Menu

Poll: I consider HSing to be...

Poll: I consider HSing to mean...  

1. 1. Poll: I consider HSing to mean...

• a parent teaching core subjects. (Core=English, Math, History, Science and their subcategories.)
    • parent selected teaching aid (video instruction, teaching text, etc.) teaching core subjects.
    • a privately funded (no tax $s) online school option teaching core subjects.
    • a publicly funded (tax $s) online school option teaching core subjects.
    • a privately funded (or free) co-op with someone other than the parent teaching core subjects.
    • part time classes at a publicly funded (tax $s) insitution teaching core subjects.
    • part time classes at a privately funded (no tax $s) institution teaching core subjects.
    • a tutor paid with private funds (not tax $s) teaching core subjects.
    • a tutor paid with public funds (tax dollars) teaching core subjects.
    • other

I think homeschooling is different for each family. I picked the options that we use, but I think I accidentally clicked one that we don't do...oops. But, I can see how all would be homeschooling for different families, and possibly for ours as they get older.

The important thing is that the parents are selecting an education that is considered by many to be non-traditional. They are not in a "school" for 7-8 hours a day.

I consider homeschooling ANYTHING where the child is educated at home. That could be a publically or privately funded, online program. It could be the parent teaching everything. It could include a tutor teaching the child at home

If the child is being taught at home and not actually physically attending classes in a brick and mortar school then I consider them to be homeschooled. Regardless of what curriculum they use. Yes, that even includes public online charter schools in my opinion. ;) As long as the child is receiving their instruction at home then I consider them homeschooled. :001_smile:

lol-- I checked all of the options.

Me too!

I've used tutors and coops already. I plan to use online classes (probably private, but if TX offers something like FLVS I'd consider it), cc classes and pt enrollment in ps band or orchestra. That covers most of the options!

I consider homeschooling ANYTHING where the child is educated at home. That could be a publically or privately funded, online program. It could be the parent teaching everything. It could include a tutor teaching the child at home

If the child is being taught at home and not actually physically attending classes in a brick and mortar school then I consider them to be homeschooled. Regardless of what curriculum they use. Yes, that even includes public online charter schools in my opinion. ;) As long as the child is receiving their instruction at home then I consider them homeschooled. :001_smile:

I agree. It's called homeschool not parentschool. I know others disagree, and that's fine.

I picked the first 5 and then "other". I didn't vote for part-time classes or tutors because that's not what I would, at least as a first reaction, think of as homeschooling.

I would consider part-time classes at an institution to be part-time homeschooling (by "part-time classes at an institution" I am thinking half-day school, everyday, not just going for, say, art & music or a child taking a community college class or two) and a full-time tutor to be schooling with a tutor, the way many child actors do. Of course there are many variations and some would seem more like homeschooling to me than others.

However, people can think of themselves however they want. I wouldn't argue (or even think it to myself) that they weren't homeschoolers if they felt they were. My mind isn't closed on this at all, I was just going by what comes to mind when I think of homeschooling.

The privately-funded or publicly-funded aspect doesn't make any difference to me at all.

If a parent has taken responsibility for their child's learning (transferring that responsibility to the child as the child ages and as is appropriate for the child) and is controlling/directing their child's education with long-term and short-term goals in mind, I'm willing to happily share the name "homeschooler" with them if they want it, no matter what resources they use and who pays for them.

This was to test out whether or not people who legally HS agree with the statements I've heard that go something like this:

1. If it's not just mom teaching each subject herself then it isn't HSing. (This would include HSers using video instruction or teaching textbooks.)

2. Everyone involved in their kids' education HSs. (This includes parents whose kids have been exclusively educated in an institutional setting for their entire K-12 years. )

I also say that homeschooling looks different in many families and that's okay. Which ever way works for them. We have friends in AZ who use the public school at home route and I consider them as much homeschooler as anyone. If school is being done at home I don't feel that how much, through who or taught by who matters.

I guess if all the classes were taken at co-op and cc with no real assistance from someone in the house, I might not consider that actual homeschooling anymore. :)