Menu

What would you recommend for somebody wanting to get started with sewing?

I've wanted to learn to sew for years. Now we have a neighbor who knows how to sew really well and has offered to teach me. My birthday is coming up in a week, and my husband suggested, since I have nothing else I want, that he get me a sewing machine. (I warned him that I might end up taking up as much room in the house with sewing stuff as I have with knitting stuff, but he says that we could manage that.)

Even if I didn't end up loving sewing, I could still use a sewing machine for certain knitting projects and for mending stuff. Ideally, though, I'd love to learn to make quilts and simple garments.

So, for those of you who sew, what machine would you recommend? I want something that isn't so expensive that if I end up just using it for knitting projects and mending/hemming I'd feel like I wasted my money, but is sturdy enough that it would last me a good while if I ended up making quilts and clothes. And obviously I want one that would be easy for a beginner to use.

Also, what other stuff would I need to get started? Any suggestions for good beginner projects? Where do you get fabric? And, do you have any book/video suggestions so I don't bug my neighbor too much? ;)

For what you need an older machine would be perfect. Something all-metal from the 70's or earlier would chug along through whatever you needed and not cost you an arm and a leg. Some of those you can get used for $25 to $50. I knew a woman who got her old metal Singer when she saw a sewing table on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it!

You get generally get an old machine serviced for around $50 and then for under $100 you have an excellent machine that will do what you need and last a lifetime.

I suggest going to your local sewing shop that has a repair department in it and see if they have some used ones that they have taken in on trade and serviced.

I agree that taking your neighbor along shopping with you is a great idea. She knows the lingo.

I have the Brother sewing machine from Walmart. I have had it for years. I have used it to sew many dresses, costumes, quilt tops, curtains, etc. It is a basic machine, but has everything I have ever needed. If you look on Black Friday, they usually have sewing machines in the ads.

I hope you enjoy learning to sew.

:iagree: If you don't come up with an older workhorse model, I've been very happy with my Brother.

I'm just a step ahead of you. I received a Brother sewing machine as a gift. It has a computer and tons of stitches. Wednesday I went to sew with it for the first time, I went to wind the bobbin, the thread wound itself on the post under the bobbin about 100 times and, now that I got all that thread off, the bobbin does not want to wind all the way. I have no idea how to make it work correctly and the booklet doesn't say. I may have to take it to get repaired, and the warranty is over (I had it for more than a year before daring to touch it.) On the other hand, maybe I made some stupid mistake, but I really did just what the booklet said. I guess I need lessons on how to use it.

So, my advice would be to get a machine that has less bells & whistles, and just can sew without breaking down.:001_smile:

ETA: the one I have is Project Runway Limited Edition PC-210.

Edited by Little Nyssa

My first project in school was a drawstring gym bag, it was very easy.

Check your library for sewing books. You can look in used book stores. I finally found a book that is a "basics on sewing"; I think it is packed and I can't remember the name of it, but it might be a Simplicity publication.

I don't sew all the time, but for the past two years have been working on and almost completed two quilts (my first and second ever), completed a dress, pants and skirt for dd.

If you really like sewing, you will find lots of projects. I've made Roman shades, curtains, dresses, skirts, fabric window panels for a store and was asked if I could make a Medieval cape, which I declined.

I bought a Singer in 1984 on sale (forget the price) and have had it serviced twice. Nothing fancy on mine, but I would like to have an embroidery or serger machine.

I can hem up pants that are too long, fix various articles of clothing that just need to be mended, make alterations on kids' clothes that are too big...

Good luck on your new-found talent!

Little Nyssa, the big chain fabric store does offer sewing lessons, lessons on how to use sewing machines. Or try to find an online forum about your machine, or post a question here.:tongue_smilie:

I have a Janome Threadbanger (TB12). It's a simple, no-frills machine that is sturdy and easy to use for a rank beginner like myself. I'm sure Janome makes other similar models--the Threadbanger models were special editions for a DIY web site of the same name. I also have an antique Singer machine gifted to me by a family member. It's incredibly fussy, though it works beautifully if you have the time (and patience, something I lack) to sweet-talk it into cooperating. The gift of the Janome from my husband one Christmas was a relief. The Singer is now a well-loved piece of furniture. ;)

I'm just a step ahead of you. I received a Brother sewing machine as a gift. It has a computer and tons of stitches. Wednesday I went to sew with it for the first time, I went to wind the bobbin, the thread wound itself on the post under the bobbin about 100 times and, now that I got all that thread off, the bobbin does not want to wind all the way. I have no idea how to make it work correctly and the booklet doesn't say. I may have to take it to get repaired, and the warranty is over (I had it for more than a year before daring to touch it.) On the other hand, maybe I made some stupid mistake, but I really did just what the booklet said. I guess I need lessons on how to use it.

So, my advice would be to get a machine that has less bells & whistles, and just can sew without breaking down.:001_smile:

That's why I like to recommend older metal models. They're generally simpler with fewer stitches and can take just about anything you can throw at them.

I currently have 3 machines. There's black Singer 15-90 from the 50's that my GMIL gave me. She had been using it, unserviced, for half a century. It just has a straight stitch but that's all you need for many projects and it's the machine a lot of serious sewers love to have. I also have a metal Singer from the 70's that has a straight stitch and zig zag. I use this one most often and got it for $10 (came with the sewing table I wanted). I also have a newer Kenmore I bought about 10 years ago with lots of stitches. I used it for one project and then it went to live with my mother. I haven't asked for it back yet and don't know when I'll bother.

That's why I like to recommend older metal models. They're generally simpler with fewer stitches and can take just about anything you can throw at them.

I currently have 3 machines. There's black Singer 15-90 from the 50's that my GMIL gave me. She had been using it, unserviced, for half a century. It just has a straight stitch but that's all you need for many projects and it's the machine a lot of serious sewers love to have. I also have a metal Singer from the 70's that has a straight stitch and zig zag. I use this one most often and got it for $10 (came with the sewing table I wanted).

\:iagree::iagree:

I started and sewed many years with my Nana's old black Singer, with just a straight stitch.

When I got a little bit more difficult and wanted to do heirloom sewing (pin stitch), I jot a Janome, which is awesome, but still doesn't have many bells and whistles. I get them for exactly what I need-no more, because I want the $ to be in the mechanics of what I'll be using, not what I'll never use, if that makes sense.

I've never gotten the Janome serviced, and it's going strong, 20 years later.

But I also agree to take her with you.

The store where I purchased my Husqvarna Viking machine offers free classes for new owners. Why don't you bring your machine back to the shop and ask for some help?

I love my 5 year old Kenmore, though I'm sure others would tell you to stay away from newer Kenmore machines. I know quite a few people who like Janome. I'll leave the machine recommendations to others, and instead point you towards getting started sewing.

I really like Sew Mama Sew. They have plenty of instructions, projects from absolute beginner to very advanced, and a forum. I like their sew alongs too. Many of the pattern companies have websites with instructions and tips.

For what you need an older machine would be perfect. Something all-metal from the 70's or earlier would chug along through whatever you needed and not cost you an arm and a leg. Some of those you can get used for $25 to $50. I knew a woman who got her old metal Singer when she saw a sewing table on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it!

You get generally get an old machine serviced for around $50 and then for under $100 you have an excellent machine that will do what you need and last a lifetime.

:iagree: I just made a great costume for my dd using my vintage Kenmore that I fished out of a neighbor's trash over ten years ago. Those older machines were essentially farm equipment, built to last and to be repaired when they didn't.

I suggest going to your local sewing shop that has a repair department in it and see if they have some used ones that they have taken in on trade and serviced.

I agree that taking your neighbor along shopping with you is a great idea. She knows the lingo.

:iagree: You want someone with you who won't be snowed by the glitz of the fancy low-end machines (or the prices of the high-end ones!). Someone who can actually tell you what you'll use and what you won't.

Also - check out the sewing machine reviews on www.patternreview.com - a most excellent resource for all things sewing. The site is a bit hard to navigate but worth figuring out. They also have forums. And their pattern reviews are amazing - I always check before using a commercial pattern - it can really help you to avoid problems.

I also suggest looking at a Janome. I started with a cheap Brother, and let me tell you, there is nothing more frustrating than learning to sew on a cheap machine that has glitches. I returned it and got my Janome from Sears about 7 years ago, and I love that thing! Also, as someone else already said, get a good pair of scissors and only use them for cutting fabric. Oh, and a self healing mat, at least 24" x 36", a rotary cutter, and a 6" x 24" ruler. You can find some really good coupons for those at Joanns if you have one near.

I just bought a Brother machine. I also have a Janome (in storage as we moved overseas). My machine came with a dvd explaining the basics which I found very valuable.

I also found there are tons of videos on Youtube about sewing. For a beginner like me they are great.

Justamouse- I love the pillocases project (the ones with the crochet trimming). Can you share where to get the pattern/instructions for these? ;)

I'm a self-learner, too. I bought a 46 stitch Singer several years ago.

The first thing I did was grab an old shirt, cut it up, and practiced with the different stitches. Then, I bought a very easy pattern for a shirt and some inexpensive fabric and made my dd a shirt with a ruffled bottom on it. It turned out great!

I have since made costumes, hemmed jeans, made some of dh's long sleeved shirts into short sleeved shirts, and all sorts of stuff. I haven't used many of the features as I really don't use it too much, but I just love the machine.

As for books, I found some beginner books on Amazon and bought them. I think I bought three? I didn't have anyone close to me who could teach me.

Supplies.... from the fabric dept at Wal-Mart I bought a sewing basket, some nice scissors , some fabric scissors that cut a zig zag, a variety pack of needles, a variety pack of curved needles, a pin cushion, fabric marking pencils (a pack of blue, white, and I think pink?), a little fabric ruler so I can make even marks when hemming, a tape measure, a seam ripper, some needle grabber thingies and a thimble.... I can't remember what else. Since then, I have picked up a few more things, but those are the things I use the most. Oh, and I bought a cardboard mat that I can lay out on the table to cut larger pieces of fabric like for the aforementioned shirt. A self-healing mat would be better, but since I didn't know how much I would use it, I went for the cheap cardboard one... I have used it twice.

If you have a neighbor who sews I would definitely ask her if she would be interested in helping you. I bet she would love to. I really need help in knowing what type of fabric is appropriate for certain things. Basically, if it felt "shirty", I would use it for a shirt. Not a good method! :tongue_smilie: I did learn that the cute, shiny stuff that makes darling costumes is horrible to sew with!

I love sewing and wish I had more time to play around on the machine. Just this past weekend, I hauled it out to make some accessory pieces for the kids' Halloween costumes and I want to sew more!!!!

Have fun--- it's a great hobby!

ETA: I removed the link to the machine I have, as it's way outdated & a little more expensive compared to some of the others mentioned. I'm jealous now!

Edited by Heather in AL
To remove info