Menu

My eye Dr ordered 7 thousand lightbulbs

Not only does one CFL bulb contain 3,000-5,000 x the "safe" mercury exposure amount, but the entire time they are running they emit electromagnetic pollution (linked to tumors and cancer). I really need to stock up on incandescent bulbs. I did buy a few packs recently, but I should get more. UGH!

Wondering if others have experienced this with the CFLs... We live in an area that gets pretty cold in the winter and we have two barns. One is especially big with a very TALL ceiling. Very hard to get bulbs in there.

Last year, we thought we would give the CFLs a try, believing the claim that the would last longer. Not only did they not last anywhere near as long as incandescent (like only months instead of years), they did not work when it was cold. Just. did. not. even. come. on. Complete darkness when the temp dropped.

IMHO - it is complete madness that the government of the United States can mandate a dismal failure such as this. Someone is lining their pockets.

I am definitely for energy independence, but when US manufacturing plants are put out of business by a government mandate, it ticks me off.

I'll go switch some bulbs on and see but the branded ones are definitely better, I hate that dull bit at the beginning too so try to avoid it. Its Phillips Bulbs we use I think. They will say fast start on them if they are, not all the phillips bulbs are fast start though.

Just googled and there are these fast start bulbs

http://ebulbshop.com/acatalog/Save_The_Penguins_Bayonet_Cap___BC__.html

I wonder if electric use will stay the same or even go up because people will just leave them on all the time. :glare:

IMHO - it is complete madness that the government of the United States can mandate a dismal failure such as this. Someone is lining their pockets.

I am definitely for energy independence, but when US manufacturing plants are put out of business by a government mandate, it ticks me off.

:iagree: Don't they have bigger problems to fix than the energy efficiency of light bulbs? I'm not a two year old. I think I can make my own choices as to which light bulb I want to have in my home.

I received this email from my brother this morning. I think he said that he heard it on NPR. Anyhow:

The incandescent light bulb will be phased out as follows

1/1/12 – 100w no longer available

1/1/13 – 75w no longer available

1/1/14 – all remaining incandescent bulbs no longer available ie. 25w, 45w & 60w.

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea about the dishwashing detergent change until it was too late to hoard. At least I have some warning this time.

Thanks for the links!

On the one hand they sound fairly harmless (compared to old-school thermometers). Plus, how often do I break bulbs? (Not very.)

On the other hand, you have to shut off the A/C, air out the room for 15 minutes, and wear gloves and goggles to clean up a broken bulb. That sounds scary to me, but I'm weirded out by stuff like that anyway.

Guess I will be one of the hoarders:D

Wondering if others have experienced this with the CFLs... We live in an area that gets pretty cold in the winter and we have two barns. One is especially big with a very TALL ceiling. Very hard to get bulbs in there.

Last year, we thought we would give the CFLs a try, believing the claim that the would last longer. Not only did they not last anywhere near as long as incandescent (like only months instead of years), they did not work when it was cold. Just. did. not. even. come. on. Complete darkness when the temp dropped.

I researched this, and it is a known problem. Something called cold cathode cfls can operate in -10 degree weather. How bright are the light-bulbs you have? Because it looks like the brightest available can only replace up to a 75w bulb. But, you don't want to know how much they cost. :001_huh:

Not sure if this was posted, but my dh, who is an electrician, says the new bulbs DO NOT work with dimmer switches. He removed all our dimmers in our house when we switched bulbs.

Overall, we are okay with the bulbs and ours do seem to last a while but not 5-7 years . . .

Sometimes I hear them buzz, which annoys me . . .

What really troubles me is you are not supposed to throw them away in the regular trash because of the mercury in them. Okay for us as dh can take them to work where they are collected . . . But you know many will not dispose of them in special collection places and will just toss them in the trash.

ETA this is just more big government run wild. I am asthmatic. A few years ago the rescue inhaler I use had to becom

CFC free. Guess what? The new inhaler does not work as well and costs more $ as there is no generic. Somebody is getting really rich off this . . . :glare:

Edited by jelbe5

My husband accidentally broke a CFL bulb in one of our storage closets. The cleanup was horrendous, and we had to throw away all of the bedding that came into contact with the bulb dust.

How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb?

Because CFLs contain a small amount of mercury, EPA recommends the following clean-up and

disposal guidelines:

1. Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

• Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage

area on their way out.

• Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.

• Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

2. Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

• Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place

them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.

• Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass pieces and

powder.

• Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the

glass jar or plastic bag.

• Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

3. Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug

• Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a

canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.

• Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and

powder.

• If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where

the bulb was broken.

• Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum

debris in a sealed plastic bag.

4. Clean-up Steps for Clothing, Bedding, etc.:

• If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercurycontaining powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or

bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury

fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.

• You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the

mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you

cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct contact with

the materials from the broken bulb.

• If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from

the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the

towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.

5. Disposal of Clean-up Materials

• Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area

for the next normal trash pickup.

• Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.

• Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific

area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken

and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

6. Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

• The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning

system and open a window before vacuuming.

• Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least

15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Horrendous. We have been buying boxes of incandescents ever since.

ETA: When they break, the powder puffs up and goes everywhere. Every shelf and every item in the storage closet had to be cleaned or, if it was clothing or bedding, thrown away.

They hurt my eyes and give me headaches/migranes. Interestingly, when I was in college (many years ago), my physics prof. said that flourecent lights and computers both cause problems like this. It's because of they're (can't think of the right word. visually vibrating light). He said to always have an incan. light on to even out the light and prevent eye strain/headaches. Now we won't be able to.

We switched to LED lights. They're a horrible cold blue white, but no headaches, no flickering and no delay. Allegedly LED bulbs are dimmable but we don't have dimmers.

They're very expensive but last years. Ours are over 5 years old, and we know people that have had them for 10.

We switched to LED lights. They're a horrible cold blue white, but no headaches, no flickering and no delay. Allegedly LED bulbs are dimmable but we don't have dimmers.

They're very expensive but last years. Ours are over 5 years old, and we know people that have had them for 10.

Would frosted glass over the lights help at all?

We have recessed lighting...so we have quite a few bulbs in the main area of the home.

You can get "warm" LED lights now. I noticed this last year at Christmas

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fcompcool_warm.htm

http://www.inirgee.com/color_comparisons.htm

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I wonder what will happen with the huge increase in migraines? Everyone I know that is migraine prone has issues with those bulbs.

:iagree: Flourescents make me physically ill. I get a migraine and I feel like I'm going to puke.

We have tried CFLs in some rooms and they have ALL burned out 2-3 times faster than an incandescent. We've slowly been swapping incandescents for energy saver halogens because I can. not. do. CFLs if I want to actually function.

I researched this, and it is a known problem. Something called cold cathode cfls can operate in -10 degree weather. How bright are the light-bulbs you have? Because it looks like the brightest available can only replace up to a 75w bulb. But, you don't want to know how much they cost. :001_huh:

The ceiling in the barn is so high up that we have 200watt bulbs in there. The guy who built it stored an RV in the barn. The sockets are in the ozone of the roof and a special mega wattage. A 75w CFL would barely cast a shadow.

It's not like we have those lights on all the time, but it sure would be nice to see in there when we need to.

I bet if 100w bulbs are going bye-bye soon, the 200w are doomed. I better start buying.

The ceiling in the barn is so high up that we have 200watt bulbs in there. The guy who built it stored an RV in the barn. The sockets are in the ozone of the roof and a special mega wattage. A 75w CFL would barely cast a shadow.

It's not like we have those lights on all the time, but it sure would be nice to see in there when we need to.

I bet if 100w bulbs are going bye-bye soon, the 200w are doomed. I better start buying.

CRAP!!!!! I was looking for more info on this and accidentally stumbled into a forum argument about which grow-lights are best for your...err...crop. Boo, you guys are always getting me pinged by the FBI. :tongue_smilie:;)

I'll switch when these burn out :lol:

Would frosted glass over the lights help at all?

We have recessed lighting...so we have quite a few bulbs in the main area of the home.

Not really no, but as Mrs Mungo said LEDs are available in warmer colours now. I have 5 year old technology, I imagine what's out there now is better.

CRAP!!!!! I was looking for more info on this and accidentally stumbled into a forum argument about which grow-lights are best for your...err...crop. Boo, you guys are always getting me pinged by the FBI. :tongue_smilie:;)

:iagree: This place is dangerous. :lol:

OOpps! :lol: It's amazing what you can find (even unintentionally) on the "Net".

Soooo... curiosity killed the cat. Now I'm wondering what this particular segment of the "growth industry" is going to do when CFL's are mandated across the board. I'm not sure they are going to put out enough heat. Just another example of regulations putting a dent in the Free Market.

Not only does one CFL bulb contain 3,000-5,000 x the "safe" mercury exposure amount, but the entire time they are running they emit electromagnetic pollution (linked to tumors and cancer). I really need to stock up on incandescent bulbs. I did buy a few packs recently, but I should get more. UGH!

Can you explain the electromagnetic pollution part? Visible light is on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Wow, 7000 lights are a lot. 1000 are a lot. I have 44 saved so far. Started once when I heard this, but then I forgot. . . May have to start again. So, I have to go around and see if I use 100 watt since they are fazed out first . . I think I use mostly 3 way in lamps around here - when are THEY fazed out. . .

The stupid thing is - they are not better on the environment (can't even throw them in the trash. . .

Barb

Justamouse...when you get your nerve up to ask you eye doc about the bulbs.....find out where he orders such a huge quantity, how much this is gonna cost him, where is he gonna store them, yadda, yadda, yadda. I mean...inquiring minds wanna know! Then report back here on the double. Capeesh? :D

I heard him tell his nurse that he had called Home Despot. :D But he may have called the other places, too, I just heard that one.

I wonder what will happen with the huge increase in migraines? Everyone I know that is migraine prone has issues with those bulbs.

That's strange that you say that because I hadn't had a migraine in years, and now I get them more than I used to. I assumed it was impending menopause. Maybe it's also the CFLs?

Funny, I found myself trying to figure our how long my 44 light bulbs I have currently saved/bought will last me. I mean - how many lamps I really use each evening/early morning - 1 in family room one 3 hours per night and little per morning . . . one in dd rooms maybe 2 hours per night. . . one in my room maybe 1-2 hours. Really, 44 light bulbs should last several years? Funny, I never thought about how many light bulbs I go through per year. . .

Anybody ever figure out how many they go through per year of incandescent bulbs? I am not sure.

Barb

Stinks because I use them for my bearded dragons as heat lamps. The 75 watt bulbs provide plenty of heat for my 5 cages. The other bulbs don't put out enough heat. Guess I will be stocking up.

I didn't even think of that! I'm going to be stocking up on those, too. Ugh! We have 3 reptiles! LOL

I saw some light bulbs at the store and they were not 100W, but were 97 watt (I think). So do you think this is how some manufacturers will get around the law banning 100 watt bulbs in January? They won't be as bright as 100 watt, but should be close and are still incandescent.

CFLs give me migraines. I have had to leave stores before because the lighting was making me ill. I can't even be in a couple rooms at my parents' house because they have CFLs in their ceiling fans. Ugh! Not only is it ugly light (it's their house, not mine), but the flickering coupled with the fan going around gives me a migraine.

It seems that not all people can perceive the flickering from CFLs. My parents swear that their CFLs don't flicker. They don't see it, but I do. I don't know if it is because my brain sees the flicker that I get migraines, or if because I get migraines, I notice the flicker. But it doesn't matter. CFLs are bad for my health.

My husband accidentally broke a CFL bulb in one of our storage closets. The cleanup was horrendous, and we had to throw away all of the bedding that came into contact with the bulb dust.

Horrendous. We have been buying boxes of incandescents ever since.

ETA: When they break, the powder puffs up and goes everywhere. Every shelf and every item in the storage closet had to be cleaned or, if it was clothing or bedding, thrown away.

:eek: I wonder how many actually look up cleanup instructions when they break them. I'm sure many just get the vacuum out, and throw the contaminated stuff in the washing machine and contaminate their machines as well. I also wonder how many CFL's end up in regular landfills.

First lead paint and asbestos, and now this. Will they ever learn?

No CFL's for us, I'd rather use candles...

Ohhhhh, he's an eye doctor! Does he know something about those horrid CFL lights that we don't?

We have some and let me count the things I dislike:

1. The light they give off

2. They do NOT last as long as they claim

3. They don't fit right

4. You practically have to call in the EPA if one breaks

Grrr!

they cause migraines and seizures in people who are prone to them.

HATE THEM. My dd will suffer because of this stupid law. :rant:

LEDs will be perfected soon and the costs will go ever downward. They will save massive amounts of electricity and reduce the carbon footprint.

The doctor will be sitting of worthless junk that wastes recourses if used. And is waste is not used. Waste all the way around.

Bill

Well, LEDs aren't that great either. Problematic for eyes, especially the blue part of the spectrum. Plus, they are so "directional", light headlights, whereas incandescent bulbs "glow all over".

The spectrum of both CFLs and LEDs apparently messes with circadian and endocrine systems. So I don't think LEDs are the answer.

Edited by reading
deleted extra word

This topic gets me worked up. I've been waiting and waiting for this stupid legislation to get repealed, but no luck yet. I'm holding out hope for LEDs. The ones we've bought so far (for a ton of money) have been junk.

Practically speaking, I just can't have the CFLs in my apartment. I have a very active 16 month old boy, and he plays hard. My apartment has a main living space, bedroom, and a bathroom. The main area and bedroom are carpeted. So, if he knocks over a lamp in the main living area and this dust gets call over the carpet, his toys, and my furniture, what am I supposed to do? I can't very well lock him and the cats in the bedroom for an hour while I go through the proper procedures, can I? Or maybe we should all hang out in the bedroom with the air or heat turned off until my DH comes home from work how ever many hours later. After using tape to pick up the dust from everywhere (like inside all the nooks and corners of his toys :glare:), am I really going to rest thinking I possibly got it all out of the carpet? Nope. I'm going to worry every time he drops a darn Cheerio on the floor.

Not having them here.

You know, I used to get migraines at a rate of, like, 1-2 per year. I've gotten 3 in the past month alone (new apartment==>new CFL bulbs). I never even thought of the light bulbs as being the reason behind this. Thank you!

:lol::lol:

Dimmable CFLs do exist as do mercury free ones (MEGAMAN), just requires a bit of research.

I get migraines from overhead fluorescent lights but not from CFLs.

The other thing I wonder about lifespan wise comes from when I used to be involved in theatre lighting. I was told never to touch a bulb with my skin as the oils are supposed to reduce the life of the lamp. We always used gloves or cloths. And the cheap supermarket 99p bulbs are rubbish incomparison to the more expensive brand ones.

I wonder if electric use will stay the same or even go up because people will just leave them on all the time. :glare:

Why would people leave them on all the time?

I've already replaced all the bulbs in our house with CFLs, except the nightlight in the bathroom. That includes chandeliers and dimmable lights. (and one dimmable chandelier)

We buy the "soft white" ones, so the light they put off is pretty close to an incandescent bulb (I don't care for the bright white or "daylight" bulbs regardless of type).

Recently - in the past year and a half - I have started replacing with LEDs. (First were the mini-spots in our kitchen, originally halogen) They're ridiculously expensive, but are supposed to last 15 years, and since the CFLs last so long, I'm thinking we'll be replacing about 1 a year (with the exception of the spots, those have been about one every 4 months as the halogens go). The LED spots are basically indistinguishable from the halogens next to them.

I have a history of migraines, and have had no issue at all. They are not the CFLs of the 80s and early 90s. Those were horrible. These are instant-on, no flickering. A couple are not exactly full brightness when it's cold, but they come up quickly.