Menu

S/o boxed curriculum: please tell us your favorite one subject...

Mommyfaithe

All laid out for you....great TM included curricula. One subject only please....and lets not keep it just for K-8....I need high school courses that you love too. I would prefer a full year Or semester rather than a short unit. Also, TOG, Sonlight, MFW etc. Don't count.....not even Ambleside:D

A few of mine.....

Latina Christiana 1&2

CLE reading, math & LA

Story of the World Vol. 1-4 with the AG & tests

Lyrical Life Science

Writing With Ease

Open and go....do the next thing or lesson.....wherever you leave off, you can pick up next year...and if you are ill, You can hand the manual to your oldest kid and have them have at it.

Share!

Faithe

I don't always use these in the way I'm saying, but here goes:

WWE/WWS - requires me, but is just soooo easy to use!!!! I can't say how much I appreciate this curriculum.

FLL - same as above though I've only used level 1 and 2, then move on to R&S 3 because I have it. :)

R&S grammar -ultimately, I like to do this WITH them, but it can be done effectively without help from me, workbooks and tests help.

Singapore Math -I have carried books on to the next year and I believe I could hand it to a child and they be able to teach themselves from it, though that is not the best option.

Apologia science - I appreciate this curriculum on every level, all the way up to Biology. I'm not as crazy about Chemistry and haven't used Physics yet. I think I may do bju for Chemistry next time around.

I absolutely ADORE Bob Jones' 6th grade reading curriculum. I mean I LOOOOOVE it. It's the perfect bridge between reading real books in K-5 and the literary analysis taught in 7-12.

As a matter of fact, it's so good and there's so much there, I've split it into 2 years. We did half in 6th grade and we're doing the other half in 7th.

In my 15 years of homeschooling, this is the one course I wish I had gone through with all my kids. When my oldest was in 6th and 7th grade, I turned my nose up at "boxed" curriculum. As a result, my 2 oldest really missed out.

Programs that were open-and-go for ME and were a good fit for DSs:

Grades 1-4

(I preferred to create our own history and science curriculae)

- Explode the Code (phonics)

- Handwriting Without Tears (handwriting)

- Miquon (math)

- Singapore Primary (math)

- Penny Gardener's Nine Note Recorder book (music)

Grades 5-8

(I preferred to create our own history and science curriculae)

- Singapore Primary (math)

- Math-U-See (math)

- Beautiful Feet Geography Guide and Map Pack (geography)

- Winston Basic, Word Works, and Advanced (grammar)

- Giggles in the Middle (grammar mechanics)

- Wordsmith Apprentice (writing)

- Jump In (writing)

- Megawords (spelling)

- Lightning Lit & Comp 7 and 8 (literature)

- Explorers Bible Study -- we did one Quest level (jr/sr high) on the Early History of Israel; it was fine, but a bit workbook-y, so we only did the one

- TOPS units -- for science labs, not as stand-alone program

Grades 9-12

- Math-U-See (math)

- Jacobs Algebra, and Jacobs Geometry (math)

- Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance -- a unit study length

- Notgrass Exploring America (history)

- Chortling Bard (grammar mechanics)

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (literature)

- Windows to the World (literature) -- one semester, but can do Jill Pike's yahoo syllabus to extend to full year

- TOPS units -- for science labs, not as stand-alone program

- Home Science Tools science kits -- for science labs, not as stand-alone program

- foreign language as dual enrollment at the community college :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I am not sure if these entirely fit the description, but these are the "open and go" easy for me to use things that I have...

- Elemental Science - It is all planned out and my boys enjoy it

- Spelling Workout - Very easy to use and we enjoy it

- Math Mammoth - I just print it out and do whatever pages are next...We like it here

- Rod & Staff - While I like MCT for writing purposes, I love R&S for grammar...Very thorough and easy to use...My son loves the examples they use and finds them funny

These are the things we use that require next to none planning for me each week...Everything else we use has me sitting here trying to figure out a week's plan :tongue_smilie:...Writing With Ease is also easy to use, but it is very difficult for my boys and I can't say it is their favorite...We haven't used it much but I really need to give it another try...

I absolutely ADORE Bob Jones' 6th grade reading curriculum. I mean I LOOOOOVE it. It's the perfect bridge between reading real books in K-5 and the literary analysis taught in 7-12.

As a matter of fact, it's so good and there's so much there, I've split it into 2 years. We did half in 6th grade and we're doing the other half in 7th.

In my 15 years of homeschooling, this is the one course I wish I had gone through with all my kids. When my oldest was in 6th and 7th grade, I turned my nose up at "boxed" curriculum. As a result, my 2 oldest really missed out.

These are the ones I am talking about. The ones we wished we would have used with them all, now that we have found them. I feel like that about CLE....especially their 3 rd grade math. It is such a fantastic foundation, taught so simply, yet thoroughly. I love it!

Programs that were open-and-go for ME:

- Miquon (math)

IMO, Miquon is great, but I would never describe it as open-and-go or what the OP requested: "all laid out for you."

My additions that haven't been mentioned yet - not all are necessarily a "favorite":

Cursive First (handwriting) - I tried a different cursive curriculum after using this with my first two & dumped it almost immediately. This one is simple, but it is all laid out for you, explains how to do it, and makes sense to both me & dc.

ArtPacs (hands-on arts/crafts)

Growing With Grammar w/Student Text, Workbook, Answer Key, & Tests (grammar) - but don't use it every year

Writing Tales 1 & 2 (writing & light grammar)

ABeka Math (1st-3rd)

Edited by RootAnn

IMO, Miquon is great, but I would never describe it as open-and-go or what the OP requested: "all laid out for you."

Which is why I qualified my list with: "open and go for ME". :) Miquon WAS "all laid out" as much as *I* needed. :) But that's why I like these lists -- I love to hear how different people have different teaching styles and needs -- and what different programs were the perfect fit. :)

Apples & Pears Spelling and Dancing Bears Reading are *pick-up-and-go.*

These were a refreshing change in routine from "the-oh-so-fussy-if-you-can-even-fit-it-all-in" SWR...for both ds8 and myself.:tongue_smilie:

I wish I would have started off with Dancing Bears when he was 5yo, and started Apples & Pears Spelling with him in 2nd grade. (...and made a WRTR notebook for myself only...) Hindsight is 20/20.;)

CLE Math

History Odyssey (all levels)

OPGTR

GWG (5th on up)

HWOT

An empty notebook/journal/sketchbook for them to draw and write whatever they want. I know it isn't a curriculum per se but those books have become treasures and lifesavers.

Here are my stream of consciousness ideas:

Saxon Math

Singapore Math

Hake Grammar

Spelling Power

K12 materials

Miller and Levine Biology (with the exception of the labs)

Lial's math

MCT to some extent

Teaching Textbooks

Cambridge Latin

Latin for the New Millennium

For us Saxon has been open and go for one student, but not another

R&S English

Spelling Workout

Abeka Math (k-4)

RS4K level 1

Apologia GS and PS, my student lets me know what she needs for experiments.

So far Rosetta Stone Spanish is very open and go, but that might not be a good thing...jury's still out on that...

And finally, I have been shocked at how smoothly IEW SWI-B is going. All I have to do is edit papers...it's wonderful. They watch the DVD, they write, I correct, they revise, done. But that's not counting time spent watching the TWSS.

Almost forgot to mention WWE...but only if you use the workbook.

Edited by cheryl h