Menu

If you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year...

...then it is about time that you send out your Thanksgiving letter to your guests.

What's that? You don't know what a Thanksgiving letter is? Well, you are in luck! Here is an example Thanksgiving letter that you can use as a guide! :lol:

(Yes, I know that many of you have already seen this, but in case there are some who haven't, I thought I would provide it again as a PSA! I can't think about Thanksgiving anymore without thinking of this letter...and being thankful for not being in that family.)

I love it. Thanksgiving is at my house. every. year.

(at least people do bring food items. some are even helpful and thoughtful. Some I have wished "have a nice time" (re: the terminator and "hasta la vista baby".) when they threw a tantrum - and threatened to have their own thanksgiving and not come to my house - after not being allowed to invite *their* casual acquaintences to a sit down formal china silver crystal dinner for what was already 30 people related by blood or marriage. sadly, they were only bluffing and came anyway, sans casual acquaintences.)

I do have one relative who must bring her ingredients to prepare her item in my kitchen. Fortunately, NO one missed the brussels sprouts that were left in my refridgerator. (or the tomato aspic the cooks son deposited on top of my kitchen cabinets in hopes it would be forgotten. It was.)

that is hilarious. I have a feeling I'll be doing it this year, since no one else has volunteered and I refuse to let one sil do it, since she's already done Easter and a bbq this year and no one else has done anything. I'm just kind of hanging on, hoping someone else will do it. We did it last year. My house is not big enough, nor is my yard big enough for the 1/2 grown boys who are rough and tumble. Last year they demolished my winter garden during a backyard soccer game.:glare:

It seems as if the host is missing the thankful and the giving part of this day.

Well, you could say that. But, also, having hosted before (for 30 people) it is frustrating when... say... people come late, but still have to actually cook the potatoes for the mashed potatoes and they do it on your stove and everyone's waiting around and all the food is getting cold and the water is still not boiling. I'm taking that letter as tongue-in-cheek.

It seems as if the host is missing the thankful and the giving part of this day.

the host is too busy working to put a dinner on the table so the guests can rejoice in how "thankful and giving" they are. once dinner is over, again the host is too busy cleaning up to be able to visit.

guests who bring along their friends (NOT a significant other) without telling the host even though there are already 30 people, don't cook their food item/put it on a platter/bring something to serve it in, but expect the host to provide those items at the last second. then there are the guests with small children, who helped themselves to locked-up and put away toys (even though some are out for children to play with), but dont' bother to clean up after their children . . .

the host is too busy putting out the proverbial fire to be able to think.

I have one oven. Hubby smoke-grills the turkey outside so I can use the oven for stuffing, pilaf, and crescent rolls. We do this every year. So of course last year MIL brought a large pan of uncooked sweet taters and asked me to put them in the oven for 45 minutes. Um, oven is in use. Why didn't you bring them cooked and ready to go as in prior years? I ended up transferring her taters into a microwaveable container and nuking them to cook them - which meant I could not heat up the mashed taters I made ahead of time' or SillyAutismMan's rice...I think this year I will try to get her to bring a tossed salad.

I'm taking that letter as tongue-in-cheek.

1/2 tongue-in-cheek, and 1/2 serious. I did finally start telling people to bring their own serving dishes and utensils.

Of those who think this letter was horrible, how many have done thanksgiving/big-holiday-dinner for 20 *teens/adults* or more at least once? how many have done that more than once?

These are not "guests", they are extended family members at a family dinner.

Edited by gardenmom5

I host alot of our family events and I think sometimes people forget that even when everyone is nice enough to bring a side dish, it still costs alot of time and money to host large family events. We regularly host fish fries and dont get me wrong, we completely enjoy doing it, but every time we do it, it costs us about $100 in food and supplies. Thanksgiving for a large family can get up there too. Not to mention prep time, increased utilities and so on. I wouldn't dream of showing up at a large food event without contributing and it shocks me that anyone would do it to me.

That said, the specific instructions on which recipe to use...that is a bit over the top for sure.

1/2 tongue-in-cheek, and 1/2 serious. I did finally start telling people to bring their own serving dishes and utensils.

Of those who think this letter was horrible, how many have done thanksgiving/big-holiday-dinner for 20 *teens/adults* or more at least once? how many have done that more than once?

These are not "guests", they are extended family members at a family dinner.

It's funny because many of us have had experience with hosts who are over-controlling and guests/family members who don't think through their contributions. It's funny to me because dh's family is too loosey goosey for my taste (thus my post earlier about changing venues 30 min. before dinner) but my own family is way too uptight! If I had the health and stamina to host, I think I'd aim for something in the middle. . .

I have hosted large groups on Thanksgiving. I love the gathering and the sharing. I ask my guests/family what they'd like to bring and then leave it to them. Usually, I make the turkey, stuffing and potatoes.

For me, the holiday, any holiday, is about the people and sharing the time together. Thanksgiving, especially.

If you come to my house for Thanksgiving, you won't be given a checklist of requirements nor will you find regulation casserole dishes. You will be given a warm welcome, a glass of wine and a job in the kitchen or dining room to help get everything ready for dinner. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the getting ready.

Wow! That is hilarious.

It is another reason that I am so Thankful to my mother. With her 6 grown children and any additional people who are around at Thanksgiving, she is just happy to have us all there. She spends 2 days cooking. If we are not annoying her too much she will let one or two of us into her kitchen on the day to peel potatoes, and prep the veggies. The only person allowed more than that is my dh of all people. He makes the most wonderful gravy and about 6 years ago she started to let him make it for Thanksgiving. We are truly blessed to have her at the helm of the family.

I have hosted large groups on Thanksgiving. I love the gathering and the sharing. I ask my guests/family what they'd like to bring and then leave it to them. Usually, I make the turkey, stuffing and potatoes.

For me, the holiday, any holiday, is about the people and sharing the time together. Thanksgiving, especially.

If you come to my house for Thanksgiving, you won't be given a checklist of requirements nor will you find regulation casserole dishes. You will be given a warm welcome, a glass of wine and a job in the kitchen or dining room to help get everything ready for dinner. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the getting ready.

This is how we do it as well. I have hosted many times and I have a huge family. We also have an open door policy. I guess growing up military had something to do with it, since Dad always brought home anyone single or far from home. Now my adult kids do the same thing with their friends, and know that they will all get a job to help out either before or after the meal.