Menu

Basic Christianity question

Yes.

Many Baptists don't consider themselves Protestant. They claim they never were part of Catholicism and thus, never broke off during the Reformation.

Orthodox don't consider themselves Catholic or Protestant.

I imagine there are many other examples.

They could be Orthodox. Or just plain noncommittal. :D

Religions/denominations are man-invented. I believe a Christian can self-describe as a "follower of Christ" without being categorical. Now, if it were easy to find a vibrant local church body that isn't Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox - that's another question.

Just my pair o' pennies...

ETA That's interesting, Daisy, I've never heard that before, about Baptists.

Edited by AuntieM

Well catholics believe that the only universal christian church is the Holy Catholic church. Any reformation or deviation from Catholicism is "Protestant" defined literally as "protest"--- or "protesting the true and only christian church". Catholics basically believe Calvin and Luther and others as protestors. I myself am not a catholic but did attend catholic university---and only write this for historical reference.

Yes it is possible to be a Christian and be neither Catholic nor Protestant.

Here is a good "family tree" (scroll down a bit) for Western Christianity, and here is an article on Eastern Christianity. Also an article on Nontrinitarianism.

In the family tree you'll see the Christians that are not Catholic nor Protestant as the bottom branches.

Well catholics believe that the only universal christian church is the Holy Catholic church. Any reformation or deviation from Catholicism is "Protestant" defined literally as "protest"--- or "protesting the true and only christian church". Catholics basically believe Calvin and Luther and others as protestors. I myself am not a catholic but did attend catholic university---and only write this for historical reference.

Not necessarily. The EO and the OO and the Assryian churches broke off before the reformation.

Groups like the Mennonite, Baptists etc though are historically from the Reformation as much as Lutherans are. Wether or not they see themselves as Protesting, their historical roots are through that line, and their theology has the markers of one strain or another of Protestant thought. They all are Western Christians, along with Catholicism.

But the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are neither Catholic nor Protestant.

Yes.

Many Baptists don't consider themselves Protestant. They claim they never were part of Catholicism and thus, never broke off during the Reformation.

Orthodox don't consider themselves Catholic or Protestant.

I imagine there are many other examples.

Our version of Pentecostal is the same way. Our reasoning is because we are not Trinitarian and were never part of the Council of Nicea and everything past that. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. It's just not that important to me.

Groups like the Mennonite, Baptists etc though are historically from the Reformation as much as Lutherans are. Wether or not they see themselves as Protesting, their historical roots are through that line, and their theology has the markers of one strain or another of Protestant thought. They all are Western Christians, along with Catholicism.

But the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox are neither Catholic nor Protestant.

:iagree: At least for one group of Baptists... Reformed Baptists: http://www.founders.org/library/bcf/confession.html

So that I'm clear on this. . . .

Catholics are NOT Protestant

any other 'genre' claiming to be 'Christ followers' ARE Protestant?

and to answer the original question. . . yes, I believe you can be a "Christ Follower" and not be a Catholic or Protestant. I also agree with AuntieM

Religions/denominations are man-invented. I believe a Christian can self-describe as a "follower of Christ" without being categorical. Now, if it were easy to find a vibrant local church body that isn't Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox - that's another question

and to answer the original question. . . yes, I believe you can be a "Christ Follower" and not be a Catholic or Protestant. I also agree with AuntieM

Religions/denominations are man-invented. I believe a Christian can self-describe as a "follower of Christ" without being categorical. Now, if it were easy to find a vibrant local church body that isn't Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox - that's another question

Catholics believe they are the ONE and ONLY holy christian church. Peter was the first Cathlolic pope. As the original and universal christian church, any non-catholic christian worship group are "protesters"----Protestants.

Doesn't mean the Catholics are right....Just stating what I was taught.

This article describes why many Baptists do not consider themselves Protestant. Just for further reading - not really intending to get into a debate. Just present it here for informational purposes:

http://www.pbministries.org/Theology/Laurence%20Justice/are_baptists_reformed.htm

This actually is about why some are distancing themselves from the term "Reformed". Reformed doesn't mean Protestant in this context, it refers to Calvinism.

The name Protestant came from the Protestant Reformation. Luther and later Calvin and Zwingli.

Check out Parrothead's timelines to see the overview of church history.

Catholics believe they are the ONE and ONLY holy christian church. Peter was the first Cathlolic pope. As the original and universal christian church, any non-catholic christian worship group are "protesters"----Protestants.

Catholics don't consider the Eastern churches to be Protestant.

Because we like to have a variety of opinions on any possible issue ;), some Anglicans consider themselves Protestant, others consider themselves Anglo-Catholic, and still others don't consider themselves either Protestant or Catholic but a "middle way" between the two.

I do not know who you are, but I am glad you are here!!!! With all the newbie issues, I thought I would extend a welcome ;)

Plus, I am enjoying your posts!

:iagree: Me too!

Plus, you look just like one of my good friends, although you're not her, because she's not Canadian.

Welcome!

Can someone be a Christian and be neither Catholic nor Protestant?

Yes.

Being a Christian doesn't mean you have to "join a group" of a certain label; it means you believe in Christ and what He did for you.

However, if you become a Christian, it is normal to try to find like-minded people to help on your journey. This is when all the labels can come into play.

It is normal for certain denominations to ring true for certain people, and I'm sure there's some core of truth/revelation in all of them. A lot of it boils down to culture and style. But Christ should be the centerpiece of them all. At least that's what I believe.

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often referred to as Mormons and I am a Christian. Christians believe that Christ is our redeemer, it doesn't mean we belong to a certain faith.

Me too!

We believe that Christ organized his church while he was on earth, calling twelve apostles and gave them the priesthood, which is the authority to act in the name of God to perform various ordinances of the gospel. When the apostles were killed, that priestood authority was taken from the earth. (However, I understand that catholics believe peter passed that authority on before his death.) Therefore, Christ's church fell into apostasy. Though there were well-meaning men that did their best to continue with the church Christ established, they lacked priesthood authority and it became man's church instead of God's church.

Now, in the last days, God has again called a prophet, has given him the keys of the priesthood, organized His church, as well as revealed more of his word in an additional volume of scriptures that was written by the people on the american continent. The book of mormon is another testiment of jesus christ that clarifies his gospel (Learn more on mormon.org)

So no, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is neither Catholic, nor part of the reformation or branch of any other church. We believe we are Christ's church, and invite all to come and find out for yourself if it is.

This actually is about why some are distancing themselves from the term "Reformed". Reformed doesn't mean Protestant in this context, it refers to Calvinism.

Yes and no. It is true that there's a difference between "Reformed" Baptists and merely "Calvinistic" Baptists. Reformed Baptists adhere specifically to the 1689 LBC, which is very close to the Westminster Confession (Presbyterian). The main difference between the Westminster and the 1689 LBC has to do with baptism. Thus, the term "Baptist". 1689'ers believe the Presbys got it wrong on baptism... but agree with most everything else. Thus, the term "Reformed". ;)

Those who are merely Calvinistic Baptist often call themselves Reformed, but aren't really so. If one is looking for a Reformed Baptist church, one should ask whether or not they adhere to the 1689 London Baptist Confession. That is an important distinction.

1689'ers DO call themselves Protestants. :001_smile:

An interesting thread! And I'm with you, Apryl, I really don't like the existence of denominations. Not all organized churches are denominations, and I think that's important to look into. I think looking at a timeline as was mentioned earlier is very helpful. It just shows a basic picture of church history that's relevant. I didn't think it mattered for 20+ years, but I do now. There was a time when there was ONE church, and this does mean something. I realize the path diverged at many points over time, especially beginning in 1054 AD, but exponentially from the 16th century on; however things developed over time, it seems that original church -- if the Bible is true -- still has to exist, and that's where the "pre-denominational" churches are coming from.

Edited by milovaný

Interesting indeed. This subject came up with DH at a men's retreat this weekend. Someone at the retreat was offended when referred to as a Protestant. DH was puzzled as to how to answer his question without using the term Protestant. It was an appropriate term in DH's mind, but offensive to the other party. Has Protestant become an offensive term? Or maybe it always was? Personally I used to be proud to qualify myself as a Protestant Christian.

Then you were taught incorrectly.

Interesting indeed. This subject came up with DH at a men's retreat this weekend. Someone at the retreat was offended when referred to as a Protestant. DH was puzzled as to how to answer his question without using the term Protestant. It was an appropriate term in DH's mind, but offensive to the other party. Has Protestant become an offensive term? Or maybe it always was? Personally I used to be proud to qualify myself as a Protestant Christian.

Well, like any word, it can be used offensively. I personally have no problem with the word 'Protestant' but I have a huge problem with how some people here define it & purposely use it to degrade & insult their fellow Christ-followers. It that way it is most definitely offensive. Maybe the man at the retreat has been treated in a similar fashion by people who use the term in a negative way.

I bought a IFBaptist church history book once just to look at it. I'm telling you they claim to trace the founding of their church all the way back to the disciples. Some Baptists (not every type) do not in any way shape or form believe that they are an offshoot of the Catholic church and you will offend them if you suggest they are Protestant.

That's just a heads up for interacting with those outside your denominational circle.

I'm a happy Protestant!

Growing up in an Assemblies of God home, I NEVER heard the term though. I was taught we were Pentecostal and that's it. I knew the history of my particular denomination from Azusa Street onward.

Have I mentioned how glad I am that I'm Reformed now? ;-p

Edited by Daisy

I do not know who you are, but I am glad you are here!!!! With all the newbie issues, I thought I would extend a welcome ;)

Plus, I am enjoying your posts!

Oh thanks! I'm still figuring out my way around a bit. I think I managed to miss most of the newbie fuss, whatever it was, there were suddenly just all kinds of threads about it.

Yes and no. It is true that there's a difference between "Reformed" Baptists and merely "Calvinistic" Baptists. Reformed Baptists adhere specifically to the 1689 LBC, which is very close to the Westminster Confession (Presbyterian). The main difference between the Westminster and the 1689 LBC has to do with baptism. Thus, the term "Baptist". 1689'ers believe the Presbys got it wrong on baptism... but agree with most everything else. Thus, the term "Reformed". ;)

Those who are merely Calvinistic Baptist often call themselves Reformed, but aren't really so. If one is looking for a Reformed Baptist church, one should ask whether or not they adhere to the 1689 London Baptist Confession. That is an important distinction.

1689'ers DO call themselves Protestants. :001_smile:

Oh my! The variations of Baptists is way over my head! I was mostly just meaning that for them to say they are not Reformed is not the same as saying they are not Protestant - people often confuse "reformers" and "the Reformation" with the term "Reformed". Which is natural, because it is really rather confusing that Reformed means something so much more specific.

I bought a IFBaptist church history book once just to look at it. I'm telling you they claim to trace the founding of their church all the way back to the disciples. Some Baptists (not every type) do not in any way shape or form believe that they are an offshoot of the Catholic church and you will offend them if you suggest they are Protestant.

That's just a heads up for interacting with those outside your denominational circle.

I'm a happy Protestant!

Growing up in an Assemblies of God home, I NEVER heard the term though. I was taught we were Pentecostal and that's it. I knew the history of my particular denomination from Azusa Street onward.

I was raised in a Church of God (of Cleveland TN) home, also pentecostal, and I never heard the term protestant either. I remember when I first heard people begin to use the term "evangelical". I was completely baffled as to what that meant.

Just out of curiousity, Daisy, how do the Baptists in that book explain the claim that their church goes all the way back to the disciples? I had quite a bit of church history in college (theology major at Baptist school) and never heard this before. :bigear:

I'm a happy Protestant!

Yes, there are a few groups who teach something like this. Some claim to be descended from the Waldensians. The problem here comes in when one tries to look at the history from outside the group, because naturally people are sensitive about it. But historians don't generally give much credence to these kinds of claims - there is no real evidence they are true, and some that they are not.

So I think it is hard to know what to say with regard to the OPs question for such groups, apart from that they do claim such an heritage, but it's a very disputed claim from an historical perspective.

Yes, there are a few groups who teach something like this. Some claim to be descended from the Waldensians. The problem here comes in when one tries to look at the history from outside the group, because naturally people are sensitive about it. But historians don't generally give much credence to these kinds of claims - there is no real evidence they are true, and some that they are not.

So I think it is hard to know what to say with regard to the OPs question for such groups, apart from that they do claim such an heritage, but it's a very disputed claim from an historical perspective.

When did they start claiming this? From the beginning? When was the beginning? These questions are rhetorical (although I would like to know I don't expect you to go looking ;)). But the answers to these questions might tell us why they make this claim. If they are true and the folks in that church are truly misunderstood as far as their history goes, then I would really like to know about it. However, if the claims are because they don't want to be associated with real history, well, that is revisionist and doesn't help anyone.

What I am getting at is that you can see yourself as not being any one of the things mentioned in this thread, but that doesn't mean that your history doesn't come from the two historical threads of Christianity: RC or EO. Unless I missed something, that would be historically impossible. If I did miss something, I would be delighted to be informed.

(FWIW, I have been associated with everything from an evangelical Christian commune to a liturgical church with a long history.)

Not necessarily. The EO and the OO and the Assryian churches broke off before the reformation.

Hey! I thought we agreed to use that chart that has both the EO and RC split. It's the one that's pulled up everytime I post the one with the EO as the straight line and now here you go and post the one with the RC as the straight line.

Note for others: who broke off of who is a centuries long debate ;) EO say they RC and the RC say the EO...:)

Hey! I thought we agreed to use that chart that has both the EO and RC split. It's the one that's pulled up everytime I post the one with the EO as the straight line and now here you go and post the one with the RC as the straight line.

Note for others: who broke off of who is a centuries long debate ;) EO say they RC and the RC say the EO...:)

Can you link that one again? I wanted to bookmark that one for linking here when the topic comes up, and now I can't find it.

I was raised in a Church of God (of Cleveland TN) home, also pentecostal, and I never heard the term protestant either. I remember when I first heard people begin to use the term "evangelical". I was completely baffled as to what that meant.

Just out of curiousity, Daisy, how do the Baptists in that book explain the claim that their church goes all the way back to the disciples? I had quite a bit of church history in college (theology major at Baptist school) and never heard this before. :bigear:

Bluegoat answers below.

:iagree: Though the Waldensians broke off from the Catholic church also, just earlier than the Reformation. There is no substantive evidence for that particular view of church history and yet it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that there were pockets of Christianity outside of the Catholic church.

I have a theology degree also, Jyniffrec, and I agree, you don't hear that version of church history outside of churches that teach it.

I love church history.

I'm a happy Protestant!

I grew up IFB and I can tell you that they aren't exactly scholarly. I'll keep my mouth shut beyond that.

Sorry. My Irish got the better of me (subtle potshots tend to cause that). I was in a hurry and apparently haven't bookmarked the correct one.

Link it. It is truly a fair representation.

I'll bookmark it from your link.