Menu

Homeschooling high school cheaply????

Since all my children are still shorter than I am (barely ;)), I know I am pondering this question waaay in advance. Is it possible to homeschool high school cheaply? Yes, I do know that science labs, foreign languages, and the big meaty textbooks add up. And I know that some folks feel outside classes are necessary, and some prefer to keep it closer to home. But...all that aside, how do you do high school at home without blowing all the $ you tried to save up for college? With five children and one income, our dollars have to stretch.

I think there have been some threads on this before, but my searches were not very productive...

My husband needs some encouragement that high school doesn't have to cost an arm and leg per child per year. He is thinking ahead (financially) and having a mild panic attack.

Throw us some virtual valium :), and share some frugal high school stories.

I think it's possible especially if you have a really good library system or big colleges nearby that you can check out discount textbooks and/or their library. also as they get older and you know what works/etc start looking for good discounts.

no real suggestions lol since my little one is just doing K

Hopefully you have a good library system. This has been key for me.

I realized after we had already bought almost $400 worth of curricula for 11th grade that it didn't need to be that way.

College-level textbooks are cheapest and they usually have solution manuals, as well. You can easily buy a Lial's math book for $3 on AbeBooks or Amazon. You don't need the latest edition if the older edition is cheaper. There are many college-level science texts, too.

NROC is a great resource. So is MIT Open Course Ware and Yale Open Course Ware. Another good site. Math, Science, and Engineering texts. More free texts.

I'm sorry, I'm really drawing blanks here. I have more advice, my brain just isn't working properly tonight :tongue_smilie: I'll be back once I can get through this brain fog and find all the sources I have.

I found a 9th, 10th, and 11th grade Literature/Grammar/Composition text at my monthly library sale for $1 each! I use them as a reference and if I want extra writing ideas, or random short stories and/or poems for my high schooler to read. It really could serve as all you need for ENG 9, ENG 10, and ENG 11 for a grand total of $3.00!! If I had to homeschool cheaply this would fit the bill. Here's a link to one of the texts http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=elements+of+literature+fourth+course&sprefix=Elements+of+Literature

You've received really good ideas so far. The only thing I might add is for lab equipment. The cost comes when the first child begins high school and then you reuse the equipment for each child after. Also, if you compile a list now, you can begin watching for sales and bargains so you don't have to buy new or all at once. It will save you lots of money. ;)

Denise

Since all my children are still shorter than I am (barely ;)), I know I am pondering this question waaay in advance. Is it possible to homeschool high school cheaply? Yes, I do know that science labs, foreign languages, and the big meaty textbooks add up. And I know that some folks feel outside classes are necessary, and some prefer to keep it closer to home. But...all that aside, how do you do high school at home without blowing all the $ you tried to save up for college? With five children and one income, our dollars have to stretch.

I think there have been some threads on this before, but my searches were not very productive...

My husband needs some encouragement that high school doesn't have to cost an arm and leg per child per year. He is thinking ahead (financially) and having a mild panic attack.

My advice is to keep consumables to a minimum. Yes the meaty textbooks will be a bit more but you can pass those right down the line.

I'm just gonna say that spending money on education is not a waste.

And, you're gonna spend money even if you go to public school. I can't remember any more all of the expenses, but some that come to mind are sports fees (charged to everyone in case they want to attend games), school lunches, party fees (especially for seniors), yearbooks, photos & school IDs, required school supplies, foreign language workbooks, and headphones. Some of those things cost much more than you may remember - yearbooks tend to be over $100 with more for a name imprint, per child. And this is just the beginning, because high end school expenses can include sports participation fees & equipment, parking permits or bus fees, gas to concerts and various competitions, overseas trips, school rings, letter jackets, and some spend several hundred on prom dresses, flowers, dinners, and limos, with a half dozen of these dances per year. Oh, and don't forget the obligatory "back to school" wardrobe and shoes.

At least you can reuse homeschool materials with each child, and resell them when you're done :tongue_smilie:

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Also, don't forget you have years of home-schooling networking ahead of you.

For instance, I have friend whose children are all a year off of my children's schedule. She's using my Algebra I text this year, I'm using her Geometry text....

In fact all of my Saxon math texts through pre-algebra were given to me by a different friend whose children recently graduated. I gave away all my Math-U-See when I switched to Saxon.

In our state dual enrollment costs are almost completely covered by a lottery scholarship available to any residents.

As others have said, it's really only the first that is expensive (unless you do online classes, I suppose.)

Do you have relatives who would buy a miscroscope, Kindle, telescope, dissection kit, etc. for a Christmas present. My parents are always willing to buy something like that, and it really helps. Many of the Great Books are available on the Kindle for free. They might not be the exact translation you want, but free is free. :D

We buy college textbooks, too. The good news is that the editions change often, so you can get a not-very-old textbook that is no longer the one required by professors, and they are dirt cheap.

I have only one and a tight budget for high school. Some ways I'm working on saving are:

- not using expensive all-in-one programs for history

- not buying expensive writing programs

- buying used textbooks for science & history (spine txt)

- prioritizing spending

- using a Great Books approach to history and literature (many of these books can be found at thrift stores, the GB don't change, I've been collecting for the last few years)

- using online sources like BeatleMania suggested

- vocabulary & grammar studied in context of other subjects

- finding materials that could be used over multiple years

I've penciled out a budget for at least the next two years. Because my ds is science oriented we'll be spending more on lab materials, but less in other areas. My goal is to keep our budget about the same as it was for middle school.

Yes, it's totally possible. I've found there's nothing about "high school" that is suddenly different and scarier and more expensive than earlier grades. If you've been schooling inexpensively all along, you can continue to use the exact same strategies to save money in high school.

How? Well, I continue to create my own curriculum, rather than buying packages. I buy used and cheaply. I use the materials I can find that fit into my budget, rather than setting my heart on something specific.

PaperbackSwap and BookMooch are my best friends.

I think ahead and buy things when I see them for a good price, even if it means it's going to sit on my shelf for a few years.

I think creatively about how to use resources in my community.

Most years, I spend between $200 and $400 for homeschooling materials. I didn't spend any more than that per year to get my daughter through high school (with the exception of the year I bought stuff because I thought we "needed it" and we ended up tossing it all), and I don't plan to spend more than that for my son.

Here's the thing: I'm certain that, if you had your heart set on re-creating "school at home," sticking closely to exactly what the local school district is doing, you might have less freedom to be creative and do your own thing on a budget. But I'm much more interested in giving my kids the education that fits their interests and needs. So, we have the flexibility to do things our own way.

Thanks for the dose of common sense, Jenny, Paula, Angela, and rieshy.

I have been trying to squirrel away some books (WEM, and some Great Books as I find them at used book sales. I have even tried to READ a few of them.:) I have made numerous paths into WEM, but then all the little people make it difficult to get very far. I need to keep on being the tortoise with this one...

Chels, that link was amazing!

Julie, I know that ps has its own set of expenses; we are willing to pay what we need to to give a quality high school ed, we just don't have $1000 per kid per year to spend. I knew that there are many folks here doing a great job in high school, and not going into massive debt while doing it.

I love the creativity and resources that get passed around here. :)

Edited by Zoo Keeper

If your state has free dual-enrollment, that's about as cheap as it comes! We (as homeschoolers) have to buy books, but they are re-salable usually so the cost is less than buying curriculum. Plus since all our state schools matriculate, all those credits truly count for college making that cost less in the long run too.

If your state has free dual-enrollment, that's about as cheap as it comes! We (as homeschoolers) have to buy books, but they are re-salable usually so the cost is less than buying curriculum. Plus since all our state schools matriculate, all those credits truly count for college making that cost less in the long run too.

As for as I know, there is no dual-enrollment here. The closest CC is far away in the "big city," and not really within reasonable commuting distance for us. But...since I have time before high school, all that may change.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
I should not try to type and talk to my children at the same time. Just doesn't work...

The best piece of advice I ever received concerning the financial side of homeschooling high school came from an older poster on this board --

Educate your child. Do what it takes to do it WELL. If at all possible, just pay for the lessons, the outside classes, the expensive textbooks. Grin and bear it.

Why?

Because the potential payback on the other end is HUGE. We figure our kids have received literally about $10 in merit aid for every $1 that we put into our kids' high school education, and we outsourced a lot so their h.s. education was not cheap. If a great education reaps even one $10,000 scholarship, that will cover a lot of outside classes and lessons!

So consider the money spent on high school as an investment. You really may get a HUGE return on your investment financially.

But even if no merit aid is forthcoming, you have invested in your child's education. There is nothing more worthwhile.

I have not been able to hs high school without some outsourcing.

I (me me me meeeeee lol) would consider saving money for excellent tutors. I do not know everything there is to know about chemistry, bio, Latin etc etc etc.

I've been in the hsing world for over a decade, and I *personally* do not know anyone who has done it all on their own. Folks I know have done some sort of outsourcing/tutoring/online classes.

Edited by LibraryLover

You will likely spend more on your first high schooler, and then, if you don't get bit by the CIB (Curriculum Indecision Bug), you should find that you have to spend very little on the younger kids.

I agree that a good library will help a lot. Don't forget to check to see whether any local colleges offer library privileges to community members. Ours do, and they're great sources of all kinds of books -- not just texts.

Sure, but that doesn't have to be expensive.

Well expensive is relative, but I would say it does.

Much of the time you get what you pay for.

I think we are spending a lot for high school, but I know many people who would say I am schooling on the cheap.

For the most part, I agree with Gwen.

Cheap and quality often do not go hand in hand.

And that's not even discussing the question of individual interests being pursued or learning styles.

One way I have considered costs/budgeting is by comparison.

I looked up the cost to take a course at the local community college and made sure to add costs of textbooks, lab fees... D will not be able to take courses there for a couple of years, but it gave me 1. info for the budget ahead and 2. a guide of what a credit hour would cost if she could. Sometimes, it is far less, sometimes it is about the same.

I also remember there are cost I would have either homeschooling or in public school. (For example, testing fees, lab fees, dues, activity fees, gym uniforms.) I noticed the amount we spent on clothing dropped a large amount when we pulled her from school. Lunch actually came out a wee bit less as well without the expense of buying things that packed well and so forth.

It makes me sad to say it, but honestly we have spent the most in the areas where we have had to either remediate or catch up from the time when she was in school.

I wanted to again thank eveyone who took time to post and help me think through it all...

You have given me food for thought as I evaluate where to spend what money we have--both for now and later. I really do appreciate the diversity on these boards.:) When I ask a question, I know I will get answers that help me think.

Well expensive is relative, but I would say it does.

Much of the time you get what you pay for.

I think we are spending a lot for high school, but I know many people who would say I am schooling on the cheap.

For the most part, I agree with Gwen.

Cheap and quality often do not go hand in hand.

And that's not even discussing the question of individual interests being pursued or learning styles.

Well, my experience has been that we have to invest either money or time. It's true that I don't think you can do a good job homeschooling any grade without investment. But I don't agree that it has to be financial.

I've also found that starting from scratch and doing my own planning actually allows me to make more adjustments for each kid's interests and learning style, not fewer.

Obviously, if you have the money to spend and feel that you'd prefer to invest that than the additional time necessary to source and assemble less expensive materials, that's great! I've found we all prefer my approach.

Not everybody has free virtual school access. For those of us who don't, outsourcing will eventually become expensive. Well worth it, IMO - but not cheap.

For what it's worth, my son is doing exactly one course through the virtual school this year. I don't anticipate having him do more than one or two each year. And, as I've said before, using FLVS is a convenience for us, not a necessity. If we didn't have free access to that, we'd do something else. But it wouldn't necessarily mean spending a bunch more money.

Something to look at--take a gander at some college apps--high end Ivy or almost type, small LAC, state colleges, etc. and then see how your planned way of doing high school will fit into those boxes. We're in the throes of college apps right now (another one finished this morning!) and I'm grateful for a number of opportunities my dd has had. Plan NOW for those outside teacher evals--perhaps bartering math tutoring for something you can provide. Your student might need three teacher evals: English, math and science. They might need "science activities" (Air Force Academy). I know they will need leadership and volunteer time (4-H or Scouts is nice here). Your student WILL need lab science. So, lay out your plan to cover those things. No, you probably don't know where your student might want to go, but if you aim high, you'll be in much better shape. I've watched too many of my girls' friends come down to senior year and simply not have the stuff to tick off the boxes. I would never suggest something simply to fill the boxes, but it doesn't hurt to take an activity/class a step further, in order to have the box filled. For us, high school has been expensive. So far, it's paid off.

I've already sent one to college. We requested -- and got -- more teacher evaluations than were required for her application by asking members of the community with whom she had done activities and extracurriculars.

We did lab science at home for her, with some extra activities done through the local nature preserve ($1 per class). My son is doing lab science this year without significant expense.

She did not need volunteer hours, although she would have had them through her involvement with various community activities. My son banked almost 100 hours last summer (almost as many as he needs for all of high school to qualify for the higher level of Bright Futures scholarships) volunteering with a local theatre. This academic year, he'll earn almost as many hours again serving as a youth volunteer at the science museum.

None of those things cost us a cent.

Don't leave out used curriculum sales in your area.

I started buying some things for high school when my kids were younger. I bought a Apologia high school science textbook for $5 at a curriculum sale. My dd used it last year when she reached that level. When you see cheaper items, don't be afraid to buy them and just store them on the shelf.

For me, I started researching things that I wanted my kids to learn when in high school when they were late elementary and middle school. Since they are on the college track, there isn't too much deviating from the college path of classes. By researching I knew what was out there and when I was at a curriculum sale I would know that the Apologia book that was priced at $5 was really $50 retail. Plus, you get a awesome feeling about the deal.

Then again, I am always out for the thrill of the discount hunt...

I'm just gonna say that spending money on education is not a waste.

And, you're gonna spend money even if you go to public school. I can't remember any more all of the expenses, but some that come to mind are sports fees (charged to everyone in case they want to attend games), school lunches, party fees (especially for seniors), yearbooks, photos & school IDs, required school supplies, foreign language workbooks, and headphones. Some of those things cost much more than you may remember - yearbooks tend to be over $100 with more for a name imprint, per child. And this is just the beginning, because high end school expenses can include sports participation fees & equipment, parking permits or bus fees, gas to concerts and various competitions, overseas trips, school rings, letter jackets, and some spend several hundred on prom dresses, flowers, dinners, and limos, with a half dozen of these dances per year. Oh, and don't forget the obligatory "back to school" wardrobe and shoes.

At least you can reuse homeschool materials with each child, and resell them when you're done :tongue_smilie:

Julie

I quote Julie not to say that we have to spend a lot of money but sometimes just trying to get the cheapest route isn't always wise. Personally, I didn't spend too much but there were times I decided to invest in better curriculum. There are some charter schools that let you choose your curriculum and pay for it. Of course, when you do the charter school route, you will be subject to their rules. I loved researching curriculum and if you make your own you can save money. However, one thing to remember is that as the kids get older, they tend to not want what you want. In other words, it does help to have something they can do on their own at least part of the time.