Menu

When, if ever, do you incorporate computer use into your classical education?

When do you permit computer use in your classical school?  

1. 1. When do you permit computer use in your classical school?

• Extremely rarely. Even my high schoolers have limited computer time.
    • Occasionally (1x/wk or less) to research specific school-related subjects.
    • Frequently. Around once a day, but generally for school-related subjects.
    • All the time: brainpop, games, typing practice, google, you name it.
    • Other.

My children use it to practice typing and my daughter uses it to type up her IEW assignments. That's it. We prefer to limit screens in our home. My husband is a ps teacher and feels the excessive use of technology is detrimental for children. We would completely agree with this quote from the article...

Those who endorse this approach say computers inhibit creative thinking, movement, human interaction and attention spans.

I found this quote sad...

Advocates for equipping schools with technology say computers can hold students’ attention and, in fact, that young people who have been weaned on electronic devices will not tune in without them

This is exactly the mentality of our school district. They feel that even by first grade, these children have been so over-exposed to screens that the ONLY way to get and keep their attention is to use those screens in the classroom.

And I loved this...

“Teaching is a human experience,”

And for the disclaimer...This is just our family's choice. It works for us. I'm not strictly classical either. I'd say I'm a mix of classical, traditional, and CM.

By classical I mean that the bulk of your academics are approached from a WTM/LCC perspective.

Yeah ~ "not by any stretch" is right… we're eclectic/unschoolerish. I've never read TWTM and likely never will. I have, however, read through (and used with my kids) SOTW - I do like those! :D

[although there'd prolly be people who would argue with my use of those terms too..always is! LOL]

Take a vote out of the "all the time" then if you want a truer count.

Your poll should probably consider the age of students.

My son attended a Montessori school where computer usage was non-existent until upper elementary grades. His home education began in 7th. High school work included a fair amount of computer time with online classes (including Latin), some virtual labs as well as the library of Google books.

Age matters, I think.

Your poll should probably consider the age of students.

My son attended a Montessori school where computer usage was non-existent until upper elementary grades. His home education began in 7th. High school work included a fair amount of computer time with online classes (including Latin), some virtual labs as well as the library of Google books.

Age matters, I think.

Agreed. My daughter is in 7th this year and she is now using the computer for typing up papers.

I used to feel this way about screen time being so evil and awful. Now that I've seen it for myself (my kids have a lot of screen time) I haven't noticed anything negative about it. In fact, they really DO respond well to it and it has been an invaluable tool for us. Both my boys still love to read and still love to do other things.

So I'm not sure I buy that it's bad. It sounds like the typical scenario of the older generation jumping up and down about the latest thing and claiming it's all downhill from here.

I didn't say it was evil. LOL.

We avoid it with our elementary-aged kids because we believe there are positives to doing so.

I'm curious…if you don't allow (or severely limit) computer use for school (or anything) in your home.. what do you for researching things? (anything really)

Do you own encyclopedias? Do you have fast & easy access to a library?

We go to the library and use an encyclopedia or I research the information and print it off for them to read.

Yeah ~ "not by any stretch" is right… we're eclectic/unschoolerish. I've never read TWTM and likely never will. I have, however, read through (and used with my kids) SOTW - I do like those! :D

[although there'd prolly be people who would argue with my use of those terms too..always is! LOL]

Take a vote out of the "all the time" then if you want a truer count.

Just curious why you'd "never read" the WTM?

I'm curious…if you don't allow (or severely limit) computer use for school (or anything) in your home.. what do you for researching things? (anything really)

Generally I will find a library book on the topic-we live close to a great library. For example, the boys want to do a unit study on sharks, so we went to the library and got a ton of great books on sharks. They will create a mini book based on their notes. We watched a nature show on sharks where they discussed how materials scientists are researching shark skin to determine why barnacles do not attack to the surface as they do to whale's. I have printed out some information from the internet that covers this in more detail, and they will read it and write a narration.

We rarely use the computer at all before middle school. Then it is mostly to type papers. 8th grade and up have some online courses and they are on for a couple hours a day for those. But that's all they use it for. The oldest two have iPhones, so there isn't much they need the computer for. I have an iPad, so I have to make extra effort to remember to get on the main computer for the few things I can't do on my iPad.

ETA: We have an extensive home library and a decent public library system for research. Or I will just google it on my iPad and show them. It's not that big a deal. Those below 7th r 8th don't do much research anyways.

Edited by Martha

I allow the computer for limited research and typing up papers. This wasn't until 7th grade. We also use it for educational videos. Computers are a tool.

We're a pretty techie family, ds is into computers, he spends a lot of time doing his own thing with his computers. I purposely limited their use in the classroom in the earlier years.

I don't think computers or tv are evil. Dh and I met in programming classes and we both love technology. However, we both agree that before learning an easy push this button method, it is better for development if they learn the long way first. We don't allow calculators either. Not even for the ACT. It has nothing to do with the device and more to do with opinion and experience that learning via the less technicial process has positive benefits.

I use it to find materials, and once in awhile will use a video clip from Discovery Education to supplement schoolwork, but that's about it.

However, the computer IS one of DD's favorite ways to spend time on her own, and while I don't consider computer time part of school, most of what she does is educational-scratch programming, Headventureland, Discovery education,and even her well beloved Neopets account. She doesn't watch TV much at all, and I limit the time she spends (we do school all morning, usually go outside for several hours a day if weather permits, and have a 2 hour quiet time, so once you add her dance and gymnastics practice to that, she really doesn't have a lot of time to spend online).

She doesn't have any of the other digital toys-no iPod, iPad, DS, Wii or the like-the computer is it.

Just curious why you'd "never read" the WTM?

Hey now, I didn't say it like that LOL ~ I said I haven't read it and I likely never will. It has nothing to do with the book itself, or the author (like I said, we've used and enjoyed SOTW) -- it's just that we're not classical (so we don't need a "guide to classical education") and I only have so many hours in my day. :p

(y'know though, if a copy of it landed under my nose… I'd prolly read it just because it was there)

I mostly follow the WTM approach and we use the computer for:

Spelling- I've made up my own spelling lessons, and input them on a spelling website. The kids play games on the site and occasionally take their spelling tests online as well.

Math- We watch MUS videos on the computer, and sometimes use MUS e-sources for additional practice. We use Xtramath.org for additional math face practice.

Chess- We watch instructional chess videos on the computer.

Health, Science, History- we look up additional information online for all these subjects.

Music- we listen to songs on iTunes, watch videos on YouTube, etc.

I started a typing program last year, but I don't think their hands are big enough, yet to really reach all the keys, so I scrapped it for now. We will eventually do typing and some type of technology in addition to our other subjects.

I know. Other people have said that.

What do you feel are the positives to avoiding it?

You may take this as a reaction against how I was raised. I remember my parents sitting for hours typing in each and every keystroke of a program, making a mistake, and having to spend hours finding the mistake... My Dad was among the first of the techies, I think.

We do use the computer in our home. I showed the kids a Youtube just last night. But it isn't daily or even frequent usage.

So, for us, the positives are this. And again, let me say that these positives are not exclusive to those who limit technology, but I've seen too many children who don't have these abilities due in large part to the fact that they are babysat continuously by screens.

1. Ability to listen to long books at an earlier age.

2. Ability to learn through audio rather than visual.

3. Enjoyment of older classical books and movies.

4. Increased creativity.

5. Ability to entertain themselves without a screen.

6. Ability to be behaved without a screen.

7. Less of, "I'm bored."

8. Ability to find information at the library independent of the computer. (Reminds me of the thread about do kids really need to know how to use a real dictionary).

9. More time to focus on important skills such as reading, writing, etc.

10. Kids learn more, faster through interaction with adults.

11. Kids with less screen time tend to be more physically active.

12. More family time and less everyone dividing and going to their respective screens.

13. Greater ability to focus on a task without distraction.

14. More time in nature.

Really, I could go on forever.

I don't think most parents here who are using the computer for school-related activities are going to have problems with any of these areas. I'm speaking mainly to the problems I see in real life in my husband's school setting and with children of friends.

There are a ton of books written on this subject and much research done on the impact of the internet on the way the brain thinks and processes information. I'm not saying anything new.

Edited by Daisy

There are a ton of books written on this subject and much research done on the impact of the internet on the way the brain thinks and processes information. I'm not saying anything new.

Snipping your post for the sake of brevity, Daisy. I wanted to say "I agree!" and add that we also frowned on a number of electronic books and toys when our son was younger. The noise of these things drove me nuts but I found that some of my son's friends were limited in their imaginary play by their electronic dependence. And this was ages ago from a tech perspective--my son is now a sophomore in college!

I don't use computers for schoolwork until 4th grade. My 4th graders work on a typing program, and use the computer to type their finished writing assignments. All of the original drafting is done on paper; only the finished copy is typed.

I allow my junior high kids to choose a foreign language, and we have used Rosetta Stone for that. They also use the computer for research.

High school students use the computer to take online courses, research, write papers, and socially network.

They all get a small amount of computer time in the afternoon/evening to play a game of their choice (within reason). The younger kids are limited to educational games; the older kids can choose a strategy or role-playing game.

We use the computer to watch educational videos (Kahn, AoPS, etc.). My older son types his writing assignments on the computer. We use Rosetta Stone as part of our German studies. My older son is also into computer programming and does that on his own time (it's not an assigned subject in other words).

We have in the past used some educational games such as Timez Attack. I'd have no qualms about using anything online if I find something I like.

We also use the computer as a reference tool. If we are talking about pyramids we can find pictures of pyramids to look at. Things like that. I love to use an online thesaurus verses a paper version because it allows you to instantly look up the meaning of each of the listed words.

I sometimes find worksheets (like HWT's online worksheet maker for penmanship practice). I've downloaded books that I've used.

I don't think homeschooling would be as fun without the computer!

:iagree: We are adding in typing as well as online computer lessons for technology literacy. Plus we play with PLATO Middle School science. Of course, I don't think a computer should should replace book work though;) For example, we used Time4Learning.com in the past which is great as a supplement but I would never dream using it as our only curricula. Paper and pencil and book time are still critical.

We also use BrainPop and DE via Calvert but this is not everyday or does not consume large amounts of time. I still think they are excellent resources though:)

We limit computer use with the younger kids just like TV and video games. They review spelling with spellingcity.com, use math games to review math facts, and last year supplemented science with Aha Science. My oldest uses the computer for AoPS and supplementing science. (AoPS time can add up quickly between online class, videos, and Alcumus time.)

I don't have anything against technology, we'll be getting an ipad soon for educational apps and convenience, I love my Kindle, and we have multiple laptops, I just think there are better ways to approach education at the age of my DC. We are book lovers here. ;)

We review almost all of our Classical Conversations memory work usng a screen. We have a video of the entire history timeline that we review often. I use youtube for some of the science and grammar songs. I use CCC's online presentation. And I used quizlet and sheppardsoftware.com for geography. DD uses the computer to research her challenge A papers and to type them.

Plus we use xtramath.org & Spelling City.

But I still limit screen usage outside of school.

For young ones (~K-4), hardly ever at all. Once in a while a YouTube video or something like that.

As they get older, we seem to use the computer more and more. I've farmed out my 8th grader's Algebra II and Physics classes to Derek Owens, and even though he goes to class in person once a week, he also needs to watch some of the lecture videos online. I've also farmed out Latin III, and the instructor posts the weekly assignments on her website and she expects kids to read the class blog and occasionally post to it as well. So that's a few minutes a week.

I also find the older one is using the internet more for research, and he finds more reason to look up videos on YouTube, etc (things that would illustrate a science concept or information about an invention that's come up in our history, etc, etc).

He still writes his papers out longhand, but over the next year or so, I expect him to do more and more of that on the computer as well.

My younger one is in 4th/5th grade. She does Timez Attack daily (because memorizing facts has been tremendously difficult for her using more traditional approaches -- and the computer is endlessly patient, offering practice after practice without judgment, and that's not something I have always handled perfectly), and Teaching Textbooks as a supplement (each take about 10-15 minutes a day, for a total of half an hour). That's really her only time on the computer, though I also have her Latin flashcards as an app on my phone, and sometimes she'll review them that way as a break from other forms of review.

My children use a computer for school to:

-type writing assignments

-create visuals for oral presentations

-create posters

-CD or online activities accompanying their science work

-plotting and analyzing data for science lab

-programming

-research

DD has learned web design as an elective and, as a volunteer activity, serves as webmaster for a local equestrian organization.

For us, being able to use office software, do basic web design and program are important educational goals which can not be achieved without a computer.

I severely limit the computer. Dh is a graphic designer/web developer, so we are surrounded by technology. I want my kids to see the computer, iPad, Droid, etc... as a tool to be used only when it is the most appropriate tool out of the many available.

We do own encyclopedias and we also own lots and lots of books certainly more books than anything else in the house (except legos). We have made a point of buying good resources (better than are available at the library) for history and science. The only time we use the computer for research is to look for something that is so cutting edge that it has not made it into books yet or if there is an exceptionally good website available.

My kids play almost no computer games. They do have a game system which they play for a few hours on weekends. None during the week though.As far as doing work on the computer, this year I will let my oldest type his history, literature, or science summaries on the computer. He is also taking one online class (Latin 3) because he has passed me and left me in the dust.

The younger two do nothing on the computer.

Edited by Old Dominion Heather