Menu

sugar 5lbs.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I am in a small resort town and I paid $7.99 for a 5 pound C&H about a week ago.... on a good note, I noticed today that milk is staying down around $2.69 a gallon when it has been over $3 for several weeks...

Guest IdahoMtnMom
Seems to me I haven't been able to find 5lb bags of sugar. They are now 4 lbs.

Walmart still has Great Value 5lbs... and our store here had the C&H... but the store generic (Western Family) and the biggers stores I go to like Fred Meyer, Alberstons, and WinCo all carry only 4lbs...

Guest IdahoMtnMom
I just bought a 5 lb. Great Value sugar at Walmart for just about $3.00.

I've never seen a generic brand for more than $3.00. I hope that isn't some new trend, not that we buy it often. Mostly it's for my coffee. :)

We were going through 15lbs a month over the summer feeding the piggy humingbirds, lol... now 5 lbs will last me 3-4 months... for coffee and a bit of baking.

I am in a small resort town and I paid $7.99 for a 5 pound C&H about a week ago.... on a good note, I noticed today that milk is staying down around $2.69 a gallon when it has been over $3 for several weeks...

Kroger has been the cheapest place to get milk for almost a year now at $2.49. I'm sure they're hoping you'll also have to buy their $7 sugar and $3 white bread!! But I will run in for milk :D

When did Kroger 5lb bags of sugar start selling for $6.59? and that was the sell price! What did I miss? how can this be?

Wow, that's an astronomically high price! Earlier this month, I bought a 5lb bag of Fred Meyer sugar for $2.99 and thought, "I'll bet it goes on sale soon and I'll regret overpaying..." but it appears to have been a good price.

Edited by TrixieB

We are fortunate to have a military commisary that we can shop at. But even there I have noticed a marked increase in prices. My soup went up .49 per can in a two week period. Bread is $2.00 minimum. and sugar...I get off brand 5 pounds for about $3.00. C&H I think is nearly $4.

We shop Kroeger too for the things we can't get at the commissary. And even with store brands, there is no way we could afford to shop there for all of our groceries. As it is we spend $600 a month, but that includes all paper products, personal care stuff, food, and pet food.

Thank God I coupon, I bought sugar at Marsh a few weeks ago, four pound bags for .99 after a sale of $1.99 and a .50 coupon doubled. I bought 6 bags because I do a ton of baking and it should last me a year. I don't use it that much, but I do use it.

This week I'm stocking up on brown sugar, I can get it for .67 a bag after coupons for 2 lbs.

I was just clipping coupons for my Bi Lo shopping trip. It will be 4lbs for $1.39. I am thinking I will go print a few more coupons from my other laptops. My mom and I both make a ton of fudge for the holidays and that takes up a lot of sugar. And I am couponing for our church food bank. I think I will get a couple bags for that too.

I was just clipping coupons for my Bi Lo shopping trip. It will be 4lbs for $1.39. I am thinking I will go print a few more coupons from my other laptops. My mom and I both make a ton of fudge for the holidays and that takes up a lot of sugar. And I am couponing for our church food bank. I think I will get a couple bags for that too.

great find! I'll need to go coupon searching again. I rarely see coupons for things like sugar, flour and butter though.

The cost of milk at the KC Sam's Club has been 1.99 the last couple of weeks. All of the Aldi's have signs that say 1.99 as well, but we prefer Sam's because the milk stays fresh MUCH longer...

On another note, Price Chopper (the kc one, apparently there's more than one price chopper) has flour on sale for .99 until Tuesday!

The cost of milk at the KC Sam's Club has been 1.99 the last couple of weeks. All of the Aldi's have signs that say 1.99 as well, but we prefer Sam's because the milk stays fresh MUCH longer...

On another note, Price Chopper (the kc one, apparently there's more than one price chopper) has flour on sale for .99 until Tuesday!

I am obviously living in the wrong part of the U.S. I really thought our prices were pretty good. Second guessing that now. We live less than an hour from a sugar production plant. You'd think that would be one thing we could get at a decent price. The milk 'plant' in the next town also puts out the highest priced milk at any of our supermarkets. I don't get it!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/tag/tag/american%20crystal%20sugar/

It may be a short term thing in response to the lockout. I do not know if it is wide spread but it is big local news. I have a few friends affected and it has been long term. There is nothing wrong with the crop, but the workers are temps and they are not getting the sugar beets processed. Next year it might be something else with sugar prices back to regular......

I also heard that the peanut crop has been bad and peanut butter will most likely rise 40%.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/tag/tag/american%20crystal%20sugar/

It may be a short term thing in response to the lockout. I do not know if it is wide spread but it is big local news. I have a few friends affected and it has been long term. There is nothing wrong with the crop, but the workers are temps and they are not getting the sugar beets processed. Next year it might be something else with sugar prices back to regular......

I also heard that the peanut crop has been bad and peanut butter will most likely rise 40%.

That might explain it. Just surprised it affects us since there is a sugar plant about 60 miles from here and tons of sugar beet farms. I guess if Kroger doesn't by 'locally' it could definitely be a response to this problem though. I heard the same thing about peanuts and bought a few extra last week.