Menu

Math for the "mathy" boy - Teaching Textbooks?

JenniferB

We are almost done w/ his 3rd grade book. We have used K12 since the beginning, which is "Progress in Mathematics" Sadlier Oxford. I like it, mostly, except now we are not in the K12 virtual school anymore. So, I'm looking for a change.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a mathy, Lego lovin, perfectionist, and a future "builder" according to him. I'm leaning toward Teaching Textbooks 4 because I know it will get done every day. It doesn't require me to consult a thick Teacher's Manual and pick and choose what I will do each day, which often cuts into the actual learning time. I'm juggling 5 kids, 3 of whom are school aged, and 2 of whom are of the needy age.

Will I ruin my mathy kid's future if we do Teaching Textbooks? If so, what will ensure my mathy kid an excellent future in the "building arts?" :bigear:

I don't know the answer to this but I wonder if my ds would do well with it b/c he is an audio learner. I've got TT5 and TT6 which I got for good prices from local people and was considering using it as supplement.

We are finding that Math Mammoth is really strong - has lots of varied mental math and is fairly independent. I do correct the problems and help him with questions, but I want to be seeing his problems and learning it (again) as I go. The thing that scares me about TT is I wouldn't have enough hands on experience with it and I would become quickly lost in helping him with tough topics.

Guest submarines

I don't think TT is for mathy kids. I am looking into TT quite seriously, for my very non mathy DD. I think it is designed to keep non-mathy kids afloat and confident in their skills, which is great, imho. I do really like the program, for this purpose, specifically.

If I were you, I'd go with Singapore.

And if you do decide to go with TT, make sure you do the placement tests and read the table of contents carefully. Even my non mathy 9 yo DD, who because of the delayed academics / Waldorfy approach started doing formal math only about 6 months ago (Math Whizz), tested solidly into TT5 (and if she were the type of a person who likes to tinker and figure things out, rather than giving up during the first second of 'not knowing' something, she could have tested into TT6).

I would recommend a program like Singapore or MM.

I would make math and language arts a priority as far as your effort and time as a teacher.

YMMV. :)

:iagree: Math Mammoth is written to the student. There is no teacher book, just an answer key. Something like MM would be a far better choice for a mathy kid than TT (we have used both). CLE is another option that is written to the student, but it's not my first choice for a gifted-in-math kid.

I don't think TT is for mathy kids.

I think it is designed to keep non-mathy kids afloat and confident in their skills, which is great, imho.

And if you do decide to go with TT, make sure you do the placement tests and read the table of contents carefully.

I would agree with the above.

Math Mammoth. Easy to teach, great for mathy kids. If he needs more challenge, you can easily throw in Singapore IP and/or CWP for fun. I do.

)

:iagree::iagree:

I think it is pretty easy to use MM rom what i heard. U just assign him what u expected to be done. SM is a bit more teaching intensive. might not fit u ...

I considered TT few months back simply because it was easy to use and DS seem like the work independently on computer but I dropped the thought when DS placed into algebra in TT when he was in SM 5A. There just too much of a gap

Edited by jennynd

I would recommend a program like Singapore or MM.

I would make math and language arts a priority as far as your effort and time as a teacher.

YMMV. :)

:iagree: I will even add MEP/CIMT to the mix. It's free, and you can see it all online without investing anything. You don't have to print the teacher's lesson plan, but can read that from the computer screen. You'd be surprised how much math discussion can take place from working problems on the white board.

Thank you for the link. The visual aspect is really important to me. I find MM visually unpleasant. I don't want to deal with that. I'm having the same trouble with Shurley English. I hate the page layout. I'm using it anyway, because that's what our co-op uses, but I don't like it.

So, Math in Focus looks good to me. Any comments about this program?

Singapore is wonderful for introducing advanced math concepts at a very basic level in the early grades. Or another way to put it is it introduces 'math thinking'/'mental math' at the early levels and builds from there. My ds :auto: who is very interested in architecture and building has done very well with Singapore. He is getting a solid foundation for advanced mathematics, if he ever needs it. Since he is naturally strong that direction I am glad that we are doing it. FYI: I don't use the teacher manuals, but I do use the textbook & workbook. I also have never used TT so I can not compare it to Singapore.

I get so tired of hearing people claim that TT is not a good math program!! The good thing about TT is that it is a complete program with a tutor in the box, which is wonderful for parents that either don't teach math well or for those that are short on time. PERIOD. If a student needs to advance, then let him advance. Use the placement test and fit the student according to the results. After using TT for awhile, if he longs for more math, then give him supplements.

There are many families that use TT as a stand alone math program all the way through high school and have excellent results. There are many glowing reports from families with high school students that have scored highly on their achievement tests after using TT long-term.

A lot of the debate over these math programs is fueled by hearsay. I think a person should hold off on criticism or warnings of any program unless they have used it themselves and find fault with it.

I have used a combination of TT, LOF and Saxon with DIVE videos with my bright, but not a math lover dd. We are spending a year with Dr. Shormann and the DIVE series because of my dd's learning style and her need for more repetition before going into algebra. It isn't because TT isn't doing a good job at all. We love TT and will always highly recommend it to others.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Singapore US Edition has a very "clean" visual look. Unfortunately, the U.S. edition Home Instructor's Guide (HIG) is IMHO horrible. I think you're going to be faced with making a decision about which is more important to you: a "clean" visual look or how easy it will be for you to teach.

Also, the look of the workbook matters more for the kid than you. If the kid is freaking out, then it's a wrong choice. If the kid doesn't care, use it and get over it. You aren't the one learning. You're just teaching. The TM layout *does* matter, so definitely pick something you can teach from. :)

Yeah, if the visuals are horrible, I will avoid teaching. I know that about myself, so I want to get something that's visually pleasant and easy to follow and great for the mathy kid. Is that too much to ask? LOL!

LOL! *sigh* I know what you mean. There was a recent thread about this. (I must say that much of the time, I don't have a huge problem with MM visually; just sometimes.)

My math whiz enjoys TT, but he also uses the Challenge Math series (this year, Becoming a Problem Solving Genius) and the LoF Pre-A set for supplementation. I bought MM for my DD this year so I might let him try that as well. Is four programs too much for a kid? ;) Not if he loves it, I guess.

Seriously though, TT wouldn't be enough for HIM as a stand-alone program. He uses it because he likes it. It's a good intro to topics for him and a good spiral review on previous topics. It doesn't challenge him or really let him dive in deep, but he likes it.

Edited to add and clarify: I know TT gets a lot of criticism, but I have always liked it and found success with it. DS needs more because he WANTS more, so we supplement TT.

I'm not the best one to offer advice though. I have a very "mathy" little guy, but I am still trying to figure out what to do with him. I want to encourage his natural love for math, give him challenging and fun opportunities to learn, and do it all without squishing his love for math in the process. I want to push him without taking the fun out of it.

If you use TT, I'd carefully use the placement tests though, and consider supplementation if he needs/wants it.

Melissa :)

Edited by happy-hs

I agree with what some of the pp have said. I don't think TT is best for a mathy kid. I'm not sure what is, but I can tell you we are using CLE this year and it IS getting done and much of it ds can figure out what to do on his own. Yes, I do have to help if it is a new concept or something he just needs help with, but he is able to follow the directions and do most without me. Also, I do have the big fat teacher's guide, but have only consulted it twice in the one month we have been using it. And that's only because I didn't know the answer.(For fourth grade math!) :tongue_smilie:

So, I decided on Math in Focus. I can't stand the HIG for Singapore, and I'm not confident enough without an HIG, and I can't get past the unpleasant visuals of MM, so I settled on Math in Focus.

I got a great deal at All American Textbooks. I bought two semesters of Teacher's Editions, plus the Virtual Manipulative CD and a semester B workbook with expedited shipping for $88.54. Then I got the other semester A stuff at Amazon with expedited shipping for $27.90. All I have left to get is the semester B student book. Since it wasn't available at either place for a really deep discount, I'll wait on that one until we are close to finishing semester A.

I'm excited to start up on it. I've decided to just ditch the rest of our K12 book, and get started right away on Math in Focus when it arrives.

Now, to make a decision for my dd, age 7, who is nothing like her brother! I think I'm going to do Right Start with her and ditch the K12. She's not getting much out of it. Actually, I'm thinking of pairing up my ds, 8, with the Right Start lessons so that we can get twice the bang for our buck.

Comments?

Also, the look of the workbook matters more for the kid than you. If the kid is freaking out, then it's a wrong choice. If the kid doesn't care, use it and get over it. You aren't the one learning. You're just teaching. The TM layout *does* matter, so definitely pick something you can teach from. :)

Yep, that's why I switched to the Standards edition even though I hate the "cartoony" look of it.

Ruined? Really?

You guys ARE aware that we are talking about elementary school math, right? It is not that big of a deal. Seriously, it doesn't matter how the fundamentals are learned, as long as they are learned.

My mathy kid is only in 1st grade and uses TT3, and will probably move on to TT4 before the end of the year. I would agree with the advice to really consider putting him in TT5 at the very least. My mathematically average 3rd grader is doing TT4.

I use TT for different reason for different kids. Part of the reason is by using it, they are self-paced and *I* get the time to work one-on-one with the other child in topics that cannot be taught by a computer (like, say, writing.)

With my mathy child, I expect we will get through the TT series at an accelerated pace and be doing their version of Algebra/Pre-Algebra in late elementary, along with math fact mastery games and math & critical thinking board games, learning to program, having had fun the whole time. She can then move on to a meaty math program (going back to what is labeled as pre-algebra probably in a more mature curriculum.)

Not that TT is the ONLY way. I mean there are many quality curricula out there, but seriously, I think people really overthink this whole elementary school math thing. I mean "ruined"? Really? :lol: Of course like everyone here, I re-evaluate curricula and look into touted materials, but only when there is an area/topic where what we've chosen isn't working.

I do concede you must be aware of TT's labels and don't necessarily take them at face value.

Math/geeky family here, btw. DH is a successful physicist and engineer, and I am an artist, but studied Calculus and beyond.

Edited by zenjenn

And FWIW, my best friend is a former homeschooling mom that used TT for her gifted child, for many years, up to pre-Algebra in 6th grade. Her reason for choosing TT was because her daughter caused conflict over math in their home, so she used it in order to keep the peace during their homeschooling years, even though it wasn't supposed to be the most awesome concept-oriented gifted curriculum.

She then put her into what is all accounts a very academically rigorous private school, 7th grade, and enrolled her in pre-Algebra, the highest level of math offered for 7th grade. The girl has no problem getting an A in the class.

An anecdote, for sure, but an anecdote similar to those I have heard repeated many times on these forums, and I have my real-life example now too. From everything I've read, this family followed what seems to be the recommended standard too.. if re-entering school, expect to repeat what you just completed of TT at a decent school or college, and move on from there. It is something to be aware of, but I wouldn't call that ruinous.

Edited by zenjenn

Ruined? Really?

Math/geeky family here, btw. DH is a successful physicist and engineer, and I am an artist, but studied Calculus and beyond.

OK, fair enough. Some of us are just paranoid perfectionists. [guilty here]

And this is something I was trying to work on this year. [fail]

And FWIW, my best friend is a former homeschooling mom that used TT for her gifted child, for many years, up to pre-Algebra in 6th grade. Her reason for choosing TT was because her daughter caused conflict over math in their home, so she used it in order to keep the peace during their homeschooling years, even though it wasn't supposed to be the most awesome concept-oriented gifted curriculum.

She then put her into what is all accounts a very academically rigorous private school, 7th grade, and enrolled her in pre-Algebra, the highest level of math offered for 7th grade. The girl has no problem getting an A in the class.

FWIW, just getting an "A" in a math class and a decent SAT-M score does not mean that the child actually understands the math. I got good grades and test scores because I was good at memorization, but until I started HS my kids with Asian-based math programs, I had NO CLUE why the algorithms worked. Sure, I could quickly and accurately calculate the answer, but the plug-n-chug method I learned growing up did me a real disservice.

I want so much better for my own kids than the mediocre math education I had growing up...

FWIW, just getting an "A" in a math class and a decent SAT-M score does not mean that the child actually understands the math. I got good grades and test scores because I was good at memorization, but until I started HS my kids with Asian-based math programs, I had NO CLUE why the algorithms worked. Sure, I could quickly and accurately calculate the answer, but the plug-n-chug method I learned growing up did me a real disservice.

I want so much better for my own kids than the mediocre math education I had growing up...

:iagree:

My son is "mathy" but when he got to Singapore 2A he was too distractable to do the work independently. I also have other students and needy children so I have him doing TT. I like it. The explanations are clear and I am no longer turning around to see my child still at the same question as he was 10 minutes ago (and looking at his younger sibling's math book, lol!). Besides, he can go at his own pace. At least once a week, I will do something from Singapore.

So, I decided on Math in Focus. I can't stand the HIG for Singapore, and I'm not confident enough without an HIG, and I can't get past the unpleasant visuals of MM, so I settled on Math in Focus.

I got a great deal at All American Textbooks. I bought two semesters of Teacher's Editions, plus the Virtual Manipulative CD and a semester B workbook with expedited shipping for $88.54. Then I got the other semester A stuff at Amazon with expedited shipping for $27.90. All I have left to get is the semester B student book. Since it wasn't available at either place for a really deep discount, I'll wait on that one until we are close to finishing semester A.

I'm excited to start up on it. I've decided to just ditch the rest of our K12 book, and get started right away on Math in Focus when it arrives.

Now, to make a decision for my dd, age 7, who is nothing like her brother! I think I'm going to do Right Start with her and ditch the K12. She's not getting much out of it. Actually, I'm thinking of pairing up my ds, 8, with the Right Start lessons so that we can get twice the bang for our buck.

Comments?

See? You were persuaded by hearsay. I rest my case.

Sadly,

Lucinda

Thank you for the link. The visual aspect is really important to me. I find MM visually unpleasant. I don't want to deal with that. I'm having the same trouble with Shurley English. I hate the page layout. I'm using it anyway, because that's what our co-op uses, but I don't like it.

So, Math in Focus looks good to me. Any comments about this program?

Lol, i hate Shurley too! So unorganized!

I love the Singapore HIG (I have the US edition). I really only use it as an answer key, for the schedule laid out in the front, and for the mental math. I don't need explanation on how to teach the math concepts. I can follow the text book just fine. I guess I just don't understand what people dislike about the HIG. I looked at the Standards Edition comparison posted on another thread and did not see any AMAZING differences.

My mathy kid like Singapore. He gets it, it is quick and easy. We do a lesson, sometimes two in 20 minutes. (Unless he is having a bad day, the it takes an hour for 2 problems!!) With a computerized lesson, we would be stuck with someone else's time frame.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a mathy, Lego lovin, perfectionist, and a future "builder" according to him. I'm leaning toward Teaching Textbooks 4 because I know it will get done every day.... I'm juggling 5 kids, 3 of whom are school aged, and 2 of whom are of the needy age.

I have not read all of the posts...

Our sons sound very similar. Mine hated TT. He thrives with Singapore. He LOVES the Intensive Practice workbook. Brainteasers/puzzles are his thing. :)

Oh and we have the same "kid" situation. My son does Singapore all on his own. If he gets to something he's not sure of he asks. I explain it and he's off. Math is soooo easy with him. :D

See? You were persuaded by hearsay. I rest my case.

Sadly,

Lucinda

Well, I am using TT with my oldest daughter who is not the builder type. She's doing math happily this year. That's very important to me & her for this year. So, it suits us for her situation.

My personal homeschool philosophy is to give the kids the best start that I/we can offer. That will look different for each child. So, I get a bit perfectionist sometimes trying to get just the right curriculum for each kid. It can be annoying to myself (and to others I'm sure), but I guess I can't help myself. I really think Math in Focus will be a good fit for my ds, and I'm about to click "submit" on an order of Right Start for my youngest daughter. I think it will be a good fit for her.

I had NO CLUE why the algorithms worked. Sure, I could quickly and accurately calculate the answer, but the plug-n-chug method I learned growing up did me a real disservice.

This is really easily addressed by sitting down regularly and having a conversation one-on-one about math comprehension with your math student (no matter what curriculum you use), and demonstrating concepts (and having the student reiterate) when and if necessary.

I think you'd be surprised by how many students who are taught "high concept math" still don't get it once that lesson is yesterday's news, and how many who don't, do. Most 2nd grade teachers do explain why you borrow and carry. My own mother, a 3rd grade teacher of 20 years at the school I attended claims conceptual math was taught at my elementary school. I have zero memory of this. I had math problems, I did my work, have a nice day. I had books to read and sewers to explore. A lot of people forget and just remember the process, since it is the process that is repeated over the long haul. This is fairly easily remedied after a few years of maturity and experience with basic operations, along with a short refresher.

This phenomenon carries on into higher level math. I remember learning how to determine a derivative of a function as a limit (or whatever. See? It's been a while. It's vague.). Wow, that is interesting. But then you learn the algorithms to perform efficiently, and unless you are really intuitively into math.. the conceptual knowledge starts to get awful fuzzy, and doesn't gel until you're pretty experienced with Calculus (or so I'm told.. I got out of that line of study/work). To some extent, firm conceptual understanding doesn't come until after the process has become totally familiar. At least, that is the case for many people who do not have minds that find mathematics intuitive.

Also, TT does cover concepts in the lectures, it just doesn't repeat concepts extensively in the workbook. My mathy child will periodically come up to me and say "Wait, why do I do it this way again?" and I'll take a few moments to re-explain and she'll say "RIGHT! Thanks!" My non-mathy child is really just happy that she can get through her math and perform without feeling like the curriculum is torture. I do remind her of concepts from time to time, but I figure, either her mathematical mind will mature and she can pick up those once-vague concepts fairly quickly, or she'll never have interest in/knack for mathematics, in which case being able to perform basic math quickly and accurately is what is going to serve her best anyways.

Edited by zenjenn

I love the Singapore HIG (I have the US edition). I really only use it as an answer key, for the schedule laid out in the front, and for the mental math. I don't need explanation on how to teach the math concepts. I can follow the text book just fine. I guess I just don't understand what people dislike about the HIG. I looked at the Standards Edition comparison posted on another thread and did not see any AMAZING differences.

You may feel differently when you reach the higher levels of Singapore. Then again, if you're a "mathy" person, you may not need the extra explanation/hand-holding even for the trickier concepts. I'm not intuitively "mathy" and the lousy math education I had growing up means that I need all the help I can get in trying to teach Singapore.

This is really easily addressed by sitting down regularly and having a conversation one-on-one about math comprehension with your math student (no matter what curriculum you use), and demonstrating concepts (and having the student reiterate) when and if necessary.

I think a lot of homeschoolers lack faith in their ability to do this, or keep doing it at higher levels without a lot of hand-holding.

I also think there is a misunderstanding of what is and is not "conceptual math". If your student can solve word problems, regardless of the program you use, doesn't that demonstrate that they understand the concepts fine?

That said, I'm mixing it a little Lial's with our TT this year for some harder word problems. He's been in TT two years and is doing okay with it. He's annoyed, but that's mostly because he's 14, and math (not his favorite subject) is taking longer. :bored:

Incidentally, my 17 year old went through TT high school programs, and is now pursuing a math degree. He programs as a hobby, and that requires a surprising amount of math understanding. (This is also a kid who plays some pretty tough classical piano pieces to relax. Maybe he's just an all-around brainiac. :tongue_smilie:)

I also think there is a misunderstanding of what is and is not "conceptual math". If your student can solve word problems, regardless of the program you use, doesn't that demonstrate that they understand the concepts fine?

Simply being able to calculate the correct answer is no guarantee that the child actually understands WHY the algorithms work. If you had asked me to solve a division by fractions word problem up until 5 years ago, I could've quickly calculated the right answer. If you had followed it up with asking why I inverted & multiplied, I would've responded "because I'm supposed to do that." It was all pure plug-n-chug with no understanding of the underlying math concept. Now after teaching Singapore, I can explain about the inverse relationship between multiplication and division and I actually understand what I'm doing when I solve that kind of problem.

Have you ever read Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics?

Simply being able to calculate the correct answer is no guarantee that the child actually understands WHY the algorithms work.

Yeah, you mentioned that earlier. ?

If you had asked me to solve a division by fractions word problem up until 5 years ago, I could've quickly calculated the right answer. If you had followed it up with asking why I inverted & multiplied, I would've responded "because I'm supposed to do that." It was all pure plug-n-chug with no understanding of the underlying math concept.

That's unfortunate. That was actually explained to me in school. I went to school in the 70's, but fortunately we lived in a rural area and those were the days when schools did not buy new textbooks every year to meet some stupid slight change in the standards. Our math textbooks were likely from at least the 60's.

Now after teaching Singapore, I can explain about the inverse relationship between multiplication and division and I actually understand what I'm doing when I solve that kind of problem.

Have you ever read Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics?

You're not suggesting anyone who hasn't read it does not understand how conceptual math should be taught are you?

Americans have been capable of understanding math concepts long before Asian programs became popular in the US. My teachers were no where near as incompetent as the ones portrayed in Ma's book. Maybe that's why I felt it had limited value for me. I got a lot more out of the HIGs during the years we used Singapore than that book.

I just plugged "dividing fractions" into google and came up with a couple of websites that give only the method, and one that explains why quite well.

I'd actually like to see more schools switching to the Asian approach, but only if they include the necessary teacher training. I don't have much confidence that's how it's going to be though (and am pretty sure I've heard of schools switching and not training their teachers in its use).

I feel it would be better for most kids to do traditional math and be slightly bored with it, than Singapore badly taught. There's a chance to fully understand the concepts later, if they're not taught to hate math now (which would likely happen if they were thrown into an Asian math program without proper instruction).

My goal is that my kids not hate Math. Once you begin dislike something you close yourself off to it. They have math genes, but just like reading, etc. If it isn't cultivated in an interesting way they will turn off from it. My dd is not mathy, but she is very interested in science. She is reading her science text unbidden right now while my 5 yr old draws out his own chess set. I'm big on strewing math around, we'll see if they grow to love it, BUT they will be able to DO it.

My goal is that my kids not hate Math. Once you begin dislike something you close yourself off to it. They have math genes, but just like reading, etc. If it isn't cultivated in an interesting way they will turn off from it. My dd is not mathy, but she is very interested in science. She is reading her science text unbidden right now while my 5 yr old draws out his own chess set. I'm big on strewing math around, we'll see if they grow to love it, BUT they will be able to DO it.

That is a good goal. Math should not be a hated subject.

There are to roads to keeping it from being a hated subject.

One is to engage the child's mind from the outset, finding ways to challenge their powers of thought while making sure they have the means to problem solve that matches their intellectual level of development.

This road makes it a goal that the children learn with a real depth of understanding, and that they see the same basic topic come at them in a wide variety of different "looks" so they don't just get used to one publishers format. It involves making math activity based, and involves mental math skills, in addition to working out problems on paper.

This road builds critical thinking skills, logic, and keeps math a challenging, interesting, and intellectually satisfying field of endeavor.

The other road is simply to make sure math is so easy that they don't complain.

Bill

My older dc did not learn 'Asian' math and they are top students. I got an email from dd's geometry teacher this morning praising me for her math aptitude. (Thank you, Prof Mosely.)

A hybrid approach works here for my youngers. We do TT for daily plug/chug/standardized test review/easy/open-go/clear explanations, etc. Dd8 has progressed through all levels and is having success w/ TT Prealg currently. She loves it. She can work at her own pace, skip problems when needed, receive instant reinforcement (Ding!) and correction. I sit next to her during EVERY problem of TT (as I do w/ dd7).

She has fun inverting & multiplying when dividing fractions. She doesn't care WHY we do it (Yes, we taught her via Khan Academy, Singapore, etc). She just enjoys it. The concept isn't solid -- but that is not the primary concern. She owns it. Loves it.

She digs her Singapore CWP/IP and workbooks also. But the fun aspect of the daily computer program is a bonus. The bells & whistles & sound effects of TT are a hit w/ my dds. Workbooks have a place. Whiteboard work has a place. They are part of the whole program that I have created for them.

Don't throw TT out with the bathwater -- for accelerated students. My perfectionist, sensitive, accelerated, audio/visual learner is thriving. :001_smile:

Edited by Beth in SW WA
Typo