Menu

What are your favorite desserts that have at least some nutrition in them?

A lot of desserts are pretty much fat, sugar, and white flour.

What are your favorite desserts that have some nutritional value? (They can still have sugar and some fat in them!)

I tend to buy natural ice cream or make pudding because of the milk. Pumpkin custard is another favorite. What are yours? (Looking for new ideas)

A lot of desserts are pretty much fat, sugar, and white flour.

What are your favorite desserts that have some nutritional value? (They can still have sugar and some fat in them!)

I tend to buy natural ice cream or make pudding because of the milk. Pumpkin custard is another favorite. What are yours? (Looking for new ideas)

I was going to say pumpkin pie but your pumpkin custard is one better skipping the fattening crust.

Carrot Pie (minus the crust, because gluten-free crust isn't worth it)

Chop 8-10 carrots, and boil until tender. Toss in a blender along with:

1/2 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)

1/2 cup honey

2 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

Blend until smooth. Pour into a greased pie pan, or into 5-6 individual ramekins (my kids love it this way). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It will be the consistency of pumpkin pie filling, and taste somewhat similar, but the carrots are sweeter.

Apple crisp, carrot cake (loaded up with carrots, nuts, coconut, pineapple, raisins, etc.), date squares. Popsicles in summer (made by blending whole fruit and juice--sort of like a frozen smoothie.) Fruit smoothies / homemade ice cream or sorbets (again, heavy on fruit. We make ours vegan with coconut milk and agave instead of sugar).

In general, I try to improve the nutritional profile of our baked goods by adding fruits/veg (banana, applesauce, raisins, dried cranberries, coconut, grated carrot or zucchini, pumpkin or sweet potato puree all go well in desserts), nuts, and blackstrap molasses (a little goes a long way, but it is such a good source of calcium and iron). Cut sugar (usually by 1/4-1/3 of original recipe), use half whole wheat pastry flour instead of all white/unbleached. No, it's not 'healthy' like an apple or some broccoli, but for a dessert?--Not too bad.

Cheesecake. Does that count? OH my it is my favorite dessert and when I was nursing DS (now nine) the lactation consultant had some homemade Cheesecake at EVERY meeting. Once a week! Oh my, it was like going to heaven every Wednesday morning!

Hard habit to break too!

Honestly, I make a lot of apple pie around here. We cut the apples, sprinkle with the tiniest amount of sugar (2 tbls), cinnamon (depends on how much we want, but 1 tsp - 4 tbls), nutmeg, and any other spice that sounds good at the moment. I top the apples with less than 2 tbls butter and a crust that has some cut outs.

I never eat this. I do not like baked fruit, apples at all, and rarely eat pie crust, however it is still a household staple!

Honeyed peaches. Yum! Slice fresh peaches, saute with a tiny bit of butter, and drizzle with honey. And fruit torts - they have a thin crispy crust and a 3/4 inch layer of filling (usually a cheesecakey filling) topped with fresh sliced fruit. Oh, and when I want something really decadent I make homemade dark chocolate ice cream. It isn't as healthy as the other stuff, but it is very tasty and is made with fresh milk and cream, 80% cacao dark chocolate, reduced sugar, and no preservatives so I figure it is better than store bought.

Raw apple pie.

There are many recipes out there, and most of them are delicious and taste very rich.

Here's one: http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-apple-pie/

And chocolate nut balls. Some verson of this: http://attractingwellness.net/2011/05/08/chocolate-walnut-balls-raw-vegan-vegetarian/

You can also dip them in melted dark chocolate.

Edited by Penelope

Would you care to share the recipe? I have a few GF friends who would love this.

Here ya go. We're GF, too.:001_smile: I always add a handful of chocolate chips in the batter.

Black Bean Brownies

1 (15oz) can of rinsed/drained black beans

3 eggs

3 tbsp oil

4 tbsp cocoa

1 pinch salt

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 c sugar

1. turn oven to 350

2. mix all ingredients in blender or food processor.

3. pour into greased 8x8 pan (can add chocolate chips on top)

4. bake for about 30 mins

THanks so much, everyone! Lots of good ideas here. Yum! My kids asked me last night whether I buy ice cream a lot because it is better for you than other desserts. Um yeah. But I realized that there isn't much variety that way. Looking forward to trying some of your fav's! (I didn't kill a kitten--right? Cuz the ' is taking the place of the rest of the word.)

We like fat, so for us it would be berries and heavy (pastured) cream, custards, and cakes and quickbreads made with almond flour.

Have you ever tried white bean or black bean cupcakes or brownies? Sounds dreadful, but they are really good!

If I'm buying something, it is the simply decadent ice cream and ice cream bars (coconut milk, sweetened with erythritol).

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_nsa_chocolate

For a quick snack I'll sometimes make coconut milk hot chocolate (sweetened with stevia and erythritol).

I was going to say pumpkin pie but your pumpkin custard is one better skipping the fattening crust.

Yeah, I serve it as a vegetable I make it like pumpkin pie filling but use 2/3 the sugar, and use evaporated nonfat milk, so it's pumpkin, eggs, fat-free dairy and not much sugar per serving.

Here ya go. We're GF, too.:001_smile: I always add a handful of chocolate chips in the batter.

Black Bean Brownies

1 (15oz) can of rinsed/drained black beans

3 eggs

3 tbsp oil

4 tbsp cocoa

1 pinch salt

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 c sugar

1. turn oven to 350

2. mix all ingredients in blender or food processor.

3. pour into greased 8x8 pan (can add chocolate chips on top)

4. bake for about 30 mins

THANKS! I almost forgot about this thread! I'm glad I checked back :001_smile: