Menu

People are so rude!!! (library hold vent)...

Heather in VA

I have Story of the World and activity book checked out from the library. It's due in 4 days. I haven't renewed it even once yet (we are allowed 2 renewals on check outs). I just tried to renew it but I can't and I have to return it because someone has it on hold. Well there are 18 copies of the book and 21 copies of the activity book already on shelves at the libraries around the area. They will even move the book from one library to another if the library near you doesn't have it but another library does. And holds are not even library specific. My local library (where I checked it out and will return it) has 2 other copies on the shelf but I still have to return it because 1 person somewhere decided not to request a transfer or go to another library to get one of the 18 or 21 copies already available and would prefer to make everyone else return theirs. And since I have no idea which library she put it on hold with, it's likely my returning it doesn't do her any good since if she used the same library I do, she would have checked it out because there are already copies there.

I am not against books on hold but I really think it's an awful policy to let someone put a book on hold and therefore restrict the use for other people where there are so many available. If there are books available in another library they should be required to request a transfer rather than be allowed to put it on hold. Now people all over will be having to return their books and she still might not get a copy. ARRGG

Heather

It sounds to me like the fault lies with your library system and not the person that put the book on hold. If there are other copies at YOUR library, why aren't they just pulling one of those for her instead of making you return yours? I'm pretty sure that's how it works at our library......

What a bummer though!

Weird! OUr library system is all automatic. When someone requests a hold, they can't request a specific one. I noticed our books were coming up for return and I had wanted to renew it but I couldn't on Sunday b/c when anyone puts a hold on a book - it freezes all renewals until one of the libraries sends out a copy for that particular hold. So by Monday, my freeze had ceased and I was able to renew the book. I take it your system doesn't work that way? Maybe give it a day and see if they fill it and the freeze lets up?

We're probably in the same library system as I'm in NoVa with a very large library system. I have to admit I put books on hold all the time instead of requesting a transfer or going to the library. I do it that way because I typically get all the books I need for a month at at time and just do it all online. Plus, with younger kids I am getting a lot of books.

However, I thought putting it on hold worked the same as a transfer if there were other copies available. Meaning, my assumption was that if I put a book on hold and ask for pick up at my local library and there are 5 copies available, I thought they would send one of those copies before making everyone return copies that they have out. I only thought they wouldn't let you renew if there were no other copies available. I'll have to change my practice and start requesting transfers instead if that's the case.

So it might not be arrogance....but just ignorance. :)

And I don't have SOTW and the AG on hold. I promise. :)

This is a very strange situation!

After the first time I faced this problem (of being unable to renew a popular book because it was on hold) I started renewing my books the day I brought them from the library. That way, I know I get to keep them for 6 weeks if I need to.

BTW you are lucky to have the AG to look at! Our library doesn't stock workbooks or spiral bound texts.

I live for the hold system at our library! But when I request a hold, I cannot specify which copy I want. Sometimes it comes from our local library, and often from another library. For example, if our library owns a copy, but it is currently checked out, then it will immediately come from another library.

For books that are in high demand, that we use a lot, those are the books I buy.

After the first time I faced this problem (of being unable to renew a popular book because it was on hold) I started renewing my books the day I brought them from the library. That way, I know I get to keep them for 6 weeks if I need to.

Wow, you are lucky if you can do that! Our renewals don't work like that......if I were to renew my books the same day I got them it would do me no good, as our renewals are for 3 weeks from the day you renew....NOT 3 weeks from the day it's due back.

Weird! OUr library system is all automatic. When someone requests a hold, they can't request a specific one. I noticed our books were coming up for return and I had wanted to renew it but I couldn't on Sunday b/c when anyone puts a hold on a book - it freezes all renewals until one of the libraries sends out a copy for that particular hold. So by Monday, my freeze had ceased and I was able to renew the book. I take it your system doesn't work that way? Maybe give it a day and see if they fill it and the freeze lets up?

No - I wasn't clear. You can't request a specific one here either. But I will be returning my books at the same library that I checked them out. If whoever has it on hold used that library too they would have already checked it out because there are copies there. But the hold doesn't force a transfer. If someone puts a book on hold it freezes all returns at every library but the library system doesn't move a book to the place the person wants to pick it up if there are books available. They just keep that hold until the person removes it or checks out the book. So there are two libraries (out of something like 25) who don't have copies and the person can wait until the book shows up at her library but meanwhile everyone else has to return their copies all over. Honestly our libraries are so close together that if the person really wanted the book it would be less than a 10 - 15 minute trip to get it from a library that already has it (judging by the libraries that are 'out" and how close other libraries who have the book are to those two libraries).

People know that they freeze all returns when they do this (it tells you in ths system) so while I fault the library for this ridiculous policy, the person could be more responsible too.

(and yes we are lucky we can get it at all - so that's good. But then again if you saw our property taxes you would think our library should have 100 copies of every book ever written LOL)

Heather

YUp, this system aggravates me to no end. When we place a hold, we have to place it on a specific copy. Another individual and I were going back and forth every three weeks with a copy of a book (the library system's ONLY copy) with several weeks' transit time each time. I just wanted to day, "Can you just send the other user email, and work out that we'll be done with the book by date XX and then they can have it, or they can use it first and then we can have it and stop this nonsense???

And no, we cannot renew until due date, or else the renewal just resets the due date from the date of renewal.

AND "real" teachers can get long checkouts (6 months) but not homeschoolers, even though we are registered with the state as private schools. One library has a "homeschool lending library" but it is in another part of the state.

Aggravating.

We're probably in the same library system as I'm in NoVa with a very large library system. I have to admit I put books on hold all the time instead of requesting a transfer or going to the library. I do it that way because I typically get all the books I need for a month at at time and just do it all online. Plus, with younger kids I am getting a lot of books.

However, I thought putting it on hold worked the same as a transfer if there were other copies available. Meaning, my assumption was that if I put a book on hold and ask for pick up at my local library and there are 5 copies available, I thought they would send one of those copies before making everyone return copies that they have out. I only thought they wouldn't let you renew if there were no other copies available. I'll have to change my practice and start requesting transfers instead if that's the case.

So it might not be arrogance....but just ignorance. :)

And I don't have SOTW and the AG on hold. I promise. :)

Yea NoVA libraries - I have a love-hate relationship with them- no they don't do that. If they did, that would be fine because then they would exhaust the already available books before making people return them. But they just freeze all renewals across the board. Drives me nuts. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to return a book because someone had a hold and then walk through the library and get the other copy off the shelf.

Heather

It sounds to me like the fault lies with your library system and not the person that put the book on hold. If there are other copies at YOUR library, why aren't they just pulling one of those for her instead of making you return yours? I'm pretty sure that's how it works at our library......

What a bummer though!

:iagree: The library system should be handling which book gets put on hold. I tell it to put a book on hold, and the system goes in and decides which copy I'll get. I don't choose the copy. If another book is checked out, it finds one that isn't. If they're all checked out, THEN it picks one to put on hold that's already checked out, and that person has to return it.

I would call the library up and ask them if they can change which copy gets put on hold. They should be able to do that by hand.

The big library system in the next county usually just transfers a different copy, but some books seem to be set up incorrectly in their system. For some books I need to specify an actual copy that I want. It makes sense when it is an individual book in a series and the entire series is listed under one entry. Sometimes there isn't any difference between the copies and it should be set up to forward the first available book. I've had this same exact problem with two different books in the last month.

You all have a weird library system set up. I live in SEVA (Hampton Roads) area and the only time I'm not allowed to renew a book is if a hold has been put on it and there are no copies available anywhere in our system. If there is one available in our system then they will do a transfer without the customer having to request it.

I would definitely complain to the head librarian about the crazy policy of freezing all renewal when there are plenty of copies still on the shelf. Sure if all copies are checked out then freeze renewals, but not if there are more than a dozen available at libraries in the system.

No - I wasn't clear. You can't request a specific one here either. But I will be returning my books at the same library that I checked them out. If whoever has it on hold used that library too they would have already checked it out because there are copies there. But the hold doesn't force a transfer. If someone puts a book on hold it freezes all returns at every library but the library system doesn't move a book to the place the person wants to pick it up if there are books available. They just keep that hold until the person removes it or checks out the book. So there are two libraries (out of something like 25) who don't have copies and the person can wait until the book shows up at her library but meanwhile everyone else has to return their copies all over. Honestly our libraries are so close together that if the person really wanted the book it would be less than a 10 - 15 minute trip to get it from a library that already has it (judging by the libraries that are 'out" and how close other libraries who have the book are to those two libraries).

People know that they freeze all returns when they do this (it tells you in ths system) so while I fault the library for this ridiculous policy, the person could be more responsible too.

(and yes we are lucky we can get it at all - so that's good. But then again if you saw our property taxes you would think our library should have 100 copies of every book ever written LOL)

Heather

I think you should talk to the library--this is a system problem. There have been plenty of times that I couldn't go to another branch to get a book because of littles or a car situation or something like that. Even if it's 10 min away (which, if you think about it, is far for some things). And how would she know which branch it's avail at? I usually look online ahead of time, but sometimes I don't have internet access. What if she wants 5 books avail at 5 different branches?

I don't think the situation is fair to you OR her! :grouphug:

If it's like our system it's not the fault of the hold placing patron. I guess not her fault unless you think requesting a hold at all is inconsiderate.

I request holds for books not in my local library but in our consortium. The computer won't usually let me pick a library but yet it assigns a specific library. For that reason sometimes I don't get books when I know there are 35 in the library system. The library the computer picked has it checked out. It drives me nuts and messes up my schedule especially since holds from other libraries can be checked out for two weeks and then renewed for two more. So I may not get a specific book until I have to return the others for that unit. It drives me nuts. Sorry, my own vent. She may be just as frustrated.

I am not against books on hold but I really think it's an awful policy to let someone put a book on hold and therefore restrict the use for other people where there are so many available.

I put books on hold all the time so that they will be delivered to my local branch library and I can run over and pick up a bunch of them at a time. I doubt anyone has deliberately put YOUR copy on hold so that you have to return it. I think the computer system pretty much randomly assigns which one is held.

Have you called the library about this?

Tara

And how would she know which branch it's avail at?

If you look online (or call the library) it shows exactly which branches have copies on the shelves (and how many) and which branches have copies but are checked out. That's how I know there are so many copies on library shelves. I know it's really the library system's fault and not the 'holder' but it's still annoying LOL.

Heather

I should have known better. I called the library. Only calling the DMV or Verizon would have been more pointless. I explained the situation that I couldn't renew the books because there was a hold, but that there were 18 copies of the one book and 22 copies of the other at various libraries (including the library I was talking to). So I asked if they planned to fill that hold with available books and if so what the timeframe was on that since I still have 4 days - so maybe it would be 'off hold' by then. She said 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold.'. I explained that I understood that but I wanted to know what the procedure was for filling the hold request, especially when there are already many copies available. She said, 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold.' I tried one more time - rewording the same question. She said, 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold. Have a nice day.' and hung up.

I have some money on an amazon gift card. Sounds like it's time to just buy SOTW.

Heather

Definitely a system issue then! Our library drops the freeze on my copies as soon as another library starts processing the hold (one library ends up sending the book out and then the freeze stops).

We have 4 week loans with the chance to renew two more times (if someone else doesn't put it on hold and *If* the other books are all checked out). If someone returns theirs before I do and fulfills the hold, I can then renew again.

I try to be courteous by sending all books back as soon as we are done with them b/c I end up at the library 2-3 times week and usually have over 100 resources checked out at a time :blush:

Exactly. It's automatic with us also.

With most homeschool books I know I'm going to get the book for 3 weeks and that's it. No renewals because they are popular.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but my librarian told me what to do when this happens:

Put the items I want on hold as well (even though you technically have them checked out right now). Then I go in and explain to the librarian and they check them in and check them right back out to me to fulfill MY hold request! :)

At least, that is how it has worked in our library system -- maybe it would work for you as well! :)

Definitely a system issue then! Our library drops the freeze on my copies as soon as another library starts processing the hold (one library ends up sending the book out and then the freeze stops).

We have 4 week loans with the chance to renew two more times (if someone else doesn't put it on hold and *If* the other books are all checked out). If someone returns theirs before I do and fulfills the hold, I can then renew again.

I try to be courteous by sending all books back as soon as we are done with them b/c I end up at the library 2-3 times week and usually have over 100 resources checked out at a time :blush:

See that makes complete sense to me. In fact the system itself should be able to move the 'hold' from a 'hold' status to a 'get a book sent to this person' status automatically from the minute the hold is placed because the computer knows there are copies somewhere else. It could then generate a message for the branch with the copy that would trigger the book being pulled from the shelf and sent to the 'holder'. (I was a software developer for 15 years - this would be very very easy).

And for the record - I think it's perfectly fine to have that many library books checked out. Our system has a limit (near 40 I think) but as long as yours doesn't, then by all means use it. I don't have a problem with someone needing to use hold either - this just seems stupid. There has to be a better way to get this person the books she needs other than putting a freeze on the checked out books and ignoring the available ones.

Heather

I should have known better. I called the library. Only calling the DMV or Verizon would have been more pointless. I explained the situation that I couldn't renew the books because there was a hold, but that there were 18 copies of the one book and 22 copies of the other at various libraries (including the library I was talking to). So I asked if they planned to fill that hold with available books and if so what the timeframe was on that since I still have 4 days - so maybe it would be 'off hold' by then. She said 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold.'. I explained that I understood that but I wanted to know what the procedure was for filling the hold request, especially when there are already many copies available. She said, 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold.' I tried one more time - rewording the same question. She said, 'You can't renew a book if it's on hold. Have a nice day.' and hung up.

I have some money on an amazon gift card. Sounds like it's time to just buy SOTW.

Heather

Well, I would not want to discourage you from buying it ;) but I think the person you were speaking to was clueless as to how their online system works (not to mention lacking in the customer service department :tongue_smilie:) and this was why she stuck to her reply. I would wait a few days and see if it clears. I have had that happen here in our system in BC, Canada also. Most of the libraries in our system (except for one or two) are very quick at forwarding their copies. I use to specify copy in the past (you could do that here), picking those that were checked in, but some locations did not like that I guess and would ignore my request, leaving my hold on there until I changed it to "request first available copy" :glare:. I would try to make friends with one of the staff at your location. I have put books on hold in the past where there was one copy and someone from the location has overridden my hold twice in order to let the person that already had it, renew. So it is possible for them to override the hold. In my case, one was a 32pg book so I have no idea why that person needed it for 6 weeks :confused: but anyway.

This is how it works at our library. A hold IS how you request a transfer of the book to your current library.

This would not work at our library.

When you renew a book it does not add 2 weeks to the end of your current time, it makes the new "due back" date 2 weeks from the date you ask for the renewal.

BTW you are lucky to have the AG to look at! Our library doesn't stock workbooks or spiral bound texts.

Our system works the same way, thankfully.

I don't think the person is being rude. They have no idea how long you have or have not had the book. Our library operates the same way. You can renew twice so long as nobody else places a hold on it. It IS sometimes a pain, but having a book for 3 months is a really long time if someone else wants to use it too.

Hopefully you can get one of the other copies.

Yea - I know it's not the requestor's fault. I'm just crabby about the situation. I have had the book 3 weeks. I am entitled to another 2 renewals but I can't use them because of the hold. I just feel that there should be a way to fill the hold with available books instead of locking out renewals when there are available books. (if there were no books available it would absolutely be right that I had to return it).

I've known all along that I would need to purchase my own copies of these books but I was hoping to put it off a few more weeks to make absolutely sure it's working for us.

Heather

At our library, we do request a particular book, but you can choose to put a book on hold that isn't checked out instead of putting a book on hold that is checked out. If there are so many copies, then I guess you can just go check out another one and then still get the two renewals. :D I put books on hold all the time mostly so they will have them at the desk when I get ther with my 3 screaming kids! Have you tried to call the librarian?

Heather

I feel your pain. I love the vast array of books available to us and try to be thankful for that. I do love that we can easily have them transferred from another library. But we moved from another system last year and one of the things I missed the most was the nice helpful librarians (we moved just from Falls Church but as a separate city it has it's own library).

I HATE the 50 book limit. To me that's just patently ridiculous. They let me check out 50 books on my card and then use my son's card to check out the rest, so I shouldn't complain but they give me that "I can't believe you are actually removing so many books from the library" attitude every single time. The I have had more snide " you must be a homeschooler" comments at the library than anywhere else. One time as I was walking away with my giant tote bag of books I overheard one of the librarians make a comment to the other about me that was negative and related to the number of books I had.

I love libraries and I know many librarians are wonderful people. I think the ones in our system just must be underpaid and overworked or something as they seem across the board to not be particularly helpful or nice.

I feel your pain. I love the vast array of books available to us and try to be thankful for that. I do love that we can easily have them transferred from another library. But we moved from another system last year and one of the things I missed the most was the nice helpful librarians (we moved just from Falls Church but as a separate city it has it's own library).

I HATE the 50 book limit. To me that's just patently ridiculous. They let me check out 50 books on my card and then use my son's card to check out the rest, so I shouldn't complain but they give me that "I can't believe you are actually removing so many books from the library" attitude every single time. The I have had more snide " you must be a homeschooler" comments at the library than anywhere else. One time as I was walking away with my giant tote bag of books I overheard one of the librarians make a comment to the other about me that was negative and related to the number of books I had.

I love libraries and I know many librarians are wonderful people. I think the ones in our system just must be underpaid and overworked or something as they seem across the board to not be particularly helpful or nice.

Yep - this pretty much sums up the love-hate relationship I have with this library system. I can not get over the negative comments when we check out a stack of books. We get that too. My girls just glare at me when it happens as a reminder that it is not polite to smack or strangle people just because they say something rude LOL. Have you been to the recently built Fairfax Regional branch? It's huge and very fancy - mahogany and marble everywhere. But after tons of publicity about how great the library was going to be for children with a huge children's section, they decide to put all of the juvenile non-fiction intermixed with the adult non-fiction so it's almost impossible for kids to get their own non-fiction books. The shelves are too tall and they are so intermixed with much larger books even I have trouble finding them. The children's section is nice but only has fiction, picture books and videos. If you want non-fiction - you have to go to the adult section. I do like that they email due date reminders. That's helpful and has saved me fees more than once. I felt like I had to say something nice since I've been complaining about them all day :-)

Heather

What a bummer though!

:iagree: This is how ours works.

:001_huh: Our guys here could not care less how many books we take home. We have a card each (four cards) and can get 50 books each (including Malcolm :lol:). We use the machines and check out our own books so they don't have to do the work of checking them out either. That is rude for them to make comments to you! Why do they allow us to check out that many books then? They are there to do a job not criticize :glare:!

As for the problem, I think it is just a software issue. A feature someone has not thought to add. Perhaps if we all start complaining they will get their IT department or software provider's IT people to add that feature so that the whole system does not freeze whenever someone puts a hold on a single book.

Edited by Guest

PS -- I didn't realize a library was allowed to have a copy of the activity guide because of copyright issues.

We are in Canada. Our library system carries the activity guide for Vol. 1. After checking it out and getting it in my hands was what made me decide to buy it so I guess it is a trade off :). I don't know how copyrights would work in this case. There were many preschool books that were just reference before (to be used only while at the library) that we are now allowed to check out. Many of those have reproducibles. Not sure what changed!

Our previous library system had the same issue -- I found that if I couldn't renew because a book (with multiple available copies in the system) was on hold, more often than not if I just waited and tried again a day or two later, the renewal would go through. I have no idea why this worked, but it usually did. Might be worth a try.

Am I the only one who would just keep the book and pay the 10cent a day fine until they took off the hold if I still needed it? It is a ridiculous policy.

I don't know--at our library, once a book is overdue, you can't renew it, period, so this wouldn't help.

Heather, just so you know--I completely agree that the policy stinks! Having to go get another copy or go renew in person isn't reasonable.

I have worked in several different library systems. They all had similar automated systems. When a hold is placed, all copies are "frozen" for renewals, until the hold request is fulfilled. So, when you tried to renew, there was an outstanding hold on the book. Once the hold request is fulfilled, you will be able to renew with no problems. There could possibly be an issue in your library system with the staff. Perhaps they are not filling hold requests (physically pulling books off their shelves and shipping them out). This does take time and effort by the staff. It is much easier to wait for the book to come across the check-in desk. Lazy and not a very customer service oriented appraoch, but this could be what is going on. If you try to renew again up until your due date and continue to have problems, I would suspect this is what is occurring. With as many copies as you indicate are available, someone should have the time in a 4 day period to pull the report, yank the book off the shelf, and ship it off.

As far as why someone would want to override a hold to renew a 32p book - probably because they lost it (been there done that - library staff kindly gave me extra weeks to find it).

Our library system is like several others here - if you keep trying to renew it, eventually it will renew once a specific book has been scanned into the system for them (not when they check it out).

LL

I do not consider a person rude who wishes to use a certain book and uses the library procedure of putting it on hold.

Why should YOU be entitled to borrow the book and the other person not?

If anything, your issue is with the library policies and procedures. But calling the requester rude seems unwarranted.

As far as why someone would want to override a hold to renew a 32p book - probably because they lost it (been there done that - library staff kindly gave me extra weeks to find it).

Our library system is like several others here - if you keep trying to renew it, eventually it will renew once a specific book has been scanned into the system for them (not when they check it out).

LL

You might be onto something. I just decided to check it out (it is several months later) and the book now says discard. Now there are no copies :( and it was one of the few TOG books our library carried. I guess I will have to replace it when the time comes or buy it.

ETA: I was just checking it out in advance so it was not an issue when I did not get it. I just removed the hold at the time.

Edited by Guest

I do not consider a person rude who wishes to use a certain book and uses the library procedure of putting it on hold.

Why should YOU be entitled to borrow the book and the other person not?

If anything, your issue is with the library policies and procedures. But calling the requester rude seems unwarranted.

I have already said that I probably overreacted by being annoyed with the requestor but I am not saying I should get the book and she shouldn't. I'm saying I should get the book I have and she should get one of the 20 already available. Since there are copies available there are ways for her to request the book that don't impact others who already have it checked out. She may not know that - and if so - then fine. But if she does know that and chose to put it on hold instead, then yes - that is rude. Just because a policy allows for something doesn't mean it isn't rude to do it.

Heather

You might be onto something. I just decided to check it out (it is several months later) and the book now says discard. Now there are no copies :( and it was one of the few TOG books our library carried. I guess I will have to replace it when the time comes or buy it.

ETA: I was just checking it out in advance so it was not an issue when I did not get it. I just removed the hold at the time.

Bummer. I looked into using TOG at one point and did a library check because there are just too many books to have to buy. Even as large are our library system is, it didn't have that many either. I've often wondered if the library uses the fee they charge for a lost book to replace that specific book or if it just goes into a fund to buy books. Of course that is assuming that they get the person who lost it to pay the fine. I know some people are really bad about that.

Heather

Bummer. I looked into using TOG at one point and did a library check because there are just too many books to have to buy. Even as large are our library system is, it didn't have that many either. I've often wondered if the library uses the fee they charge for a lost book to replace that specific book or if it just goes into a fund to buy books. Of course that is assuming that they get the person who lost it to pay the fine. I know some people are really bad about that.

Heather

I don't know but it has happened to me in the past also with a $30 book and I ended up just buying it. It was a preschool book and I could justify the cost for the reproducibles etc. At least that is what I told myself ;). I had it on hold for months and someone was holding onto it. I find it difficult to believe that someone could misplace a large 640 page book so perhaps they are not charged the actual cost of replacing it and the person thought it worth her while to pay the fine and just keep it :tongue_smilie:.

As for TOG, it is costing us a pretty penny from here in Canada. I still have a hard time switching though because it's the only program that WOWed me as much as it has. Luckily we do get some funding here (in our Province) though so I cannot complain and I will have the books when Malcolm's turn comes :). I will be switching some of the books to books from the library in the future though too. It is much too costly to get all of them and not really necessary.