Menu

Poll: HS attitudes about PS social environment.

What is your GENERAL attitude about the social climate in PS in the US?  

1. 1. What is your GENERAL attitude about the social climate in PS in the US?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Neutral
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
    • Deplorable

In my experience with my olders (who've been out of public school from six to 10 years), it varied considerably from some really good niche groups (who still were forced to deal with atrocious students and "what are they doing in education? teachers") to just really bad overall. (never underestimate the ill effects of a bad school administration.)

I recall one conversation with 1dd's 4/5 teacher. she would sit and twiddle her thumbs while he was trying to get the class under control and on the same page. (he was a great teacher and better at keeping his class under control than many teachers I observed. he addored her, she understood his jokes.) and that was many years ago - thing have only gotten worse. there's so much wasted time in a classroom - one thing we dont' have to deal with in hs is other kids wasting our time.

This quote from Casablanca pretty much sums up my feelings:

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?

Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

Ugarte: You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.

I think most hsers are basing their opinion of the ps social environment on their own life experiences. The vast majority of us were schooled and most went to public school. I voted bad because I had some good experiences in ps, but the rest of it was pretty dismal and there were a few deplorable incidents too. It averages out to a "bad".

I think it depends on the school. The small parochial school my DD attended, was, I believe, fairly positive for social development (and did things like make sure the kids had 2 daily recesses of 30+ minutes each through 8th grade so there was actually TIME for kids to interact socially), and I tutored in a small charter school that also seemed to do a good job in this regard (and also had a lot of unstructured time for social growth to take place). I think the large, neighborhood public schools are pretty bad-mostly because the kids are actively discouraged from socializing most of the day, and when they have a few minutes, it's more like letting an antelope into the lion enclosure than anything resembling polite discourse.

These polls are to see if generalizations I have heard non-Hsers make about Hsers are accurate.

Schools in this country range from horrible to excellent, both in social environment and academics. The schools my children are zoned for are abysmal (and dangerous) in the 6th-8th grades, mediocre in K-5th, and poor in 9th-12th.

There does seem to be a link between the social environment (behavior and values of other students and of teachers) and the academic quality, though--at least here.

The social climate in our local elementary school seems to be excellent. Great teachers, small classes, high SES neighborhood (we were smart enough to buy a house with foundation problems--that's how you afford the good neighborhood when you're not in the right bracket!). Turned out the academic climate wasn't any use, though.

You forgot the "other" option. I think some public schools have good social environments and others are deplorable. I don't think it's possible to make a generalized declaration about every public school in the country.

I have one child who has been in public school except for 2 years (K and 1st) in Catholic school. One has been bad (2nd through 5th grade), one very bad (6-8th grade) and one excellent (high school).