say "juh". I'm sorry I slandered DK. :lol:

I just listened to that part of the CD again to double check (I should have double checked first). I was wrong....they say it correctly. I must not have been listening closely the first time I heard it. They don't say "juh". I'm sorry I slandered DK. :lol:

:lol: