Menu

Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God?

I am curious as to what you all think and I hope my Muslim mamas here chime in. :)

I have been studying the Middle East and Islam for a while. I am a Christian.

I had no clue until recently that Abraham was so significant in Islam. That then made me think that Allah and God seem to be the same.

I think Jesus is seen as a prophet (??? or just a nice guy lol) but not the son of God.

Help me think this through please. Thank you so much!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Islam and Christianity use many of the same terms, such as "God." However, the meanings of the terms are often different. Islam espouses many things similar to Christianity at the basics concerning theology of who God is and what He is like, but there are significant differences, too.

An example would be that Christians use the word "trinity" to mean the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Many Muslims think that the "trinity" in Christianity represents God, Mary, and Jesus. So just because Muslims and Christians may use the same terms when they are talking, they don't necessarily carry the same meanings.

I have Muslim friends, and we have interesting conversations about these things.

It's my understanding that they do. SOTW 2 taught us last week that the angel Gabriel even appeared to Muhammed. You know, the same angel who appeared throughout the Bible carrying God's messages. :)

From what I've been told, the major difference is in whether Jesus is the son of God or another prophet. And Islam puts emphasis on Muhammed, who Christians don't recognize as a prophet.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As a Christian, I do not believe that Muslims and Christians believe in the same God. If you read the Koran and the Bible, I don't see how anyone could possibly come to that conclusion.

I haven't read the whole Koran but enough to know that it is very different from the Bible.

I'm currently teaching about Judaism, Christianity and Islam to 7th grade students. Historically, the Arabic race is traced back to Ishmael, the first son of Abraham by his maid, Hagar.

I do not believe that the qualities of Allah in the Koran are similar to the qualities of Jehovah/God in the Old/New Testament.

Personally, I don't think it matters whether I think that these religions worship the same God or not.

If I could take the Old Testament alone I would say the answer is yes, but with the light of the New Testament shining on the Old I'd have to say no. The NT reveals and clarifies much that the OT leaves us in the dark about, and that makes all the difference IMO.

I'm stepping out of this before it really begins. I've got a class tonight, a family to feed, and a kid to get to football. Darn it! :D

It's my understanding that they do. SOTW 2 taught us last week that the angel Gabriel even appeared to Muhammed. You know, the same angel who appeared throughout the Bible carrying God's messages. :)

From what I've been told, the major difference is in whether Jesus is the son of God or another prophet. And Islam puts emphasis on Muhammed, who Christians don't recognize as a prophet.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what sparked the conversation with my children.

Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the God of Abraham.

Whether or not they agree on how to describe, define, and/or worship Him is a different question.

:iagree:

Here's an old thread I started where some of this is discussed: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95040&highlight=muslim

hth

:001_smile:

Thank you, this is one of the posts I've referred to many times.

Here is an example of how Muslims and Christians have similar theology about God, yet important differences. Muslims regard 99 traditional beautiful names of God. Christians generally agree with 96 of the names being consistent with the Bible. However, Christians do not agree with three of the names, including the Islamic beliefs that God is the Schemer and that God is The Source of Death.

So while there are many similiarites regarding what Muslims and Christians believe about God, there are also important differences in Muslims' and Christians' concepts of God's character.

Whether or not they agree on how to describe, define, and/or worship Him is a different question.

This. Which is actually why I think there is so much animosity between these groups. Everyone wonders how they got so close to, yet so far from, "the truth" (as their religion states it). But that's a whole 'nother thread.

Yeah. :(

I honestly didn't think it would be a "heated" question. I am just curious how others believe.

No right or wrong answer to my question.

This may get pretty ugly. But so far it has made it to three pages fairly civilly.

You are correct. There is no right or wrong answer to your question. It will depend on who you ask. On both sides, some say yes. Some say no.

I will add that most denominations/sects that call themselves Christians (not all) believe that Christ is part of the deity that they call God. Therefore, my answer has to be no, not necessarily.

Here is an example of how Muslims and Christians have similar theology about God, yet important differences. Muslims regard 99 traditional beautiful names of God. Christians generally agree with 96 of the names being consistent with the Bible. However, Christians do not agree with three of the names, including the Islamic beliefs that God is the Schemer and that God is The Source of Death.

So while there are many similiarites regarding what Muslims and Christians believe about God, there are also important differences in Muslims' and Christians' concepts of God's character.

Which groups of Christians agree with the 96 names?

Meaning, Christianity is awfully fractured itself to be sweeping 96 agreeable names.

Well, Muslims believe that Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God ("And do not argue with the People of the Scripture [=Jews and Christians] except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him.'" --Quran 29:46).

And the Pope has said that Muslims and Catholics worship the same God ("But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims: these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day" -- Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium 16, November 21, 1964.)

Hope that helps.

The Christian God is Trintarian. Islam rejects Trinitarianism, and is purely monotheistic.

This is not my opinion; it is the teaching of each religion. You can draw your own conclusions.

Jews also reject the trinity. Yet many Evangelical Christians emphasize an important relationship between Jews and Christians. Certainly history has shown plenty of conflict between Jews and Christians, on the other hand.

Also not all Christians throughout time have believed in the trinity.

Jews, Christians, and Muslims all presume to worship the God of Abraham. Each in their own ways. Each (generally speaking) think the way they worship in the "correct way" (granting that there are serious intra-religious splits with-in each of these faiths).

Some (not all) Christians will claim they worship a different God than Muslims because their God is a Triune God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost) but that would (if the logic is accepted) also mean that Christians worship a different God than do the Jews.

Islam includes all the Prophets of the Hebrew Bible as Prophets of God, and they also include Jesus (and Muhammad) in the list of Prophets.

Bill

Well, Muslims believe that Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God ("And do not argue with the People of the Scripture [=Jews and Christians] except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him.'" --Quran 29:46).

And the Pope has said that Muslims and Catholics worship the same God ("But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims: these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day" -- Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium 16, November 21, 1964.)

Hope that helps.

Thank you for posting these quotes.

AngleBee,

Well my 1st thought upon seeing this thread title made me chuckle and think, "Oh boy, here we go again..., this ought to be interesting...".

...and now here I am posting after reading the thread so far. It depends who you ask, and whose answer you're looking for. You'll get varying answers, even from within each community, Christian & Muslim, so you have to take that into consideration.

My simple answer as a Christian is that no, they don't, not by a long shot. In the Q'ran, Allah is has a very different persona than Jehovah of the Christian Bible. For one example, Jehova has fatherly attributes (in addition to being called "Father") but Allah doesn't. ETA: And what Georgiana said above, that Jesus IS God - this belief is fundamental to Christianity. The God of the Bible and the God of the Q'ran do not match. If you read both texts in light of how they are generally interpreted by each religion's followers (which is more than one way for each) you will still find the contradictions.

There have been books written, documentaries made (some of which are available on Netflix), and university lectures given on the topic ad naseaum. There are plenty from each viewpoint and some from a middle-ground taking a neutral look at it. Some of them are really interesting and could help you form your own conclusion.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Those of you who think they're different gods, do you have a mental image of your god in a human form? Do you picture the heavens as populated with multiple gods all listening to their own followers? Or do you think that your particular god is the only one and others are just praying to the ether?

I know that might sound flip, but I am sincerely curious as to how that works. When i was practicing, I never really thought there might be more than one god (when speaking of the big three religions). I assumed they'd all be the same. Obviously (??) when you're speaking of the Greek tradition, or Hindus, etc I assumed they'd be praying to their clearly different gods.

AngleBee,

Well my 1st thought upon seeing this thread title made me chuckle and think, "Oh boy, here we go again..., this ought to be interesting...".

...and now here I am posting after reading the thread so far. It depends who you ask, and whose answer you're looking for. You'll get varying answers, even from within each community, Christian & Muslim, so you have to take that into consideration.

My simple answer as a Christian is that no, they don't, not by a long shot. In the Q'ran, Allah is has a very different persona than Jehovah of the Christian Bible. For one example, Jehova has fatherly attributes (in addition to being called "Father") but Allah doesn't. The God of the Bible and the God of the Q'ran do not match. If you read both texts in light of how they are generally interpreted by each religion's followers (which is more than one way for each) you will still find the contradictions.

There have been books written, documentaries made (some of which are available on Netflix), and university lectures given on the topic ad naseaum. There are plenty from each viewpoint and some from a middle-ground taking a neutral look at it. Some of them are really interesting and could help you form your own conclusion.

I want to read the Q'ran, but I haven't read the Bible all the way through yet. :( Pathetic....I know

Yes, they do.

My allergies are acting up so I am not in the mood for a debate, y'all have fun. :lol:

I am a Christian.

Except that it's not allergies, it's a bunch of fussy kids. But I'd say different understandings, same God. I guess I don't really understand a different answer: if there's only one God, then who else would they be worshiping? Even if you think their understanding of God is totally and completely wrong, I still think the conclusion would have to be that they were worshiping God but misunderstanding him, not that they were worshiping a different God.

If somebody thinks Obama is a centrist compromiser afraid to push for real change, and somebody else thinks he's a great leader, and somebody else thinks that he's a Kenyan anti-colonist intent on destroying the nation, we're all still talking about the same guy, not three different Obamas. We could say that one (or two, or all) of those conceptions of him is wrong, but it's still talking about the same person. I think this is the same thing.

Edited by twoforjoy

I actually looked on Netflix for documentary type stuff regarding Islam. But a lot of it is war related..not really the angle I am looking for.

I have been watching Iranian films. More about Islamic woman and their culture. Actually mind blowing for me in a good way. :)

It is just beautiful to me how very alike we all really are....despite our theological beliefs. :001_wub: Same fear, same dreams, same heart break, same joys. Makes me get teary. :)

Love these threads for the length of time that people play nice and really try to learn something from one another!

Because I believe that Jesus IS God, then I'd have to say no, we do not worship the same God as Muslims.

*Said without snark, and with all due respect.* Jews don't recognize Christ as part of God, so do you believe they worship a different God than you?

Those of you who think they're different gods, do you have a mental image of your god in a human form? Do you picture the heavens as populated with multiple gods all listening to their own followers? Or do you think that your particular god is the only one and others are just praying to the ether?

I know that might sound flip, but I am sincerely curious as to how that works. When i was practicing, I never really thought there might be more than one god (when speaking of the big three religions). I assumed they'd all be the same. Obviously (??) when you're speaking of the Greek tradition, or Hindus, etc I assumed they'd be praying to their clearly different gods.

In my experience, those who believe their is only one God either believe that others are praying to nothing or praying to demons/evil forces.....which is what they use to explain the "miracles" other faiths may experience.

*Said without snark, and with all due respect.* Jews don't recognize Christ as part of God, so do you believe they worship a different God than you?

Maybe they are seen as the same due to Christianity stemming from them in Old Testament. ???

I think that is what shocked me about all of the things "same" in Islam and Christianity....I had never heard about them being the same. :001_huh:

Maybe they are seen as the same due to Christianity stemming from them in Old Testament. ???

I think that is what shocked me about all of the things "same" in Islam and Christianity....I had never heard about them being the same. :001_huh:

That's what I thought, but when you get to where people are saying "Jesus IS God," is that also to say that you can't have God without Jesus?

Great question!

I have always believed Jewish people worship the same God, but without the "full" revelation. (Not meant in any way to make their understanding sound "lesser" or anything like that--like how it probably comes across on the screen.) Now, if you ask someone of the Jewish faith, they might very well disagree that we worship the same God!

Could it also be that the Muslims feel the same way about Christians that the Christians (generally) feel about the Jewish people? Possibly!

When I examine the character of the Christian God versus the Muslim one (only in my understanding) I do not see how they could be the same.

The New Testament says that Jesus is the only way to God so...........no, you can't have God without Jesus if you believe in the New Testament.

Okay, but that isn't necessarily true is it? God existed BEFORE Jesus, and he would still exist if there were no Jesus. Even according to the New Testament. BUT you can't have SALVATION without Jesus. Or did I totally screw that up?

Great question!

I have always believed Jewish people worship the same God, but without the "full" revelation. (Not meant in any way to make their understanding sound "lesser" or anything like that--like how it probably comes across on the screen.) Now, if you ask someone of the Jewish faith, they might very well disagree that we worship the same God!

Could it also be that the Muslims feel the same way about Christians that the Christians (generally) feel about the Jewish people? Possibly!

When I examine the character of the Christian God versus the Muslim one (only in my understanding) I do not see how they could be the same.

Muslims believe that both Judaism and Christianity have corrupted the scriptures. Islam teaches prophecy revealed through Allah. Christianity teaches prophecy and the Word fulfilled through Christ.